When are they EVER going to release...

What's not currently on the box
Beaker
625 lines

Re: When are they EVER going to release...

Post by Beaker »

Lone Dog wrote: Also, Rutland Weekend Television.
Seconded!

Very odd that this has never seen the light of day given the Python connection....anyone know why?
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

perov
405 lines

Post by perov »

Trinity Tales.

I saw Paul Copley in Last Tango in Halifax the other night, (what a prolific and under rated actor he is) and remembered his role in Trinity Tales.
Written by Alan Plater, starring Francis Matthews, Bill Maynard, Susan Littler etc - it was a wonderful series.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

I'm sure you're right. I've just never recognised him in anything apart from his part as Private Cole in A Bridge Too Far.

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

doubleM wrote:
Mickey wrote: If you're listening, Network, you might want to think about "Perfect Scoundrels" as well!
As that was a TVS series, it's not only outside Network's usual licences but very unlikely to see the light of day on DVD through anyone!
Drat! Ah well. Some things are best left in the past anyway.

Razor Eddie
625 lines

Post by Razor Eddie »

1990 anyone?
Contents may settle after packing.

Callan | The Hanged Man | Turtle's Progress | Kiwi TV

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

perov wrote:I saw Paul Copley in Last Tango in Halifax the other night, (what a prolific and under rated actor he is)
I second that sentiment. He's been in loads of good stuff - from taking pictures of the Princess execution in 'Death of a Princess' to being Nathan Maloney's outraged dad in 'Queer as Folk'. Always does it well and has a lovely accent.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

I've sure I've read that there's some obstacle to Rutland Weekend Television being seen again. I think Eric Idle himself has blocked it?

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Juswuh wrote:I've sure I've read that there's some obstacle to Rutland Weekend Television being seen again. I think Eric Idle himself has blocked it?
The speculation I've seen is that RWT was made when Idle's life wasn't particularly happy (he divorced in 1975), and he doesn't look forward to reminding himself about it. Not sure how accurate that is.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

David Boothroyd wrote:
Juswuh wrote:I've sure I've read that there's some obstacle to Rutland Weekend Television being seen again. I think Eric Idle himself has blocked it?
The speculation I've seen is that RWT was made when Idle's life wasn't particularly happy (he divorced in 1975), and he doesn't look forward to reminding himself about it. Not sure how accurate that is.
He doesn't have to watch it, and he could easily refuse the money.

Incidentally, why would Perfect Scoundrels be very unlikely to see the light of day on DVD? Was it that bad?

Mothy
405 lines

Post by Mothy »

Because it was a TVS production and, as I understand it, the current rights holders for TVS programmes won't allow them to be licenced for release without the proper paperwork being done... but the paperwork was all junked years ago.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

And Journey to the Unknown. I suppose. Only saw a few episodes on the repeat run in the early '80s. I remember Tise Vahimigi enthusing about the episode Matakitas is Coming in Starburst. Vera Miles is in it and it's directed by Michael Lindsey-Hogg so it sounds good. Also sounding scary is the episode The Last Visitor set in a boarding house with Geoffrey Bayldon as a creepy guest in one of the rooms. Can't believe that.

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

brigham wrote:
David Boothroyd wrote:
He doesn't have to watch it, and he could easily refuse the money.
I'd be happy with a CD copy of the excellent album of the series. I have a copy on MP3 from a tape from the LP. It hisses....

Mate of mine recently played a festival on the bill with Neil Innes and got to know him a bit. I must ask him to probe him for info if he sees him again.
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

MDK
405 lines

Post by MDK »

Another vote for Not the Nine O'clock News and Shoestring (2). Also:

Target
Warship
Aphrodite Inheritance
Candid Camera
Whodunnit (more of...)

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

The fourth series of Whodunnit is coming out on the 11th of March 2013.

atomic23
405 lines

Post by atomic23 »

I'm still hoping one day I'll see these

KEN DODD AND THE DIDDYMEN
LIFT OFF (the remaining few episodes)
TOP OF THE POPS (what's left of the 60's and early 70's footage)

rondo veneziano
405 lines

Post by rondo veneziano »

Not holding one's breath momentarily, but it's odd we're still waiting for The Prince and the Pauper (BBC/1976) and Nobody's House (TTT/1976). Oh well, as time marches on I guess there must be a chance somewhere down the road. Fingers crossed anyway.

doubleM
625 lines

Post by doubleM »

I'm hoping that as Network relatively recently released Scorpion Tales (ATV 78) and Shadows of Fear (Thames 70-73) that they might take a look at two LWT not disimilar themed anthologies of the early 70s namely Tales of Unease (70) and The Frighteners (71) - the latter was made 'Euston Film like' all on film around London locations ... and also Suspicion (ATV 71/72) which survives as b/w telerecordings - but then much ATV output of this period surviving as such has seen the light of day recently on DVD in this format.

The Central serial 'Charlie' with David Warner from 1984 would also be welcome as would the same company's 'Pictures' from 1983 a follow up to the released 'Flickers' also by Roy Clarke.
.. ah yes, well worn carpets and the pungent smell of over-boiled vegetables!

David Boothroyd
625 lines

What about that early C4 sitcom, Rude Health? Starring John Wells.

stanbutler
405 lines

Post by stanbutler »

Beryl's Lot is a must. Carmel McSharry, Barbara Mitchell, Robin Askwith etc.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

I remember liking the last episode (the only one I saw) of Come Back Mrs Noah with Molly Sugden. I'd like to see the rest of it. Sci-fi fans took a very dim view of it, as opposed to, say, Red Dwarf. But it's the very crass unsophisticatedness of CBMN that I enjoyed.

The Wooksta!
405 lines

Post by The Wooksta! »

The fully restored Kneale/Cartier BBC '1984 please. It's been sitting in rights hell for 8 years now.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

AJShepherd
405 lines

Post by AJShepherd »

West Country Tales.

Pretty please?

The Wooksta!
405 lines

Post by The Wooksta! »

Another vote from me for Target and 1990.

I would add one for Out of the Unknown but it's a rights minefield. A cleaned up and VidFired restoration of The Machine Stops would be superb viewing. I'd say the same about Level 7 but from the clips I've seen and having read the original novel it would be depressing viewing.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

Robin Davies
405 lines

Post by Robin Davies »

AJShepherd wrote:West Country Tales.

Pretty please?
Seconded

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I'd like to see "Jokers Wild", continued, as it's a great series, and brings back many memories.

The banter between, Les Dawson and Ray Martine, is highly entertaining, and gets better as it goes along, so more volumes would be very welcome.

Another vote for "Lift Off", as well, the surviving editions ( and maybe the comp material), would make a nice set.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

MDK
405 lines

Post by MDK »

I'd also like more Jokers Wild, its great banter.

And the John Mills Quatermass deserves a release IMHO

Michael
625 lines

Post by Michael »

The John Mills Quatermass episodes have already been released at least once.

My wish list would include The Fourth Arm and The Brothers season two and onwards.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

The Wooksta! wrote:Another vote from me for Target and 1990.

I would add one for Out of the Unknown but it's a rights minefield. A cleaned up and VidFired restoration of The Machine Stops would be superb viewing. I'd say the same about Level 7 but from the clips I've seen and having read the original novel it would be depressing viewing.
Yes, but that's the point of it. No one escapes fall out. I'm glad they recovered the episode.

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

Top of my wish list would be....

Doomwatch

And a few others I'd like to see would include...

About Face (with Maureen Lipman)
All At Number 20 (with Maureen Lipman)
Hilary (with Marti Caine)
The Land of Hope and Gloria
Marjorie and Men (Patricia Routledge)
Come Back Mrs. Noah (Mollie Sugden)
My Husband and I (Mollie Sugden)

I'm sure there are a few others if I think about it.

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

Another show I'd like to see released is The Changes from 1975.