Paul Temple (German) DVD

What's not currently on the box
Post Reply
User avatar
Spiny Norman
D-MAC
Posts: 886
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Paul Temple (German) DVD

Post by Spiny Norman »

http://www.amazon.de/Francis-Durbridge-Paul-Temple-DVDs

Looks like they have the lot in colour? Dubbed, though.
This is nøt å signåture.™

User avatar
Richard A
625 lines
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:10 pm

Re: Paul Temple (German) DVD

Post by Richard A »

Good spot, Spiny Norman. I half expected these to appear, based on a rumour I picked up on a German forum but I'd forgotten to check recently.

Coming out in 3 boxes of 3 discs each:
Francis Durbridge - Paul Temple - Box 1 [3 DVDs] (22.04.2016)
Francis Durbridge - Paul Temple - Box 2 [3 DVDs] (22.04.2016)
Francis Durbridge - Paul Temple - Box 3 [3 DVDs] (17.06.2016)

Curiously, I can only find reference to Box 3 on the publisher's own website. I suppose it's early days yet.

EDIT: In fact entries for Box 1 and Box 2 are there on Alive's site, they just don't come up in the search at the moment.

User avatar
Spiny Norman
D-MAC
Posts: 886
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Paul Temple (German) DVD

Post by Spiny Norman »

The strange thing is, one of the English b/w episodes seems to have gotten chroma dot colour recovery. Which may have been slightly unnecessary.

I guess if we find someone who recorded the audio at home, then many of the German episodes could be turned back into English.
This is nøt å signåture.™

MDK
405 lines
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:31 pm

Re: Paul Temple (German) DVD

Post by MDK »

I know it wouldn't quite be the same, but I wonder if anyone's thought of dubbing them back into English using new actors ? They should at least be able to get the lip synching right.

User avatar
Spiny Norman
D-MAC
Posts: 886
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Paul Temple (German) DVD

Post by Spiny Norman »

MDK wrote:I know it wouldn't quite be the same, but I wonder if anyone's thought of dubbing them back into English using new actors ? They should at least be able to get the lip synching right.
Funny, I thought the same thing. There must still be scripts. But if there is no isolated effects / score then it becomes a bit more difficult.

I guess this is theoretically possible, but unlikely. There are a few other cases like this including movies (because of the vitaphone sound system), and it never seems to have been done. In fact one Italian movie was shown with its (only surviving) Spanish dub and Italian subtitles - which is strange considering that the Italians normally dub all films.
Oh wait I think one scene from Spartacus has been redubbed. The snails and oysters bit was originally cut because it was a bit too clear what they meant. It was later found and re-voiced.

In this case it would have to be an unexpected restoration effort by the BBC, or a group of really determined fans doing it more or less independently.
This is nøt å signåture.™

User avatar
Spiny Norman
D-MAC
Posts: 886
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Paul Temple (German) DVD

Post by Spiny Norman »

PS Elsewhere, Charles Norton writes that the Germans DO have the English soundtrack after all. It's just proven too expensive to order.
This is nøt å signåture.™

MDK
405 lines
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:31 pm

Re: Paul Temple (German) DVD

Post by MDK »

Well that's great to know if true - but incredibly frustrating.

User avatar
Spiny Norman
D-MAC
Posts: 886
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Paul Temple (German) DVD

Post by Spiny Norman »

MDK wrote:Well that's great to know if true - but incredibly frustrating.
Yes this kind of thing is always unsatisfying. Perhaps we've gotten too much used to having nearly everything at our disposal.

You might try to write to them and suggest that they include the English audio and will sell a lot more copies. But it might be too late and there might be reasons that prevent them.
This is nøt å signåture.™

m-g
405 lines
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:35 pm

Re: Paul Temple (German) DVD

Post by m-g »

English soundtracks for 23 episodes are still missing. So if anyone is in possession of a private recording of "Kill or Cure" et al. on audio cassette etc. (I know it's unlikely but ...) please contact the DVD company.

User avatar
Spiny Norman
D-MAC
Posts: 886
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Paul Temple (German) DVD

Post by Spiny Norman »

m-g wrote:English soundtracks for 23 episodes are still missing. So if anyone is in possession of a private recording of "Kill or Cure" et al. on audio cassette etc. (I know it's unlikely but ...) please contact the DVD company.
It's very likely that people had them, but did they keep them? (There are quite a few audio tracks that would be really useful to find!)

But what is the source for this information? So far it looked like the Germans had none of series one and for the rest only German dubbed versions; until Charles Norton (who we can trust) reported that they have the English soundtrack as well.
This is nøt å signåture.™

m-g
405 lines
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:35 pm

Re: Paul Temple (German) DVD

Post by m-g »

The Germans don't have any season one episode - they never had them. Statements made by ZDF representatives at the time suggest the eps. were viewed and considered not good enough.
The upcoming release is based on ZDF dubbed versions and already available English soundtracks.
Charles was referring to the original English versions kept by Taurus Film (not sure where exactly they are now) - which, at this point, are not available as potential DVD material.
Charles - and the Kaleidoscope people - apparently were not aware that ZDF and Taurus are separate entities, which led to some confusion.

User avatar
Spiny Norman
D-MAC
Posts: 886
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Paul Temple (German) DVD

Post by Spiny Norman »

m-g wrote:The Germans don't have any season one episode - they never had them. Statements made by ZDF representatives at the time suggest the eps. were viewed and considered not good enough.
The upcoming release is based on ZDF dubbed versions and already available English soundtracks.
Charles was referring to the original English versions kept by Taurus Film (not sure where exactly they are now) - which, at this point, are not available as potential DVD material.
Charles - and the Kaleidoscope people - apparently were not aware that ZDF and Taurus are separate entities, which led to some confusion.
That sounds like Taurus may have more than ZFD does?
Someone on Roobarb thought that they had been sent season 1. So it's not completely impossible that Taurus has the lot.

The question is if the German company is in any way interested in including the English soundtrack. It would only complicate matters for them - weren't the cuts slightly different?
This is nøt å signåture.™

jno
405 lines
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Off The Manor
Contact:

Re: Paul Temple (German) DVD

Post by jno »

Spiny Norman wrote:I guess if we find someone who recorded the audio at home, then many of the German episodes could be turned back into English.
Or you could go here for a homemade subs project: http://www.minder.org/paultemple.htm

Post Reply