SPACE 1999 YEAR 2 BLURAY - ON THE WAY?

What's not currently on the box
thebeekeeper
625 lines

Re: SPACE 1999 YEAR 2 BLURAY - ON THE WAY?

Post by thebeekeeper »

In Japan they're used to paying silly prices.
The currently available UFO Bluray boxset works out just under £200 and that's from Amazon Japan who are usually cheaper than anyone else.

I paid just under £300 a couple of years ago for The Complete Columbo Bluray set from Japan . And that's a low price compared to what's being asked on various non Amazon sites.

I expect the Japanese seller is trying to get the price he would expect a Japanese buyer to pay.

DVD's and Blurays from Japan are as extortionate now as Jap Laserdiscs were 20 years ago.

In case anyones interested a German Bluray of UFO arrives next month for 79 Euros . Still seems a tad pricey . Apparently the episodes at least will be totally English friendly

stuartfanning
405 lines

Post by stuartfanning »

Its coming but not until next Autumn. 'Taster' available now!

http://networkonair.com/shop/2090-space ... e-13127333

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

SDG1970
405 lines

Post by SDG1970 »

Putting out the Bringers of Wonder and Destination Moonbase Alpha as a consolidated 'taster' is a nice touch for my money. Bringers of Wonder is a personal favourite of S2, so that'll go unopened into the collection.

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

I need to know if the "taster" of the episodes which were created for Andercon have been fully completed and include the 5.1 sound that was apparently the main reason for the delay

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

DVD's and Blurays from Japan are as extortionate now as Jap Laserdiscs were 20 years ago.

You don't have to tell me about the price of Japanese laser discs. I purchased all of the sets of Lost In Space, Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, Time Tunnel, UFO and Space 1999. All these sets combined cost me at least $5000, being purchased over a period of a few years.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

SDG1970 wrote:Putting out the Bringers of Wonder and Destination Moonbase Alpha as a consolidated 'taster' is a nice touch for my money. Bringers of Wonder is a personal favourite of S2, so that'll go unopened into the collection.
An excellent choice for a teaser/taster blu ray, mine has been ordered.

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

Network have also just uploaded a clip:

[BBvideo 560,340]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj5Sn9ITetE[/BBvideo]

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

Ok, so now you can pre-buy the second season set on blu ray for 60 Pounds. As much as I have anticipated this release I may have to wait as 60 Pounds is a bit steep, or is it just me?

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

Yup, I think $95 US plus shipping is a bit steep for "limited edition" packaging.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

videoking wrote:Ok, so now you can pre-buy the second season set on blu ray for 60 Pounds. As much as I have anticipated this release I may have to wait as 60 Pounds is a bit steep, or is it just me?
It's not steep. It's the equivalent of 12 feature films worth of material in HD.

35mm is expensive to restore and BDs are expensive to make. You have to be realistic. Network need to make money on these things.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

Ross wrote:
videoking wrote:Ok, so now you can pre-buy the second season set on blu ray for 60 Pounds. As much as I have anticipated this release I may have to wait as 60 Pounds is a bit steep, or is it just me?
It's not steep. It's the equivalent of 12 feature films worth of material in HD.

35mm is expensive to restore and BDs are expensive to make. You have to be realistic. Network need to make money on these things.
I'll wait until they have a sale.

IndigoTucker
405 lines

Post by IndigoTucker »

Which reduces the likelihood that Network will go to the effort of restoring future releases on Bluray.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

The price is higher than the current internet price (£25.99 at Zavvi, £12 at the Network sale) of series 1 but lower than Zavvi's quoted RRP of £79.99 for it. Goodness knows where they get their RRPs from.

Of course this means I'll have to seriously start watching series 0ne now, which I have had for some time.....

SDG1970
405 lines

Post by SDG1970 »

I think the price for both Bluray and dvd set very good. Back in 2001 a Carlton set was around £70 at HMV and similar outlets, so this in essence is a snip. I ordered the dvd and am looking forward to viewing this series again after about a 6 year absence from my collection.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

S2 picture always seemed very soft and smeary, when Barbara Bain walked past in the titles, for a split second you could still see her after she'd gone.!

Be nice to see it on par with S1.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

SDG1970
405 lines

Post by SDG1970 »

Mark wrote:S2 picture always seemed very soft and smeary, when Barbara Bain walked past in the titles, for a split second you could still see her after she'd gone.!

Be nice to see it on par with S1.
As a dvd only buyer I'm not too sure what to expect over the Carlton set, which for me was acceptable. You just sell and move on in support of greater things, though Bluray isn't for me. For £40 for the dvd with increased extras and just supporting a newer release is good enough for me.

I bought the 'taster' Bluray of Bringers of Wonder from Network and watched it on my PS4, which I purchased post my input on here last year. If I'm honest, I just don't like the inconsistencies Bluray brings up on 70's style props. It just doesn't work for me - plus the hassle of using a PS4 for Bluray..

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

SDG1970 wrote:. If I'm honest, I just don't like the inconsistencies Bluray brings up on 70's style props
The picture's just too detailed, you mean? I actually like that. I like being able see all the little details that are lost in standard definition, even if that shows props or sets up as being somewhat flimsier than they're supposed to look. It also means you can pick up on visual in-jokes like the Space Models logo and writing on some of the Alpha computer panels (Space Models being the company that built them).

SDG1970
405 lines

Post by SDG1970 »

GarethR wrote:
SDG1970 wrote:. If I'm honest, I just don't like the inconsistencies Bluray brings up on 70's style props
The picture's just too detailed, you mean? I actually like that. I like being able see all the little details that are lost in standard definition, ).
I think some detail I would prefer to lose on material - or materials - of the time. I'm not sure whether Bluray would work for Blake's Seven (would it??). I'm not a TV tecchy like you, but if it did that would be seriously cringeworthy imo..

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

I think the rule is if it was made on film (like Space 1999) it can be upgraded to high definition, but not if it was made on videotape (like B7).

John McE
405 lines

Post by John McE »

Unless it's Doctor Who, and they figure Who fans will fall for it :-)

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

John McE wrote:Unless it's Doctor Who, and they figure Who fans will fall for it :-)
In actual fact (putting his geek hat on!) when they did this with the first few series (I think up to The Next Doctor Christmas Special) where they were recorded in SD, the upscaling to Blu Ray was a reasonable improvement over the dvd quality. I'm not sure that even with the SD cameras, and associated special effects (which might have been HD anyway) that there wasn't additional quality to be gained over what could be mastered to dvd. I'm sure one of our tech experts will shoot me down. Of course the other release (of way too many) of Spearhead from Space was all shot on film, so suitable.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

As I understand it, the first four series of Doctor Who look better on Blu-Ray because of the higher bit rate and improvement in mastering techniques over the last decade, but they're still merely good SD rather than HD quality.

And good SD can still look pretty good, even on DVD.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

The same applies to audio. Historic recordings re-mastered to LP can sound much better than on 78, because of the improved surface material and finer groove width. Similarly, CD re-masters from LP can be an improvement.
As for historic film and TV, I want the best possible transfer of the original material. Just because the original was shot on 8mm doesn't mean that a low-bitrate coarse scan is 'good enough'. There are enough artifacts in the original process, without introducing more in the re-mastering process. When it comes to watching old TV, I will decide whether to watch in 405/625 line mode, or on a larger screen than was practical at the time of transmission.
That's what 'being the customer' is all about.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Ross wrote:As I understand it, the first four series of Doctor Who look better on Blu-Ray because of the higher bit rate and improvement in mastering techniques over the last decade, but they're still merely good SD rather than HD quality.

And good SD can still look pretty good, even on DVD.
The questions was posed regarding why fans might 'fall for it' concerning releasing SD material on Blu Ray. As my opinion, and your comments allude, it is possible on larger storage media and with new techniques to make the quality better, regardless of it being native SD. Therefore there is an actual reason to go this route. There are now a range of blu-rays remastered for 4K (until 4K players and discs hit the market) - they're still blu-ray resolution but obviously there is some visual benefit.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

SDG1970 wrote:I'm not sure whether Bluray would work for Blake's Seven (would it??)
There wouldn't be the large improvement in detail there is with material shot on 35mm, no. About the best you can hope for with a Blu-ray of anything shot on standard-def video is that it would be pretty much indistinguishable from the original master tape. But you're inherently limited to 625-line resolution, so you wouldn't suddenly be seeing all kinds of fine details you'd never seen before. The more efficient compression and higher data rate should mean it looks a bit better than the DVD, though.

SDG1970
405 lines

Post by SDG1970 »

Don't get me wrong - I will buy the odd film on Bluray, but I made the decision to stick with remastered dvd material for 70's stuff. On watching the BoW Bluray taster, it was blatantly obvious that the moonsuit life support units (the ones worn on the front) were either balsa wood or polystyrene with all the inconsistencies of such bought to the surface. It just detracted for me and though other's relish it and the other little positives and negatives it unearths - for me I decided to stick with dvd.

Thanks for the info on B7 btw - thought that might be the case.

jno
405 lines

Post by jno »

Interesting points here. I agree you only pay what you are willing too. Growing up in the VHS generation which I'm sure many have here - plot, story and action are usually way ahead of picture quality for me. If any film or production is poor, a crisp high definition picture isn't going to save it, even if it does look a 'different' show.

I'm happy that Space 1999 has had the BD treatment - I bought the first set when it was down at 12 quid - 60 does seem pricey but if you can't afford it then don't buy it. As was well said above, if you want something that badly, you will pay for it.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

jno wrote:Growing up in the VHS generation which I'm sure many have here - plot, story and action are usually way ahead of picture quality for me
In my experience, people who are interested in old telly overwhelmingly want the best picture quality possible. Talking about the "VHS generation" is a bit irrelevant really, in those days you either got it on VHS or you just didn't see it at all.