The Man From UNCLE Season 1 [Warner]

What's not currently on the box
goldencondor
405 lines

The Man From UNCLE Season 1 [Warner]

Post by goldencondor »

No thread for this, so I'm starting one.

We are FINALLY getting this series released on Region 2. I've been waiting for fifteen years!

As a child I used to watch this in the early 1990s on BBC2's Friday night 'cult zone'. When I heard about the Region 1 'briefcase' set in America, I assumed a UK release would follow in short order. But nothing happened. Until now. Presumably we can put this down to the upcoming Hollywood film, which I hope is a success, if only to encourage Warner to release the other three seasons on DVD! And, dare I say it - The Girl From UNCLE!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00VFZU95U/

Mickey
625 lines

Re: The Man From UNCLE Season 1 [Warner]

Post by Mickey »

That's terrific news! I loved the colour episodes growing up, and have always wanted to see the black and white ones. The complete set was way too expensive for me! I shall look forward to finally getting to see the rest of the series. The few that I have seen are very good. My favourite is "The Gazebo In The Maze Affair", which is a charmingly macabre adventure guest-starring George Sanders.

*gleeful hand-rubbing in time-honoured evil genius fashion*

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

Yes,the episodes have been going through the BBFC over the last few days.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

Presumably they're going for this to tie in with the new film version but that ain't no bad thing. It was all doom and gloom a few years ago on prospects for this season 1 release as I recall.

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

Why wait for a decade for a Region 2 release? The US boxset from Warner has always been coded for R2 aswell as R1 anyway.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

The first season was the best. It almost had a very serious 1950s cold war feel to it. As soon as we got season 2 the whole tone of the series had changed from the music to the tone of the stories, gone were the ultra serious stories and instead we got light hearted camp...I.E. Dorothy Provine's goofy Doris Dayish portrayal as Alexander's wife in the 2nd season premiere. While I will enjoy all 4 seasons for their own merits, the first will always be classic UNCLE to me.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

This is one of the few US series I am interested in getting on DVD, I only have the Movie compilations box set.

About time there was a r2 release, didn't know the US boxset was dual region.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

Mark wrote:This is one of the few US series I am interested in getting on DVD, I only have the Movie compilations box set.

About time there was a r2 release, didn't know the US boxset was dual region.
The UK movie set only has 5 of the 8 movies . The US set has all 8 but is an over priced Warner Archive release.
The US series boxset includes just one of the movies but its one of those on the UK set.

Just this last week or two TCM have shown several of the Uncle movies including 2 of the 3 that collectors need , although the missing one is To Trap a Spy , largely based on the pilot - this was shown on C5 a few years back.

The US set is coded for R2 - if you play it on a R2 locked player you get Japanese warnings at the start as Japan is R2.
The set has lots of bonuses that make it worth buying

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, it was very frustrating that the UK move set wasn't all of them, and I must admit the extras on the US series Boxset are very tempting.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

goldencondor
405 lines

Post by goldencondor »

While I have seen most of the colour episodes from the time they were shown on BBC2 in the 90s, I haven't seen most of S1, which is all B+W. The only way of doing so was to buy the videos that came out with 2 episodes per tape. These included 'The Project Strigas Affair' (with Shatner and Nimoy pre-Trek), The Never Never Affair (with Barbara Feldon from Get Smart) and The Gazebo in the Maze Affair (with George Sanders).

BBC2 presumably declined to show the B+W episodes for obvious reasons, but they did show the B+W Doctor Whos at the time!

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Post by Paul Hayes »

goldencondor wrote:As a child I used to watch this in the early 1990s on BBC2's Friday night 'cult zone'.
Me too! Stingray, followed by Uncle, capped off with Doctor Who, as I recall. Great stuff!

I have odd bits of the very end of episodes burned into my brain from my "Genesis of the Daleks" off-air recording which I rewatched again and again for many years afterwards. One where a female adversary of some sort takes an amnesia pill and only remembers who she and Solo are at the end, possibly in a place called Nowhere, sticks strongly in the memory for some reason.

billo
405 lines

Post by billo »

The first season was screened on BBC in the sixties but as far as I know has never been repeated in the UK since due to it not being in colour....

By far the strongest most serious season of the show (it's style copied somewhat in it's final fourth half season), this first season is The Man From UNCLE as it's 'creator' (Developer) producer Sam Rolfe envisaged the show - action/adventure with a touch of humour....unlike the lighter tone of season two, the silly camp comedy of half of season three....

final producer Anthony Spinner made a valiant attempt to get back to Sam Rolfe's ideas in season four but by then the damage was done and the show was axed mid season despite picking up again...

season one features Jerry Goldsmith's great trumpet led theme tune and the 'freezing picture' closing credits sequences

'The Vulcan Affair' pilot is in b/w here but was filmed in colour - footage filmed in colour for 'The Four Steps Affair' was added to make the first UNCLE film; 'To Trap A Spy' - with Will Kuluva in place of Leo G.Carroll

'The Double Affair' also in b/w here was filmed in colour and with extra footage became the second UNCLE film; 'The Spy With My Face' - in 1966 the UNCLE films outgrossed the Bond film at the UK box office...

three episodes don't feature Illya at all - 'Iowa Scuba Affair', 'The Dove Affair' and one other, while he's a briefly seen bit player in a couple more like 'The Neptune Affair', tho' the rest are proper co-leads between Solo and illya - illya has one episode that mostly featured him - 'The Bow Wow Affair'

'The Mad Mad Tea Party Affair' was written with virtually no budget but is nevertheless quite a fascinating episode taking place 75% within UNCLE headquarters

A 13 year old Kurt Russell assists Solo in 'The Finny Foot Affair'

Not all episodes feature THRUSH as the opponents in this first season

A couple of episodes clearly anticipate the style of the forthcoming 'Mission: Impossible' - where Solo puts together a small team to thwart THRUSH and make the chief villian look completey silly, with Solo using a female team member plus illya as his 'white knight' - indeed 'The Project Strigas Affair with guests William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy is one such episode - while another even has incidental music by Lalo Schifrin !
Bruce Geller must have seen these episodes as they are a 'dry run' for his 'Mission: Impossible' show that debuted the following year in 1966....

Leo G.Carroll is absent from about five episodes due to illness but he soon recovered (episodes filmed minus Mr. Waverly are dispersed across the season)

the first six episodes feature the 'talking' intro where Solo, illya, and Mr.Waverly all introduce themselves

then the famous 'bullet proof glass' intro features for the rest of season one

look out for the sadly ill fated but stunningly Beautiful Sharon Tate in 'The Girls of Nazerone Affair'

note the poisoned umbrella tip used on illya in 'Gazebo in The Maze Affair' accurately predicts the 1976 umbrella murder in London of a Bulgarian dissident by the KGB.... (who obviously had watched 'The Man From UNCLE' back in 1964-65 !)

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

Actually a few years before BBC2 showed most of the colour episodes Bravo showed 26 episodes from the first series while they were still a cable only channel.
Unfortunately Bravo just bought a package of 26 seemingly unaware that just 3 more would have allowed them to show the first season complete.

The pilot for the show is actually called SOLO and lasts around 70 minutes and is included on the US boxset.
The additional footage later included in the Four Steps Affair was added to make To Trap A Spy feature length , while SOLO was edited down to make The Vulcan Affair

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

goldencondor wrote:While I have seen most of the colour episodes from the time they were shown on BBC2 in the 90s, I haven't seen most of S1, which is all B+W. The only way of doing so was to buy the videos that came out with 2 episodes per tape. These included 'The Project Strigas Affair' (with Shatner and Nimoy pre-Trek), The Never Never Affair (with Barbara Feldon from Get Smart) and The Gazebo in the Maze Affair (with George Sanders).

BBC2 presumably declined to show the B+W episodes for obvious reasons, but they did show the B+W Doctor Whos at the time!
BBC2 made several attempts to revive classic Who repeats but unfortunately they all bombed.
Even their intended repeat of colour shows from the Pertwee era was curtailed due to poor ratings.

You needed a friend with cable to get access to 26 of the B&W Uncle episodes although I don't recall if the Bravo repeats came before or after the VHS releases.

goldencondor
405 lines

Post by goldencondor »

From TVshowsondvd.com:

DISC ONE
1. The Vulcan Affair
2. The Iowa-Scuba Affair
3. The Quadripartite Affair

DISC TWO
4. The Shark Affair
5. The Deadly Games Affair
6. The Green Opal Affair

DISC THREE
7. The Giuoco Piano Affair
8. The Double Affair
9. The Project Strigas Affair

DISC FOUR
10. The Finny Foot Affair
11. The Neptune Affair
12. The Dove Affair

DISC FIVE
13. The King of Knaves Affair
14. The Terbuf Affair
15. The Deadly Decoy Affair

DISC SIX
16. The Fiddlesticks Affair
17. The Yellow Scarf Affair
18. The Mad, Mad Tea Party Affair

DISC SEVEN
19. The Secret Sceptre Affair
20. The Bow-Wow Affair
21. The Four-Steps Affair

DISC EIGHT
22. The See-Paris-And-Die Affair
23. The Brain-Killer Affair
24. The Hong Kong Shilling Affair

DISC NINE
25. The Never-Never Affair
26. The Love Affair
27. The Gazebo in the Maze Affair

DISC TEN
28. The Girls of Nazarene Affair
29. The Odd Man Affair

Gareth
405 lines

Post by Gareth »

thebeekeeper wrote:Actually a few years before BBC2 showed most of the colour episodes Bravo showed 26 episodes from the first series while they were still a cable only channel.
Unfortunately Bravo just bought a package of 26 seemingly unaware that just 3 more would have allowed them to show the first season complete.

The pilot for the show is actually called SOLO and lasts around 70 minutes and is included on the US boxset.
The additional footage later included in the Four Steps Affair was added to make To Trap A Spy feature length , while SOLO was edited down to make The Vulcan Affair
IIRC episodes which were re-edited into the UNCLE feature films weren't offered for sale to overseas markets (perhaps even domestic reruns too?). The rarely seen Season 1 would therefore lose three episodes, while the subsequent seasons would lose four apiece. The practice still seemed in place as recently as the 1990s BBC2 run, so I expect BRAVO was similarly affected. No idea whether this still happens today, but fortunately its not happened with the dvd sets.

thebeekeeper
625 lines

Post by thebeekeeper »

Gareth wrote:
thebeekeeper wrote:Actually a few years before BBC2 showed most of the colour episodes Bravo showed 26 episodes from the first series while they were still a cable only channel.

IIRC episodes which were re-edited into the UNCLE feature films weren't offered for sale to overseas markets (perhaps even domestic reruns too?). The rarely seen Season 1 would therefore lose three episodes, while the subsequent seasons would lose four apiece. The practice still seemed in place as recently as the 1990s BBC2 run, so I expect BRAVO was similarly affected. No idea whether this still happens today, but fortunately its not happened with the dvd sets.
It did apply to the BBC2 run but it didn't apply to the Bravo run where all the episodes that were part of the movies were aired.
The Vulcan Affair , Four Steps Affair and The Double Affair were all shown.
I'm pretty certain that Bravo followed the order of the discs and The Gazebo In the Maze Affair should have been aired next but it never was.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

The films, when shown on Granada in the early 70s, were when I started to catch up with Uncle, though I'd seen odd episodes before that. In the 60s I was a bit too young to stay up to watch it even though I was aware of it (partly through toys, annuals etc).

I wouldn't mind if they kept the eight films separate from the series release and sold them as a different package. Either way, I'm looking forward to the Series 1 release, and presumably the rest. Wary of the Guy Richie film coming out though, mainly because I'm wary of Guy Richie films.

Someone gave me Robert Vaughn's autobiog. Although what there is of it is a decent read, there are some bizarre omissions. Not a mention of his Emmy-award winning performance in Washington: Behind Closed Doors, even though he mentions co-star Jason Robards regarding several other projects or instances in his life.

Similarly, no mention of his two Columbo episodes (one directed by Patrick McGoohan no less) either.

goldencondor
405 lines

Post by goldencondor »

Bit mystified as to why episodes 9, 25 and 27 haven't been passed by the BBFC yet. The other 26 episodes from Season 1 are all listed.

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

There’s no THRUSH in the new movie. Apparently Guy Ritchie thinks that modern audiences might not take an organisation named that seriously.

That’s what he thinks.

Because…well…obviously, we’re all about 13, aren’t we?
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

Did the yeast infection not exist in 1964?!

The TV show has managed to survive fifty years with the occasional giggle. I'm sure a movie can manage.

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

I wrote a superhero-based play for a youth theatre a couple of years back with an evil organisation called Associated Ranks of Super Evil….purely for the joke where they unveil a banner showing the acronym above the main villain’s head.

Yes, I can be pretty juvenile too. :o)
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

This thread has answered some questions for me. I loved Man from UNCLE as a boy in the 60s. Years later, probably in the 80s, I saw a couple of repeats and thought they were unbelievably naff. I know tastes change with age but I couldn't believe this was the show I held in such high regard,
Now, reading the above, it's obviously the "good" first black and white series I remember so fondly (I definitely recall the bizarre one set in UNCLE HQ) and one of the poorer later series I found unwatchable.

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

In the interests of fairness, there were good episodes in all the seasons. It's just that the balance of good and extraordinarily bad judgment was a little off later on, particularly in season three.

Kieran Seymour
405 lines

Post by Kieran Seymour »

goldencondor wrote:Bit mystified as to why episodes 9, 25 and 27 haven't been passed by the BBFC yet. The other 26 episodes from Season 1 are all listed.
Those three went through the BBFC back in the early 90s when the handful of UK videos were released.

goldencondor
405 lines

Post by goldencondor »

Kieran Seymour wrote:
goldencondor wrote:Bit mystified as to why episodes 9, 25 and 27 haven't been passed by the BBFC yet. The other 26 episodes from Season 1 are all listed.
Those three went through the BBFC back in the early 90s when the handful of UK videos were released.
*slaps head* Good point.