When are they EVER going to release...

What's not currently on the box
Bodie
625 lines

Post by Bodie »

Sorry, just want to be the first to say it on the new forum!

Now the thread is here, however, let's keep the new place tidy and put any wishlists here.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Re: When are they EVER going to release...

Post by Don Satchley »

Shoestring Series 2...

Bodie
625 lines

Post by Bodie »

Metal Mickey S3 & S4.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

Mention of archive schools programmes back at the old place made me think today, that's a TV genre that seems to be totally absent from DVD. You'd think Network or the BFI would have given it a try.

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

Not the Nine o'Clock News full series

That Was the Week That Was

Westengland
625 lines

Post by Westengland »

Juswuh wrote:Mention of archive schools programmes back at the old place made me think today, that's a TV genre that seems to be totally absent from DVD. You'd think Network or the BFI would have given it a try.
As ever, it depends on what's survived, who owns the various rights and whether a release is commercially viable. Nevertheless, if those problems are passed, there could be plenty of material that could appeal to the general audience, not least because there was far more ETV (Educational Television) from the late nineteen-fifties to the late eighties than is usually realised, especially if ETV is defined as preschool to university plus adult education.

The ETV programmes most likely to be released on DVDs would be the dramas and documentaries; most of the other stuff would probably only get to an online rebroadcast. For example, the language series had lots of very interesting location filming in the relevant countries and often used local actors - but the format of the programmes are as dated as the LPs and cassettes that accompanied them, albeit people with an interest in language learning (like me) would want to see them.
Expect trouble if you know more than they do.

Mark C Bale
405 lines

Post by Mark C Bale »

With the recent passing of Clive Dunn, Bootsie and Snudge s2 onwards. Come on Network.........

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

The final series of "KYTV". I take it the others didn't sell well enough.
David Boothroyd wrote:That Was the Week That Was
That would be wonderful. I know it's black and white, and I know the topical nature of the comedy might be considered a stumbling block, but it's an important part of cultural history. Besides, we live in the internet age. If people don't get a joke, they can always look it up on Wikipedia. That's what I did with some of the clips that have turned up on YouTube.

RobinCarmody
625 lines

Post by RobinCarmody »

Not necessarily the sort of thing I'd have easily talked about in the old place, but I have a strange longing to see the full series of The Flaxton Boys.

stanbutler
405 lines

Post by stanbutler »

Mark C Bale wrote:With the recent passing of Clive Dunn, Bootsie and Snudge s2 onwards. Come on Network.........
Seconded! And Thirded for good measure...

Some of my long wished-for BBC releases are fially seeing movement, with a Dixon release already out and a Z Cars release mooted. Perhaps with Marriage Lines and Citizen James now out Acorn might go on to release other 60s b/w BBC comedy like Benny Hill, Dick Emery, Harry Worth, Hugh & I, Till Death Us Do part, Meet the Wife, what surfvives of Whacko, and particularly Sykes. From the 70s My Wife Next Door with John Alderton & Hannah Gordon, and Rutland Weekend Television. Also 80s sitcoms, L For Lester with Brian Murphy and Wyatt's Watchdogs with Brian Wilde & Trevor Bannister.

From Netowrk I'ms till hoping for ITV series like Beryl's Lot, the various 50s & 60s Hancock series now that his brother is no longer around to block them, Bernard Cribbins sitcom High & Dry, and Till Death...

On the already started front aswell as the rest of Boostie it'd be nice to see some movement on the rest of The Two of Us which salled after the first series whilst the rubbish Upper Hand galloped through quickly!

But the list is dwindling.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Westengland wrote:As ever, it depends on what's survived, who owns the various rights and whether a release is commercially viable
Loads has survived (including pretty much everything that kids of the 70s and 80s would remember) and most of it is owned by the BBC and ITV. As for commercial viability, I'd say it's no less viable than quite a lot of Network's output.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Rockcliffe's Babies, although I suspect that as time passes this is more unlikely as it's not as fondly remembered as some police dramas, or remembered at all!

didi-5
625 lines

Post by didi-5 »

I'd like to see some of the plays which ran on Thursday afternoon childrens' TV on the BBC. Of course The Enchanted Castle. I'd also like to see Helen A Woman of Today, and the surviving black and white serials from classic books which ran in the 1950s and 60s (I think only Barnaby Rudge and Wuthering Heights have been released so far). I'd second Rutland Weekend Television and add the Innes Book of Records but I think both are unlikely.

servalan66
405 lines

Post by servalan66 »

I'd like to see Prince Regent(Peter Egan) and Oscar(Michael Gambon), I can't see why they haven't been! Also the Cleopatra's, recently watched it on 'that' visual place, and it is rather good, if over the top!

Westengland
625 lines

Post by Westengland »

GarethR wrote:
Westengland wrote:As ever, it depends on what's survived, who owns the various rights and whether a release is commercially viable
Loads has survived (including pretty much everything that kids of the 70s and 80s would remember) and most of it is owned by the BBC and ITV. As for commercial viability, I'd say it's no less viable than quite a lot of Network's output.
An initial idea of what has survived is needed in order to publicise the programmes' existence. Apart from the genres I mentioned, I would hope that the various ETV science programmes could be released, including the ones about how television and radio works (they could be promoted for their historical interest as records of former technology and practices).

The Open University could probably create a viable series of releases from its television output too.
Expect trouble if you know more than they do.

Phantom Wombat
405 lines

Post by Phantom Wombat »

Doomwatch...

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

Cole wrote:Rockcliffe's Babies, although I suspect that as time passes this is more unlikely as it's not as fondly remembered as some police dramas, or remembered at all!
I remember it, very fondly, and not just because of the distinctive social realism theme tune. Had some good acting and the closing credits pan over inner London was made in an area I know very well. Odd thing is that many 70s shows tend to get released but late 80s shows are much less likely to.

stuartfanning
405 lines

Post by stuartfanning »

Plane Makers Set 3 (the final set). Over a year since Set 2 was released!

SDG1970
405 lines

Post by SDG1970 »

Nice new Forum - change of clothes always good for relations in my opinion!

My want list is certainly somewhat contracted, relative to the last time I registered for the MC back in late 2006. I did recently contact 2E again and asked them what the situation was with 'Target'. They said they "had not acquired the rights to this programme" AKA standard response B to futile punter.

Most of it - as per above - is BBC, but I wont list them. Excellent new Forum anyway (even with the Smilies disabled!)

Dave B
405 lines

Post by Dave B »

O.S.S. - White Hunter - The Gay Cavalier - R.C.M.P. - The Flying Doctor - African Patrol

Ernest Grainger
405 lines

Post by Ernest Grainger »

YTV's "Kate" starring Phyllis Calvert. I can dream!

Alice80
405 lines

Post by Alice80 »

Shoulder to Shoulder...A Little Princess (1972)...Thursday's Child...

Ernest Grainger
405 lines

How could I forget The Black and White Minstrel Show?

The Post Office
405 lines

Post by The Post Office »

Well, it's an opportunity to post at the new location. Here goes:
Telford's Change

didi-5
625 lines

Post by didi-5 »

servalan66 wrote:I'd like to see Prince Regent(Peter Egan) and Oscar(Michael Gambon), I can't see why they haven't been! Also the Cleopatra's, recently watched it on 'that' visual place, and it is rather good, if over the top!
I have Oscar, a region 2 release in the Netherlands.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

David Boothroyd wrote:Not the Nine o'Clock News full series

That Was the Week That Was

I'd second Not The Nine o'Clock News. I'd also like to see a complete release of Smith & Jones.

doubleM
625 lines

Post by doubleM »

Ernest Grainger wrote:YTV's "Kate" starring Phyllis Calvert. I can dream!
Considering YTV's "Justice" starring another female veteran film star Margaret Lockwood has recently seen the light of day on DVD, as has other Yorkshire drama of similar production vintage ...e.g. "Parkin's Patch", "The Main Chance", early "Emmerdale Farm" .. then it wouldn't surprise me to see Network get around to "Kate" at some point.
.. ah yes, well worn carpets and the pungent smell of over-boiled vegetables!

servalan66
405 lines

Post by servalan66 »

didi-5 wrote:
servalan66 wrote:I'd like to see Prince Regent(Peter Egan) and Oscar(Michael Gambon), I can't see why they haven't been! Also the Cleopatra's, recently watched it on 'that' visual place, and it is rather good, if over the top!
I have Oscar, a region 2 release in the Netherlands.
thanks for the nod, just found it on amazon! Have bought Shadow in the Tower and Duchess of Duke Street this way, seems odd that the BBC cannot release them, Shadow is a forgotton gem!

Cymon
405 lines

Post by Cymon »

I do wonder why they've never released the BBC Doomwatch episodes on DVD (bar the VHS released episodes)

Ernest Grainger
405 lines

doubleM wrote:
Ernest Grainger wrote:YTV's "Kate" starring Phyllis Calvert. I can dream!
Considering YTV's "Justice" starring another female veteran film star Margaret Lockwood has recently seen the light of day on DVD, as has other Yorkshire drama of similar production vintage ...e.g. "Parkin's Patch", "The Main Chance", early "Emmerdale Farm" .. then it wouldn't surprise me to see Network get around to "Kate" at some point.
Well I feel slightly more hopeful now. I think I just always thought "Justice" stood a chance because Margaret was a bigger star, and the show itself was a big ratings winner back in the day. Can't recall how well "Kate" did, but it actually ran for more episodes overall than "Justice", so it must have done alright!