'The Wednesday Play'/'Play For Today' on DVD

What's not currently on the box
Simon36
HD

Re: 'The Wednesday Play'/'Play For Today' on DVD

Post by Simon36 »

I would hazard a guess that The Parachute's move to Play of the Month was because it was felt it deserved that more prestigious slot, as I would think POTM was viewed as at the time. POTM was usually a televising of a theatre favourite, but it did occasionally showcase new work, and with the combo of Mercer writing and Osborne starring, and it being a a product of such quality (it won the Prix Italia that year), perhaps that move was considered an accolade.

bent_halo
Committee

Post by bent_halo »

Good stuff, Billy. I noticed the other day that Cathy Come Home is now available on Region 'A' Blu-Ray, as part of the Criterion edition of Kes. Is that the first TWP on BD?

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

I've added all of the Alan Clarke At The BBC titles to the list at the top of this thread.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

And 36 Play for Todays on BBC Store now, Still Waters and Back of Beyond just added, and with more to come!

https://store.bbc.com/play-for-today

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

This is a surprise - The Cheviot, The Stag & The Black, Black Oil on blu-ray! - https://www.panamint.co.uk/panamint-blu ... il-blu-ray

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Amazing!

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

I've added last year's releases of The Fishing Party and The Imitation Game to the list at the top of this thread.

Wouldn't it be good if some more Play For Today DVD titles were released as part of next year's fiftieth anniversary?

spflog1
625 lines

Post by spflog1 »

I'd love to see Stocker's Copper released. It's a Play for Today episode from 1972, telling the story of a strike by Cornish clay miners in 1913. Gareth Thomas is in a lead role as one of the policemen being shipped in to deal with the problem.

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

Billy Smart wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:03 pm
Wouldn't it be good if some more Play For Today DVD titles were released as part of next year's fiftieth anniversary?
And, indeed, they are coming... This BFI announcement - https://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/new ... unced-2020 - includes the welcome news:
DVD/Blu-ray: BEST OF PLAY FOR TODAY VOL.1
I particularly like "Volume 1"!