Division 4

What's not currently on the box
Juswuh
D-MAC

Division 4

Post by Juswuh »

Having discovered Eaton Films' DVD shop via the Bluey thread I thought I'd give Division 4 a look and am enjoying it. I don't remember it ever turning up on British TV, perhaps because it's a mix of film and VT rather than all-film?

Roll ACR
625 lines

Re: Division 4

Post by Roll ACR »

Oh cheers hadn't spotted that other thread. Quite fancy Homicide, Division 4 and Matlock Police.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Juswuh wrote:Having discovered Eaton Films' DVD shop via the Bluey thread I thought I'd give Division 4 a look and am enjoying it. I don't remember it ever turning up on British TV, perhaps because it's a mix of film and VT rather than all-film?
Division 4 was shown on Yorkshire TV and maybe a few others? In those days Yorkshire tended to do it's own thing and not take (if it felt like it) what the network was offering, consequently it's popular peak time viewing was stuff like Division 4 and the Edgar Wallace mysteries. Yorkshire being a new kid on the block was also working in 625 lines from the start.
If your into Aussie dramas also look out for 'Delta' a film adventure series (a sort of Department S in the outback) in which the two leads (one the gorgeous Kirrily Nolan) investigate odd cases. It's in B/W but was also shown in some parts of the UK.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

Edwin Astley music cues have turned up in several episodes - all from The Baron, I think.

Simon Mclean
405 lines

Post by Simon Mclean »

Watch out for the News At Ten theme turning up as incidental music in one episode!

Currently working my way through the first set, really enjoying it so far. Even halfway through, it's interesting to see how many actors appear in one episode, then turn up again playing a different character only a few weeks later.

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

Simon Mclean wrote:Watch out for the News At Ten theme turning up as incidental music in one episode!

Currently working my way through the first set, really enjoying it so far. Even halfway through, it's interesting to see how many actors appear in one episode, then turn up again playing a different character only a few weeks later.
I think because the Crawford shows were made in Melbourne and a lot of actors came from Sydney, they would get them to do a few episodes while they were down there, especially when all 3 shows (Homicide, Division 4 and Matlock) were in production. That's probably why sometimes the same actors keep cropping up in episodes that aren't that far apart.

I guess also that when these shows, like just about all shows, when they originally aired, you got one episode a week. Now you can watch a months worth of episodes (4 episodes), or more, in one night. So the same actor playing different characters in episodes that are 3 episodes apart, you can see in one day, whereas when aired they would have been 3 weeks apart and people may have forgotten them perhaps.

I'm no expert on incidental music in shows, but I do recognise a lot of musical pieces that I've heard before. I have noticed a lot of musical pieces from things like The Sweeney, particularly, that have cropped up in the old Crawford shows. Of course now with DVDs you can check and re-check these things.

Simon Mclean
405 lines

Post by Simon Mclean »

murphy1961 wrote:I think because the Crawford shows were made in Melbourne and a lot of actors came from Sydney, they would get them to do a few episodes while they were down there, especially when all 3 shows (Homicide, Division 4 and Matlock) were in production. That's probably why sometimes the same actors keep cropping up in episodes that aren't that far apart.
Thanks for that - also intriguing is that some guest actors also end up becoming producers and script editors too. Sonia Borg played an interfering do-gooder one week, and a few weeks later ended up co-producing an episode (and worked on a few other Crawford shows subsequently).

KennyG
405 lines

Post by KennyG »

Simon Mclean wrote:Watch out for the News At Ten theme turning up as incidental music in one episode!
It also worked in reverse - part of Division 4's theme was used as the theme to UTV Reports, Ulster Television's main news bulletin.

Simon Mclean
405 lines

Post by Simon Mclean »

Brilliant, I didn't know that! I know it was used somewhere as the theme tune to coverage of the 1966 World Cup - not sure whether it was BBC or ITV, though. It's a great tune.

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

Parcel post from Eaton Films today. Division 4 looks promising, as do Matlock Police and The Box, very competent productions. Division 4 looks the best on first inspection though, really very good indeed. Volume 1 of Homicide from 1964 looks very primitive in comparison. Illustrates the huge progress of Aussie production in just 5 years.
The Box is fascinating just for the glimpses of the technical facilities at ATV 0.

This is an alternative seam to mine given Network's current trickle.

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

Roll ACR wrote:Parcel post from Eaton Films today. Division 4 looks promising, as do Matlock Police and The Box, very competent productions. Division 4 looks the best on first inspection though, really very good indeed. Volume 1 of Homicide from 1964 looks very primitive in comparison. Illustrates the huge progress of Aussie production in just 5 years.
The Box is fascinating just for the glimpses of the technical facilities at ATV 0.

This is an alternative seam to mine given Network's current trickle.
Yes, the earlier Homicides seem rather primitive compared to the others, but they do start to improve slowly as they go along. In the earlier episodes they didn't do any location sound, all the voices and sounds were post-sync, which doesn't help. If you make it to Volume 11, it has The Homicide Story (75 mins) as a bonus which shows behind the scenes of the show and how they made a typical episode (Ep 266) and is rather fascinating, especially if you're interested in the technical side of things.

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

It's not only "The Awakening" (News at Ten) which turns up. Both "Division 4" and "Matlock Police" have final scenes with "The Plane Makers" end/start of part music.

I'm really enjoying this Aussie stuff.

Simon Mclean
405 lines

Post by Simon Mclean »

I don't suppose anyone actually knows whereabouts in Melbourne the building used as Yarra Central police station was? I'd like to find it on Google Street View just to see what it looks like these days!

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

According to a number of sources...Google is your friend... the location was at 95 Montague Street, South Melbourne. It's long since been demolished by the look of things now.

The Police station in Matlock Police is still there at 31 Ringwood Street, Ringwood, VIC.

Still very much enjoying this series and other Crawford stuff. I'm up to episode 66 of Division 4 now and episode 40 of Matlock Police.

Full versions of sig tunes too! Search the YouTube for "Power Drive Johnny Pearson" and then go to the De Wolfe music website and search for "Project in Operation" where you can listen to the full version of the Matlock theme. Pick your moment to utter the commercial credit V/O "our interstate artists stay at Commodore Motels...they fly with Ansett Airlines of Australia."

Simon Mclean
405 lines

Post by Simon Mclean »

Ah, you had better luck Googling than I did - thanks!

I'm on episode 55 of Division 4, still really enjoying it - Robert Bruning seems to be in it as someone different every couple of weeks at the moment, though I imagine there'll be a break when he starts doing The Long Arm.

Is Matlock Police along similar lines? I might move onto that or Homicide when I finally run out of D4s.

I was really pleased to find the KPM LP with 'Power Drive' on it a few years back, even if it was a little more than I'd usually pay for a record!

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

A website that may be of interest is Crawford Productions TV (a tribute to the staff, crew, performers and management of Crawford Productions) with hundreds of photos, videos (which I think are also on YouTube), documents, memos and various other bits of memorabilia including the full theme tunes to most of their shows, which can all be downloaded.

http://www.crawfordproductions.tv/

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

Simon Mclean wrote:I'm on episode 55 of Division 4, still really enjoying it - Robert Bruning seems to be in it as someone different every couple of weeks at the moment, though I imagine there'll be a break when he starts doing The Long Arm.

Is Matlock Police along similar lines? I might move onto that or Homicide when I finally run out of D4s.
Yes, Robert Bruning was one of those actors that was rather ubiquitous at the time, after he did The Long Arm (which Matlock Police basically replaced) he was in a sitcom called The Godfathers which he also co-created and produced. After that he founded a company called Gemini Productions (later bought out by Grundy's) and basically turned to producing full-time with only the occasional acting role. It was due to the failure of The Long Arm that Matlock Police came into being as Channel 0/10 were desperate for a successful cop show like the other two commercial networks had (Homicide on 7 and Division 4 on 9), so they turned to Crawford's who didn't really want to do another cop show but reluctantly agreed, so Matlock Police was born.

Without going into it too deeply, if you like the style and ambience of Division 4, then you should like Homicide and Matlock Police.

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

Simon Mclean wrote:Ah, you had better luck Googling than I did - thanks!

I'm on episode 55 of Division 4, still really enjoying it - Robert Bruning seems to be in it as someone different every couple of weeks at the moment, though I imagine there'll be a break when he starts doing The Long Arm.

I was really pleased to find the KPM LP with 'Power Drive' on it a few years back, even if it was a little more than I'd usually pay for a record!
"Matlock Police" is in many ways similar although it's setting very rural and the pace is in some ways a bit slower. I think it's equally enjoyable and the production values are equally good.

I'm surprised how gritty these series are in some ways and some of the material they show and deal with. I'm sure over here the ITA would've refused TX of some eps in the given timeslot. The Aussies clearly had less of a nanny state.

Made it to set 2 disc 6 of Matlock and some numpty has stuck the Divy 4 music onto the Matlock disc main menu!

Westengland
625 lines

Post by Westengland »

[align=justify]I've exchanged TwitterMessages today (via @TelevisionAU) with Andrew Bayley of TelevisionAU - The History of Australian Television website (one of several archive broadcasting ones down under but the most comprehensive) about some of the Australian programme information I've put on IMDb.[/align]
AB's said to me:
[align=center]"Surprised to see someone in UK so interested in vintage Aus TV."[/align]

I'll direct him to this thread but anybody else here - of those in the UK who are also interested in "Vintage Aus TV" - can contact him about the thread's subject programmes and other Australian archive TV programmes.
Expect trouble if you know more than they do.

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

Sunday evening viewing is episode 90 of "Division 4" entitled "Everyone Loves a Prang" and suddenly I'm reminded of Granada TV's "Spindoe" by some very familiar music cues.

Recognising loads of tracks in these Crawford shows but can't always place them. I'm sure there's stuff from ITC series and VT era "The Avengers".

Simon Mclean
405 lines

Post by Simon Mclean »

All Derek Hilton's music from Spindoe was later released as side 2 of a de Wolfe LP - I've heard a couple of tracks from side one of the same LP ('Newsdesk' by The Modern Sound) so I shouldn't be too surprised that some of the Spindoe tracks turned up too! I've not reached Everyone Loves A Prang yet, so I'll look forward to seeing it!

It seems strange that Patricia Smith seems to have completely disappeared off the radar after Division 4 - she was a pretty decent actress, but seems to have done very little before, and nothing afterwards. I wonder what happened to her?

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

Simon Mclean wrote:It seems strange that Patricia Smith seems to have completely disappeared off the radar after Division 4 - she was a pretty decent actress, but seems to have done very little before, and nothing afterwards. I wonder what happened to her?
She certainly did disappear off the radar (like a lot of them seem to do). I can't recall seeing her in anything (TV or movies) post Division 4. All I know about her is that she came from Adelaide and used to commute to Melbourne to do the series, that was publicised at the time. I'd say she most likely got married (if she wasn't already) and started and raised a family, but that's just a guess.

But then even the others in the show, apart from Terry Donovan maybe, didn't do much after the show, even Gerard Kennedy, the 'star'. A couple of movies maybe and a few guest roles in a few TV shows. And although he left before the series ended and if memory serves me Ted Hamilton left to go to America to try his luck and did appear in a Season 4 episode of MASH (Ep 78 - "Hey Doc") as a British officer and then in a 1982 (Australian) movie, The Pirate Movie, but not much apart from that. He was more known as a singer anyway, certainly prior to D4.

But I suppose for most of them, that's the actors lot, isn't it? A 'star' one day, a kind of 'has-been' the next, or something like that. It's little wonder some actors stay in soaps seemingly forever.

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

I've got to say that this thread has piqued my interest somewhat. I think I'll have a dabble.

It looks like Crawford Productions are wholly committed to an exclusive retail model for DVD sales. Do they advertise anywhere, I wonder? I mean, I know where to buy their stuff, thanks to this thread, but how do they spread the message to the general archive TV market?

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

I don't think they bother. The Division 4 DVDs don't even have barcodes on the covers.

Simon Mclean
405 lines

Post by Simon Mclean »

murphy1961 wrote:She certainly did disappear off the radar (like a lot of them seem to do). I can't recall seeing her in anything (TV or movies) post Division 4. All I know about her is that she came from Adelaide and used to commute to Melbourne to do the series, that was publicised at the time. I'd say she most likely got married (if she wasn't already) and started and raised a family, but that's just a guess.
Perhaps it was a distance thing, then - maybe she got fed up with staying in Commordore Motels!
murphy1961 wrote:But then even the others in the show, apart from Terry Donovan maybe, didn't do much after the show, even Gerard Kennedy, the 'star'. A couple of movies maybe and a few guest roles in a few TV shows. And although he left before the series ended and if memory serves me Ted Hamilton left to go to America to try his luck and did appear in a Season 4 episode of MASH (Ep 78 - "Hey Doc") as a British officer and then in a 1982 (Australian) movie, The Pirate Movie, but not much apart from that. He was more known as a singer anyway, certainly prior to D4.
Hamilton suffered from his involvement in the 'TV: Make It Australian' campaign too - maybe they all did, but Hamilton appears to have been the most high profile.

If Gerard Kennedy's career slumped after D4, that's a tremendous shame - he really is a superb actor.

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

Simon Mclean wrote:
murphy1961 wrote:She certainly did disappear off the radar (like a lot of them seem to do). I can't recall seeing her in anything (TV or movies) post Division 4. All I know about her is that she came from Adelaide and used to commute to Melbourne to do the series, that was publicised at the time. I'd say she most likely got married (if she wasn't already) and started and raised a family, but that's just a guess.
Perhaps it was a distance thing, then - maybe she got fed up with staying in Commordore Motels!
murphy1961 wrote:But then even the others in the show, apart from Terry Donovan maybe, didn't do much after the show, even Gerard Kennedy, the 'star'. A couple of movies maybe and a few guest roles in a few TV shows. And although he left before the series ended and if memory serves me Ted Hamilton left to go to America to try his luck and did appear in a Season 4 episode of MASH (Ep 78 - "Hey Doc") as a British officer and then in a 1982 (Australian) movie, The Pirate Movie, but not much apart from that. He was more known as a singer anyway, certainly prior to D4.
Hamilton suffered from his involvement in the 'TV: Make It Australian' campaign too - maybe they all did, but Hamilton appears to have been the most high profile.

If Gerard Kennedy's career slumped after D4, that's a tremendous shame - he really is a superb actor.
Yes, I forgot about that TV make it Australian thing, there was a lot of media attention about it at the time. Ted Hamilton had his own variety type show on the ABC not long after he finished with Div 4, but that only lasted a few episodes, maybe due to political reasons, who knows. I think he went to the US after that.

Gerard Kennedy was always one of those actors whom I thought would go further, in other words, go to and succeed in America, but alas it wasn't to be.

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

Richard A wrote:I've got to say that this thread has piqued my interest somewhat. I think I'll have a dabble.

It looks like Crawford Productions are wholly committed to an exclusive retail model for DVD sales. Do they advertise anywhere, I wonder? I mean, I know where to buy their stuff, thanks to this thread, but how do they spread the message to the general archive TV market?
I think this is a problem that they have. They don't seem to advertise anywhere, apart from their website, their releases don't appear in stores, but I'd assume they know what they are doing. There's seemingly little interest in old Australian TV in Australia at the best of times, but then they're up to Volume 15 of Homicide now so someone must be buying them. They apparently stopped releasing further volumes of The Box because of lack of sales of Volume 3, but I wonder how many people don't know about these releases, so obviously can't buy them. But as I said, I guess they know what they're doing.

At least they're now available in the UK through Euston Films, so the 'word' has been spread a bit further.

Simon Mclean
405 lines

Post by Simon Mclean »

Having a look through some old TV Times scans, I've found out a bit more about Division 4's (only?) UK screening, on Yorkshire Television in 1971.

The Classic Australian TV website says YTV bought 13 episodes, but it looks like they only screened five of them - the first was at 10pm on Saturday the 7th of August, replacing Mannix. The TVT doesn't say which epsiode was shown, but it looks like they didn't start from episode 1, as three weeks later on the 28th of August 'La Truffe' was shown at 9pm. 'The Desecration' appears to have been the final episode shown, on the 4th of September. And unless they held some more episodes for another time, that looks like it for Det. Banner and co in the UK.

bob1963
405 lines

Post by bob1963 »

Long time reader first time poster chiming in here.

I live in the USA and discovered The Flying Doctors on Amazon UK back in January and was able to buy single sets of The Flying Doctors mini series and series 1 -8 which I bought and imported one a t time. I also was able to pick up The Sullivan's volume 2,4,5,6,7 & 8 from the UK. Now what was funny is that they wont ship me volumes 1 and 3 due to "territorial restrictions" but they had no problem selling me 6 other volumes.

I have noticed that the UK versions of The Flying Doctors have more episodes on a DVD so they can cut these 6 and 7 DVD sets down by one DVD. The Netherlands version of series 1 has burnt in Dutch subtitles that cant be turned off on any of my 4 multi region players.

Currently I am in the middle of the second set of The Box which is quite funny, also its fascinating to see behind the scene of Channel 10 Melbourne where PRISONER was also taped.

Is there any reason that any one knows why both the Easton Films and Crawford's Australia don't ship world wide, I mean if you want to make money off a product make it available. I can find one other DVD seller in Australia that sells the Crawford's titles but they are like $99 Australian per set. The other titles they offer are at normal prices.

A few moths ago I contacted Crawford's and its legal to sell to me in the USA as long as I have it sent to some one in Australia or New Zealand which I have done. In fact volume 3 of The Box arrived in New Zealand a few days ago.

After this if there are no more sets of The Box available to purchase I will jump into Matlock Police, followed by Division 4 and hopefully Hunter. Eventually Ill go back and get the missing sets of The Sullivans as well as later ones

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

bob1963 wrote: Is there any reason that any one knows why both the Easton Films and Crawford's Australia don't ship world wide, I mean if you want to make money off a product make it available. I can find one other DVD seller in Australia that sells the Crawford's titles but they are like $99 Australian per set. The other titles they offer are at normal prices.

After this if there are no more sets of The Box available to purchase I will jump into Matlock Police, followed by Division 4 and hopefully Hunter. Eventually Ill go back and get the missing sets of The Sullivans as well as later ones
This has always been an issue, why they can't just sell the damn things to people overseas, who knows? This was the question some people in the UK were asking before Eaton Films came along and started selling them there. Even here in Australia you have to buy them online, they don't sell them in stores or even through online retailers here (that I know of). I have no problems at all with their service, it's great, but why they don't make them more widely available is anybody's guess. And they (probably) wonder why sales aren't as good as they'd like. The Box has 'stalled' on Vol 3, because of apparent low sales, if more people knew about these releases then maybe they'd sell more.

I don't know if Hunter will ever be released, but they're up to Vol 15 of Homicide now.

And they've just released Vol 10 of Division 4 and Vol 6 of Matlock Police is due on July 1st.

Actually it will be interesting to see what they release after all the Homicides, Division 4s, Matlocks and Sullivans have been released.