'Almost cast' actors

What's not currently on the box
billo
405 lines

Re: 'Almost cast' actors

Post by billo »

Yeah one of the 'extras' on the DVD set is a documentary re the show and it tells how Smith was first cast as the ex-gunslinger & Fuller suited that role better

Fuller was offered some cop shows but he preferred to stick with TV Westerns & films instead - later he was a perfect choice later to replace Robert Horton as scout in 'Wagon Train' playing 'Cooper Smith' (seasons 7-8) and finally made it to the Ponderosa in 'Bonanza: The Next Generation' playing 'Charley Poke' (a later similar figure to 'Candy' on the ranch )

It was a pity Fuller was not then cast in the later two 'Bonanza: The Return' TV Movies

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

I'm sure I read or heard somewhere (isn't that always the case?) that Mickey Rooney was being considered for the role of Archie Bunker in All In The Family, but turned it down. He might have been OK, but I find it hard to imagine him playing the role.

But isn't that also always the case? When a certain actor becomes synonymous with a character, Carroll O'Connor in this case, it's hard to imagine anyone else playing it.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

billo wrote:When Wilfrid Brambell briefly quit Steptoe and Son early on they were going to bump off old Albert, make Harry Corbett's Harold the father & bring in a young son (possibly to be played by David Hemmings) - Brambell quickly returned when his theatre production flopped & so Steptoe continued as was....
What, you mean Harry H as father to Hemmings?

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Simon36 wrote:
billo wrote:When Wilfrid Brambell briefly quit Steptoe and Son early on they were going to bump off old Albert, make Harry Corbett's Harold the father & bring in a young son (possibly to be played by David Hemmings) - Brambell quickly returned when his theatre production flopped & so Steptoe continued as was....
What, you mean Harry H as father to Hemmings?
Then NEITHER of them would have had their names on the sign!

Ian Fryer
405 lines

Post by Ian Fryer »

Controller 2957 wrote:Some bizarre ones include:

Famously apocryphal:

Charles Manson as one of The Monkees (Manson was actually in jail at the time of the auditions)
That one was started by Mickey Dolenz, in an interview in which he stated at the outset that all his answers were lies. Still the Manson story hung around for years!

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Manson is vaguely associated with the ACTUAL Beatles. I don't believe he was involved with the US TV version.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

brigham wrote:Manson is vaguely associated with the ACTUAL Beatles. I don't believe he was involved with the US TV version.

Something to do with the Beatles' track Helter Skelter Although McCartney was obviously referring to the fun fair ride, Americans had a different name for the same ride and didn't know what it means.....Manson got some idea it was some sort of code for him to take over the world....or something like that.

rosalyn
405 lines

Post by rosalyn »

I'll throw in my penny's worth though you probably know all these.

Elizabeth Shepherd as Emma Peel, who actually filmed part of the first episode of The Avengers series four, before being replaced with Diana Rigg.

Joanna Lumley tested as a Moonbase girl in UFO.

Trudi Van Doorn tested for Purdey in The New Avengers, but lost the part to Joanna Lumley. She did however appear in the first episode in a guest role.

Anthony Andrews was originally cast as Bodie in The Professionals and filmed some of the first episode which was then re-shot with Lewis Collins. Clive Revill was considered to play Cowley but wasn't available, while I think Jon Finch might have been an early choice to play Doyle.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Ann Holloway was Georgina in the un-transmitted pilot of "Adam Adamant Lives!".

Barry Foster and Brian Capron were cast as the leads in "Jack The Ripper", and had started work on it when production was halted, then Michael Caine and Lewis Collins on the new production.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

doubleM
625 lines

Post by doubleM »

rosalyn wrote: Trudi Van Doorn tested for Purdey in The New Avengers, but lost the part to Joanna Lumley. She did however appear in the first episode in a guest role.
In a similar situation, Elisabeth Sladen got close to being cast as Betty in Some Mothers Do Ave Em instead of Michelle Dotrice. She too got a guest role alongside Michael Crawford in consolation (as Judy at the beginning of the episode 'Hospital Visit').

To continue the Dr Who companion link, I think Louise Jameson got reasonably close to the role of Purdey as well.
.. ah yes, well worn carpets and the pungent smell of over-boiled vegetables!

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Louise Jameson did indeed get down to the final few for Purdey, and Katherine Fahy down to the final few for Leela.

Lesley Ann Warren and Susan Sarandon were screen tested for Lois Lane in the 1978 Superman.

Confessions of a Window Cleaner was turned down by Dennis Waterman and Richard O’Sullivan. The Stud was nearly Tom Jones: John Conteh, Norman Eshley and Leigh Lawson were also considered.

Stanley Baker could have been Regan, and of course Terence Stamp never forgave David Hemmings for getting Blow Up after thinking he had it in the bag...

Controller 2957
625 lines

Post by Controller 2957 »

rosalyn wrote: ...while I think Jon Finch might have been an early choice to play Doyle.
I heard that Jon Finch turned the role down because he 'couldn't possibly play a policeman.'
You see, no-one... NO-ONE escapes the new world!!

The Official Timeslip Website
http://www.timeslip.org.uk

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

John Cleese has said that at first he didn’t intend to play Basil Fawlty, and one person he had in mind for the part was Denholm Elliott.

doubleM
625 lines

Post by doubleM »

Controller 2957 wrote:
rosalyn wrote: ...while I think Jon Finch might have been an early choice to play Doyle.
I heard that Jon Finch turned the role down because he 'couldn't possibly play a policeman.'
Unlikely in itself as he played just that in the movie 'Diagnosis Murder' with Christopher Lee and Judy Geeson only a couple of years earlier.
.. ah yes, well worn carpets and the pungent smell of over-boiled vegetables!

Controller 2957
625 lines

Post by Controller 2957 »

doubleM wrote:
Controller 2957 wrote:
Unlikely in itself as he played just that in the movie 'Diagnosis Murder' with Christopher Lee and Judy Geeson only a couple of years earlier.
The quote is genuine but I'm not sure of the context. The quote looks to be part of a longer statement, but it's difficult to be sure.
You see, no-one... NO-ONE escapes the new world!!

The Official Timeslip Website
http://www.timeslip.org.uk

Ronco
625 lines

Post by Ronco »

Simon36 wrote:
Stanley Baker could have been Regan ... .
That would have made "The Exorcist" a lot more fun than it turned out to be.

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

Charles Manson was also way too old to be considered for a role in The Monkees even if he hadn't been in jail.

Tim Curry for the Doctor Who TVM.. although his claim to have suggested Paul McGann instead may be what we call "the talk show anecdote" version of events rather than reality.