BBC Archive for sale

What's not currently on the box
MDK
405 lines

BBC Archive for sale

Post by MDK »

Looks interesting, but I wonder how obscure it will go and whether, for example, game shows will be included.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34733007

Don Satchley
625 lines

Re: BBC Archive for sale

Post by Don Satchley »

Well I have trawled through the site and the only obscure thing I could find was The New Statesman starring Windsor Davies. Still it is promising and I am sure more gems will be released in due course...

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Just noticed It Ain't Half Hot Mum also which was a surprise and Tom Baker in Hound of the Baskervilles. Also Moondial and Five Children and It and The Day of The Triffids,

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Fifteen (out of the nineteen) THE FROST INTERVIEWs from 1974 are there.

Oddly, one of the absent editions, (with Muhammad Ali), is on iPlayer.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Don Satchley wrote:the only obscure thing I could find was The New Statesman starring Windsor Davies
I'd completely forgotten about that - I'm sure I'm not the only one who confused it with the completely unrelated (and much better-known) YTV sitcom of the same title, produced about three years later. Didn't he play a character who inherited an earldom?

EDIT: A quick Google says yes, and also proffers the surprising (to me) fact that a pilot was broadcast starring Colin Blakely.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Well I must admit I enjoyed watching The New Statesman. Windsor Davies on form as ever. A whole series for under £8 with the promo code, good value I reckon. Some will argue it should all be free but for me I don't mind paying if I get a chance to see something from the good old days in a nice condition. The only gripe I have at the moment is that I have to watch the series on the BBC Store site. To download the episodes doesn't seem straightforward as some App is needed and Microsoft want me to have an account with them in order to download the App. One email address is quite enough for me.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Did the episodes look like proper video, Don, or does it have a filmised look?

David Plaice
405 lines

Post by David Plaice »

Promo code mentioned is WELCOME25 which gives a 25% discount for the first purchase. Not sure if applies to the whole basket or just a single item, nor how long the offer will last.

Ten Plays for Today @ £3.99 full price, mostly Dennis Potter, most of which haven't been available on DVD namely:
  • Double Dare
  • Only Make Believe
  • Schmoedipus
  • Traitor
  • Angels are so Few

the other five are:
  • The Elephant's Graveyard
  • Edna the Inebriate Woman
  • Blue Remembered Hills
  • Brimstone and Treacle
  • Abigail's Party
I hope Joe's Ark turns up at some point.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Ross wrote:Did the episodes look like proper video, Don, or does it have a filmised look?
A friend who downloaded Paul Calf's Video Diary as a test purchase says it's film-look and the aspect ratio was also wrong, and it wasn't correctable within the player (it's Silverlight-based). He claimed and got a refund. They acknowledged the aspect ratio problem and said they'd look into it, but they probably misunderstood what he said about the framerate and thought that he meant he was stuttering.

Getting them to fix aspect ratio issues is probably going to be a lot easier than communicating VT look versus film look and getting them to implement it where appropriate. I can understand why they don't go for 50fps on iPlayer (although in fairness they probably haven't even thought about it), but a paid-for download should look identical to what a DVD would look like.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Thanks, Gareth. Disappointing news.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Trying to find out who to pester about introducing 50fps video for everything that ought to be VT-look.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

To be honest The New Statesman looks much as I expected it to. I would say it looked video style rather than filmised but I am no expert.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

I managed to get the BBC Store App running and downloaded my episodes. However, I now find that essentially they can only be played in the App. I found some "video" files on my computer in the AppData folder but they won'teven open in that most useful program VLC. Have any members tried to do similar? The reason I ask is, like all my tv shows, I would like to back them up to external drive but if I can't open the file using anything other than the App it seems a little pointless.
The answer I imagine is that they encrypted. This would have been done to avoid uploading to file sharing places etc. The trouble is, such blanket practices mean that the concept of downloading them in the first place is pretty redundant for me.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Yes. they are DRM-encoded. Although people are already reporting ways to strip that off, which obviously I'm not going to repeat here.

One paragraph in the BBC's press release for the launch suggests that as well as preventing copying, the DRM can also be used in the event that the BBC chooses to redact any programming - say, for future Yewtree-style arrests or convictions. If that happens, any programmes already sold through the BBC Store can be effectively deleted from the purchasers' computers, and refunds issued.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

GarethR wrote:Yes. they are DRM-encoded. Although people are already reporting ways to strip that off, which obviously I'm not going to repeat here.

One paragraph in the BBC's press release for the launch suggests that as well as preventing copying, the DRM can also be used in the event that the BBC chooses to redact any programming - say, for future Yewtree-style arrests or convictions. If that happens, any programmes already sold through the BBC Store can be effectively deleted from the purchasers' computers, and refunds issued.
All pretty pointless, as there will be various ways of preserving a copy of any purchase, free from such retroactive prurient censorship.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Well, as mentioned in my previous post, people have already found ways to strip the DRM off. But realistically, how many of your average punters are likely to bother?

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

GarethR wrote:Well, as mentioned in my previous post, people have already found ways to strip the DRM off. But realistically, how many of your average punters are likely to bother?
Probably very few, considering most people will assume that buying "to own" means they will really get it for keeps, not that it can be unilaterally withdrawn at some point in the future, even with a refund.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

If you download your purchase it's yours forever. Whether it gets pulled from sale because of something happening that would make it editorially inappropriate to be displayed won't affect that.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Seems self-explanatory when you read the t&c, but no-one bothers with that, do they:

We cannot guarantee that you will be able to stream or re-download Content that's in your BBC Store account forever. Where our right to make content available has expired, you will no longer be able to stream or download that content from your BBC Store account. We'll try not to take down expired content without first notifying you that it is due to expire, so that you have the opportunity to download and playback the content through the Store Download Manager.

We may have to remove or stop you accessing some Content, or replace some Content in your BBC Store account with an edited version, when there are legal or other issues, or if you breach these Terms and Conditions. If we need to permanently remove Content for these reasons, it will be removed from your BBC Store account and you may be entitled to a refund (except where we've removed your purchased Content because you've breached these Terms and Conditions) and we'll confirm your refund by email. See our FAQ for more information on refunds.

We recommend that you download your Content on to your device as soon as you purchase it. We will not replace, update or remove any Content which you have already downloaded on to your device(s) from your BBC Store account.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Right on cue,Bill Oddie has been whinging about the absence of The Goodies from BBC Store:

"Surprised wouldn’t be the word. We’ve come to expect rejection. We don’t understand why.

"You put on Dad’s Army and, with respect, even Python has been repeated a million times. We’ve hardly been repeated at all. So somebody must hate it."

Now, much as I love The Goodies - and indeed adore Mr Oddie's daughter - isn't this complaint getting a bit old now? There are tons and tons of old comedy programmes that never see the light of day, no matter how popular they may have been back in the day.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote: Now, much as I love The Goodies - and indeed adore Mr Oddie's daughter - isn't this complaint getting a bit old now? There are tons and tons of old comedy programmes that never see the light of day, no matter how popular they may have been back in the day.
But ones that still have a loyal following now? People haven't forgotten The Goodies - indeed two-thirds of them are still going on I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Just because something isn't on BBC Store yet doesn't mean anything....

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Simon36 wrote:Just because something isn't on BBC Store yet doesn't mean anything....
That's what I'm hoping because nothing I have looked for so far has been there.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote: "You put on Dad’s Army and, with respect, even Python has been repeated a million times. We’ve hardly been repeated at all. So somebody must hate it."
It occurs to me that someone once literally died laughing at an episode of The Goodies. Maybe the BBC's scared of being sued?

Mike S
D-MAC

Post by Mike S »

The BBC hasn't repeated an episode of Python for 16 years.

I thought The Goodies themselves blocked complete-series sets (back when Network still had the rights), preferring to put out best ofs because they were embarrassed by some of the early shows?

bent_halo
Committee

Post by bent_halo »

Mike S wrote:The BBC hasn't repeated an episode of Python for 16 years.
The Cycling Tour in 2004. But I take your point.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Just a heads up: John Hopkins' Fable and the Play for Today "The Lie" written by Bergman are among the new additions this week...

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

Is there any way of finding out anything newly added rather than having to trawl through everything?

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

There is a New to Store module on the home page immediately under the carousel. Although currently this is just a selection of new additions.

David Savage
405 lines

Post by David Savage »

bent_halo wrote:
Mike S wrote:The BBC hasn't repeated an episode of Python for 16 years.
The Cycling Tour in 2004. But I take your point.

2005, in fact, as part of a Michael Palin night on BBC4!

And the Flying Sheep edition the year before as part of a BBC4 Sixties TV night...

It would be surprising if The Goodies didn't turn up on the Store, though, as a show that ran for eleven years on the BBC and was one of their biggest comedy shows of the Seventies.