TV on TV

What's not currently on the box
Scary
625 lines

Re: TV on TV

Post by Scary »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:In early epsiodes of Peep Show, Mark and Jez make decisions based on what "God" is painting - actually satellite re-runs of the PBS series The Joy of Painting.
The original concpet behind Peep Show was to be them watching and commenting on TV, kind of like a British Beavis and Butthead. Though I suspect that there was still some of that idea in the early ones due to them shopping for a TV in the opening titles

simon10011
405 lines

Post by simon10011 »

In a Men Behaving Badly episode Gary, Tony, Dorothy and Deborah are watching the Star Trek episode City on the Edge of Forever and are actually commenting on what's happening on screen.

Wakey
405 lines

Post by Wakey »

Billy Smart wrote:... There always seemed to be something exclusively strange and chaotic about drama made by LWT in comparison with the other ITV companies.
I can guess why. I've just read Rex Firkin's memoir, which includes his time as head of drama for LWT, and it sounds like LWT was itself perpetually strange and chaotic.

Left Field
405 lines

Post by Left Field »

Some examples that come quickly to mind:

a number of examples of in-vision Granada continuity in "Watching" including Charles Foster and Andrew Brittain on screen;
Victor Meldrew in "One Foot in the Grave" settling down to watch "Prisoner: Cell Block H", hearing a snatch of the theme tune then falling asleep;
Victor switching on "Neighbours" for a heavily bandaged patient he believes is Mrs. Warboys - again only the theme is briefly heard;
a character in the Public Eye episde "Horse and Carriage" asks to stay up late to watch wrestling which we see briefly on screen.

Quite often - as in the case of "Watching" - the in-vision clips are from programmes or footage made by the same company which makes matters for the producers much more straightforward. Broadcasting sections of theme tunes which have been released on disc rather than scenes from the actual programme as in two of the examples also makes things easier.

This thread could be multiplied many times if mere mention of other programmes or films in TV series were included. Another interesting angle is unusual links to other programmes such as a sighting of UFO sweet cigarettes in the sweet shop scenes in the Thriller episode "File It under Fear".

Bodie
625 lines

Post by Bodie »

In the "String" episode of the Goodies, Tim passes the television and sees/hears the start of "Hello Cheeky". "Well... they put it on at the wrong time!" he explains, hurriedly switching it off.

There's another episode (or was it also String?) that ends with the trio sitting down to watch TV and catching the end credits of The Goodies. We see the team as if we are looking out of their TV set, with the credits rolling up the screen backwards.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Left Field wrote:This thread could be multiplied many times if mere mention of other programmes or films in TV series were included.
If we were to include films, there's the obvious example of Quadrophenia, which has Jimmy's parents - supposedly in 1964 - watching the 1961 Avengers episode The Frighteners. The film was also made at a time when the episode was supposedly "lost."
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
Left Field wrote:This thread could be multiplied many times if mere mention of other programmes or films in TV series were included.
If we were to include films, there's the obvious example of Quadrophenia, which has Jimmy's parents - supposedly in 1964 - watching the 1961 Avengers episode The Frighteners. The film was also made at a time when the episode was supposedly "lost."
I'm not sure where that story came from, but a clip from the episode features in Ian Hendry's "This Is Your Life", in 1978.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

There certainly seems to be plenty more, judging by all the excellent examples given, some great ones, there.

In the "Bless this House" episode, "A Woman's Place", Sid and Sally are watching a film glimpsed at briefly, before a newsflash appears ( the sound is turned down at this point, no doubt to disguise the fact that the footage of Reginald Bosanquet shown is not newsflash material).

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:If we were to include films, there's the obvious example of Quadrophenia, which has Jimmy's parents - supposedly in 1964 - watching the 1961 Avengers episode The Frighteners. The film was also made at a time when the episode was supposedly "lost."
I'm intrigued. Where, as far back as 1979, was anyone reporting on the existence, or otherwise, of Avengers episodes?
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Mark wrote:
Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
I'm not sure where that story came from, but a clip from the episode features in Ian Hendry's "This Is Your Life", in 1978.
Dave Rogers started pushing the idea that he had "found" it in the late-1980s. I recall a screening at the Bradford Film Theatre in the 1990s, after which Rogers still managed to proclaim words to the effect of, "Wasn't it good? You wouldn't be seeing it, if it wasn't for me." Astounding.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Simon Coward wrote:
Nick Cooper 625 wrote:If we were to include films, there's the obvious example of Quadrophenia, which has Jimmy's parents - supposedly in 1964 - watching the 1961 Avengers episode The Frighteners. The film was also made at a time when the episode was supposedly "lost."
I'm intrigued. Where, as far back as 1979, was anyone reporting on the existence, or otherwise, of Avengers episodes?
Maybe not in 1979, but Rogers presumably had something to say about the archive status of the early epsiodes in his first book in 1983, for him to later claim to have discovered/saved the episode subsequently.

Service Information
405 lines

Post by Service Information »

A slightly 'off' sounding version of the Sportsnight theme is heard during an episode of the first series of Flesh and Blood (BBC1, 1980)

colourzoom
405 lines

Post by colourzoom »

A few years back I watched the box sets of Nearest & Dearest and The Dustbinmen (public health warning: do not try this at home) and at the time noticed that the characters in both series only ever seemed to watch or talk about other Granada-made programmes. Maybe someone else can back up this theory? Maybe an edict had been issued from "on high" that they were not allowed to refer to other broadcasters?

Left Field
405 lines

Post by Left Field »

That's certainly possible. Watching - pardon the pun - another episode of "Watching" there were back-to-back scenes where different characters were watching the TV and the end music of Coronation Street was heard. However it's also possible the reference to Granada productions was just to reinforce that these were programmes set in the North West and add to the local flavour. Both "Nearest and Dearest" and "Watching" also make regular reference to places in the North West, rooting them in the locality.

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
Simon Coward wrote:
Maybe not in 1979, but Rogers presumably had something to say about the archive status of the early epsiodes in his first book in 1983, for him to later claim to have discovered/saved the episode subsequently.
O/T,but wasn't he bringing out fanzines such as 'On Target' earlier than 1983?

Steve Williams
625 lines

Post by Steve Williams »

On Christmas Day 1991, Corrie was shown around the Queen's Speech, starting at 2.50. Ten minutes in, Alf Roberts sat down and turned on the telly.

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

Steve Williams wrote:On Christmas Day 1991, Corrie was shown around the Queen's Speech, starting at 2.50. Ten minutes in, Alf Roberts sat down and turned on the telly.
Wasn't that an idea they nicked from Radio 4? Did it one year with an episode of 'After Henry' I think.

EDIT: Aha! http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/ra ... 1987-12-25

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

EastEnders did the same but at New Year. Big Ben appeared on a TV set in the Vic and then it mixed to the live one for the 'bongs'

Oddly enough it was the same year as the After Henry that Steve mentioned: http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bb ... 1987-12-31

BrentCleever21
405 lines

Post by BrentCleever21 »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
Simon Coward wrote:
Maybe not in 1979, but Rogers presumably had something to say about the archive status of the early episodes in his first book in 1983, for him to later claim to have discovered/saved the episode subsequently.
I don't think he mentions "archive status". He talks about working from official studio scripts and synopses, and at one point mentions "relying on my own notes" for some first season episodes where the studio documentation was sparse. In those days I think we expected that most stuff was "gone" and "archive status" was a fantasy. Never ever dreamed I'd be able to see an episode of "Fraud Squad" again, let alone "own" the whole series.
The Patrick Wymark Boardroom http://www.wymark.org.uk

neil jung
405 lines

Post by neil jung »

Left Field wrote:That's certainly possible. Watching - pardon the pun - another episode of "Watching" there were back-to-back scenes where different characters were watching the TV and the end music of Coronation Street was heard
But in the next episode Malcolm's mother and auntie were shown watching SAINT & GREAVSIE.

At one point the audio from S&G dominates the scene. So much so that Greaves can clearly be heard complimenting St.John on his "magnificent syrup."

You can also hear Martin Tyler interviewing Peter Reid. Then later on John Helm commentating on Rugby League (Bradford Northern) but that is never in vision.

Left Field
405 lines

Post by Left Field »

Interesting example Neil and I'm sure there are other examples of scenes from shows from the same channel appearing in programmes although it's probably easier for producers to use material made by their own company. I presume though there are no examples of ITV programmes showing clips from BBC productions and vice versa - news programmes and documentaries excepted - but maybe it has happened?

longtimelurker
405 lines

Post by longtimelurker »

Simon Coward wrote:
The first time I knew of missing episodes was a mention in Primetime in the early 1980s, where it said that some of the early episodes were missing. For many years after that it seemed that only about a dozen or so of the pre-Riggs survived (mostly at the B.F.I.). W.T.V.A. and the B.F.I. screened a handful at their events in London, which gave me some idea of what was left. Tony Michele of the B.F.I. also filled me in on the basic facts in a letter and that there were "not many" left of the pre-Rigg series. I remember later in the '80s when negs of the Blackmans came to light (apart from Grandeur That Was Rome, if I recall rightly, which only survived as a print), followed by C4 screenings of selected ones. I do recall too an '80s reprint in Dave Rogers' fanzine of a much earlier fan publication article which commented on the fact that the Blackman episodes no longer existed. So there was knowledge of this subject out there to some degree, if you knew where to find it.

Younger fans today probably don't know how lucky we are to still have most of The Avengers existing. As someone who learned of their eventual uncovering through the '80s, I had until then resigned myself to the larger proportion of the videotaped series being gone for good.

longtimelurker
405 lines

Post by longtimelurker »

BrentCleever21 wrote:Never ever dreamed I'd be able to see an episode of "Fraud Squad" again, let alone "own" the whole series.
You lucky devil. I'm still waiting for series 2 to come out!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

longtimelurker wrote:
Simon Coward wrote:
The first time I knew of missing episodes was a mention in Primetime in the early 1980s, where it said that some of the early episodes were missing. For many years after that it seemed that only about a dozen or so of the pre-Riggs survived (mostly at the B.F.I.). W.T.V.A. and the B.F.I. screened a handful at their events in London, which gave me some idea of what was left. Tony Michele of the B.F.I. also filled me in on the basic facts in a letter and that there were "not many" left of the pre-Rigg series. I remember later in the '80s when negs of the Blackmans came to light (apart from Grandeur That Was Rome, if I recall rightly, which only survived as a print), followed by C4 screenings of selected ones. I do recall too an '80s reprint in Dave Rogers' fanzine of a much earlier fan publication article which commented on the fact that the Blackman episodes no longer existed. So there was knowledge of this subject out there to some degree, if you knew where to find it.

Younger fans today probably don't know how lucky we are to still have most of The Avengers existing. As someone who learned of their eventual uncovering through the '80s, I had until then resigned myself to the larger proportion of the videotaped series being gone for good.
I had a couple of episodes on VHS, back in the 80's, "Death Of A Great Dane" and "The Trojan Horse" ( not the greatest quality, though).

I think On Target started around the time of the first book ( and later Stay Tuned), have most of those from the time.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Left Field wrote:Interesting example Neil and I'm sure there are other examples of scenes from shows from the same channel appearing in programmes although it's probably easier for producers to use material made by their own company. I presume though there are no examples of ITV programmes showing clips from BBC productions and vice versa - news programmes and documentaries excepted - but maybe it has happened?
Can't think of any ITV shows featuring BBC clips, they were so expensive, even quiz shows like "We Love TV" stayed clear of them ( when asking questions on "Steptoe", they used clips from the films).

It was more sensible for companies to plug their own shows, even the titles for "The Dustbinmen" featured a plug for "Corrie", in the shape of a Newton & Ridley beer can.

(Thanks to Neil Lambess on the MEF) he mentions a scene in "All Gas And Gaiters", where a character ill in bed, cheers up, when "Doctor Who" starts on TV, ( you hear the theme again).

BrentCleever21
405 lines

Post by BrentCleever21 »

longtimelurker wrote:
BrentCleever21 wrote:Never ever dreamed I'd be able to see an episode of "Fraud Squad" again, let alone "own" the whole series.
You lucky devil. I'm still waiting for series 2 to come out!
My mistake - when I said "the whole series" I meant series 1. Didn't realise there was a series 2.
The Patrick Wymark Boardroom http://www.wymark.org.uk

boblet
405 lines

Post by boblet »

Mark wrote:Can't think of any ITV shows featuring BBC clips, they were so expensive,
I'm pretty sure The Royle Family was a BBC show which used ITV clips - bear in mind it was made for the BBC by Granada...

neil jung
405 lines

Post by neil jung »

Still watching, uh, WATCHING and in the 1988 Christmas episode MOTORMOUTH appears on Brenda's TV.

Believe that was a TVS show.

A few episodes earlier a version of the SOUTH BANK SHOW theme tune is heard but there's nothing in vision.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

boblet wrote:
Mark wrote:Can't think of any ITV shows featuring BBC clips, they were so expensive,
I'm pretty sure The Royle Family was a BBC show which used ITV clips - bear in mind it was made for the BBC by Granada...
Yes, could get confusing couldn't it, never seen that show though, good one!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

neil jung wrote:Still watching, uh, WATCHING and in the 1988 Christmas episode MOTORMOUTH appears on Brenda's TV.

Believe that was a TVS show.

A few episodes earlier a version of the SOUTH BANK SHOW theme tune is heard but there's nothing in vision.
Not watched this one for ages, a cover version of the "SBS" theme, was it?