Network DVD's in Poundland

What's not currently on the box
stevebirt
405 lines

Network DVD's in Poundland

Post by stevebirt »

I was in my local Poundland store yesterday evening and they were selling a range of Network releases from the past that have been repackaged by them with new covers and holders.

The releases were complete series of An Audience with Jasper Carrott, The Goodies LWT Series, Birds of a Feather 1st Series, Hale and Pace 3rd Series, Six Dates with Barker, Mrs Merton Show, Paul Mertons Galton and Simpson Playhouse, Beadles About, Dawsons Weekly. Also there were two editions of The Benny Hill Show.

JWG
D-MAC

Re: Network DVD's in Poundland

Post by JWG »

Network series ones turned up at Edinburgh Wool Shops a year or two back at £4.99.Many are still there...

BobDylan'sGrandmother
405 lines

Post by BobDylan'sGrandmother »

Pleased to say that I found a few of these today, in two different branches - though they only had Hale & Pace S3, The Goodies and Six Dates With Barker. Far from complaining, I'm hoping to find others coming my way very soon as I'm very interested in seeing most of these progs again. I particularly wanted the RB one for the Odd Job episode - loved that since I saw it on C4's TV Heaven season, circa 1992 (presented by Frank Muir) and I pretty much wore the tape out... It was only right that I took another look at that episode, before writing this.

Many thanks for the heads up! :)

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

Plus series 7 and 8 of Spitting Image.It's Mrs.Merton and Malcolm,I believe.
I bought the Ronnie Barker one,too.I'd never heard of the series.Starts off strongly-the 'pilot' of Clarence 10 years before the series,The Phantom Raspberry Blower,Tho Odd Job Man (which I thought was very funny.Hadn't realised the film was a TV spin-off)-but the last three shows are yuck.

p.s.It's easy to miss them because they often have their own display stand,possibly by the entrance.

BobDylan'sGrandmother
405 lines

Spitting Image, I've not seen for a long time and started watching from day one when I was about 13 - so it came along at just the right time! I'd definitely pick those up.

Yes, I read elsewhere it's supposed to be Mrs Merton and Malcolm - another I'd like to see, for the appearance of Brian Murphy. I didn't find it massively funny when it was broadcast (that, being the only time I've seen it) but the lasting impression I have is that he had some really good one-liners and made it worthwhile viewing - even though he was a 'minor' character in it.

I got to view Six Dates With Barker, about 2 years ago and agree that the first three episodes are rightfully memorable (partly because of them being remade in various forms... but I do like the film version of The Odd Job, being a Python fan. Still prefer the original version here.) Very like the Beeb's series from a few years later, called 7 of 1- but likely superior as that contained the pilots for Open All Hours and Porridge. That has a couple of episodes that I'd not exactly call wonderful too - still worth seeking out for those who've not seen it as they range from the good to the great. But out of the last three in Six Dates, the only one that comes back to mind is the odd sci-fi one ('All The World's A Stooge') and after seeing it, I don't think I was too fussed about viewing it again but having the DVD - I might as well, just the once. :D

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

Of course,Lesley-Anne Down's in the 'Stooge' one...

BobDylan'sGrandmother
405 lines

JWG wrote:Of course,Lesley-Anne Down's in the 'Stooge' one...
...who played a memorable role in The Pink Panther Strikes again (as a Russian spy, sent to assassinate Clouseau) a few years down the line. :)

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

The Poundland in Lewisham had them really hidden away at teh back, separate from both the other two racks of DVDs . I got Carrot, Birds of a Feather (I always thought it started strong, but got tired quickly in later series), Goodies (for completeness), Hale & Pace (not aged well), and Dawson. They also had Beadle, Benny Hill*, and Mrs Merton. No sign of Paul Merton, Barker or either Spitting Image, though. Will have to try the Surrey Quays and Tooting stores later in the week.

*Are there two Benny Hill discs? The Poundland website only seems to have one, giving ten discs in all.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

I think it's that there are two editions i.e. shows of Benny on the disc,making it more like the earlier cheapo Network discs.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:... No sign of Paul Merton, Barker ...
Dartford branch had Merton and Barker ONLY, annoyingly. I also checked the new small Poundland in Thamesmead yesterday and they had none at all.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Lakeside has Dawson's Weekly, Beadle's About, Hale and Pace S3, Birds Of a Feather, two Benny Hill's, The Goodies At LWT. It did have the Jasper Carrott, but that appeared to have all gone today.

As Dawson wasn't there a week ago, I am hoping that the Merton, Barker, and Spitting Images might turn up when I next pop in.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

It's a shame that the distribution seems so patchy. I can't think it can have been that, say, the Spitting Image discs were so massively popular in Lewisham that they sold out before all the others! That said, it looks like some chancers are flogging them at far more than £1 on eBay already.

stevebirt
405 lines

Post by stevebirt »

Nick The Croydon store (my local) had another delivery of most of the titles this week so it might pay you to travel a bit further. I have not seen Splitting Image anywhere so not sure if that is available. The ten I bought a few weeks ago (not all for myself) seemed to match up with the catalogue numbers with no gaps.

I was also up in Birmingham at the weekend and they had a few of them there in the City centre.

Michael
625 lines

Post by Michael »

JWG wrote:Network series ones turned up at Edinburgh Wool Shops a year or two back at £4.99.Many are still there...
I was in the Oxford branch today and they had volumes 1 to 9 of Out of Town for £4.99 each.

I know it's not a Network title but I thought it may still be of interest to someone...

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Turns out the Tooting Broadway Poundland has none - good job there isn't a Citizen Smith disc in the set. Think I'll wander over to Surrey Quays at the weekend.

Darren Fricker
405 lines

Post by Darren Fricker »

Poundland (Lancaster) has most of the titles mentioned above.

Eventually found them after walking round a few times, in a stand of their own near the front of the store labelled, 'Classic Comedy DVDs' (or similar) so I picked up Six Dates With Barker and The Goodies At LWT.

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

At the very least,this promotion has resulted in many of us discovering where our local 'Poundland' is located-information which might be useful at some time in the future.

BobDylan'sGrandmother
405 lines

I've looked in the two Poundlands in town here a few times in the week and all I'm seeing now is half a dozen Hale & Pace S3, remaining in one branch.

Managed to grab Dawson's Weekly and Mrs Merton & Malcolm in Derby today (this was the store right in the town - if that helps anyone as I've not visited there before) and they also had Benny Hill, Paul Merton and Birds Of A Feather - though just a small number of all.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Darren Fricker wrote:...and The Goodies At LWT.
Thanks, hope this turns up at the Edinburgh or Dundee stores!
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

JWG wrote:At the very least,this promotion has resulted in many of us discovering where our local 'Poundland' is located-information which might be useful at some time in the future.
More like discovering which Poundland stores are not stocking these discs, more like! Surrey Quays turned out to be a damp squib, with none at all. Mr 625 should be checking Stratford for me tomorrow....

stevebirt
405 lines

Post by stevebirt »

You should have come a bit further to Croydon Nick as suggested. Was in there again Saturday morning and still had a supply of Paul Merton and also Barker. I bought a copy of Merton for you if you still want it and have no success elsewhere, otherwise will keep in my collection. Can collect Barker tonight if they still have supplies. Croydon had supplies of others as of Saturday.

DuncanS
405 lines

Post by DuncanS »

Private Frazer wrote:
Work in Stirling so nipped into the one there at lunchtime yesterday as The Goodies is the one I want and they had Spitting Image and Paul Merton but nowt else, the ones they had were in amongst the rest of the DVD range, the majority of which were pre-owned.

I'll admit I shifted them to a more prominent placing within the display and then bought some Monster Munch

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

stevebirt wrote:You should have come a bit further to Croydon Nick as suggested. Was in there again Saturday morning and still had a supply of Paul Merton and also Barker. I bought a copy of Merton for you if you still want it and have no success elsewhere, otherwise will keep in my collection. Can collect Barker tonight if they still have supplies. Croydon had supplies of others as of Saturday.
Croydon is outside my Oyster card zones, and would require quite a time-consuming trek, either way. I work in Colindale, so may try the Edgware store, although that depends on what Mrs 625 turns up at Stratford tonight.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

DuncanS wrote:
Private Frazer wrote:
Work in Stirling so nipped into the one there at lunchtime yesterday as The Goodies is the one I want and they had Spitting Image and Paul Merton but nowt else, the ones they had were in amongst the rest of the DVD range, the majority of which were pre-owned.

I'll admit I shifted them to a more prominent placing within the display and then bought some Monster Munch
Edinburgh on Saturday (St. James Centre) had only a few Network ones left in amongst other DVD's. Dundee (Wellgate) today had a Network Comedy stand with most of them at the entrance. Both had no 'Goodies', but the store locator tells me there are four more stores nearby, if I happen to be there.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

Poundland in Wednesbury (a real wretched hive of sum and villainy) has almost everything in abundance but no copies of Dawson’s Weekly, sadly.

Bought the Ronnie Barker and Paul Merton discs as anything else I’d either got or didn’t float my boat.

Might pop back for a few Goodies discs as stocking fillers, though…said Scrooge…
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

I saw a copy of the Poundland Six Dates With Barker @ CEX today.They offer 50p cash money to anyone who fancies making a killing by taking lots in!

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Full set at Dartford's Poundland yesterday.

BobDylan'sGrandmother
405 lines

JWG wrote:I saw a copy of the Poundland Six Dates With Barker @ CEX today.They offer 50p cash money to anyone who fancies making a killing by taking lots in!
I've seen them selling these very same Network re-release editions, in a couple of branches now and for up to £6 too (!)

Managed to pick up the two Spitting Image locally yesterday, at the Beaumont Leys shopping centre Poundland - they had most of these titles and to a shelf of their own, although Carrott was again absent.