Goodbye Again (Pete & Dud) in colour

What's not currently on the box
brigham
HD

Re: Goodbye Again (Pete & Dud) in colour

Post by brigham »

Mark wrote:Didn't know that!...It's about time that "Best Of" was replaced with a set of surviving material.

Can't be any objections now, surely.
Under the prevailing mindset, it might be best to get it issued quickly, before any more 'objections' are found.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

brigham wrote:
Mark wrote:Didn't know that!...It's about time that "Best Of" was replaced with a set of surviving material.

Can't be any objections now, surely.
Under the prevailing mindset, it might be best to get it issued quickly, before any more 'objections' are found.
Meh... I expect the most trouble from estates and music rights. Of course, you never know these things, but content-wise they weren't really exploring anything dangerous. There's just the occasional stereotypical gay, and the clearly ironical sexism. Nothing else springs to mind immediately.

And religious references might now finally be allowed back in. People objecting to stuff is nothing new, it's just that it used to be a different angle in the mary whitehouse days. But the principle is the same.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I'm sure it could be done now, and given the same treatment as "ALT1948S", "DNAYS" and "Python".
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Mark wrote:I'm sure it could be done now, and given the same treatment as "ALT1948S", "DNAYS" and "Python".
Actually, the 1948 Show didn't receive the best possible treatment, I'm sorry to say. The video material had a few problems - more than DNAYS - but it got only very cursory attention. Easily fixable problems were not addressed. Old transfers for S2E1 and 2 - the old NTSC disc actually beats those two in picture quality (these two episodes all go back to one source, namely the compilations).
There's also a weird use of a video source at the start of s1e5, leading some to suspect the company responsible was trying to hide some damage.

Although it would still be a step forward of course if this happened to NOBA.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

From a content point a view, but yes, tech wise, it may be a case of not worth it from a sales angle.

"Python" gets the full treatment, presumably because it would be a much bigger seller.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Mark wrote:From a content point a view, but yes, tech wise, it may be a case of not worth it from a sales angle.

"Python" gets the full treatment, presumably because it would be a much bigger seller.
The transfers, MAYBE. It probably saved a little bit of money to transfer 6 telerecordings instead of 8.
But putting back end credits, or a little bit of clever editing to mask a film break, well, that wouldn't cost a thing. The whole problem is (and I know I've said this before) is that we're not supposed to watch "1948"; we're supposed to watch only disc 3 where it's being discussed.

Python sometimes suffers from the same thing; there are just as many hours of Python documentary as there are of original content!! (The "lawyer's cut" is the worst; it has some people discussing production details who weren't even alive back then! But they're keen to appear to be associated with it...)

Although the new Flying Circus set does not seem to suffer from this. :D

And anyway, hopefully this kind of thing will not happen with Cook and Moore, if a release were to happen. Perhaps Stephen Fry will turn up to fawn over it. It depends on the company that would undertake the project I suppose??

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, BFI or Network, I should think, and how much they want to spend on it.

Hopefully with surviving Audio as well, of course.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Mark wrote:Yes, BFI or Network, I should think, and how much they want to spend on it.

Hopefully with surviving Audio as well, of course.
It's just my superficial impression but I would imagine Network to go primarily for the essentials, and the BFI doing comparatively more discussion, dissection and analysis.

There's quite a lot of audio-only, sometimes abridged, which would require sorting, identifying, making decisions...
And it isn't all in one place either! Chances are some off-air tracks get missed / skipped.

We'll have to hope.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I'm sure either Network of BFI would have no problem in sorting out all the audio, any discussion/documentary material would be limited, with so few personnel from the series still around, I would have thought.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Mark wrote:I'm sure either Network of BFI would have no problem in sorting out all the audio, any discussion/documentary material would be limited, with so few personnel from the series still around, I would have thought.
Now you're beginning to get too optimistic. There will always be other comedians who are willing to force their opinion on us even though they have not much concrete information.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Mark wrote:I'm sure either Network of BFI would have no problem in sorting out all the audio, any discussion/documentary material would be limited, with so few personnel from the series still around, I would have thought.
Now you're beginning to get too optimistic. There will always be other comedians who are willing to force their opinion on us even though they have not much concrete information.
Or explain why something's funny, just in case we don't get the joke.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Mark wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:
Or explain why something's funny, just in case we don't get the joke.
Ironically that's probably the sort of thing that Peter Cook would do for a sketch!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Good point, such a shame they are not both still with us, they could have done just that as Pete and Dud as a brilliant extra!

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

While mentioning the Kraft tie up... after Goodbye Again ATV produced another series which although forgotten now,perhaps should be mentioned as it had regular guests like Norman Wisdom and Terry Thomas and was known as Music Hall in the UK, and was perhaps a pre cursor to Slapstick & Old Lace ? ..and although not a success in either the UK or US it apparently did rather well elsewhere.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

There looks to have been two series of Music Hall - the first, with 8 editions, picked up by London Weekend Television in the London area and broadcast 21 Sept - 9 November 1969. A second, shorter, series followed a year later, 2 - 23 Jul 1970, with Thames taking it for the London area.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Must have been more of a success than the Drake series as they all still exist, it seems.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Mark wrote:Must have been more of a success than the Drake series as they all still exist, it seems.

I vaguely remember Slapstick and if I recall correctly it completely centered around Drake performing old musical hall skits and acts. I would presume that some of the audience at least would have remembered the original acts and felt Drake was treading on sacred ground, while the rest of us just thought it was Drake being Drake ie like Marmite.
I would also think that it was another one of those conflicts between producer and star, where the producer knows what makes a popular show clashes with what the star wants.
IIRC ATV let it float around in pre Coronation St slots in many regions,

while Music Hall had more suited weekend slots and would have probably picked up a regular audience in a stable slot as an ATV programme in which it was automatically granted a network slot.. but as an ITC programme it was considered as a bought in programme and at the mercy of the station buyers.

Perhaps just a coincidence that the shows ATV have lost are by artistes they found 'difficult' . They apparently loved working with eg David McCallum, Joanna Lumley and Kathleen Harrison, otherwise, maybe the likes of Sapphire and Steel may not have survived complete?

but I am just rambling...

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

The Daily Mirror had this to say about the series the day the last edition was broadcast:

Last of Drake?
I'll be very surprised If ATV bring back Charlie Drake's "Slapstick and Old Lace" (most areas, 9 pm.). Tonight's show is the last In the present series, and after the expense involved the studios could have hoped for ratings better than around fifteenth. Charlie has written the words and the music for "Slapstick and Old Lace," but the viewers just aren't seeing the joke.

Thames broadcast it around 7pm, and Southern around 8pm.

doubleM
625 lines

Post by doubleM »

fatcat wrote: Perhaps just a coincidence that the shows ATV have lost are by artistes they found 'difficult' .
As almost certainly the most commercially aware British TV company ever at the time of its existence, I doubt ATV let sentiment get involved at all regarding whether programmes were kept or junked.

If there was any sort of market for the original tapes they would have kept them, if there wasn't but some financial incentive (especially internationally) in making/retaining film copies they'd have done that. If neither seemed to have a value, 'junked' status would be forthcoming, probably after the 'allowed repeat' period on British TV at the time.

Possibly "administrative error" may have lead to material being lost or even more rarely a technical cock-up during transfer/remastering in later years, under the various ownership of the libary catalogue.
.. ah yes, well worn carpets and the pungent smell of over-boiled vegetables!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Interesting review from Stearn, obviously wasn't well received, perhaps didn't sell very well either?

I'm sure there wasn't any problem between producer O'Riordan and Drake as they had worked well together on "The Worker".

There are a number of ATV comedy shows that were not kept, such as two Norman Wisdom series, "Norman" (1970) and "Nobody Is Norman Wisdom" (1973), which could be seen as unusual as he was always very popular, although I don't recall them being up to his usual standards.

Also, a vehicle for Leslie Crowther, "Big Boy Now", (76-77) similar to "Sorry", both series of that have gone as well.

Would be good to know when these shows were dispensed with, as for "Sapphire And Steel", there was that story, years ago that some of the tapes were being used as doorstops, but who knows?