When are they EVER going to release...

What's not currently on the box
Mickey
625 lines

Re: When are they EVER going to release...

Post by Mickey »

Cole wrote:Rockcliffe's Babies, although I suspect that as time passes this is more unlikely as it's not as fondly remembered as some police dramas, or remembered at all!
It is remembered, although the lack of repeats has obviously hurt it in that respect. I have very fond memories of the show, and of watching it on Friday nights (in secret, as my mother would definitely have disapproved!). There's an episode up on YouTube, incidentally. I can't link to it for obvious reasons, but I doubt it would be hard to find. I hadn't seen the show since its last broadcast on BBC1, but I was pleased to see that it holds up very well. I would dearly love to see a DVD release of both series.

"Rockcliffe's Folly" the BBC is welcome to keep to itself!

Corpse Candle
405 lines

Post by Corpse Candle »

Mickey wrote:
Cole wrote:Rockcliffe's Babies, although I suspect that as time passes this is more unlikely as it's not as fondly remembered as some police dramas, or remembered at all!
It is remembered, although the lack of repeats has obviously hurt it in that respect. I have very fond memories of the show, and of watching it on Friday nights (in secret, as my mother would definitely have disapproved!). There's an episode up on YouTube, incidentally. I can't link to it for obvious reasons, but I doubt it would be hard to find. I hadn't seen the show since its last broadcast on BBC1, but I was pleased to see that it holds up very well. I would dearly love to see a DVD release of both series.

It's a show that shocked me as a boy, the episode where a young lad with learning disabilitys is abducted by a man obsessed with body building worried me a lot.

You never see the suspect apart from hearing odd pieces of information about his strange characteristics and the only time you see the boy is right at the end which for me at a young age was quite disturbing. I watched a while back and despite not being nearly as destressing it was still quite gritty much like the rest of the series.

The characters came across as a little cartoonish at times but the other thing that stands out in the show is the different type of racial tension you had on the city streets and the attitude of one very racist policeman.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Mickey wrote:

Series one certainly got a repeat as that was where I recorded my off-airs from. I think the then UK Drama ran them a couple of times in the mid-00s.

I'd still like to see Rockliffe's Folly, if only for the completist in me.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Corpse Candle wrote:
Mickey wrote:

It's a show that shocked me as a boy, the episode where a young lad with learning disabilitys is abducted by a man obsessed with body building worried me a lot.

You never see the suspect apart from hearing odd pieces of information about his strange characteristics and the only time you see the boy is right at the end which for me at a young age was quite disturbing. I watched a while back and despite not being nearly as destressing it was still quite gritty much like the rest of the series.

The characters came across as a little cartoonish at times but the other thing that stands out in the show is the different type of racial tension you had on the city streets and the attitude of one very racist policeman.
Off the top of my head, that episode was 'A Bad Few Days' and was the episode that hooked me on the series.

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

I know…I bang on about it all the time, but…..more of the works of SPIKE MILLIGNA (the well-known typing error)

The Q series and There’s A Lot Of It About are loooooong over due for a release.
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

My Network wish list for 2013 would include:

Soldier and Me
Quest of Eagles
Educating Marmalade
The Gemini Factor
This Week
Up Sunday

Plus more Whicker, World In Action, Magpie

At least one ITC BD box set would be nice. Also more films on BD; the first wave of Odd Man Out, This Happy Breed, A Queen is Crowned and Things To Come was superb (as was Stones in the Park, although technically that was a TV show). Other existing DVDs that would benefit from this would be the Hammer horrors, Hell Drivers, The Day the Earth Caught Fire and The League of Gentlemen.

I'd also like some compilations of old game shows and variety (1950s-80s), and maybe some more Look Back, perhaps focusing on the 1980s or on pop shows like Lift-Off with Ayesha.

And one big wish would be for Network to have unlimited access to the BBC's archives. Not sure how likely that is, mind.

billo
405 lines

Post by billo »

I'd Love to see the American TV Series 'The Name of The Game' (1968 - 1971) out on DVD but NBC Universal seem to have 'forgotten' Universal ever made it...!

Apparently there are 'clearance' issues over music & episodes were recorded on different formats but these are issues that CAN be overcome.

At 90 minutes per episodes like 'The Virginian' & the 'Mystery Movies' (Columbo, McCloud, Banacek etc - which it directly inspired) NOTG was ground breaking

The show alternately starred: Gene Barry / Tony Franciosa / Robert Stack as the lead character

- and gave future 'McMillan & Wife' and 'Kate & Allie' star Susan Saint James her award winning TV debut as the Reasearch 'girl friday' Peggy Maxwell who appeared with all three stars (Sue got the 'McMillan' role as a result of her work in NOTG)

Robert Wagner, Peter Falk, Robert Culp, Darren McGavin, & Vera Miles also each took Special Guest Lead roles in one episode each (Culp made two Guest Lead appearances in the third season)

Gene Barry was a top millionaire Publisher Glenn Howard who moved in influential international circles - his stories were normally either big business or political intrigue tales...plus he had a few 'offbeat' more surreal stories....one was a futuristic sci fi tale re the dangers of a future polluted Earth ('L.A. 2017' directed by a young Steven Speilberg), another a spooky tale ('Tarot' guest starring David Carradine &William Shatner), another was a wild surreal tale ('One of The Girls in Research'), another a western ...while in 'Love in at Ground Zero' Howard is kidnapped on a desert highway by a gang of fanatical hippies and is to be forced to witness their planned mass protest suicide during a top secret chemical weapons test by the military...

Tony Franciosa played Jeff Dillon, top investigative Reporter for Howard's 'People' Magazine (he was a stylish 'playboy' type but was a dogged determined investigative reporter who hounded his culpable prey in a style later used by 'Columbo' - those segments were 'current affairs' stories - 'People' magazine eight years before the actual American mag of that name first appeared), Susan Saint James appeared in all the Franciosa episodes, once sharing a co-lead with him in 'The King of Denmark' (re a supposedly 'lost' Shakespeare play, guest starring Joseph Cotton)

Robert Stack played determined Ex-F.B.I. Investigator turned writer Dan Farrell (a more modern but very similar character to his 'Eliot Ness' character of 'The Untouchables'), who was editor of Howard's other big mag 'Crime' Magazine
- Stack's episodes were normally Crime capers - a young Ben Murphy (pre 'Alias Smith & Jones' & 'Gemini Man' played Stack's assistant Joseph Sample in some episodes) - most Stack episodes concluded with a negative image of a character(often the major guest) that then transformed into the latest cover of 'Crime' magazine.

Steve Speilberg, Steven Bochco, Dean Hargrove, Leslie Stevens, Gene L.Coon & Dave Grusin all worked on the show which had major Hollywood guest stars

Boris Karloff's final acting role was in the Gene Barry tale; 'The White Birch' which also featured Pete Duel & Roddy McDowall.

the award winning colour show had 76 episodes of feature length plus a earlier 1966 90 minute pilot film; 'Fame is The Name of The Game' which starred Tony Franciosa as 'Jeff Dillon' with Susan Saint James & guest Jack Klugman & Jill St.John. (that should be included in any future DVD box issue release)

this kind of show was very popular back in the late sixties / early seventies, but possibly due to the length of the episodes (over twice as long as most modern shows) it was seldom repeated, and has been overshadowed by Universal's TV 'Mystery Movies' shows that it directly influenced and inspired (where even the individual episodes credits yellow lettering was identical !)

this show deserves to be rescued from the NBC Universal TV archive and issued on DVD hopefully in 'region 0' (clips from it and the imaginative 'opening graphic' - which originally 'rotated' to put up the featured star each week first - can be found on youtube)

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

The Moondial, Century Falls and The Children of Green Knowle.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Doom Patrol wrote:Century Falls.
When are they going to release Century Falls?

On the 24th of July 2006: http://www.moviemail.com/film/29447/Cen ... cdd0a90f20

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

Out of the Unknown, The Flaxton Boys (seconding Robin's post except I'm old enough to remember it), Doomwatch (still keen to see the Re-entry Forbidden episode), Jamie, Freewheelers season 1 (as spruced up as they can make it), both 1984s, The Masks of Death and Tyburn's Peter Cushing appreciation), Muggeridge Ancient and Modern, Connections, Paul of Tarsus, The Voyage of Charles Darwin.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

ctraynor wrote:The Masks of Death and Tyburn's Peter Cushing appreciation
Funnily enough, I recorded them off-air together on a single tape. I seem to recall that they were screened very close together, but don't know whether that was deliberate or fortuitous.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

Ross wrote:
Doom Patrol wrote:Century Falls.
When are they going to release Century Falls?

On the 24th of July 2006: http://www.moviemail.com/film/29447/Cen ... cdd0a90f20
Good stuff Ross. I had no idea it was available. I note that Dark season is available too.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Doom Patrol wrote:The Moondial …
If you are referring to the children's ghost drama, The Moondial did get a DVD release but it was something like ten years ago.

Phantom Wombat
405 lines

Post by Phantom Wombat »

Cole wrote:
If you are referring to the children's ghost drama, The Moondial did get a DVD release but it was something like ten years ago.
In fact, it has had two releases: a compilation DVD and a proper episodic release from Reader's Digest. Both are deleted, unfortunately.

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

Phantom Wombat wrote:
Cole wrote:
In fact, it has had two releases: a compilation DVD and a proper episodic release from Reader's Digest. Both are deleted, unfortunately.
Ah yes. Jaqueline Pearce in best Servelan mode. I can't remember. Was it during or after B7?

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Several years after.

Both Century and Dark are well worth getting. I preferred Century at the time but found Dark even more enjoyable the second time around.

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

Still got Moondial and Century Falls on tape somewhere. Be good to see CF on DVD though.

Alan Hayes
625 lines

Post by Alan Hayes »

DEAD HEAD. Staggered this has still not got a release.

zippyfan
405 lines

Post by zippyfan »

Till Death Us Do part
Aquila
Shoestring series 2
Crystal Maze

Corpse Candle
405 lines

Post by Corpse Candle »

Off the top of my head, that episode was 'A Bad Few Days' and was the episode that hooked me on the series.
That's the one!

I have a few episodes on VHS but I also wanted to see it online but it seems youtube only has a couple of episodes of the series :/

I have also more or less given up on the hope of In Bed With Medinner and Still in bed with Medinner getting a DVD release due to all the rights that would have to cleared with all the clips they use on the show, not to mention the music rights they would have to get for the first few episodes :(

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

I finished a rewatch of "Sleepers" last night, and it got me thinking about "The Good Guys", another show that Nigel Havers did at around the same time. Not nearly as good as "Sleepers", obviously, but it was a good fun adventure series. I'd like to see that get released. Seems highly unlikely, as it's barely remembered, but then "Saracen" turned up on disc last year. That was of similar vintage, and probably just as barely remembered, so there's hope yet.

I'd quite like to see "TECX" again too, but that's probably a very wild dream indeed!

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

I'm actually quite surprised that Network haven't already released The Good Guys and Haggard, both starring Keith Barron. Both right up their street, I'd have thought.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Bodie wrote:Metal Mickey S3 & S4.
Yes..yes....and thrice yes...please.!

Also the rest of "The Two Of Us", and "Shelley", "Luna","Nobody's House", "Jamie", "The Foundation", "Me & My Girl","My Good Woman", "Russ Abbots Madhouse"....and "The Plane Makers" series 3.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

Ross wrote:I'm actually quite surprised that Network haven't already released The Good Guys and Haggard, both starring Keith Barron. Both right up their street, I'd have thought.
I'd forgotten "Haggard", but yes, you're right. They did the R2 release of "Class Act", I think (not sure, as I bought the R1 version years ago). All in a roughly similar vein, of good fun and cheerfully preposterous adventuring.

If you're listening, Network, you might want to think about "Perfect Scoundrels" as well!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Oh yes..."Haggard"...I forgot that one as well..... a great series, and one episode has Paul Darrow in it, a selling point, if ever there was one.

Another Barron show..."Room At The Bottom", would be nice too.

Have to give another vote to "The Flaxton Boys", too, saw it at the time and loved it.

doubleM
625 lines

Post by doubleM »

Mickey wrote:
Ross wrote: If you're listening, Network, you might want to think about "Perfect Scoundrels" as well!
As that was a TVS series, it's not only outside Network's usual licences but very unlikely to see the light of day on DVD through anyone!
.. ah yes, well worn carpets and the pungent smell of over-boiled vegetables!

Robin Davies
405 lines

Post by Robin Davies »

The Intruder

philip
405 lines

Post by philip »

The Roads to Freedom, BBC 1970.
Missed it at the BFI.

Lone Dog
405 lines

Post by Lone Dog »

Being an ITV viewer as a child I never saw The Changes, so I'd be interested in a release of that. If it wasn't a BBC production I'm sure Network would have had their hands on it long ago.

Also, Rutland Weekend Television.

I'm sure most people here are panting for the release of Doomwatch and the complete Not the Nine O'Clock News, so I would just like to add my voice to the calls for these series.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Forgot to include "Doctor's Daughters", as it would be great to see that one again as well, very good cast.