Recommendations for a good series?

What's not currently on the box
drmih
625 lines

Re: Recommendations for a good series?

Post by drmih »

Mark wrote:
rachel leah wrote: I actually like the over dramatized silliness in I Claudius.
In that case, it's probably worth mentioning "The Cleopatras" from 1983, although sadly, it has yet to be released.

Also still in limboland, is "The Borgias" from 1981, and an excellent 1978 series called "The Devil's Crown" ( if you don't mind some fairly mild language), why these three are not on the shelves, I don't know.
I wouldn't wish The Cleopatras or Borgias on my worst enemy!

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

In TV or in real life (arf).

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

Another great old tv series is Rumpole of the Bailey. Best not to watch too many epsiodes in a row; like a fine cognac, one to savour than gulp down.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

marsey wrote:Another great old tv series is Rumpole of the Bailey. Best not to watch too many epsiodes in a row; like a fine cognac, one to savour than gulp down.
True.!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

ctraynor wrote:In TV or in real life (arf).
Both, probably...ha..ha.

It must be said, both "The Borgias" and "The Cleopatras", were not well received critically, the latter was almost comic strip, and a bit bonkers, and certainly not anywhere near in the same league as "I Claudius", but it would be interesting to see again.

I'd like to see "The Borgias" again, for a reappraisal, it had it's faults, certainly.

"The Devils Crown", was seriously good, though.

didi-5
625 lines

Post by didi-5 »

Of your original list they are all good except Clayhanger, which I found slow and ponderous ...

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

ian b's list, but yes, I was disappointed with "Clayhanger" on it's first showing, more than watchable, but not amongst the best, that's for sure.

IndigoTucker
405 lines

Post by IndigoTucker »

There's a decent serial hiding deep in Clayhanger. Very deep.
"An architect?, an architect??" - repeat ad nauseum.

Service Information
405 lines

Post by Service Information »

Rachel mentioned Lillie in the original post. Just finished watching it last week - 'rationed' to once a week, as I don't believe in 'binge viewing!

It's well worth your time - typical of its era, with the emphasis more on storytelling than flashy production values. (at one point a b/w still of New York is used to tell us our heroine has flown to America). Francesca Annis does a persuasive job in the title role, Anton Rogers and Denis Lill do solid work too.

A couple of minor caveats:

I think it would have made a better 10 parter than the 13x1 hour episodes LWT made - the series seemed padded out with same-y scenes of Lillie going to dances as she moved up the social ladder.

Peter Egan's portrayal of Oscar Wilde came to annoy me over the course of the series - just *too* fey and clever to be true, I'm afraid.

If you can live with the above, I think you'll enjoy Lillie as I did.

TonyCurrie
625 lines

Post by TonyCurrie »

I'd second the recommendations of "The Plane Makers" and "The Power Game". Although B/W they were brilliant telly, and haven't aged at all badly thanks to great writing and a wonderful cast. The first title was a drama series about a company that manufactured aeroplanes, and all the financial, political goings-on; that led to mostly the same characters battling it out in the boardroom for control of money & power. And sex of course. Patrick Wymark played the boss and was brilliant.

I'm afraid I saw Onedin Line first time round and it bored me to tears.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

I've heard a lot of good things about The Plane Makers/The Power Game. It seems to be in a lot better shape re archived episodes than its BBC equivalent Mogul/The Troubleshooters. That had a great reputation too. Can anyone vouch for that as I haven't seen that show either.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

I've seen a few episodes of MOGUL and THE TROUBLESHOOTERS and thought them uniformly above average - and it is very obviously the BBC's attempt to rival the ATV series. I'd welcome a dvd release of what survives.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It's very high on my list of BBC Drama series wish list, I would snap up if it was released.

Great scripts with a top-notch cast, and the quality production you would expect from the Beeb.

Totally convinced, MC'rs would love it, especially if fans of "Plane Makers"/"Power Game".

Enough surviving for several DVD's, at a loss as to why it hasn't surfaced, yet, very frustrating.

The Black Nun
625 lines

Post by The Black Nun »

The Onedin Line is a killer. Totally addictive. The first two series are available in the UK, the rest can be got from Australia.

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

Also worth mentioning that there are some terrific modern tv series. Breaking Bad is easily as good as the best of archive classic tv. In fact it's one of the few series that concentrattes as much on the characters as it does on the storyline, which is much more like tv from the 60/70/early 80s. Also Game of Thrones is a terrific tv series. Not all modern tv is terrible (although much is).

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

Breaking Bad I go with. Extraordinary programme.

I've avoided Game of Thrones even though it's presumably well made and all that.

Wolf Hall is also well worth a look. It's not afraid to rely on tension arising from the writing, acting and atmosphere created (as indeed did Breaking Bad, how's that for an odd comparison). A very refreshing change from all the previous naughty romps set in that era. I saw those previous efforts as Carry on Henry without the jokes.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

ctraynor wrote:Breaking Bad I go with. Extraordinary programme.
and the first few episodes of 'Better Call Saul' have been just as good and with exactly the same feel.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

Reilly - Ace of Spies. I'm finally catching up with all of this 12-part series. The first three episodes are rippers, especially the second and third. Four to five (which I'm halfway through) a bit less so but that's often to be expected midway through a series. Screenplay by Troy Kennedy Martin, co-directed by Martin Campbell.

Useful, those charity shops.

rachel leah
405 lines

Post by rachel leah »

During the recent Network sale I bought Edward the Seventh, because of this thread's recommendation, and "Ladykillers" due to my curiousity and because it was heavily reduced :). I haven't watched them yet.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

I'd like to know how you rate Edward the Seventh. Don't think I've seen it since it was first on. As I said though, I remember it being good.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

Finished Reilly - Ace of Spies. Very good. David Burke makes an excellent Stalin, if you take my meaning.

It seemed to have about half the cast of the later Edge of Darkness in it. Both written by TKM and directed by Martin Campbell. Hmm.