Spy Trap

What's not currently on the box
Harry Richards
Baird 30-line Televisor

Spy Trap

Post by Harry Richards »

From Lost Shows.com I am all too aware that all bar the third series of this (in my opinion) wonderful BBC espionage drama series from the early-to-mid 70s has now been lost. I have fond memories of this series, both in its 7pm weekday slot (in the pre-Triangle days) and in its later scheduled run, which seems to be what has survived, and would love to see it again for old times' sake. I emailed what I think was Simply a few years ago to ask whether they had any intention of putting out what remains of the series but was told by whoever emailed me back that they didn't own the rights and that I should contact whichever production company originally made the series.

We are talking about the first half of the 70s here when as far as I'm aware the BBC were making the shows themselves and they weren't made by independent production companies on behalf of the BBC, so I'm guessing that this was just a standard response without any specific knowledge of the programme or era in question. "Ace of Wands" is a case in point where Network released what remained of the series - the entire third season - and covered the synopses and background information for the lost series one and two in Andrew Pixley's excellent accompanying booklet. So just because so much of a show's history is seemingly lost I don't see why that should necessarily rule out a commercial release for what remains. The quality of the tapes in storage won't exactly be improving with age and no doubt need transferring to another medium.

Sadly many of the show's principals are no longer with us (Paul Daneman, Tom Adams) but it saddens me that the show seems all but forgotten and, with so much it by all accounts wiped, this situation seems unlikely to change. Unless......

Mark
Committee

Re: Spy Trap

Post by Mark »

You probably noticed, from Lost Shows, that the first 4 parter, also survives as B&W Telerecordings.

The last series was repeated on UK Gold, back in the 90's, it was an excellent series, and with various other series, of the time, getting released (such as "Warship") it could still turn up, hopefully.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Mark wrote:The last series was repeated on UK Gold, back in the 90's, it was an excellent series.
Are you sure about that? I've no memory of that at all, (or, more to the point, any recordings!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

ian b wrote:
Mark wrote:The last series was repeated on UK Gold, back in the 90's, it was an excellent series.
Are you sure about that? I've no memory of that at all, (or, more to the point, any recordings!
I don't have recordings either, funnily enough, but from memory it was shown around the same time as "Warship", I'm sure they were shown again together, in a Sunday morning slot, before 'The Vortex" strand first began, mid 90's.?

Can't find anything in what few online listings there are, so if anyone can confirm it..?

John Williams
Committee

Post by John Williams »

Mark wrote:
ian b wrote:
I don't have recordings either, funnily enough, but from memory it was shown around the same time as "Warship", I'm sure they were shown again together, in a Sunday morning slot, before 'The Vortex" strand first began, mid 90's.?

Can't find anything in what few online listings there are, so if anyone can confirm it..?
I used to watch Warship in its Sunday night into Monday morning slot when it was paired with Public Eye. I don't remember Spy Tray popping up, but that doesn't count for much as my memory of those days is a bit hazy.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, I know what you mean, although, I remember that double bill on Sunday nights, too, and later still, taping "Survivors" very late on Sunday nights because there were no ad breaks, they were still edited, though.

lovecraft
625 lines

Post by lovecraft »

Lockdown is giving me the opportunity of a full Blake's 7 rewatch. Seeing the wonderfully avuncular Paul Daneman in Killer led me to this series. What a shame this never got a release. Probably wont happen now of course.