Trying to identify 1970's series about the economy.

What's not currently on the box
Ian Wegg
625 lines

Trying to identify 1970's series about the economy.

Post by Ian Wegg »

Is anyone able to identify this gent?

In the early seventies he presented a series which explained how the British economy worked (or didn't).

A very brief clip from one of his programmes, talking about the housing boom, appeared in last night's Back in Time for the Weekend.

I've been trying for years to get hold of the book that accompanied the series but it's not easy without knowing either his name or the title of the programme.

Cheers,

~iw

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Re: Trying to identify 1970's series about the economy.

Post by Simon Coward »

That's the economist Peter Donaldson, so could this be Economics of the Real World, a series of 20 programmes which ran from late 1973 on the BBC? It was repeated from late 1974 too.

There was definitely a tie-in book for that series, published by Pelican.

He was also involved with Yorkshire TV's A Question of Economics, but I suspect that's too late as I think it was made for Channel 4.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Thanks guys, you got me the name which has pointed me in the right direction.

The programme was actually Peter Donaldson's Illustrated Economics broadcast on BBC in 1976. Genome entry

The tie-in book was originally £1.60, I've picked one up on Amazon for £2.21. That's inflation for you :-)

Cheers,

~iw

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

No tie-in board game for Christmas?
Damned lucky that Waddingtons didn't object and have him sent directly to jail.

rachel leah
405 lines

Post by rachel leah »

Ian Wegg wrote:A very brief clip from one of his programmes, talking about the housing boom, appeared in last night's Back in Time for the Weekend.

~iw
I looked up "Back in Time for the Weekend" on youtube as a result of this. The over simplicity and stereotyping of the 50's was very disappointing. After hearing how downtrodden women were and how everyone who didn't go to church "raised eyebrows" I got fed up and turned off. I think I'll look at the 70's program just to see that cool economics gent.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

My mum, a young housewife in the late-fifties, said the Fifties episode was nonsense for implying that women were imprisoned in kitchens. She had labour-saving kitchen gadgets, two foreign holidays a year, and a lot of free time. She never went to church and no-one cared. She was living in semi-detached Surrey suburbia (Hersham) at the time.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

rachel leah wrote: I think I'll look at the 70's program just to see that cool economics gent.
Don't expect much, it's the briefest of clips. It took me ages on iPlayer trying to find it again (it's just before 15 minutes).

My book arrived today from Amazon and it's brought back a lot of memories of that time.

~iw

Alice80
405 lines

Post by Alice80 »

rachel leah wrote:
Ian Wegg wrote:A very brief clip from one of his programmes, talking about the housing boom, appeared in last night's Back in Time for the Weekend.

~iw
I looked up "Back in Time for the Weekend" on youtube as a result of this. The over simplicity and stereotyping of the 50's was very disappointing. After hearing how downtrodden women were and how everyone who didn't go to church "raised eyebrows" I got fed up and turned off. I think I'll look at the 70's program just to see that cool economics gent.
Yes, the 1970s one didn't have any resemblence to the 1970s I lived though either...the same with the 1980s - also some of the clips in that we thought looked like they came from the 1990s anyway...