Psst.... (Fawlty Towers edited)

What's not currently on the box
brigham
HD

Re: Psst.... (Fawlty Towers edited)

Post by brigham »

Total class.
If Joe Orton had written it, there would have been no problems.
(Although it wouldn't have reached so large an audience).

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Ian Wegg wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:26 am
fatcat wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:27 pm
perhaps somebody could confirm or deny exactly what phrases were used

Thanks, well that confirms something I may have edited in the mind, and along with the jokes on the Germans I have to agree with the general mood that it belongs in 1975 and we hopefully have moved on . Those of us who enjoyed the moment of FT as a comedy back in the day, don't need to see it again. and so it should be taken off public platforms IMHO .

Brock
HD

Fawlty Towers controversy

Post by Brock »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:09 pm
Brock wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:55 pm
Yes, that's why I revived the old thread. But murphy1961 appeared to be under the impression that it was a recent thread and that the issue was that the programme had been cut, not that it had been removed completely.

Might be better to start a brand new thread about it. Perhaps I'll do so tomorrow.
It's back in a cut version, at least I think that's the latest.
Are you sure about that? The reports I've heard say that UKTV plan to reinstate it with a warning about "offensive content and language":

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53032895

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

fatcat wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:06 am
... along with the jokes on the Germans I have to agree with the general mood that it belongs in 1975 and we hopefully have moved on .
I don't think it even belonged in 1975. I didn't find it funny then and I don't now.

The joke doesn't even work. "All cricketers are ******s"? Even the England team?

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

On the same issue, speaking as someone who is unable to straighten their left arm properly because of spasticity, I would shed no tears if ableist "jokes" and lines in archive shows are cut out on repeats. And many civil rights groups have made sure that bigoted lines are even cut from some DVD releases of archive material.

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

The same "n word" was used in Love Thy Neighbour in the 70's. A character used it in the "... in the works" non-racial meaning to mean a troublemaker, only for Bill to look angrily at him. From what I got of it, the humour, if indeed there was any, lay in the fact that the person who used the word used it without any racial connotations whatsoever, only for someone else to interpret it in the pejorative racist manner.

It's not entirely unlike in an episode of Dad's Army where Godfrey refers to an event he attended as being very "gay", which he would have meant to mean cheerful. Yet many viewers in the 70's would likely have found something "funny" about that, as the word was taking on a new meaning at the time.

As far as "That's not funny"...my father suffered his entire life with irritable bowels, and eating anything more than bland chicken and potatoes resulted in agony for him. He died aged only 63 when his insides finally gave way. Yet some people find the idea of someone suffering from diarrhoea to be the epitome of humour. That never made any sense to me. If someone was in a wheelchair, would that be amusing? If someone took a gunshot, and was clearly in agony, would some people consider that to be amusing? Yet someone suffering from something that is clearly causing them pain, and embarrassment, has many people in howls of laughter.
Great News Inside, Chums!

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

Every comedy writer who uses dementia as a topic for cheap laughs should be forced to go through what i did and see a loved one destroyed by that horrible disease.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

OK, now I'm getting a bit worried. Laughing at serious stuff can bring great release. The Producers and all that...
brigham wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:33 am
Total class.
If Joe Orton had written it, there would have been no problems.
(Although it wouldn't have reached so large an audience).
Well I think it was recently proven that you can stomach more than most.
This is nøt å signåture.™

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

The sad reality is that if Joe Orton doesn't become Hammer Head he instead likely dies in the 1980s as one of the first celebrity victims of the AIDS virus.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

If Joe Orton was still alive he’d be Sir John Orton and would have been officially pardoned for defacing the library books.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Juswuh wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:52 pm
If Joe Orton was still alive he’d be Sir John Orton and would have been officially pardoned for defacing the library books.
...and been declared 'Immune from Investigation', like Cliff...

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:57 pm
OK, now I'm getting a bit worried. Laughing at serious stuff can bring great release. The Producers and all that...
The Producers wasn't that good. No one in the audience laughs until someone shouts out "It's a comedy", and then everyone finds it hilarious?

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

brigham wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:12 pm
Juswuh wrote:
Did Kenneth Halliwell do us a public service? (Cliff should be rotting in a cell, i agree)

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

paul.austin wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:32 am
brigham wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:12 pm
Juswuh wrote:
Did Kenneth Halliwell do us a public service? (Cliff should be rotting in a cell, i agree)
Judge, Jury and Chief Censor.
Don't you think you ought to deputise? The workload is a bit demanding, even without your personal 'issues'.

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

I'm joking around.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

I always thought that cricket routine was curiously unfunny. Even Ballard B couldn’t get much out of it.

Has anyone else noticed that there are two versions of a moment in Kipper and the Corpse? The scene where the couple are checking out, in one version they consider trying the hotel by the sewage farm, and in another by the “prophylactic emporium”.