ATV - What's left to release?

What's not currently on the box
MDK
405 lines

ATV - What's left to release?

Post by MDK »

Dire though their archive is, there are still a few complete or near complete Drama and Sitcom series that could be released on DVD:

The remaining runs of General Hospital; Crossroads 79-81; A Sharp Intake of Breath; Astronauts; Till Death.

Any others?

Ross
D-MAC

Re: ATV - What's left to release?

Post by Ross »

I wouldn't mind the Sunday kids classic serials Vice Versa starring Peter Bowles, and The Further Adventures of Oliver Twist.

Also (presuming they exist):

Wolcott
Why Can't I Go Home?
Honky Tonk Heroes
Parables
Personal Report
Dave Allen and Friends
The Cedar Tree
Golden Hill
The Kids From 47a

There are also many one-off documentaries (eg. Dave Allen in the Enchanted Garden; Great Expectations; Memories of Violence; Breaking Point) and several plays (Are You Stone Cold, Santa Claus; Milk-O) that I'd like to see.

The Mighty Micro from 1980 would make for fascinating viewing, but I'm not sure it'd sell that well. I suppose Rockstage, Revolver, Oh Boy and Let's Rock are out of the question due to the expense of music clearance.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Ross wrote: The Mighty Micro from 1980 would make for fascinating viewing
It was actually released on VHS in the pre-VRA days. I watched it recently, and it really is wonderfully dated stuff (in the best possible way) - the "dramatisation" of how voting at elections might be carried out using your home computer terminal is hilarious ("Sector 12 is voting next, that's us").

Mothy
405 lines

Post by Mothy »

Ross wrote:I wouldn't mind the Sunday kids classic serials Vice Versa starring Peter Bowles
It was actually originally shown on Tuesdays in 1981, although the repeat of it in 1982 was on Sundays.

Jezza
625 lines

Post by Jezza »

Come Back Lucy

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

MDK wrote:Dire though their archive is, there are still a few complete or near complete Drama and Sitcom series that could be released on DVD:

The remaining runs of General Hospital; Crossroads 79-81; A Sharp Intake of Breath; Astronauts; Till Death.

Any others?
The Garden/Oddie 'Astronauts' was recently released by Network,after a bit of a delay.
It'd be nice to think that there's more chance of 'A Sharp Intake' being released,following the very recent discovery of the pilot-one of the series 'The Sounds of Laughter'.A friend's told me that one or two cast members might not be keen on the show being released.Anyone know for sure?

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

MDK wrote:Dire though their archive is...
But it isn't though - certainly in comparion with AR or ABC. There may be notable absences, or stuff that doesn't survive in it's original format, but the "nothing's left" of popular imagining is far from the truth. "Patchy" would be nearer the mark.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

JWG wrote: It'd be nice to think that there's more chance of 'A Sharp Intake' being released,following the very recent discovery of the pilot-one of the series 'The Sounds of Laughter'.A friend's told me that one or two cast members might not be keen on the show being released.Anyone know for sure?
I believe it's one of several of David Jason's early shows that he's actually blocked from release - others including Lucky Feller and The Top Secret Life Of Edgar Briggs.

manticore
405 lines

Post by manticore »

Juswuh wrote:
JWG wrote: It'd be nice to think that there's more chance of 'A Sharp Intake' being released,following the very recent discovery of the pilot-one of the series 'The Sounds of Laughter'.A friend's told me that one or two cast members might not be keen on the show being released.Anyone know for sure?
I believe it's one of several of David Jason's early shows that he's actually blocked from release - others including Lucky Feller and The Top Secret Life Of Edgar Briggs.
why would he want them blocked? never seen lucky feller and edgar briggs,but i remember sharp intake well and it was very funny.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

Beats me! I'd like to see Lucky Feller again.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Came up with these. There's bound to be a few in here which have been released and I've just forgotten about.

Drama Series, Serials and Plays

ABC Playhouse
Against The Crowd
The Cedar Tree
Crimebuster
Deadline Midnight
Diamonds
Doctors' Daughters
Drama '61 / '62 / '63 / '64 / '67
Epilogue to Capricorn
Five Names for Johnny
For Maddie With Love
The Foundation
Four Triumphant
Front Page Story
The Gentle Killers
Golden Drama
Happy Ever After [no, not that one!]
Harpers West One
Heartland
Honky Tonk Heroes
Knock On Any Door
The Law Centre
Love Story
The Man From Haven
The Man Who Finally Died
Market in Honey Lane
The Misfit
Motive for Murder
No Man's Island
Probation Officer
The Sullavan Brothers
Studio '64
Suspicion
Theatre '70
Theatre Royal
Tropic
The Voodoo Factor
Web
West End Tales
Who-Dun-It
Wolcott

plus entries for Play of the Week, Playhouse, Saturday/Sunday Night Theatre, Television Playhouse etc

Childrens

Come Back Lucy
Echoes of Louisa
Formula for Danger
The Further Adventures of Oliver Twist
The Kids from 47A
Mask of the Clown
Mill of Secrets
Once Aboard The Lugger
Secret of the Nubian Tomb
The Siege of Golden Hill
Strange Concealments
A Suggestion of Sabotage
Vice Versa
Why Can't I Go Home?

Sitcom and Sketch Shows

Alexander The Greatest
The Best Things In Life
Bonkers
Cilla's Comedy Six
Cilla's World of Comedy
Copper's End
Fire Crackers
Girls About Town
Girl Talk
Hancock
If The Crown Fits
Kopykats
The Marty Feldman Comedy Machine
Milligan's Wake
My Good Woman
Roots
Sam and Janet
A Sharp Intake of Breath
A Soft Touch
The Sound of Laughter
Sounding Brass
The Squirrels
Up The Workers
Who Is Sylvia?

Obviously, on top of all this there are a huge number of various kinds of light entertainment series and specials.

I know a few of these may have been announced and/or turned up as a future release on Amazon. Also, not all of these series are believed to be complete, but in each case there should be enough for a release of some kind.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

manticore wrote:
Juswuh wrote:
JWG wrote: I believe it's one of several of David Jason's early shows that he's actually blocked from release - others including Lucky Feller and The Top Secret Life Of Edgar Briggs.
why would he want them blocked?
He's notorious for exercising his right of veto to keep programmes he's not proud of from being repeated or released. As to why he's not proud of them - you'd have to ask him. ISTR reading once that the reason for the suppression of Edgar Briggs was that he simply wasn't happy with his performance in it, and that likely holds true for the others too.

IIRC, a VHS release of A Sharp Intake of Breath got most of the way through production - to the point of promotional copies being made - until Jason (reputedly) had it canned shortly before they started the mass duplication run. Some of those promotional tapes escaped and are now collectors' items.

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

On the other hand,it seems that there have been repeats of the show,meaning-I'm told-that he hasn't vetoed them?

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Surely Equity members aren't allowed to veto and deprive other members of income.

PS. Pity he doesn't veto Only Fools and Horses.

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

Ross wrote:Surely Equity members aren't allowed to veto and deprive other members of income.

PS. Pity he doesn't veto Only Fools and Horses.
I think it depends upon their contract but main characters can have a veto. Didn't Martin Shaw exercise his veto on "The Professionals" being shown on ITV for a number of years? Much to Lewis Collins' annoyance by some accounts because now the main network (where the serious repeat fees exist) isn't interested and it's just looped on ITV4. I might just be repeating urban myth though.....

I wouldn't personally regard any of David Jason's performances as anything to be "happy with" or proud of. For my money he's another of those curious TV personalities where their apparent popularity is absolutely no measure of quality.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

JWG wrote:On the other hand,it seems that there have been repeats of the show,meaning-I'm told-that he hasn't vetoed them?
Has ASIOB been repeated anywhere *recently*? Quite possibly it was repeated within a year or two of its original transmission, as per the contract Jason will have signed, but the only episodes that seem to be "in the wild" at the moment are either original off-airs or dubs of the promotional VHS release, and they're all of pretty dire technical quality.

Cheeseford
Committee

Post by Cheeseford »

GarethR wrote: IIRC, a VHS release of A Sharp Intake of Breath got most of the way through production - to the point of promotional copies being made - until Jason (reputedly) had it canned shortly before they started the mass duplication run. Some of those promotional tapes escaped and are now collectors' items.
I wouldn't be surprised if his reason for nixing any release of A Sharp Intake of Breath is the fact that he's acted out of the studio and most of the way down Shenley Road towards Elstree and Borehamwood station by Richard Wilson and Alun Armstrong. They own that series. He's just there, really. There in a good way, but he's not really the star of his own show.
The Trials and Triumphs of Les Dawson and Britain's Greatest TV Comedy Moments - available at some indifferent bookshops.

VintageFan
405 lines

Post by VintageFan »

"The Cedar Tree" and "The Kids From 47a" are at the top of my DVD wishlist. They would seem to be likely candidates for a Network release- indeed the first episode of each has been released on the "SoapBox" and "Look Back..." volumes.

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

Rapidly back-peddling,I hope that he might reconsider any decision he might have made years ago.
I notice that A Certain Site has the video of 'Sharp Intake' listed.but 'Currently unavailable'.It has an ISN number.Is it a third-party attempt to pass-off,or a pre-order listing.(I'm sure it'll be obvious to everyone else at first glance).

Apologies,I should have checked at the BBFC where 6 episodes were passed for release in 1991: http://www.bbfc.co.uk/search/releases/s ... f%2Bbreath

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

JWG wrote:I hope that he might reconsider any decision he might have made years ago
Given his form, you'll be waiting until he's dead - and then hoping that he hasn't inserted anything into his will to prevent his early work being released (if that's even possible).

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

VintageFan wrote:"The Cedar Tree" and "The Kids From 47a" are at the top of my DVD wishlist. They would seem to be likely candidates for a Network release- indeed the first episode of each has been released on the "SoapBox" and "Look Back..." volumes.
While there are plenty on the ATV list that I posted which I'd buy if they were released, I'd have to say that Mask of the Clown, Who is Sylvia? and The Misfit are right up there at the top of my general DVD wishlist.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

ATV was a prominent producers of schools programmes, so there's a lot to be tapped there, were anybody minded to release schools programmes. I'm still slightly puzzled as to why nobody has; if Network can consider obscurities like Lollipop Loves Mrs. Mole to be viable, why not widely-remembered schools stuff?

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

Yes, a release of Schools and Colleges stuff would be brilliant. It could be a Smörgåsbord of different things. Mathematics, Science, English, History etc. Pick the cream of noteworthy/excellent titles and put then together on an "Independent Television for Schools and Colleges" volume. The "play all" option of the main menu could put a slide and clock junction between the programmes :-)

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

I'd definitely be up for a Look-Back at Schools Telly. An episode of Experiment would be good, just to show how similar it is to Look Around You.

A phantom DVD of How We Used To Live appeared on Amazon, attributed to Network, but was never formally announced. It mooched around for a year, changing dates, then disappeared.

solidgold25
405 lines

Post by solidgold25 »

I'd love to see this one-off drama where Cliff Richard plays a jewel thief:-
A Matter Of Diamonds (ATV 1968) ATV Playhouse broadcast 1st April 1968: http://tinyurl.com/Cliff68

Plus this entertainment show:-
I'm Bob, He's Dickie (ATV 1977) Bob Monkhouse, Dickie Henderson, Una Stubbs, Sylvia Syms, Clodagh Rodgers. Broadcast 1st February 1978.

And this "On The Buses" spin-off:-
Milk-O (ATV 1975) 'On The Buses' cast Bob Grant & Anna Karen star in this one-off sitcom from the ATV series "Comedy Playhouse Premiere" co-written by Reg Varney. Broadcast 26th November 1975.

This one too - and only because I'm in it:-
New Faces (ATV 1973) A November 1973 show with musical act Bokkle Green. Mary Whitehouse, Clement Freud and Clifford Davis were the judges. Hosted by Derek Hobson.

And how about this sitcom pilot:-
Young At Heart (ATV 1977) starring Thora Hird and Jimmy Jewel, with Geoffrey Palmer and David Neilson. Broadcast 4th August 1977.

This one definitely exists too:-
Saturday Spectacular: The Atlantic Showboat (ATV 1959) Hughie Green hosts this variety show onboard the new pleasure-cruiser "The Empress Of Britain" as she sails from Liverpool via Greenock, Scotland, to Montreal, Canada. On board are guests George Formby, Shirley Bassey, David Whitfield, Duke Ellington, Lionel Blair, The Malcolm Mitchell Trio, and Jackie Rae. Broadcast 10th January 1959: http://tinyurl.com/lm5wab

And, of course, any episodes of 'Showtime' and 'Val Parnell's Saturday Spectacular' will be most welcome too :-)

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

I'm sorry to say that 'Milk-O' is unlikely to be released anytime soon,since it's listed as missing.I spent about a year under the impression that it was an extra on an 'On the Buses' boxed set...but somehow never one I could track down.I'd love to see it,if there is a copy out there?

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

solidgold25 wrote:I'd love to see this one-off drama where Cliff Richard plays a jewel thief:-
A Matter Of Diamonds (ATV 1968) ATV Playhouse broadcast 1st April 1968: http://tinyurl.com/Cliff68
A brief bit of this turned up at Missing Believed Wiped in December 2007, and seemed to be a very good quality copy which demonstrated why Cliff Richard wasn't frequently called on to take a serious dramatic role.

doubleM
625 lines

Post by doubleM »

Simon Coward wrote:Came up with these. There's bound to be a few in here which have been released and I've just forgotten about.

Drama Series, Serials and Plays

ABC Playhouse
Against The Crowd
The Cedar Tree
Crimebuster ....

Suspicion ...

West End Tales ...

plus entries for Play of the Week, Playhouse, Saturday/Sunday Night Theatre, Television Playhouse etc
I'll add "Crime of Passion" - quite a prestige VT programme created by Ted Willis, four series run in the early 70s. Cecil Clarke taking an active interest (and credit) for this one.

"West End Tales" I found borderline sitcom territory .. if it's the one set around Covent Garden in the early 80s with the vocal theme "You win some, you lost some ....."

I'd love to see "Suspicion" even if it's only b/w telerecordings like some much taped by ATV in the early 70s. We've had so many ATV series from this era it must be a possibility surely?

"Male of the Species" gave us three ATV contribution to ITV play strands (very pleasant to see the PAL versions recorded in colour) on DVD .. there are a fair few more I'd love to see - probably top of the list is "Sin With Our Permission" (ITV Playhouse from 1981). How about "Bud N Ches" too?
A THRILLER in Every Corner 700+ pages on the Brian Clemens 1970s suspense anthology
https://www.lulu.com/en/gb/shop/martin- ... qd6n5.html

Check out the top of page banner for valid discount codes.

ayrshireman
625 lines

Post by ayrshireman »

Roll ACR wrote:
Ross wrote:
I wouldn't personally regard any of David Jason's performances as anything to be "happy with" or proud of. For my money he's another of those curious TV personalities where their apparent popularity is absolutely no measure of quality.
Well, thats your opinion, and you are entitled to it. Some of us though think he IS a superb comic actor, with some marvellous performances. And not a bad serious actor either.

sxbarnes
405 lines

Post by sxbarnes »

The Masterspy (hopefully) . hopefully the success of the WHODUNNIT dvds could show that there is a marketb for game shows.

ATV Schools.... LEAPFROG, GOOD HEALTH, STARTING SCIENCE (ATV 1980 series), OVER TO YOU (with Wendy Padbury!) are all highly original programming.... Maybe some FIGURE IT OUT....

Would like to see some of BONKERS! 1979 again. Only 4 eps shown here out of 24 shown in the states. Pretty awful show, but it does have Bob Monkhouse in it.

WEST END TALES, loved this. Sitcom with no laughter track. I think by this time ATV realised that canned laughter wasn't the way to go, but still churn out these sitcoms out fast! SHINE ON HARVEY MOON, TILL DEATH and a 1982 Petter Tinniswood sitcom all had no laughs too!

WEST END TALES produced by MR TVS James Gatward, Written by Keith Waterhouse. Excellent cast, Robin Nedwell, Garfield Morgan, Toni Palmer, Peter Childs, Larry Martyn

THE THOUGHTS OF CHAIRMAN ALF, on the TILL DEATH set perhaps.

THE QUIZ KID and HONKY TONK HEROES, BUD AND CHES,

HEARTLAND was one that won me over on its afternoon screening. IIRC one person fell in love with another then fall in love with someone else who would then get dumped by someone else, or something. There was definitely a connection between all the single play stories....

SOUNDING BRASS Brian Glover in charge of Brass Band. Had the barman from Selwyn Froggitt inn it too, maybe Bill Dean also?. Lovely series.

Probably more if I think too much....