PR: Quatermass [Network]

What's not currently on the box
Mr_Wolf
Potentate in Perpetuity

PR: Quatermass [Network]

Post by Mr_Wolf »

Image Image

John Mills brings a stoic intensity to the role of Professor Bernard Quatermass in this key piece of British dystopian fiction from visionary writer Nigel Kneale. Unsettling in its vision of a crumbling society coming under alien attack, Quatermass is directed with characteristic style by BAFTA winner Piers Haggard and features the high production values associated with Euston Films. Shot on 35mm, the original negatives have been used for this stunning, brand-new High Definition restoration – a new 5.1 mix from original triple-track audio elements is also presented here alongside the original mono soundtrack.

Bernard Quatermass, former head of the British Rocket Group, lives in seclusion in western Scotland, watching in appalled silence as Britain slowly turns into a vision of violence, gang rule and governmental collapse. A desperate search for his missing granddaughter plunges him into a terrifying situation when he comes to realise that the mass disappearance of thousands of youths is nothing less than the culling of the human species by an unknown alien intelligence...

Special Features:
[] Brand-new 5.1 mix for episodic version
[] Brand-new HD restoration of The Quatermass Conclusion in its original theatrical aspect ratio
[] Music-only tracks for all four episodes
[] Episode recaps
[] Textless titles
[] Image Gallery
[] Booklet by archive TV historian Andrew Pixley

Quatermass

A Limited Edition first run of this Blu-ray will be available in four different coloured sleeves, based on the title colour scheme of each episode. THESE SLEEVES ARE FULFILLED RANDOMLY AND SPECIFIC COLOURS ARE NOT ABLE TO BE ORDERED. Once the Limited Edition sleeves have sold out, the cover design will revert to a standard cover which matches the accompanying DVD release.

Stop quoting the law. We have swords.

John Williams
625 lines

Re: PR: Quatermass [Network]

Post by John Williams »

Great news!

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

Just over a month to wait... not bad!

It'll be interesting to see it again after all these years.

The Lurker In The Shadows
405 lines

Post by The Lurker In The Shadows »

Looking forward to upgrading from the old DVDs (which, in turn, were a huge improvement on the 'straining to the point of a headache trying to hear the dialogue' double VHS set), which are probably on their last legs anyway. And an Andrew Pixley booklet is always a welcome treat.

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Post by Paul Hayes »

Looking forward to it - by no means my favourite Quatermass serial, but nice to have.

I haven't watched it for some years, so it'll be interesting to reappraise it. My previous copy is a VHS version now in my parents' attic, sourced from someone else's ancient copy of the 1980s repeat!

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

Apparently made on 35mm I don't recall it looking that good in 1979.
Home video versions all seem to have come from 16mm sources so the Bluray of this should be as eye opening as The Professionals.

If a particular colour of cover is of interest to anyone the fact you can't select the one you want makes the whole exercise seem a bit pointless.

Alice80
405 lines

Post by Alice80 »

Ahhhhh, finally!

Can't wait for this...another grail coming home! And a booklet by Andrew is just the cherry on the cake!

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

thebeekeeper wrote:Apparently made on 35mm I don't recall it looking that good in 1979.
If a particular colour of cover is of interest to anyone the fact you can't select the one you want makes the whole exercise seem a bit pointless.
Presumably it will also be available... from shops.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

Simon Coward wrote:
thebeekeeper wrote:Apparently made on 35mm I don't recall it looking that good in 1979.
Probably - just like all the previous Network Limited Editions have been.
On the off chance that you can find a shop that stocks this kind of title on Bluray the chances of them having many copies seems remote, and that's ignoring the fact that Network Limited Editions have always previously been available only from their website

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

Really looking forward to this. And I also don't see the point of the limited edition colours.
Great News Inside, Chums!

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote:Really looking forward to this. And I also don't see the point of the limited edition colours.
I could understand a ROYGBIV set if it was Rainbow.

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

Simon Coward wrote:
Shops? What are they? :-)

lovecraft
625 lines

Post by lovecraft »

ROYGBIV.....que?

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

lovecraft wrote:ROYGBIV.....que?
Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo Violet, like the rainbow.
Great News Inside, Chums!

doubleM
625 lines

Post by doubleM »

Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote:
lovecraft wrote:ROYGBIV.....que?
Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo Violet, like the rainbow.
Yep ... colours of the rainbow remembered by the mnemonic "Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain"
A THRILLER in Every Corner 700+ pages on the Brian Clemens 1970s suspense anthology
https://www.lulu.com/en/gb/shop/martin- ... qd6n5.html

Check out the top of page banner for valid discount codes.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

I thought it was a reference to King Roy the Third of Great Britain.

lovecraft
625 lines

Post by lovecraft »

Gracias!

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

Via e-mail from Network:
Quatermass - Available to Pre-Buy!

Nigel Kneale's Quatermass is coming soon and needless to say the reaction to our announcement has been nothing short of incredible.

So, we've decided to give you the chance to pre-buy Quatermass on Blu-ray and DVD! This key piece of British dystopian science fiction starring Sir John Mills has stayed ingrained in the minds of many for its innovative and radical story, scaring and shocking audiences upon its first viewing.

The Blu-ray is available to pre-buy for £17 and the DVD for £12 – currently the best prices anywhere. Terms and conditions apply.

Pre-buy now!

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

The book was great, the TV series less so, although still better than a lot of the TV at the time. Good news that it's getting a spring clean though.

boblet
405 lines

Post by boblet »

doubleM wrote:Yep ... colours of the rainbow remembered by the mnemonic "Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain"
And a vital clue in the resolution of the Drogna Game...

Westengland
625 lines

Post by Westengland »

Today, on the sixty-second anniversary of its first broadcast, BBC Genome are flagging up:
The Quatermass Experiment
Expect trouble if you know more than they do.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Richard A wrote:Via e-mail from Network:
Quatermass - Available to Pre-Buy!

Nigel Kneale's Quatermass is coming soon and needless to say the reaction to our announcement has been nothing short of incredible.

So, we've decided to give you the chance to pre-buy Quatermass on Blu-ray and DVD! This key piece of British dystopian science fiction starring Sir John Mills has stayed ingrained in the minds of many for its innovative and radical story, scaring and shocking audiences upon its first viewing.

The Blu-ray is available to pre-buy for £17 and the DVD for £12 – currently the best prices anywhere. Terms and conditions apply.

Pre-buy now!
Well, I've ordered it. Great to see that Network have started to experiment with the idea of pre-ordering. They've lost sales by not having had it in the past. Loads of Mr Wolf's Previews would have resulted in a pre-order click at the full release price had the function been available.

I don't know about the different coloured sleeves. I suppose 'swaps' could be arranged, like cigarette cards. Perhaps some colours will be scarce. I might be able to sell it on, if it really is as shite as I remember it!

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Even if Network have to take the money there and then, they could do worse than allow pre-orders the previous Monday and then post them out Friday to arrive release day.

There are people on Roobarbs who order Network stuff at a higher price on Amazon purely because they want to preorder and get it a day or two earlier. Seems a waste of money to me, but there it is.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

With dwell times sometimes measured in months, I think Network lose the sale outright, simply because of the number of 'impulse buys' they cannot process. I can tell you this from my own experience. If Mr.W only reported new releases when they actually became available, I would have a more extensive film library.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Just got back from a week in Malta (hot!) to find my copy of the Quatermass BD. Andrew Pixley's booklet is, as ever, an excellent piece of work, but I don't think it can be said to be 100% the case that "the only variant material between the two versions" is the hospital sequence in #3 (page 23). If one compares Quatermass's encounter with the Pay Cops at Wembley at the start of #4, there are some significant differences to the feature version.

In Conclusion the shot down the tunnel of the approaching Pay Cops is much wider than in #4, showing more of the tunnel arch, and at any given point the actors never line up the same way, so clearly these are alternate takes. Similarly the Lieutenant stops and threatens Quatermass with the penalty for looting much further back from the camera in #4 than in Conclusion.

Another very obvious difference is that there are two Pay Cops standing behind Quatermass when he offers the Lieutenant his papers in #4, but in Conclusion there is nobody behind him. The Lieutenant is also somewhat less aggressive in the Conclusion when returning the wallet. From Quatermass first appearing from the car park, this part of the sequence is only composed of five fairly sustained shots, but the episodic version has around 15, with much cutting between the characters.

In #4, when the Lieutenant follows Quatermass up the ramp, there is a cut to dust falling immediately on him, prompting him to remove his helmet. In Conclusion there is more of the pan following the Lieutenant as he walks into shot before the dust actually falls on him.

I've always meant to methodically go through both versions, as I suspect that this isn't the only place where different takes were used. Certainly it suggests that there was something more complex going on than simply trimming the "excess" material from the episodic version - and a bit of alternate dubbing - to make the feature.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Hi Nick :)
Nick Cooper 625 wrote:Just got back from a week in Malta (hot!) to find my copy of the Quatermass BD. Andrew Pixley's booklet is, as ever, an excellent piece of work, but I don't think it can be said to be 100% the case that "the only variant material between the two versions" is the hospital sequence in #3 (page 23). If one compares Quatermass's encounter with the Pay Cops at Wembley at the start of #4, there are some significant differences to the feature version.

In Conclusion the shot down the tunnel of the approaching Pay Cops is much wider than in #4, showing more of the tunnel arch, and at any given point the actors never line up the same way, so clearly these are alternate takes. Similarly the Lieutenant stops and threatens Quatermass with the penalty for looting much further back from the camera in #4 than in Conclusion.

Another very obvious difference is that there are two Pay Cops standing behind Quatermass when he offers the Lieutenant his papers in #4, but in Conclusion there is nobody behind him. The Lieutenant is also somewhat less aggressive in the Conclusion when returning the wallet. From Quatermass first appearing from the car park, this part of the sequence is only composed of five fairly sustained shots, but the episodic version has around 15, with much cutting between the characters.

In #4, when the Lieutenant follows Quatermass up the ramp, there is a cut to dust falling immediately on him, prompting him to remove his helmet. In Conclusion there is more of the pan following the Lieutenant as he walks into shot _before_ the dust actually falls on him.

I've always meant to methodically go through both versions, as I suspect that this isn't the only place where different takes were used. Certainly it suggests that there was something more complex going on than simply trimming the "excess" material from the episodic version - and a bit of alternate dubbing - to make the feature.
Oh wonderful. I have to admit, thinking back to 2007 when I was writing the notes I was only looking for scenes with different scripted content rather than different editing or takes (which, as I recall, came down to different versions of the hospital scene - one with Quatermass and one without). So far I've only had the chance to watch the first two chapters of the serial (which I'm loving every bit as much as I did back in 1979) ... but I'm looking forward to seeing all the differences like this when I get onto "The Quatermass Conclusion" as well! :)

All the best

Andrew

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

AndrewP wrote:Hi Nick :)
Nick Cooper 625 wrote:Just got back from a week in Malta (hot!) to find my copy of the Quatermass BD. Andrew Pixley's booklet is, as ever, an excellent piece of work, but I don't think it can be said to be 100% the case that "the only variant material between the two versions" is the hospital sequence in #3 (page 23). If one compares Quatermass's encounter with the Pay Cops at Wembley at the start of #4, there are some significant differences to the feature version.

In #4, when the Lieutenant follows Quatermass up the ramp, there is a cut to dust falling immediately on him, prompting him to remove his helmet. In Conclusion there is more of the pan following the Lieutenant as he walks into shot before the dust actually falls on him.

Oh wonderful. I have to admit, thinking back to 2007 when I was writing the notes I was only looking for scenes with different scripted content rather than different editing or takes (which, as I recall, came down to different versions of the hospital scene - one with Quatermass and one without). So far I've only had the chance to watch the first two chapters of the serial (which I'm loving every bit as much as I did back in 1979) ... but I'm looking forward to seeing all the differences like this when I get onto "The Quatermass Conclusion" as well! :)
It's occurred to me that there might be other instances like the extended "falling dust" shot in Conclusion if the latter was mostly derived from episodes that were subsequently trimmed, even a little. To be honest, I think one would need to play time-coded copies of each version side-by-side and spreadsheet the duration of every single shot to find if there are any other examples (pretty much what I had to do for the Things to Come DVD, in fact)!

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:It's occurred to me that there might be other instances like the extended "falling dust" shot in Conclusion if the latter was mostly derived from episodes that were subsequently trimmed, even a little. To be honest, I think one would need to play time-coded copies of each version side-by-side and spreadsheet the duration of every single shot to find if there are any other examples (pretty much what I had to do for the Things to Come DVD, in fact)!
You know Nick, I recall Steve Rogers telling me a few weeks back about some different shots or edits used in the second installment for Annie's arrival at the Kapps' place.

Yes - a side-by-side would be terrific. I remember doing it back in the 1990s for the VHS release of "Quatermass and the Pit" - fascinating exercise!

You've got me even more intrigued now! :)

All the best

Andrew

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

AndrewP wrote:You know Nick, I recall Steve Rogers telling me a few weeks back about some different shots or edits used in the second installment for Annie's arrival at the Kapps' place.
Just had a quick look at the scene of Annie's arrival, and yep, there is a different take there. After the low angle shot of the Land Rover pulling up and her getting out, in Conclusion there's a single shot lasting around 17 seconds in which Annie talks to Kapp, ending with her handing over the satellite co-ordinates, followed by a cutaway of one of the RT dishes. In the episodic version, the sequence is much longer, with her more frantically talking about the Planet People on the Road, etc., during which the Kapp children come out of the shack and she goes over to talk to them. It's also only after she is introduced to Quatermass that she gives Kapp the co-ordinates.