The Avengers - To be repeated

What's not currently on the box
PeteH
405 lines

The Avengers - To be repeated

Post by PeteH »

Looks like Tru Entertainment (Freeview Channel 61) will be repeating The Avengers from next Monday! It would appear they are starting with the oldest (Keel) Episodes and showing it twice each day. One assumes the morning showing will be a repeat of the previous nights 8pm broadcast.

If otherwise the full 50th Anniv. DVD set appeals, Zavvi/Hut are currently doing it for £69.99 in their post-Christmas Sale. I think I am correct in mentioning that this is the cheapest it's ever been!

Juswuh
D-MAC

Re: The Avengers - To be repeated

Post by Juswuh »

If they stick to that it'll be a while before they get to the colour Riggs, but I watched The Winged Avenger the other night and thought it was one of the best. Great comic-strip artwork by Frank Bellamy.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I see it has an hour slot, although the last time I watched something on that channel, there were ad breaks every three or four minutes, (I think it was "Rescue From Gilligan's Island", took a hell of a long time to get rescued) no actual ads, just a couple of annoying trails, repeated.

Hopefully. "The Avengers" will be handled better.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

prisoner5
625 lines

Post by prisoner5 »

Great news, always checking out those obscure little channels for hidden gems. It was here someone alerted me to Phil silvers on Forces tv.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

This is good to know. Thanks for that. I still haven't caught most of the available pre-Emma stories.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

As far as I can tell it's only a very suspect listing on the digital guides that have indicated these are Keel era episodes. The Radio Times only says Patrick Macnee stars and someone on the Avengers forum has reported seeing a trailer with Diana Rigg. I'm not holding out too much hope that these are pre-Peel shows.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

I had a look at their schedule here:

http://www.locatetv.com/uk/listings/trueent#05-Jan-2015

and am fairly sure it's just going to be the later series. Disappointing.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

I've just checked the Freeview EPG which state that is is the first series, the first episode that has not been lost. Dr Keel and his charismatic female assistant tackle the world of crime & espionage . That sounds like "The Girl on the Trapeze" to me as no mention of Steed.

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

I would guess the website of the channel that are broadcasting the series would know more about what they were showing than the Freeview EPG which is quite often wrong.

And in this day and age the likelihood of the taped Avengers episodes appearing at 8pm seem very low. I'd be surprised if they even show the B&W Rigg episodes.

Whichever it is , likely to be cut to bits if they retain the 60 minute slot.
Even ITV4 has been extending The New Avengers to 70 minutes with other shows also extended from an hour.

Can't say I've ever seen anything on True Entertainment with good picture quality . Be nice for nostalgia purposes if they've unearthed previously broadcast edited C4 versions.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Brian F wrote:I've just checked the Freeview EPG which state that is is the first series, the first episode that has not been lost. Dr Keel and his charismatic female assistant tackle the world of crime & espionage . That sounds like "The Girl on the Trapeze" to me as no mention of Steed.
That is the listing I described as "suspect" in my earlier post, the same words are on all ten upcoming episodes. When DIgiguide doesn't have specific episode details they use a generic description which is often misleading if not meaningless. That Digiguide / EPG wording is the only source for the Keel speculation, as far as I'm aware.

~iw

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

thebeekeeper wrote:I would guess the website of the channel that are broadcasting the series would know more about what they were showing than the Freeview EPG which is quite often wrong.
Yes but their web site is down for updates at present so can't be checked and we've only had that 3rd party web information about what they are showing. Is that any more reliable than the EPG?

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

If you look at the other stuff Tru Entertainment shows, even the later Avengers are a bit out of place. A black and white videotaped British show would be a very strange fit.

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

Brian F wrote:
thebeekeeper wrote:I would guess the website of the channel that are broadcasting the series would know more about what they were showing than the Freeview EPG which is quite often wrong.
Yes but their web site is down for updates at present so can't be checked and we've only had that 3rd party web information about what they are showing. Is that any more reliable than the EPG?
Sorry , I didn't notice the link was to a 3rd party site so you're right there.

But the taped Avengers on any channel at 8pm just seems unthinkable these days . And the filmed episodes would make for a departure for the channel but maybe this might mark the return of a UK retro tv channel to our screens . We can dream

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

Well, only 24 hours to go to find out.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

Less than 8 hrs now and the Radio Times has (BW) by all the Avengers entries this week.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

The Freeview EPG still says it's Keel. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

Steed and Mrs Peel era, then.....I assume its the same episode tomorrow at 11.00 a.m. but will set the SKY box just in case.

Season 4. Episode 1 - The Town of No Return

Good picture quality too.
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

B&W 60's tv in a primetime slot - it's a while since we've seen that.
I wonder what goodies True Entertainment might have up their sleeve

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

I'm pleased. Even when Channel 4 reran the show from November 1982 it only started with the colour ones.

tiswas2
625 lines

Post by tiswas2 »

Caught this earlier today and for the True entertainment channel the resolution wasn't too soft and on my TV the ratio looked correct.

I haven't seen this B & W Peel episode for a few years, but I was surprised at the abrupt ending which went from the invasion army (numbering all of about half a dozen) being defeated to Steed and Emma driving around on a scooter with no tying up of the story proper.

I suppose that's how they did it in the sixties.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

You can probably assume the other (Russian?) soldiers were trapped when the Avengers shut the steel door on them and Steed called all the King's men in straight away.

jubbely
405 lines

Post by jubbely »

very annoyingly my sky box won't series link on this channel, how are those linkages actually set up? by the channel themselves?

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

But re The Avengers so far, I love Town of no Return, don't go massively on Gravediggers, and like The Cybernauts. I imagine that if I'd been watching in 1965, I'd have thought the karate crew were behind it all in The Cybernauts. Must have been refreshing for those times to have the monsters actually be monsters, rather than revealed as being faked. It even made a good stab at predicting miniturisation of electronics, maybe not to the smartphone stage but still a good effort.

Jaz_Wiseman
625 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

Perhaps Dr Who fans could start a new thread about this so that those of us who have no interest in the series don't have to read about it and we can get back on topic of The Avengers

John Williams
Committee

Post by John Williams »

Jaz_Wiseman wrote:Perhaps Dr Who fans could start a new thread about this so that those of us who have no interest in the series don't have to read about it and we can get back on topic of The Avengers
Quite right. I've shunted the Who stuff into the correct thread.

Ant
405 lines

Post by Ant »

jubbely wrote:very annoyingly my sky box won't series link on this channel, how are those linkages actually set up? by the channel themselves?
Yes, indeed so.

bill
405 lines

Post by bill »

Caught it on True entertainment this morning for the first time. Great to see these B&W Emma Peel classics....lots of kilts in todays ep!

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

Loved last night's and tonight's - A Surfeit of H20 and The Hour that never was. One of my older brothers used to remember watching those two episodes the first time in late 1965. A good time for my type of telly - the first Diana Rigg season, the first showing of Thunderbirds, Dr Who's The Daleks' Master Plan, Danger Man (hour-long episodes), The Saint, presumably Man from Uncle, presumably Voyagey and early Lost in Space. And the first season of Out of the Unknown. TOTP. Fill in your own. There was something for everyone in the 60s.

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

I always think of the black and white Rigg episodes as definitive, and although it might be sacrilege to say it I didn't like the colour ones quite so much. The B&W's were starker and often with quite a brooding atmosphere as opposed to the comic book capers that came after.

jubbely
405 lines

Post by jubbely »

Ant wrote:
jubbely wrote:very annoyingly my sky box won't series link on this channel, how are those linkages actually set up? by the channel themselves?
Yes, indeed so.
Good news. When I went to set for next week, I noticed they have added a a series link for this now