Fictional TV on TV - the shows that weren't

What's not currently on the box
Mark Wright
405 lines

Fictional TV on TV - the shows that weren't

Post by Mark Wright »

Reading through the "TV on TV" thread got me thinking: it might be fun (!) for us to remember some of the many fictional TV shows that have been referenced - or even glimpsed - over the years, within other TV shows. That were fictional (the imagined shows). Not the shows that featured them (which existed.)

Erm..

For instance! When will we see a DVD commentary by Fawlty Tower's Mr Hutchinson, to accompany the Squawking Bird televisual feast he was denied at the time?
Will a full episode of Thames Television's wiped sitcom "Do Shut Up!" - so enjoyed by Homer Simpson - ever be unearthed? Someone should get onto PBS.
Why has the Paul Coia quiz "A Question of Hills", now in its 29th series, been confined only to viewers in Scotland for all these years?
Is Italy's RAI1 still showing repeats of doomed UK soap "The Bureau" in the afternoon? How many episodes were there in total?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7scMC7YSDQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8d8F6kez1c

Or maybe not?

Mickey
625 lines

Re: Fictional TV on TV - the shows that weren't

Post by Mickey »

Why do we never see Bart Simpsons' favourite TV show "Itchy & Scratchy" winning any awards? Wikipedia states that "The Simpsons" is:
...the longest-running prime-time animated series in the United States. In 2004, The Simpsons replaced The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet (1952 to 1966) as the longest-running sitcom (animated or live action) in the United States.
but "Itchy & Scratchy" must surely have been running longer, since Bart has always been a fan.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

I'm not sure whether any scenes were ever shown being played out on a TV, but the residents of Brookside Close often used to mention a non-existent soap opera entitled "Meadowcroft Park".

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

If we're mentioning US programmes, then there's the soap opera "Invitation to Love" which appears in most first season episodes of Twin Peaks.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

Arthur Fowler in EastEnders once appeared on a game show called 'Cat and Mouse', I don't think we saw any of that on the programme, unlike 'Gold Rush, the Millionaire spoof that Del Boy appeared on

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

In Home and Away a character was appearing in a (I assume fictional as I don't know Australian schedules) fictional "Reality" show called "The Dorm" taking place in a boarding school.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Mickey wrote: but "Itchy & Scratchy" must surely have been running longer, since Bart has always been a fan.
Itchy and Scratchy have been around since 1928, but when they transferred to TV is anyone's guess. The Krusty the Clown Show, of which they are a segment, has been on air since at least 1961.

Phil Collins played the host of a game show called Rat Race in an episode of Miami Vice. And of course, Bastard Squad from The Young Ones and Oo-Err Sounds A Bit Rude from Filthy, Rich and Catflap.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

As already mentioned in the other thread, Game On had an American soap called Sunset Beach, a couple of years before the actual American soap Sunset Beach.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Arthur Fowler's appearance on the game show Cat and Mouse showed once agian how atrociously television imitates itself.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

In dinnerladies, Brenda appears on the live daytime quiz show Totally Trivial, hosted by Henry Kelly.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

As a teenager, Daphne Moon from Frasier appeared in a sitcom about boarding school girls called Mind Your Knickers.

Another Young Ones sitcom: Oh Crikey!

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

Terrance and Phillip show in South Park
All My Circuits in Futurama

I guess it's far easier to have fake tv shows in animation. Then there's the game show that Del Boy won in OFAH , think it was called Goldrush , and was a bit like Millionaire.

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

Ross wrote:Another Young Ones sitcom: Oh Crikey!
and the show for "young people" by "young people" 'Nozin Aroun'

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

There was a fictional TV pub quiz show called "Fact Hunt" in the Al Murray sitcom Time Gentlemen Please. A while later, ITV commissioned a programme with that very title, but unlike the fictional version it wasn't hosted by 'Cheeky' Alan Supple (Frank Skinner).

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

How about "Eoin McLove" on Father Ted? (Or "Niamh Connolly" for that matter?)

And what was the name of the fictional show which was being made on The Paul Squire Show? I think it was P.S. It's Paul Squire - which, confusingly, became the name of an actual show a couple of years later. I think...

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

I suppose there never really was a quiz show called "Annually Retentive".

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

An episode of the excellent 80's Yorkshire TV series, "Room At The Bottom", featured a quiz show called "The Big One".
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Let's not forget BBC3's "The Passing Parade", live from Devil's End in the Dr Who story The Daemons!

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

marsey wrote:Terrance and Phillip show in South Park
All My Circuits in Futurama

I guess it's far easier to have fake tv shows in animation. Then there's the game show that Del Boy won in OFAH , think it was called Goldrush , and was a bit like Millionaire.
Accross the Atlantic, they had "Clerks the animated series" which featured a show called "The secret diary of Desmond Pfeiffer"... Which despite being more obscure than its host/parent, really did exist.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

"Androids, everybody needs good Androids."
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

Service Information
405 lines

Post by Service Information »

In 'Come Back Mrs Noah', I seem to remember teatime magazine 'Far and Wide' (with a cameo by Michael Barratt)

squidney
405 lines

Post by squidney »

'when the Whistle Blows' was the fictional sitcom starring Ricky Gervais' character, Andy Millman in 'Extras'

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

Beaker wrote:"Androids, everybody needs good Androids."
An example too of a fictional TV channel: Groovy Channel 27

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Scary wrote:
Beaker wrote:"Androids, everybody needs good Androids."
An example too of a fictional TV channel: Groovy Channel 27
Plus Network 23 (and others) in Mad Headroom.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Jezza
625 lines

Post by Jezza »

The Paul Temple episode "Cue Murder!" had a fictional show (the name escapes me for now!), it was a cross between Whodunnit and Crimewatch...it even had it's own VT clock that flashed up on screen for a few seconds!

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

Jezza wrote:The Paul Temple episode "Cue Murder!" had a fictional show (the name escapes me for now!), it was a cross between Whodunnit and Crimewatch...it even had it's own VT clock that flashed up on screen for a few seconds!
'Guilty Party' chaired by Humphrey Dean (Philip Madoc).

I'd also mention the US Stephen Bochco series 'Murder One' which had a whole plethora. There was the fictional channel 'Law TV' (which was intended to replicate the real cable channel Court TV). There was the tabloid TV interview show 'Deadline America' presented by Connie Dahlgren. And the defendant in the first series was said to have got his break as an actor by being cast in the soap 'All for One'.

Also what about 'Questioned by Carrington' in 'Porterhouse Blue'?

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

The first Prime Suspect featured a Crimewatch-type show called Crimetime.

But best of all for me is the sitcom that the characters in the Play for Today: Foxtrot watch, which reflects their own lives. God that's a great play.

David Smith
405 lines

Post by David Smith »

Corrie featured a fictional quiz show too - Top of the Tree which members of the Barlow family went on. As I recall it was quite convincingly done! Michael Fenton Stevens played the host.
Mark Wright wrote: Why has the Paul Coia quiz "A Question of Hills", now in its 29th series, been confined only to viewers in Scotland for all these years?
Don't get the reference here, what's this all about? A Google search only brings up one fairly vague tweet...

Billy
405 lines

Post by Billy »

First youtube link in the first post of this thread.