Would Dennis Potter have accepted a CBE / OBE ?

What's not currently on the box
Darren Fricker
405 lines

Would Dennis Potter have accepted a CBE / OBE ?

Post by Darren Fricker »

Firstly, I'm not a Daily Mail reader but I spotted this during a review of the papers on one of the breakfast TV shows.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tives.html

Another interesting piece in the jigsaw of Dennis Potter's life & work.

DuncanS
405 lines

Re: Would Dennis Potter have accepted a CBE / OBE ?

Post by DuncanS »

Blocking Cilla from an honour, I just actually gained some respect for the Blair government.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

The "jigsaw of Dennis Potter's life & work" might be better left alone. I like his work, and will continue to do so on the grounds of merit, irrespective of the make-up of the man's character.
The same goes for Eric Gill.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

DuncanS wrote:Blocking Cilla from an honour, I just actually gained some respect for the Blair government.
That's probably a lie.

bent_halo
Committee

Post by bent_halo »

During research for The Art of Invective we found a Daily Mail cutting dated 26.12.91 which referred to Potter receiving an OBE in the Queen's Birthday honours. We assumed it to be an error, but perhaps it was accidental disclosure of a second, failed effort to honour him? I found no other reference to this anywhere.

Incidentally, the book I mention above features Potter's 12.6.77 Sunday Times review of Jubilee celebrations. I don't think it was enough to prompt Callaghan to cross his name out in 1978, suggesting instead that he had a fondness for the Royals.