Fictional TV on TV - the shows that weren't

What's not currently on the box
cdnbob
625 lines

Re: Fictional TV on TV - the shows that weren't

Post by cdnbob »

Don't know if this qualifies or not but in the 70s variety series for American commedienne Carol Burnett had a running spoof of U.S. soap opera's called "As The Stomach Turns".

squidney
405 lines

Post by squidney »

How about 'Pigs In Space' on the Muppet Show?

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

I don't think anyone's yet mentioned the programme that's at the centre of Terence Rattigan's "Heart to Heart" (The Largest Theatre in the World, BBC Television, 06/12/1962).

I've not seen this production, so I'm not entirely sure - is the programme-within-the-programme also called "Heart to Heart"?
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

Simon Coward wrote:I don't think anyone's yet mentioned the programme that's at the centre of Terence Rattigan's "Heart to Heart" (The Largest Theatre in the World, BBC Television, 06/12/1962).

I've not seen this production, so I'm not entirely sure - is the programme-within-the-programme also called "Heart to Heart"?
Yes it was. A thinly-veiled version of 'Face to Face', so close that John Freeman got an apology for the implication that David Mann was based on him. (He was.)

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

'Heart to Heart' is well worth watching, too, featuring a rare TV performance from Ralph Richardson and set in an interesting contemporary TV setting. Its available on the BBC Rattigan DVD set.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

That reminds me - the drama programme within An Englishman's Castle was... An Englishman's Castle!
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

The Wooksta!
405 lines

Post by The Wooksta! »

How about...

"Acorn Antiques" on various Victoria Wood series.

Amongst others on Monty Python's Flying Circus, my favourite would have to be "Blackmail", although "The Bishop" runs it a close second.

The "Time Tunnel" spoof serial "Drunk in Time" on The All New Alexei Sayle Show 2, featuring Peter Capaldi. The previous series had a spoof Australian soap set in a mental hospital.

The Fast Show's "Channel 9", obviously. And of course, John Actor as tough, uncompromising cop Monkfish in "Monkfish"

Harry Enfield's ITC spoof serial with Martin Clunes, The Playboys.

Finally, Top Gear's take on various ITC series, The Interceptors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLp4FhDAfQk
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

The Farmer
405 lines

Post by The Farmer »

While watching the repeat of The Rockford Files Season 5 on the BBC there are several fictional shows and programs on Jim´s TV.
In ´A Good Clean Bust with Sequal Rights´ the episode starts with Jim and his father watchting the intro of a fictional detective series called ´Falcone´, complete with a catchy tune.

George White
625 lines

Post by George White »

Avon TV's This is Your Dish - Theatre of Blood
The Peter Sallis hosted cooking series in Who is KIlling the Great Chefs of Europe?
Jules and Mimi - Sex and the City
Secret Army/Kessler - the reunion series they're brought out on.

Killing of Sister George - Applehurst

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

'The Magic Rabbits' were always turning up on Brookside. At one point Barry Grant even recorded them over a gangster's sex tape in a bungled blackmail.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

In Catweazle the farm hand Sam watches a programme about racing drivers called They Diced With Death. He has to go to Hexwood Farm to see it (at "half nine") because his mother always watches Memory Lane at that time "on the other channel".

~iw

George White
625 lines

Post by George White »

Fictional UK TV stations
UKBC in Morons from Outer Space
GBTV in Who's Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?
London Television/LTV (ITV region) in The Final Conflict
BTV in various inc. Quatermass '79 (in the novelisation, all ITV regions and BBC merged into one - soon a possibility, it seems) and Community
Avon TV in Theatre of Blood
East Coast TV/ECTV in Only When I Laugh.

Mark Wright
405 lines

Post by Mark Wright »

Richly superb (superbly rich?) pickings here, in a thread I started but neglected to revisit! Lots of ready-made content begging to be harvested by a passing blogger.

A few more, though I'm not sure deliberate pastiche/parodies of existing shows really count in the meta universe I originally intended (fun anyway):

Knight Boat - the crime SOLVING boat ("Grr, every week there's a canal, or an inlet, or a fjord") ("Oh no, they're headed for land.")
Don't Be Dirty - "the show that shows you don't have to be dirteeh" "oh, piss."
Which Hand Is It In? - "seven years studying architecture and they didn't teach you to tell which hand it is in?"
Topic/World In Focus - "thank you for the commercial Minister, perhaps we can start the programme now"
Father Ben

An obscure curio for those who know/whom it may concern (and all that type of thing):

https://youtu.be/E4fauZ1Bq4Y?t=42s

andrew baker
625 lines

Post by andrew baker »

In Doctor Who "Remembrance of the Daleks" (1988) set in 1963 a TV shows the announcement of the first episode of a new science fiction series..." but is cut off at that moment. So was it Dr Who or a parallel universe equivalent???

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

In The Year Of The Sex Olympics, as well as the title programme and The Live Life Show there's "Artsex", featuring an old fashioned striptease act.

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

andrew baker wrote:In Doctor Who "Remembrance of the Daleks" (1988) set in 1963 a TV shows the announcement of the first episode of a new science fiction series..." but is cut off at that moment. So was it Dr Who or a parallel universe equivalent???
Logically, there must be a show called "Doctor Who" in the DW universe, as Richard Dawkins has appeared in the show, and he's married to Lalla Ward. If he exists in the Whoniverse, then so must she - and her filmography with her.

Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

In an episode of Filthy, Rich and Catflap, Richie appears on the show 'O-er, sounds a bit rude' which is a spoof of Blankety Blank

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Jaz_Wiseman wrote:In an episode of Filthy, Rich and Catflap, Richie appears on the show 'O-er, sounds a bit rude' which is a spoof of Blankety Blank
With Chris Barrie playing a camp TV producer in a Hawaiian shirt. Can't think where they got that idea from...

George White
625 lines

Post by George White »

George White wrote:Fictional UK TV stations
BTV in various inc. Quatermass '79 (in the novelisation, all ITV regions and BBC merged into one - soon a possibility, it seems) and Community
Trog features a "Peak Television".

boblet
405 lines

Post by boblet »

George White wrote:Fictional UK TV stations
Borderland Television in The Bagthorpe Saga (or was that just the books?)

EBC1 - Emu's Broadcasting Company - but there's another EBC (English Broadcasting Corporation) in LWT's The Guardians, whose continuity announcers cheerily invite viewers to rat on suspected illegal aliens in a "Don't forget to switch off your set" style.

The Young Ones' spoof of University Challenge is apparently made by "Grenada Television".

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

"WBC Dateline News" in Whoops Apocalypse and "CBN's Barbara Wintergreen" in The Day Today - both fictional US stations.

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

Scary wrote:Arthur Fowler in EastEnders once appeared on a game show called 'Cat and Mouse', I don't think we saw any of that on the programme, unlike 'Gold Rush, the Millionaire spoof that Del Boy appeared on
One question he was asked was who played Ena Sharples in "Coronation Street" which he answered correctly!

There was also Pinky and Perky's "PPCtv" station.

One edition of Spike Milligan's, "There's a lot of it About" included, "Laugh at a Cretin" which was presumably based on, "Game for a Laugh"

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Focus II wrote:
Scary wrote:Arthur Fowler in EastEnders once appeared on a game show called 'Cat and Mouse', I don't think we saw any of that on the programme, unlike 'Gold Rush, the Millionaire spoof that Del Boy appeared on
One edition of Spike Milligan's, "There's a lot of it About" included, "Laugh at a Cretin" which was presumably based on, "Game for a Laugh"
Similarly "Chuck A Sausage" in Victoria Wood's Over To Pam, Alma Mottershed answering the questions and husband Jim chucking the sausages. Based on Bullseye?

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Brock wrote:"WBC Dateline News" in Whoops Apocalypse and "CBN's Barbara Wintergreen" in The Day Today - both fictional US stations.
Also RBS in the superlative Special Bulletin.

George White
625 lines

Post by George White »

Manx TV - ITV region in Mindhorn.

TonyCurrie
625 lines

Post by TonyCurrie »

I recollect an episode of "The Lucy Show" in which Lucy and Vivian (Vance) somehow got themselves into the audience of the fictional US pop show "Ringding"

spflog1
625 lines

Post by spflog1 »

George White wrote: BTV in various inc. Quatermass '79 (in the novelisation, all ITV regions and BBC merged into one - soon a possibility, it seems) and Community
Ah yes, there was the wonderful BTV 'family show' Tittupy Bumpity on Quatermass.

I seem to recall a parody police drama called The Filth appearing on a show from around 1990 but I can't recall which one.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

spflog1 wrote:I seem to recall a parody police drama called The Filth appearing on a show from around 1990 but I can't recall which one.
Screenplay: The Black and Blue Lamp (07/09/88).

spflog1
625 lines

Post by spflog1 »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
spflog1 wrote:I seem to recall a parody police drama called The Filth appearing on a show from around 1990 but I can't recall which one.
Screenplay: The Black and Blue Lamp (07/09/88).
Yes, just read a description of it and that's definitely the one. Well done!

Ian Fryer
405 lines

Post by Ian Fryer »

Too many from End of Part One to detail them all, but the syrupy gameshow Mr and Mr and Mrs made by fictional ITV region Boredom Television always makes me smile.