The Avengers - To be repeated

What's not currently on the box
fatcat
D-MAC

Re: The Avengers - To be repeated

Post by fatcat »

Doom Patrol wrote:I always think of the black and white Rigg episodes as definitive, and although it might be sacrilege to say it I didn't like the colour ones quite so much. The B&W's were starker and often with quite a brooding atmosphere as opposed to the comic book capers that came after.
I agree with you- I thought the colour ones were a bit too pleased with themselves after 'the house that jack built' ' blowing my young mind.
However two of my later favourites actually had less of the leads, Who's Who' in which I thought Freddie Jones and Patricia Haines were fantastic, and 'Killer' with charming Jennifer Croxton, which was a run of the mill episode, but I thought she carried it well and had lovely future potential.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

For some reason, the colour shows, started with "Escape In Time", tonight, with the first one, "From Venus With Love", on tomorrow night.

They also managed to miss out, "A Sense Of History" ( with Patrick Mower and Jacqueline Pearce ) last week, so 25 out of 26 from the Monochrome series.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Turned out to be "The Bird Who Knew Too Much", tonight, and not the first one as advertised.

Tonight's seemed to be in the wrong ratio , and the wrong speed, as the voices sounded a slightly higher pitch.

What is it with, "The Avengers", will any one ever get it right.?

Richard F
405 lines

Post by Richard F »

Mark wrote:Turned out to be "The Bird Who Knew Too Much", tonight, and not the first one as advertised.

Tonight's seemed to be in the wrong ratio , and the wrong speed, as the voices sounded a slightly higher pitch.

What is it with, "The Avengers", will any one ever get it right.?
So the clown car that is True Entertainment rolled on, with Wednesday night finally seeing From Venus With Love (though the EPG suggested The Fear Merchants) again in the wrong aspect ratio, again with ad breaks hacked in apparently at random mid-scene and again with the continuity announcer fluffing her "Next on...." lines over the end credits (I'm beginning to think this is some sort of cry for help.....).

Also still puzzling over A Sense of History not being shown either - It can't have been the subject matter they thought too sensitive can it?

The Lurker In The Shadows
405 lines

Post by The Lurker In The Shadows »

Richard F wrote: and again with the continuity announcer fluffing her "Next on...." lines over the end credits (I'm beginning to think this is some sort of cry for help.....)
I've been wondering about that. It's almost as if the 'Next on...' bits are recorded, with the programme titles added in separately, the intonation is identical each time. There's an occasional, 'Alternatively on...' which is the right link, but it's wrong so often that I'm always slightly startled when they use the right one.
Would it make any sort of sense to have these links recorded in bits and stitched together (badly) for broadcast?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Transmission of programmes and presentation, is all automated, on most of these channels, AFAIK, which is one of the reasons you sometimes get an announcement before the end credits.!

The non-appearance of ,"A Sense Of History" is a bit puzzling, can't see it being sensitivity, over the subject matter, as I'd doubt they'd notice, perhaps it wasn't supplied.

The colour ones, seem to be in production order (although "The Fear Merchants" should have been first) if it isn't that one tonight, it should be "The See-Through Man", confirming production order.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

That's it then, they are being shown in production order, with "The Fear Merchants" AWOL, as with "A Sense Of History".

Richard F
405 lines

Post by Richard F »

Mark wrote:That's it then, they are being shown in production order, with "The Fear Merchants" AWOL, as with "A Sense Of History".
It's increasingly bizarre (though hopefully it will be a while before we see that episode!) - The See-Through Man had Escape In Time's EPG description, while yesterday's Venus had Fear Merchants. And last week A Sense Of History was described in terms something like "a dangerous economic theory could destabilise Europe", hence my admittedly unlikely theory they might have pulled it due to current events.

How they picked out the Bird Who Knew Too Much is anyone's guess but it was instructive to view this a day after possibly the show's apogee Escape In Time, just to see how much things seemed to have run out of steam by the end of that season.

Richard F
405 lines

Post by Richard F »

So The Winged Avenger tonight in the RIGHT ASPECT RATIO !!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, from "The WInged Avenger", up to "Who's Who", the production and TX order were the same.

Always liked "The Winged Avenger", the scenes of Frank Bellamy's artwork, turning into the real thing were really well done, and the "Batman" spoof in the fight sequence, was great fun.

"The Living Dead", on Monday, another superb episode, with a great spooky atmosphere.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

So....tonight's episode ("Death's Door") had last nights episode's ("Return of the Cybernauts") end credits on.

Must be the work of a diabolical mastermind.!

The Lurker In The Shadows
405 lines

Post by The Lurker In The Shadows »

One of the episodes - 'The Superlative Seven', if memory serves - was shown with no interruption or squeezing to the credits, followed immediately by the same credit sequence with added squeezing and voice-over. It's a rum and ramshackle approach on that channel.

ozsat
625 lines

Post by ozsat »

The whole episode details on True Ent is a mess

The Avengers has no episode details half the time - and where there is some it is wrong half the time.

Noticed the same for Planet of the Apos and Touched by an Angel.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It does seem very hit and miss.

Tonight's episode ("Murdersville") was edited, shots of Mrs Peel lowered in the water, and a character being skewered with a spear were excised.

Pre-watershed..?

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

The Radio Times still listing The Avengers as being BW

DuncanS
405 lines

Post by DuncanS »

Mark wrote:So....tonight's episode ("Death's Door") had last nights episode's ("Return of the Cybernauts") end credits on.

Must be the work of a diabolical mastermind.!
The Master Minds the other night certainly didnt have the correct end credits - when Bernard Archard is the main on screen villain for most of the episode you tend to notice when he's not named in the end credits and when certain well known actors who the credits claim were in the episode but who clearly werent!!!!

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

Tonight's a good one - All Done with Mirrors. Better than I remembered it, though I haven't seen this one since the '80s. Director Ray Austin laying on the style with the fish-eye shots.Extraordinary fight between Tara and the Brian Blessed lookalike. Scary stuff, I imagine, if you're quite young as the bugger was big and also moved like lightning. Very funny as well. And solar energy as a background theme in 1968!

groovy69
405 lines

Post by groovy69 »

Are people really watching these? Surely if anyone is a fan they'll have the DVDs by now, as whenever I have accidentally strayed onto this channel when they have been broadcasting an episode the picture quality is dire. I can see it's from the usual masters we are used to except that the image is about 10 times softer. Can't watch more than 10 seconds myself.

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

groovy69 wrote:Are people really watching these? Surely if anyone is a fan they'll have the DVDs by now, as whenever I have accidentally strayed onto this channel when they have been broadcasting an episode the picture quality is dire. I can see it's from the usual masters we are used to except that the image is about 10 times softer. Can't watch more than 10 seconds myself.
I agree.
As an archive tv collector I buy anything I'm interested in and viewing of anything ( not just The Avengers) is usually confined to a few minutes to see the inevitable mess any channel will make of a broadcast.

True Entertainment haven't let us down on that front. The screenings aswell as the listings could hardly be a bigger cockup.

The RT lists the broadcasts as B&W weeks after they moved onto colour.
EPG often list a different episode to the one actually aired.
End credits have been shown that are from a totally different episode to the one that was aired.
Sound is incorrect ( although thats not the fault of the channel).
Cuts.

And that's ignoring the dire picture quality you get from a channel like True Entertainment.
Hard to see why anyone would bother at all

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

I can tell the faults, including the poor picture quality and the random order of episodes, but the last time I checked the commercial releases were still a bit pricey for me. It's true that if you want to watch something your way you've basically got to buy it.

DuncanS
405 lines

Post by DuncanS »

Personally The Avengers isnt must see or indeed must be owned TV, its something to dip into if there is nothing else on rather than something to have on the shelf to be watched as and when.

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Post by Paul Hayes »

DuncanS wrote:Personally The Avengers isnt must see or indeed must be owned TV, its something to dip into if there is nothing else on rather than something to have on the shelf to be watched as and when.
I agree - I haven't watched any of this run, but I did occasionally enjoy catching the odd episode back when BBC Four used to show them. But it's not a series I've ever felt any particular need to own.

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

ctraynor wrote:I can tell the faults, including the poor picture quality and the random order of episodes, but the last time I checked the commercial releases were still a bit pricey for me. It's true that if you want to watch something your way you've basically got to buy it.
Yes that's one of the unfortunate things about the show being owned by Studio Canal - over priced releases that rarely drop down in price and often only for a short time and from a single retailer.

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

DuncanS wrote:Personally The Avengers isnt must see or indeed must be owned TV, its something to dip into if there is nothing else on rather than something to have on the shelf to be watched as and when.
Then you are obviously part of the audience these broadcasts are aimed at.
My point was , if you are a collector of any of these shows then these broadcasts are way under par - but they are also sub standard by any measure but that's how it goes with British digital tv and True Entertainment are far from being alone with the low standards.
These current repeats make the Bravo airings of the 90's look top quality.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

One of my all time favourites, I have all the DVD's, including the French phone box set, but I still try to watch it, can't resist, yes they are nowhere near up to the standard of the DVD's, but even they have had their faults over the years.

The colour episodes have been shown in production order, and appear to have been edited for violence, stabbings seem to be a no-no, but shootings are okay, it would seem.

Probably due to the pre-watershed time slot (so it makes you wonder why it couldn't have been scheduled an hour later to avoid that).

At least the ad breaks are short, hardly time to nip to the loo, whereas other channels have such long breaks, by the time one has ended (after ads and trails) I have genuinely forgotten what I was watching in the first place.!

Even the Beeb are at it these days, apparently the screenings of "Hi De Hi" are often in the wrong order, including the two part "Who Killed Mr Partridge" story.

Although the 80's CH4 repeats were edited copies, they rarely mucked up transmission, a glitch during "The Bird Who Knew To Much" and no end credits on "Whoever Killed Poor George Oblique Stroke XR40", are two that spring to mind.

prisoner5
625 lines

Post by prisoner5 »

Must admit i'm really enjoying these re runs, i don't have the boxsets but know i enjoyed them when orignally aired, can even remember some of the Cathy Gale episodes,only comment i wouldve liked to have seen would have been the break bumpers in the right place before the ads.

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

Mark wrote:
Although the 80's CH4 repeats were edited copies, they rarely mucked up transmission, a glitch during "The Bird Who Knew To Much" and no end credits on "Whoever Killed Poor George Oblique Stroke XR40", are two that spring to mind.
What was the glitch in Bird?
I made the mistake of only recording selected episodes after the first 8 or 9 but Bird was one of the ones I did record as they skipped some like The Living Dead and The See Through Man on the late night so subsequently would have watched it often.
Terrible edits near the start are what I recall most of all.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The "Bird" glitch was no sound, in the scene with Steed talking to the Bird of the title, in Mark's flat.

I remember the edits, most if not all of the tag scenes were gone, they were using ITV repeat copies, IIRC, they advertised it during CH4's start-up previews...it was the first time I had seen the original series in about ten years, since the last of the repeats.

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

Mark wrote:The "Bird" glitch was no sound, in the scene with Steed talking to the Bird of the title, in Mark's flat.

I remember the edits, most if not all of the tag scenes were gone, they were using ITV repeat copies, IIRC, they advertised it during CH4's start-up previews...it was the first time I had seen the original series in about ten years, since the last of the repeats.
Did you view on C4 Wales ?
If not , the glitch must have been regional as I never had that on my recording. I would have scrapped the episode if it had anything like that in it as I was being selective at the time.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Does anyone remember Without Walls - Avenging the Avengers? The retail VHS included some extra interview footage.
This is nøt å signåture.™