My Wife Next Door

What's not currently on the box
DavidAbsalom
405 lines

My Wife Next Door

Post by DavidAbsalom »

The BBFC have just classified this as a 12 for a 19th October release. 13 episodes, 2 discs. I have fond memories of this 70s sitcom so I'm glad it's finally coming out.

perov
405 lines

Re: My Wife Next Door

Post by perov »

Yes I used to enjoy it, and one of the few comedy shows the late Brian Clemens had a hand in.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

Be good to see it again. I was pretty young when I watched it first time round and basically caught it because my dad and my older sister liked it. I remember Alderton and Gordon being a good comic mix and the first scene of the first episode got it off to a good start. On the face of it, I was surprised it didn't last longer. Was it two short seasons or one 13-parter?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It was just one long run.

Very pleased it's coming out at last, and I agree about the two leads, great chemistry together, and very funny.

I would have liked to see it continue, but how many times can you have them seemingly making it up, only to have it all dashed again at the end of each episode, it was an excellent show though.

Happy memories of the original run, and the UK Gold repeat.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Clive
625 lines

Post by Clive »

I remember really enjoying it when I was a nipper. I remember being disappointed when it's run was interrupted by the 1980 Moscow Olympics and fully expected it to return when the Olympics finished, but it never did.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

I hadn't realised it was repeated as late as 1980. Presumably it was in the middle of the afternoons.

Clive
625 lines

Post by Clive »

No, as far as I remember it was Friday evenings after Nationwide.

This is all based on 35 year old memories so I am sure I could be completely wrong !

John Williams
Committee

Post by John Williams »

It ran from November 1979 until February 1980 on Friday nights.

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0/20? ... 980#search

Clive
625 lines

Post by Clive »

Thanks for the info ! I am not sure why I tied this into the Moscow Olympics which happened much later in the year.

I was only 8 at the time, but somehow it has stuck in my memory.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

It's slightly interesting that neither BBC repeat run was of the full thirteen episodes - only nine the first time round, and eleven in 1979/80.

Episodes 8 and 10, (Undesirable Residence + Second Time Around [or not!]), were omitted each time.

John Williams
Committee

Post by John Williams »

ian b wrote:It's slightly interesting that neither BBC repeat run was of the full thirteen episodes - only nine the first time round, and eleven in 1979/80.

Episodes 8 and 10, (Undesirable Residence + Second Time Around ((or not!)), were omitted each time.
I'd love to think there was something controversial about them, but I suspect it's because they were poor.

I remember the 1979/80 repeats very well, and really enjoyed them at the time, so I think I'll get the DVD on release.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I'd completely forgotten about the 79/80 repeat, the final episode was also repeated in March 73, I noticed, (before the main run later that year) presumably because it had just won a BAFTA.

The car rally episode was a favourite, there was a location in that one that I'm sure I have seen since, but not sure where it is.

rondo veneziano
405 lines

Post by rondo veneziano »

Wasn't this also shown on UK Gold, or something. I shall be getting the DVD for sure, great period for British telly those very early '70s.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, it was on Gold, taped it at the time, excellent show.

The Black Nun
625 lines

Post by The Black Nun »

I'm buying this. I know nothing about it but the Clemens/Waring involvement is enough to sell it for me.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

John Williams wrote:It ran from November 1979 until February 1980 on Friday nights.

Curious that the Genome does not seem to list the original 1972 run or (maybe wrong?) some selective repeats in 1973?

Westengland
625 lines

Post by Westengland »

fatcat wrote:
John Williams wrote:It ran from November 1979 until February 1980 on Friday nights.

Curious that the Genome does not seem to list the original 1972 run or (maybe wrong?) some selective repeats in 1973?

[align=justify]That's because John Williams's reference is to a Genome search he has made starting from 1979 not 1972. Click his reference, then click Advanced, change "1979" to "1972" and click Search; this will give you MWND from 7 November 1972 onwards - now click Oldest first and you will get the series starting from 19 September 1972. Clicking each episode's title or the day reference to the left will bring you the cast and crew list from Radio Times, Genome style.[/align]
Expect trouble if you know more than they do.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Westengland wrote:
fatcat wrote:

[align=justify]That's because John Williams's reference is to a Genome search he has made starting from 1979 not 1972. Click his reference, then click Advanced, change "1979" to "1972" and click Search; this will give you MWND from 7 November 1972 onwards - now click Oldest first and you will get the series starting from 19 September 1972. Clicking each episode's title or the day reference to the left will bring you the cast and crew list from Radio Times, Genome style.[/align]
Ah hah! I see now - thanks- and there were repeats in 1973 I didn't imagine it... cheers!

Bradders
405 lines

Post by Bradders »

This was also released on BBC Video in the pre-cert days. Good luck finding a copy now. Rare as hen's teeth

http://www.pre-cert.co.uk/display.php?vId=UK00496

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

I remember this being shown here in Canada - something like Saturday afternoons or the like. Definitely will be picking a copy up of this when it's released.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Bradders wrote:This was also released on BBC Video in the pre-cert days. Good luck finding a copy now. Rare as hen's teeth

http://www.pre-cert.co.uk/display.php?vId=UK00496
Only 3 episodes as well,!

Don't know why that site has the series down as 1976, when it was 72. and the VHS was released in 85, I think (Or thereabouts).

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Crikey!

Terrible quad scratching all the way through the first episode!

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

John Williams wrote:
ian b wrote:It's slightly interesting that neither BBC repeat run was of the full thirteen episodes - only nine the first time round, and eleven in 1979/80.

Episodes 8 and 10, (Undesirable Residence + Second Time Around ((or not!)), were omitted each time.
I'd love to think there was something controversial about them, but I suspect it's because they were poor.
Hmm, you could be right - I wouldn't say the eighth episode, UNDESIRABLE RESIDENCE with James Beck, was a particularly good example of the series. I'll find out about ten tenth tomorrow.

antoniod
405 lines

Post by antoniod »

An American network was going to run MY WIFE NEXT DOOR, but they changed their mind.