Simply depressing

What's not currently on the box
MDK
405 lines

Simply depressing

Post by MDK »

So I take delivery of the newly released Aphrodite Inheritance with trepidation, hoping against hope that Simply HE will have sorted out their authoring shortcomings (see Angels, Softly Softly etc). How silly of me - we have the usual ropey studio look on these discs. About the only consolation is that this is a mainly film series, but still I think my copy will be going back to Amazon.

longtimelurker
405 lines

Re: Simply depressing

Post by longtimelurker »

Thanks for telling us. I've held off buying the Softly Softly set until now as there were problems with filmised episodes at least twice. I'm not even sure where the land lies with that one now to feel safe buying it. The main trouble as I see it seems to be that when they are told about a fault, the Simply people can't even see what the problem is with their own eyes. I would have liked to buy Aphrodite too but from what you are saying, it looks shoddy yet again.

Chris Orton
405 lines

Post by Chris Orton »

Someone on Roobarb's has reported that The History Man also has problems - can anybody confirm?

Tim Munro
405 lines

Post by Tim Munro »

You should be safe with "Softly Softly" if you buy direct from Simply, and even if you buy from somebody else and get the filmised version just contact Simply's customer services and they'll swap it. It's true though that it's utterly infuriating, firstly that a company releasing archive television has no idea what it's supposed to look like ( they had to be pretty much hounded into consulting the BBC over the "Softly Softly" screw-up and one got the feeling that the error was only grudgingly admitted, amidst dark remarks about "reconsidering what they'd bring to market in future") and secondly that despite all the promises about them putting new procedures in place to prevent a recurrence this has happened again and again ( I believe they've admitted the same error on "Angels" series 2 but are keeping very quiet on the same reports about "The History Man".)
If anyone from Simply is reading this, you really really need to get this sorted - you're selling to a niche market who know their stuff and frankly at present a lot of us now will not buy a Simply release until we know for certain it hasn't been filmised. It's really annoying that after years of hoping for a company that would exploit the BBC archive as Network did the ITV one, we end up with so much stuff going to a company that simply cannot be relied on to get something so simple right (and it can't be difficult, can it? Network released thousands of hours of videotaped tv and never made this mistake once!). I was enjoying their "Doctor Finlay's Casebook" releases but now am dreading what may happen when they reach the colour episodes. I also suspect they won't touch "Softly Softly" again after all the additional expense, and that's really not fair - not least because it's a marvellous series, a real unexpected gem and exactly the kind of thing that they should be releasing.

Lee Rose
405 lines

Post by Lee Rose »

With so many archive TV fans happy to check these things free of charge before the final master goes to press, there's really no excuse for these screw-ups.

MDK
405 lines

Post by MDK »

I have a theory that the people doing the transfers for Simply are twenty somethings who have never seen a 70s/ 80s BBC studio/film insert drama, having been brought up on the faux (or real) film look of pretty much all TV dramas of the last 15 years. So with nothing to compare it against, to them the filmised look appears normal to them and they merrily carry on with the transfers. No consolation for us, but a possible explanation.

longtimelurker
405 lines

Post by longtimelurker »

Tim Munro wrote:You should be safe with "Softly Softly" if you buy direct from Simply, and even if you buy from somebody else and get the filmised version just contact Simply's customer services and they'll swap it. It's true though that it's utterly infuriating, firstly that a company releasing archive television has no idea what it's supposed to look like ( they had to be pretty much hounded into consulting the BBC over the "Softly Softly" screw-up and one got the feeling that the error was only grudgingly admitted, amidst dark remarks about "reconsidering what they'd bring to market in future") and secondly that despite all the promises about them putting new procedures in place to prevent a recurrence this has happened again and again ( I believe they've admitted the same error on "Angels" series 2 but are keeping very quiet on the same reports about "The History Man".)
Thank you for the update, Tim. I might take a chance then. Count me as one of those people who wait and hear reviews by those know what they're talking about before buying from Simply ever again. Bad form being so begrudging about them admitting their errors though. Should have been accepted with good grace.

Chris Orton
405 lines

Post by Chris Orton »

News from Simply...

"The History Man has the same issue as Angels 2 and has been de-interlaced. When the Angels 2 issue occurred new processes were put in place to prevent this happening again. Unfortunately The History Man was authored and replicated at the same time as Angels 2 and was completed before the new processes had been introduced.

Regarding Aphrodite Inheritance, i am having this checked now."

Crystal Tipps
405 lines

Post by Crystal Tipps »

Softly Softly had the same problem twice didn't it? They rectified the problem the first time but there were still one or two filmised episodes that slipped the net so they rectified the problem again! Finally, they got it right. I ordered my copy direct from Simply rather than risk from Amazon. That was a long time ago now so I'm sure Amazon have got the latest versions.

Tim Munro
405 lines

Post by Tim Munro »

Crystal Tipps wrote:Softly Softly had the same problem twice didn't it? They rectified the problem the first time but there were still one or two filmised episodes that slipped the net so they rectified the problem again! Finally, they got it right. I ordered my copy direct from Simply rather than risk from Amazon. That was a long time ago now so I'm sure Amazon have got the latest versions.
Yup, three episodes slipped through the net. So they had to do yet another corrected repressing. Give them their due, once they finally got their head around what the problem was they've gone to great lengths to correct it, unlike the BBC with their notorious "Grange Hill" releases. But there's no escaping that it really shouldn't have happened in the first place, and it certainly shouldn't have happened again... and again... and again. It must be eating away at their margins on these titles and ... well, if the upshot is we don't get anymore "Softly Softly Task Force" I'm really not going to be best pleased.

DMatthews
405 lines

Post by DMatthews »

MDK wrote:I have a theory that the people doing the transfers for Simply are twenty somethings who have never seen a 70s/ 80s BBC studio/film insert drama, having been brought up on the faux (or real) film look of pretty much all TV dramas of the last 15 years. So with nothing to compare it against, to them the filmised look appears normal to them and they merrily carry on with the transfers. No consolation for us, but a possible explanation.
It would still neither be a legitimate excuse nor acceptable explanation, though. Even if the transfer work is contracted out to a competent third-party, it's still Simply's responsibility and accountability to oversee the process and quality-check the results.

(I'm beginning to sound like Lord Sir Alan Sugar!)

--

Cheers

Dave

Gary C
405 lines

Post by Gary C »

they sound like a bunch of amateurs. I produce motorsport DVD's and check EVERYTHING as it goes along.

longtimelurker
405 lines

Post by longtimelurker »

Gary C wrote:they sound like a bunch of amateurs. I produce motorsport DVD's and check EVERYTHING as it goes along.
:D

SteveBoyce
405 lines

Post by SteveBoyce »

Any more news from Simply on Aphrodite Inheritance? TIA...

SteveBoyce
405 lines

Post by SteveBoyce »

Crystal Tipps wrote:Softly Softly had the same problem twice didn't it? They rectified the problem the first time but there were still one or two filmised episodes that slipped the net so they rectified the problem again! Finally, they got it right. I ordered my copy direct from Simply rather than risk from Amazon. That was a long time ago now so I'm sure Amazon have got the latest versions.
I did the same, and checked them when I got them :-)
Personally, I wouldn't want to rely on Amazon to have the latest versions..

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

I've got another Simply DVD problem - has anyone else had this?

On 'The Brothers', when played on a Sony player, the disc loads, plays the 30 second intro with the copyright warning and DD Home Entertainment logo - but it's silent. And then at the end of the 30 seconds it freezes. It should go on to play a second warning about poor quality source material and then to the menu, but there is no way to get anything else to play.

Same thing happens on all three discs in the set.

bbctim
405 lines

Post by bbctim »

Is there still no reply from Simply about Aphrodite? I got it for Xmas, and was just settling into it nicely, when they cut to studio VT.....is there no end to this companies errors?

Chris Orton
405 lines

Post by Chris Orton »

Simply have told me that the version that they are now selling is the corrected version. No idea if it has made it to other on-line retailers yet though.

lovecraft
625 lines

Post by lovecraft »

Picture problems aside, I am 3 episodes into this and losing the will to live slightly. I really enjoyed Who Pays The Ferryman, involving and atmospheric, but the charm of this one is eluding me so far. If something significant doesnt happen by the end of the next episode I think I may have to concede defeat....

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

There's probably a two-hour tv movie to be edited out of THE APHRODITE INHEIRITANCE - and that would be pushing it. Eight, long episodes that barely come to life...

lovecraft
625 lines

Post by lovecraft »

Oh well, glad its not just me then....

Dark Side of the Sun is sat in the 'to-watch' pile.......how does this compare with its predecessors?

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

Right.
I set my discs of Aphrodite back to Simply with a covering-letter.A few weeks later,I sent a follow-up email,and got a charming reply,followed by replacement discs a few days after that....Then I got another copy,together with an invoice for £17.99.
There's discussion of this phenomenon on Roobarb.I'm quite irritated.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

I would have thought you were under no obligation to pay for unsolicited goods.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Juswuh wrote:I would have thought you were under no obligation to pay for unsolicited goods.
IANAL, but...

It used to be the case that the recipient in such a case had to inform the sender of the error, and the sender then had 30 days to collect the goods or arrange for their return, and if not they became the recipient's property after six months. The law changed in 2000, and since then the recipient can regard unsolicited goods as an unconditional gift, with no obligation to return them or even inform the sender, although they can if they wish to. Any invoice is unlawful, and any subsequent demand for payment can reported to Trading Standards. Duplicate orders are a bit of a grey area, as the sender can claim an error, rather than the intentional sending of unsolicited goods, so the recipient should err on the side of caution. If it was me, I would inform the sender and request a return pre-paid label/envelope, then wait and see.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

Thanks for the advice,Nick.I've been meaning to contact Simply,and must do so soon,but...it arrived with several other DVDs,in seperate jiffy-bags,and was the only rattler.As usual,in these cases,I opened the cellophane to put it right and see what the damage was.(I always hold the case gingerly while I'm doing this,so as not to do more damage.Silly really,since if there's going to be any damage,it'll be done by then).I had a vague notion that someone had ordered Dark Side of the Sun,and this was it.
So it's now damaged goods.I'll email them.As I say,they've got previous on this,and can apparently get quite nasty.Nobody mentioned this until a few days after I'd sent off the defective discs,though I'd have wanted good ones anyway.

Lee Rose
405 lines

Post by Lee Rose »

An Englishman's Castle isn't deinterlaced, thankfully!

MDK
405 lines

Post by MDK »

Before I click "Buy", just wondering if anyone has bought Warship Series 2 yet and was it in the correct format? There are no grumbles in the Amazon reviews but they are not always reliable.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

I've watched episode one and it's fine: a video look and in 4:3. Hopefully the rest is the same.

MDK
405 lines

Post by MDK »

Thanks that's encouraging.

Crystal Tipps
405 lines

Post by Crystal Tipps »

The Brothers (Series 2), seems ok as well. Thank goodness.