SPACE 1999 YEAR 2 BLURAY - ON THE WAY?

What's not currently on the box

videoking
625 lines

Re: SPACE 1999 YEAR 2 BLURAY - ON THE WAY?

Post by videoking »

I'll believe it when I'm holding it in my hands!

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

Me too - but the Facebook page does include a comment from someone at Network saying news soon so it looks like things are finally on the move.
I believe the cover is a fan mock up though

SDG1970
405 lines

Post by SDG1970 »

Stable door/Horse bolted......

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

What do you mean? Surely the market of people who'd want to buy Y2 in high-def is still there?

SDG1970
405 lines

Post by SDG1970 »

I don't doubt that for one minute; though I still feel this is somewhat too late and at minimum a re-release of the Carlton style prints should have been done alongside the Y1 boxset Network released some 10 years ago.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

SDG1970 wrote:I don't doubt that for one minute; though I still feel this is somewhat too late
It may well be later than you'd have liked, but to say "too late" suggests that Network have missed some kind of window of opportunity, and they haven't, given that everybody who'd want to buy Y2 on Blu-ray is still going to buy it when it comes out.

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

Agreed.
I doubt anyone who is interested in Year 2 in HD will not bother buying it simply because of the long delay between releases.
Anyone interested 4 years ago will still be interested

SDG1970
405 lines

Post by SDG1970 »

You've both missed my point completely. The point I was trying to make was, that their was no reason at all (IMHO) why Y2 could have not followed a similar release pattern to Y1 in terms of Network. Given some of the obscure stuff they have released meantime. Cash for digital transfer of the audio tracks (or whatever) doesn't Wash in my book. A no nonsense or vanilla set could have been released years ago..

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Oh right, so by "too late" you just mean you'd have preferred that they'd released it earlier. Well, teach them a lesson by not buying it now.

SDG1970
405 lines

Post by SDG1970 »

Good to see you're as patronising as always Gareth. I will buy it certainly, if a non-Blu-Ray set is released concurrently. I have no desire to buy a BR player meantime and certainly not for one series.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

SDG1970 wrote:Good to see you're as patronising as always Gareth
Well, what point were you actually trying to make? You initially state that Network has somehow left it too late, and then you acknowledge that the market for it is still there?
I have no desire to buy a BR player meantime and certainly not for one series
Even though they're very cheap now? Mine cost me about thirty quid.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

SDG1970 wrote: I have no desire to buy a BR player meantime and certainly not for one series.
I take it you haven't bought 'Year 1' of this dross, then? I still can't face opening mine!

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

Blurays players , even good ones aren't that expensive.
As they play dvd's too , when its time for a new player buying one just for one series is easily justified and then you'll realise what you're missing .

Star Trek , The Persuaders , The Prisoner, The Twilight Zone , Little House on the Prairie, Lost , 24 ( season 7 and 8 and LAD), Space 1999, Heroes , Battlestar Galactica - I'm sure there are other tv shows I have on Blu but don't recall.

I suppose if you have zero interest in movies and predominantly buy tv shows made on tape then sticking with dvd seems logical .

SDG1970
405 lines

Post by SDG1970 »

brigham wrote:
SDG1970 wrote: I have no desire to buy a BR player meantime and certainly not for one series.
I take it you haven't bought 'Year 1' of this dross, then? I still can't face opening mine!
Yes, but the initial Network release of 2005. What was wrong with Network then following with a Y2 release using similar Carlton style prints?? How many releases of Y1 has Network done meantime on the run up to Blue Ray??

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

No, I don't know why season 2 has never been released in hd either.

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

SDG1970 wrote:
brigham wrote:
Yes, but the initial Network release of 2005. What was wrong with Network then following with a Y2 release using similar Carlton style prints?? How many releases of Y1 has Network done meantime on the run up to Blue Ray??
None.
They released the restored dvd - was it really 2005 ? Crikey.
They then released the Bluray in 2010. I don't recall anything in between.

I think the error that Network made was in believing that there was little interest in Year 2 . Rightly or wrongly the general fan consensus was that Y2 was inferior and embarrassing - but that applies to only 2 or 3 episodes although opinions are split on some of the others.

I think the intervening years since 2010 have shown that there is enough interest in Y2.
Another reason might have been because the Carlton Y2 versions were excellent on dvd while the Y1 versions from Carlton were nowhere near as good quality so such an upgrade might have been deemed unnecessary- which it was for dvd

But I do agree that when you look at some of the obscure often bottom of the barrel tosh Network have released over the years that a basic Y2 Space 1999 seems an obvious omission

SDG1970
405 lines

Post by SDG1970 »

Thank you Beekeeper, that was, essentially the point I was trying to make. Yes, 2005, was the initial remastered release. Basically the Y1 Carlton release, with a nice fluffy booklet to boot. A Y2 release similar could have followed, why not I've always wondered???

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

I would have thought that most people who bought Year 1 (blu) would have bought Year 2, had it appeared in reasonable time. Some sales will have been lost because of the gap, simply because other purchases have intervened, or the subject is no longer in mind.

I would have pre-ordered it within the first six months of Year 1. I might yet take a copy, if it appears in the Sales at a discount.

SDG1970
405 lines

Post by SDG1970 »

GarethR wrote:
SDG1970 wrote:Good to see you're as patronising as always Gareth
Well, what point were you actually trying to make? You initially state that Network has somehow left it too late, and then you acknowledge that the market for it is still there?
I have no desire to buy a BR player meantime and certainly not for one series
Even though they're very cheap now? Mine cost me about thirty quid.
The market for it has always been there. Season 2 might well be inferior to Y1, but it still has a significant following and should be viewed as a viable asset when compared with some of the releases Network have exposed themselves to these past 9 years. A no nonsense release of Y2 in a similar vein to their 2005 Y1 release would probably have helped bolster sales of the upcoming Y2 Blu-Rays. All academic now, but I'll still make the point.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

People will always find something to complain about. Here in the US fans have been clamoring for over 20+ years to get a release of the Adam West Batman series. Now that it's being released, in restored blu ray no less, many of the fans are complaining about the price. Bottom line is, if you want it then buy it, if not then don't but don't knock any fans that are willing to wait for it and shell out the cash. I'll be buying the 1999 Y2 blu ray when it comes out. Both series 1 and 2 have their own charms and worthy of enjoyment on their own merits.

SDG1970
405 lines

Post by SDG1970 »

videoking wrote:People will always find something to complain about. Here in the US fans have been clamoring for over 20+ years to get a release of the Adam West Batman series. Now that it's being released, in restored blu ray no less, many of the fans are complaining about the price. Bottom line is, if you want it then buy it, if not then don't but don't knock any fans that are willing to wait for it and shell out the cash. I'll be buying the 1999 Y2 blu ray when it comes out. Both series 1 and 2 have their own charms and worthy of enjoyment on their own merits.
That is one boxset I would buy on the back of 'rights hell'. Even so, the series in question here could and should have been released by Network years ago, in a basic format.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

That is one boxset I would buy on the back of 'rights hell'. Even so, the series in question here could and should have been released by Network years ago, in a basic format.[/quote]

This point I do agree with. Even if they didn't release a blu ray set they could have made so much more money if they had done a re release of a standard year 2 set.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Is the Second year of Space 1999 on DVD somehow rare? I think I've got three of them.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

brigham wrote:Is the Second year of Space 1999 on DVD somehow rare? I think I've got three of them.
Kind of. It hasn't been in print in the UK since the original Carlton release. The prices being asked for it on Amazon are ridiculous.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Space-1999-Box- ... space+1999

SDG1970
405 lines

Post by SDG1970 »

videoking wrote:
brigham wrote:Is the Second year of Space 1999 on DVD somehow rare? I think I've got three of them.
Kind of. It hasn't been in print in the UK since the original Carlton release. The prices being asked for it on Amazon are ridiculous.

Wot he said. I think the original Y2 Carlton set was oop and unavailable by early 2003ish as I recall. So anyone wanting a Y2 boxset, hasn't been able to get a new one for approaching 12 years...

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

It was quite easy to get the Y2 Carlton set until a few years back although the price did creep up.
Several years back I sold my UK set for £80 and simultaneously bought the Australian set off Ebay for £20 delivered.
With the exception of being Region 4 and the outer box not being as sturdy as the Carlton set the Oz collection is 100% identical including menus , extras etc.

But today even the deleted Oz set goes for quite large sums as its identical in content .

The main problem was that the easier to obtain US dvd's were not very good even when they reissued them in various megasets so even though they were cheap they weren't worth getting.

Maybe Network are cleverer than we take them for . The long gap between the Y1 Bluray and the gap since the Y2 dvd set has seen the reputation of Y2 improve greatly . 10 years ago few would admit to placing Y2 anywhere near the quality of Y1 but now many are eager just to get hold of it.
Had Network made it readily available in 2006 it might still have its reputation as a silly monster show - which doesn't apply to most episodes.
When the Y1 Blu set was released the first thing I did the second I got it was have a look at the HD version of The Metamorph.
I must admit the prospect of Derek Wadsworths music in 5.1 is very exciting

SDG1970
405 lines

Post by SDG1970 »

thebeekeeper wrote:It was quite easy to get the Y2 Carlton set until a few years back although the price did creep up.
Several years back I sold my UK set for £80 and simultaneously bought the Australian set off Ebay for £20 delivered.
With the exception of being Region 4 and the outer box not being as sturdy as the Carlton set the Oz collection is 100% identical including menus , extras etc.

But today even the deleted Oz set goes for quite large sums as its identical in content .

The main problem was that the easier to obtain US dvd's were not very good even when they reissued them in various megasets so even though they were cheap they weren't worth getting.

Maybe Network are cleverer than we take them for . The long gap between the Y1 Bluray and the gap since the Y2 dvd set has seen the reputation of Y2 improve greatly . 10 years ago few would admit to placing Y2 anywhere near the quality of Y1 but now many are eager just to get hold of it.
Had Network made it readily available in 2006 it might still have its reputation as a silly monster show - which doesn't apply to most episodes.
When the Y1 Blu set was released the first thing I did the second I got it was have a look at the HD version of The Metamorph.
I must admit the prospect of Derek Wadsworths music in 5.1 is very exciting
I similarly sold my Carlton set some 5 years ago, on the back of then hype about a Network release the following year. Certainly didn't get 80 quid for it though. I never bought another copy, even when it became clear the bullshit merchants had been at work. I don't really bother with movies much, so buying a Blu Ray player is a bit extraneous, though yes, I guess I'll have to buy one at some stage I suspect.

Wadsworth's music was the pinnacle of S2 for me. I have all the releases thus far done on cd, including Derek's promotional disc (which is the best one by a lightyear). As for it being viewed as a monster series, well yes, but surely now that's part of the appeal and as you say only a few eps were guilty of that (Bringers of Wonder excepted).

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

videoking wrote:

It's worse on closer examination: of the two cheap sets @ about £90,one is described as 'Good' (which is pretty low on the Amazon scale),and the other is offered by a seller with three feedbacks,rated as 67% on average.After those two,the cheapest second-hand set is £197.86!

SDG1970
405 lines

Post by SDG1970 »

JWG wrote:
videoking wrote:

It's worse on closer examination: of the two cheap sets @ about £90,one is described as 'Good' (which is pretty low on the Amazon scale),and the other is offered by a seller with three feedbacks,rated as 67% on average.After those two,the cheapest second-hand set is £197.86!
Yes, agreed, utterly ludicrous. There are a couple of sets on Ebay much more sensibly priced......and quite how a seller in Japan (on Amazon) can ask over £400 is beyond logic..