Alien TV drama.....anyone recall this?

What's not currently on the box
Beaker
625 lines

Alien TV drama.....anyone recall this?

Post by Beaker »

Ok, I may have asked this question on here before (have searched new and old sites, but no sign so it may have been the old SFX Forum) but, buffoon that I am, I have lost the details.

I recall a one-off drama, most probably on ITV, Mid-week. Set in England in the present day where a man had found an alien body and had brought people to his house to see it. As I recall, it was quite talky, suspenseful and mostly set inside the house without us ever actually seeing the alien until they opened the door to the room where it was and all we saw was a very bright light.
Clearly shown on the tails of Close Encounters of the third Kind, I think this would have been around 1978-1979.

Any ideas? I’d love to get a copy if it’s commercially available anywhere.
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

Kieran Seymour
405 lines

Re: Alien TV drama.....anyone recall this?

Post by Kieran Seymour »

Any possibility of it being a year or so later?

It could be the ITV Playhouse episode Friends in Space from 1980.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

There's a trailer for Friends in Space on YouTube.

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

WOO HOO! You know what, that could well be it.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

http://www.tvcream.co.uk/?p=2406

I didn’t see it as a comedy at the time and clearly you did see the aliens after all so maybe my memory is at fault. The short trailer certainly seems very familiar indeed.

A shame it’s never been released on DVD but maybe it is better just to have it as a memory.

Although...Friends In Space…it sounds like a sci-fi spin off of a certain long-running American sit-com….
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!