searching for film rushes to an MGM film.

What's not currently on the box
Gary C
405 lines

searching for film rushes to an MGM film.

Post by Gary C »

I know it's not television, but I couldn't think where else I could place this thread. I am trying to trace the rushes to the MGM-produced film 'Grand Prix' (1966). Would any of you guys have an idea on who I could contact for starters. I've heard in the past that MGM keep their archive inside a mountain in Vermont (or somewhere!). This is for a proposed TV documentary on the making of the film. Thanks for any help.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Re: searching for film rushes to an MGM film.

Post by Spiny Norman »

Gary C wrote:I know it's not television, but I couldn't think where else I could place this thread. I am trying to trace the rushes to the MGM-produced film 'Grand Prix' (1966). Would any of you guys have an idea on who I could contact for starters. I've heard in the past that MGM keep their archive inside a mountain in Vermont (or somewhere!). This is for a proposed TV documentary on the making of the film. Thanks for any help.
It's a hard one. Only thing I can think of is to post your request on nitrateville and hope for the best. Fingers crossed and don't hold breath and all that.
This is nøt å signåture.™

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Presumably you've tried approaching MGM directly as an obvious first step? If anyone knows where their archive is located, it's them.

They've even got a handy media licensing section on their website which could be used for making an initial contact - MGM Media Licensing.

Or just phone them - (310) 449-3000.

If the programme happens, can I have a researcher credit?

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

GarethR wrote:Presumably you've tried approaching MGM directly as an obvious first step? If anyone knows where their archive is located, it's them.

They've even got a handy media licensing section on their website which could be used for making an initial contact - MGM Media Licensing.

Or just phone them - (310) 449-3000.

If the programme happens, can I have a researcher credit?
Well, the DVD/BR contains several featurettes none of which show any deleted scenes apparently. So it may be that that footage will never be found. It's not impossible, but it's a challenge.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

The lack of deleted scenes could mean that none exist - or that MGM just didn't want to release any. It doesn't necessarily mean that the rushes are in any way missing.

Surely the logical first step is to approach MGM directly? As long as you're a credible person (e.g. a professional with a name broadcaster behind them) it shouldn't be too difficult to establish contact with people at MGM who can help. If they think you're just A.N. Other member of the public they might not be so willing to engage, especially if it involves their own staff racking up billable time doing research.

What's certain is that if the rushes still exist, MGM won't be making them available without crossing all sorts of Ts and dotting a great many i's. Obviously they'd be highly valuable and fragile assets which would be expensive to work with, and of course it's not just the film reels, it's all the audio mag tapes too. Which is why it's a little odd that someone's asking on here about ways of finding the rushes - if a kosher TV programme needed them, given the hurdles they'd need to jump and the money they'd need to spend, you'd think they'd engage a professional film researcher who'd already have connections and a good reputation within the Hollywood studios. Because that's the level of contact it'll take.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

One small thing I can say is that there is some footage (2 minutes) of the crew in Zandvoort, NL, 23-07-1966.

Philly
405 lines

Post by Philly »

Obscure fact about this film, Jackie Stewart told that he appeared in it as a racing driver.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

There's a "Whicker's World" on the film apparently, would be cheaper to use bits of that.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"