Gideon's Way

What's not currently on the box
andrew baker
625 lines

Gideon's Way

Post by andrew baker »

I've just started going through this. It's a fascinatingly different view of the mid 60s with an unusual amount of location shooting and unusually realistic themes for a filmed series.

The Rhyme and the Reason is a superbly shot piece directed by the excellent John Gilling. A brilliant chase in the shadow of Battersea Power Station. This is how 1964 really was. I was there - well, I was at Battersea fun fair in 1964 at least.

Roll ACR
625 lines

Re: Gideon's Way

Post by Roll ACR »

I really like it too, it's a jem, at once clearly a flight of fancy, yet quite gritty and kitchen sinky compared to the usual ITC fare. I think it was discussed in another thread ages ago but the location filming around London is indeed a fascinating glimpse of 1964. The series also made extensive use of the old ABPC Elstree site and the surrounding areas around Borehamwood.

billo
405 lines

Post by billo »

A fine series from the team who did 'The Saint' if I remember correctly (Robert S. Baker etc) - the American openings were more action orientated and I think it was retitled; 'Gideon of Scotland Yard' for the USA TV version.

The vintage early sixties London location filming gave it a kind of British 'Naked City' look...something 'The Sweeney' would later do for seventies London too.

'The Firebug' with guest star George Cole - doing much more than an 'Arfur Daley' - was a fav ep of mine while 'The V Men' was another memorable episode (where unarmed Police officers bravely take on armed foes without hesitation at the end), tho' all the episodes were good

John Gregson was perfect as Commander George Gideon with Alexander Davion a good support as Det. Inspr David Keen

Gideon's family are all well portrayed too.

An episode re an evil lady who poses as a housekeeper and bumps off elderly folk in her care was chilling...plus another re a mother who mistreats her little son locking him in a cupboard in an all too familiar case of child cruelty - both episodes are quite hard hitting for 1964-65 and are remain sadly all too contemporary...

I spotted Alex Davion as the executive who gets murdered by his alien controlled secretary in a UFO episode; 'The Psychobombs' years later, and a older Andrea Allen (who plays Gideon's teenage daughter) was later a both a hospital nurse (in 'A Question of Prorities') and a SHADO girl on Moonbase in another UFO episode.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

Alexander Davion turns up looking a lot older in the Van Der Valk episode "Diane". Gideon's Way is an excellent show, hard-hitting for the time with stories that don't always go the way you expect - in one episode the guest star actually gets away with murder.

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Superb series! So pleased that people are still discovering it and seeing how brilliant it is. One of the real gems in the ITC catalogue. Fantastic location work in so many episodes.

All the best

Andrew

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

I picked this up a couple of years back for my book, as I'd heard a couple of episodes had Underground scenes, and I ended up going through the lot and finding quite a few more (including the only known on-screen appearance of the disused York Road station!). In the process, though, I was struck by how gritty it was - certainly out of step with what received wisdom would have us believe about pre-Sweeney TV police series.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

AndrewP wrote:Superb series! So pleased that people are still discovering it and seeing how brilliant it is. One of the real gems in the ITC catalogue. Fantastic location work in so many episodes.

All the best

Andrew

Just love that chase scene and the tracking shot through the tunnel on 'The Rhyme and the Reason'. John Gilling must have been a producer's dream as a no nonsense,get the scene right, in the can double quick, style director. He and Lance Comfort probably gave the post war dozy and war wounded British TV/film scene a shot in the arm making it fit for the international market?

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

I remember discovering Gideons Way in the early 90's before any sighting of it in the UK video era.
I had a friend in Australia recording all sorts of shows like Thriller , Danger Man , Space 1999 and more ITC shows , always in the middle of the night.

I had him record GW purely on its pedigree. ITC , filmed in the 60's , Edwin Astley music and some great stars. I'd never seen the show before.
He managed to get 24 of the episodes although it was one of the few ITC shows aired on the network that made cuts for an hour slot instead of just putting in less breaks .

Having collected ITC shows where locations usually meant the Elstree backlot , rear projection or sometimes some silent London footage this was a revelation. I think the B&W filming really adds to the period atmosphere but it's a shame that one of its strong points is probably the reason its unseen on British tv for over 40 years.

The extensive location filming , grittier than usual stories for ITC and superb list of guest stars makes this one ripe for tv to rediscover.
Not even shown on Bravo it's a quality departure for ITC but other than throwing it away in a graveyard slot its hard to see anywhere suitable for it to be aired today where B&W does really seem to be kryptonite for tv drama

Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

thebeekeeper wrote:I remember discovering Gideons Way in the early 90's before any sighting of it in the UK video era.
I had a friend in Australia recording all sorts of shows like Thriller , Danger Man , Space 1999 and more ITC shows , always in the middle of the night.

I had him record GW purely on its pedigree. ITC , filmed in the 60's , Edwin Astley music and some great stars. I'd never seen the show before.
He managed to get 24 of the episodes although it was one of the few ITC shows aired on the network that made cuts for an hour slot instead of just putting in less breaks .

Having collected ITC shows where locations usually meant the Elstree backlot , rear projection or sometimes some silent London footage this was a revelation. I think the B&W filming really adds to the period atmosphere but it's a shame that one of its strong points is probably the reason its unseen on British tv for over 40 years.

The extensive location filming , grittier than usual stories for ITC and superb list of guest stars makes this one ripe for tv to rediscover.
Not even shown on Bravo it's a quality departure for ITC but other than throwing it away in a graveyard slot its hard to see anywhere suitable for it to be aired today where B&W does really seem to be kryptonite for tv drama
And not long after you got them you copied them for me Nigel - Gideon's Way was a very different ITC series and poo-poo's that whole idea that The Sweeney was the first police drama to film on the streets of London. I'm pretty sure that the same people are going around saying Callan was the first serious, gritty cold war espionage series and are completely ignoring Danger Man.

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

Jaz_Wiseman wrote:
And not long after you got them you copied them for me Nigel - Gideon's Way was a very different ITC series and poo-poo's that whole idea that The Sweeney was the first police drama to film on the streets of London. I'm pretty sure that the same people are going around saying Callan was the first serious, gritty cold war espionage series and are completely ignoring Danger Man.
Just rewatching a few ITC shows and having seen GW yet again it never loses its power to surprise the seasoned ITC fan.
Saw a link today to a 2010 interview with Tim Beddows who claims with Gideons Way last being aired in 1968 he was surprised it had sold 12000 copies . It was actually still running in places in the early 70's but I get what he's saying so I hope GW is worthy of a Bluray release . Some of the episodes on that Network set were a bit ropey in places so I hope they can source some high quality versions for a Blu.

Also just concluding the Oz R&H set again . Jaz you lucky devil. Not only did you get to meet Annette Andre you had to visit New York to do it.
I guess somebody has to get these difficult jobs

Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

thebeekeeper wrote:
Just rewatching a few ITC shows and having seen GW yet again it never loses its power to surprise the seasoned ITC fan.
Saw a link today to a 2010 interview with Tim Beddows who claims with Gideons Way last being aired in 1968 he was surprised it had sold 12000 copies . It was actually still running in places in the early 70's but I get what he's saying so I hope GW is worthy of a Bluray release . Some of the episodes on that Network set were a bit ropey in places so I hope they can source some high quality versions for a Blu.

Also just concluding the Oz R&H set again . Jaz you lucky devil. Not only did you get to meet Annette Andre you had to visit New York to do it.
I guess somebody has to get these difficult jobs
Happy times - Annette was lovely as always, New York was horrible tho... Much preferred LA and hanging out with Richard Bradford and Ian Ogilvy

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

thebeekeeper wrote: Saw a link today to a 2010 interview with Tim Beddows who claims with Gideons Way last being aired in 1968 he was surprised it had sold 12000 copies . It was actually still running in places in the early 70's
Yes, funnily enough, seeing the titles always reminds me of the Sunday afternoon repeats in the 60's, it's the same with "The Prisoner", although I watched the original broadcasts, it's the Sunday afternoon repeats in 69, that always comes to mind first.

"Interpol Calling" is another that springs to mind from Sunday repeats.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

The HD and restored episode on Retro Action volume two looked marvellous. GW is probably the ITC series I'd most like to see on Blu-Ray next.

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

Mark wrote:
thebeekeeper wrote: Saw a link today to a 2010 interview with Tim Beddows who claims with Gideons Way last being aired in 1968 he was surprised it had sold 12000 copies . It was actually still running in places in the early 70's
Yes, funnily enough, seeing the titles always reminds me of the Sunday afternoon repeats in the 60's, it's the same with "The Prisoner", although I watched the original broadcasts, it's the Sunday afternoon repeats in 69, that always comes to mind first.

"Interpol Calling" is another that springs to mind from Sunday repeats.
No afternoon repeats in the Anglia or Thames/LWT areas for any of those from what I recall- it was always late nights , including Gideons Way which was on Anglia until 71 IIRC.
Strange that most of ITV dumped it , presumably because it was B&W yet continued to air Danger Man for several more years .They were both made in 1964 so the usual licence period for ITC shows should have been the same I would have thought

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The Granada region must have been one of the lucky ones, then.

I remember the late night "Danger Man" repeats of the 70's.

There was still some B&W shows turning up, well into the 70's, "Supercar", "Robinson Crusoe" and in 1978, "White Horses", IIRC.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

Mark wrote:The Granada region must have been one of the lucky ones, then.

I remember the late night "Danger Man" repeats of the 70's.

There was still some B&W shows turning up, well into the 70's, "Supercar", "Robinson Crusoe" and in 1978, "White Horses", IIRC.
Not on Granada though.
Those last 2 were on the BBC . Crusoe ran until 1982.

I noticed in the TV Times Granada showing Supercar and Fireball XL5 but my regions in the South seemed to have long forgotten those by then.
Anglia didn't even show Thunderbirds between about 1969 and 1981.

The TV Times listings for the Granada Prisoner repeats on sunday afternoons looked odd to me as I'd never seen it listed for a daytime screening until then. IIRC it was actually its first Granada repeat too. 1969 possibly

bill
405 lines

Post by bill »

Must revisit GW box-set. Top quality show and cast....John Gregson very classy lead. GW One of my earliest childhood tv memories along with The Fugitive.