Most obscure Network DVD release

What's not currently on the box
Bradders
405 lines

Most obscure Network DVD release

Post by Bradders »

What do you consider to be the most obscure TV show to get a DVD release on Network? Perhaps it's Knight Errant. I purchased the DVD in the Network sale, and enjoyed it, but I'm surprised that a show from the late 50s to early 60s with only two surviving episodes would get a release at all. I wonder how many discs they pressed? It's such a niche area that surely it can't be more than a few hundred

Lee Rose
405 lines

Re: Most obscure Network DVD release

Post by Lee Rose »

I ordered Our House over the weekend before the sale ended. Popular at the time, but I've never heard of it before the DVD. Probably no one but Carry On fans remember it today. Similarly, out of many episodes only a few survive.

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

Ah well, a look through Network's sales figures would be fascinating. One would have to sign the Netficial Secret's Act, of course, but maybe some years from now (perhaps when our digital content is all served up from 'The Cloud') it could be commercially acceptable for Network to make the figures for DVD/BD sales available because I'd love to find out what has been hot and what hasn't. I've evangelised one or two friends onto releases like Public Eye, The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes, Gurney Slade and Callan, but there's so much more that I like from the Network catalogue that I can only enthuse about to archive TV forum members.

I suppose the release of an incomplete story arc (as opposed to one-act episode) series like The Georgian House must rate fairly highly on obscurity.

John Williams
Committee

Post by John Williams »

Lollipop Loves Mr. Mole must be a contender. Pretty obscure comedy with only two surviving episodes and yet was still released.

Bradders
405 lines

Post by Bradders »

Lollipop... was written by Jimmy Perry, so there will always be a certain amount of interest for that reason alone. Mind you, there's quite a lot of David Croft material still unavailable - Oh Happy Band and Come Back Mrs Noah spring instantly to mind.

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

I'd have thought Indoor League would be up there, especially as most people even in the UK wouldn't have known it existed.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

The Tyrant King is worth considering. It's not even in the otherwise complete BFI book of children's drama.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

marsey wrote:I'd have thought Indoor League would be up there, especially as most people even in the UK wouldn't have known it existed.
Depends on the persons age, it's a legend to me!

"Shadow Squad"/"Skyport" is another contender, but however obscure, long may they continue.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

Mark wrote:
marsey wrote:I'd have thought Indoor League would be up there, especially as most people even in the UK wouldn't have known it existed.

"Shadow Squad"/"Skyport" is another contender, but however obscure, long may they continue.

Was it not regional though, so you would have to be of a certain age AND have lived in Yorkshire? Or was it shown in other regions?

John Williams
Committee

Post by John Williams »

From memory, the first series was Yorkshire only, but the subsequent series were show nelsewhere. They were certainly shown in the ATV region. Indoor League was also heavily featured in 'Fantasy Football' in the 1990s, so via one route and another it had quite a cult following.

Bodie
625 lines

Post by Bodie »

Well, there was that 'Black & White Minstrel Show' cover we saw on one forum or another, one fine first of April morning...

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

Tempo is pretty obscure

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Smith
Completely forgotten, street urchin,costume drama series from the makers of 'Ace of Wands' of which it predates and obviously survives unlike most of AOW.

Network didn't bother much with it and never gave it any publicity, and looks like they have now deleted it?

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Richard A wrote:Smith lives!
Well I'll be blowed thanks Richard
I looked it up some time ago and couldn't find it and thought it had not got passed the 'exclusive online release' bit.

Bradders
405 lines

Post by Bradders »

I've not heard of Smith. I'll check it out

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

The title sequence from SMITH was included in one of those Philip Schofield fronted BEST OF CHILDREN'S TV vhs releases, so not totally obscure.

Nothing from FLY INTO DANGER did though.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

ian b wrote:The tie sequence from SMITH was included in one of those Philip Schocked fronted BEST OF CHILDREN'S TV vhs releases, so not totally obscure.

Nothing from FLY INTO DANGER did though.
You really need to turn off auto-correct!
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

That's more likely frustration - four times I wrote that out only for it to obstinately NOT post.

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

Bradders wrote:I've not heard of Smith. I'll check it out
As luck would have it,it was in the Network sale.Which ended yesterday...

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

marsey wrote:
Mark wrote:

Was it not regional though, so you would have to be of a certain age AND have lived in Yorkshire? Or was it shown in other regions?
Yes, as John said, other regions had it, so it was well known, a clip was also used in "The Grimleys".

If only someone would release "The Galloping Gourmet" and "The Amazing World Of Kreskin", that would be lunchtime memories largely sown up!

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

John Williams wrote:From memory, the first series was Yorkshire only, but the subsequent series were show nelsewhere. They were certainly shown in the ATV region. Indoor League was also heavily featured in 'Fantasy Football' in the 1990s, so via one route and another it had quite a cult following.
Indoor League was shown by Southern. I don't know what time slot it had in Yorkshire, it was on at lunchtime down here.

The Tyrant King, mentioned earlier, was my most eagerly anticipated release next to Ace of Wands. The thing is that very little is obscure to those who frequent these forums ... whereas to my other half this whole site is a monument to the obscure.

~iw

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

Ian Wegg wrote:... The thing is that very little is obscure to those who frequent these forums ... whereas to my other half this whole site is a monument to the obscure.

~iw
Almost a 'mausoleum', one might say.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

I think I'll stick with monument!
Mark wrote: If only someone would release "The Galloping Gourmet" and "The Amazing World Of Kreskin", that would be lunchtime memories largely sown up!
Ah yes, George Kreskin, truly an amazing man. A very accomplished magician who never pretended that his act was anything but well practised tricks. If he had taken the lead of a certain Mr. Geller and claimed his powers were supernatural in some way, he would have been a hundred times more famous. I still have his book...

(Just Googled him, he's still around and performing: The Amazing Kreskin)

~iw

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

Was it not regional though, so you would have to be of a certain age AND have lived in Yorkshire? Or was it shown in other regions?[/quote]

Yes, as John said, other regions had it, so it was well known, a clip was also used in "The Grimleys".

If only someone would release "The Galloping Gourmet" and "The Amazing World Of Kreskin", that would be lunchtime memories largely sown up![/quote]

Lostshows has 2 of 3 episodes missing: http://lostshows.com/default.aspx?progr ... c780e75f07
I'm guessing that more than three were made? Wonder if he's got copies?

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Richard A wrote:Almost a 'mausoleum', one might say.
I wonder if I'm the only one who occasionally rhymes "mausoleum" with "linoleum"...?
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

I used to go to the recordings of "Kreskin" at the old City Road studios of Tyne-Tees in the 1970s. I think it must have been when I was a student at Newcastle University in the early 70s, as I doubt whether I would have trekked all the way from the family home in Durham.

As a student I also managed to get myself onto a guided tour of Scottish & Newcastle Breweries in Gallowgate, Newcastle. It was a hot summers' day and we went round in anticipation of the free bar and ice-cold lager we'd been told about. A college tutor even told us that they didn't need a licence as the beer was given away to visitors. At the end of the (boring) tour a delightful blonde lady (Miss Carpenter - I even remember her name) kitted out in tartan skirt and sash led us into the private bar where the pumps were covered with tea-towels. "I'll just get the keys" she said, before disappearing and returning five minutes later with . . . a trolley containing a tea urn and some cups.
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

perov
405 lines

Post by perov »

I certainly remember watching Indoor League in the Anglia Region.
I remember the same two young ladies in the audience who always seemed to be posing for the camera, and getting into shot.

"I'll see thee".

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

JWG wrote: Lostshows has 2 of 3 episodes missing: http://lostshows.com/default.aspx?progr ... c780e75f07
I'm guessing that more than three were made? Wonder if he's got copies?
The bulk of the shows were Canadian, but a number of them were a co-production with Tyne-Tees.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Bob Richardson wrote:I used to go to the recordings of "Kreskin" at the old City Road studios of Tyne-Tees in the 1970s. I think it must have been when I was a student at Newcastle University in the early 70s, as I doubt whether I would have trekked all the way from the family home in Durham.

As a student I also managed to get myself onto a guided tour of Scottish & Newcastle Breweries in Gallowgate, Newcastle. It was a hot summers' day and we went round in anticipation of the free bar and ice-cold lager we'd been told about. A college tutor even told us that they didn't need a licence as the beer was given away to visitors. At the end of the (boring) tour a delightful blonde lady (Miss Carpenter - I even remember her name) kitted out in tartan skirt and sash led us into the private bar where the pumps were covered with tea-towels. "I'll just get the keys" she said, before disappearing and returning five minutes later with . . . a trolley containing a tea urn and some cups.
That's very interesting, did you see the one with the 'Penthouse Pets', it's on YT.?