Doctor Who Classic Series and DVDs

What's not currently on the box
Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Doctor Who Classic Series and DVDs

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

Someone had to start this one. :-)

a)Does anyone have any information on which DVD The Underwater Menace 2 will be on?

b)Will The Visitation be the last "Special Edition" revisitation?

Thanks
Great News Inside, Chums!

ian b
D-MAC

Re: Doctor Who Classic Series and DVDs

Post by ian b »

a) I'm sure someone does, but they ain't telling just yet.

b) highly likely that it won't be.

Alan Hayes
625 lines

Post by Alan Hayes »

I think the clue to destination of The Underwater Menace is in the question.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Alan Hayes wrote:I think the clue to destination of The Underwater Menace is in the question.
HA!

Now THAT sounds very promising.

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

Beautiful looking artwork for the upcoming release of The Reign of Terror. They'll soon ruin that though. I can't say I'm fond of the overall packaging employed on the DVD releases.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I certainly hope the "Revisitation" sets don't end with "The Visitation", there are a few others that could do with a 'revisit', including "The Green Death".

"The Ark In Space" is my all time favourite "Who" serial, but is the 'Movie version' to be included, the 75 Omnibus repeat, or a new one.?....hopefully the former.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

Both of the Peladon serials could really use a clean up.

Chris Berry
405 lines

Post by Chris Berry »

I'd love them to go back and just re-encode "The Green Death" -- it looked terrible.

John Williams
Committee

Post by John Williams »

Mark wrote:I certainly hope the "Revisitation" sets don't end with "The Visitation", there are a few others that could do with a 'revisit', including "The Green Death".
I think there's a strong likelihood of The Green Death being reissued.
"The Ark In Space" is my all time favourite "Who" serial, but is the 'Movie version' to be included, the 75 Omnibus repeat, or a new one.?....hopefully the former.
It's the former.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

John Williams wrote:
Mark wrote:I certainly hope the "Revisitation" sets don't end with "The Visitation", there are a few others that could do with a 'revisit', including "The Green Death".
I think there's a strong likelihood of The Green Death being reissued.
It's the former.
Ah good, "The Green Death"deserves another go, and hopefully we'll get to hear Jerome Wills's memories on it.

I remember the "Ark In Space" repeat, well, a Wednesday night in August 75, nice to see it included.

625 lines

brigham wrote:
Alan Hayes wrote:I think the clue to destination of The Underwater Menace is in the question.
HA!

Now THAT sounds very promising.
Well count me as clueless then. Unless you mean they're going to dump it in the Thames.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

I took it to mean that 'The Underwater Menace 2' would be on the DVD called 'The Underwater Menace '.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

Chris Berry wrote:I'd love them to go back and just re-encode "The Green Death" -- it looked terrible.
[dir=ltr][/dir]

Your wish is granted. The Green Death has been announced for a special edition release in 2013.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

videoking wrote:
Chris Berry wrote:I'd love them to go back and just re-encode "The Green Death" -- it looked terrible.
[dir=ltr][/dir]
Your wish is granted. The Green Death has been announced for a special edition release in 2013.
Fab..."The Green Death"..at last...with some nice extras on, hopefully.

625 lines

Yes. "The Green Death" has never been released before. There are no people who have already bought the DVD, and are growing rather angry with the way the entire series appears to be released as "Special Editions". How many is that now? Are they already preparing the "Special Editions" of "Ambassadors of Death" and "Reign of Terror", to be released some time in 2014?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It's only the ones that were released before the present format of episodes and extras (Docs and so on) and where the picture can be improved on the original release.

They won't be doing all the range again.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote:Yes. "The Green Death" has never been released before. There are no people who have already bought the DVD, and are growing rather angry with the way the entire series appears to be released as "Special Editions"
AIUI, the special edition re-releases are simply to allow better cleanup and more extras for titles that were released early in the DVD range and missed out on things like transform decoding. The same thing happened with many movies released in the early days of DVD. And of course, nobody is forced to buy any of them.

625 lines

Nobody is forced to buy them. But many fans feel less than overjoyed over something they've already bought being re-released with all the extras. Quite apart from any improvement to picture quality, many of these extras existed when the DVDs were originally released. Even more disgusting is the placing of Galaxy 4:Airlock on The Aztecs "Special Edition". No one is forcing anyone who bought the original to buy the same thing again, but anyone who wants the Galaxy 4 episode can't get it elsewhere.

625 lines

Mark wrote:It's only the ones that were released before the present format of episodes and extras (Docs and so on) and where the picture can be improved on the original release.

They won't be doing all the range again.
They won't be doing all the range again, but how many will they be doing again? It's about 20 now. Considering they've redone "Inferno", there are still at least another dozen they may do again. And by then, they may indeed decide to do Invasion of the Dinosaurs of Ambassadors or Death again....

westward
405 lines

Post by westward »

Having just watched the recently released 'Ambassadors of Death' I'd suggest that should be looked at again. The colour recovered episodes in my opinion should have been treated to some standard saturation reduction before being committed to disc. I ended up turning the colour down on my TV and found them infinitely more watchable (with much less erroneous colour blotching).

FuzEE
405 lines

Post by FuzEE »

I found the G force scene somewhat more ghastly in colour bur otherwise I thought the Ambassadors was a damn good job...but these things are in the eye of the beholder I guess...?

Fuz

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I suppose, there's always elements that can be done better, as the tech improves, and it's probably a case that if it makes a big difference, there's an argument it could be re-released.

It's possible that "Silurians" could be improved, which personally, I wouldn't mind a re-visit, and the same goes for "Invasion Of The Dinosaurs", if Ep 1 could be better ( not that it was bad), but I suppose "The Time Warrior" is unlikely to be re-done, just because one of the credits was missing.

Would love to see, the series, "Moonbase 3", re-done, as the 525 line conversion would be better since it's original release, years ago.

I don't personally mind the "Galaxy 4" episode on "The Aztecs, as, the sooner it's out the better, it will be over a year since it was returned.

I wish "The Underwater Menace" 2, would follow soon after, I don't know if it's delay is due to 1 and 4, being animated, not personally keen on the animations, not my cup of tea.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Don't think it's been mentioned before, but a rather nice extra has been added to the "Terror Of The Zygons" DVD, that was found in November.

A "South Today" report on the filming of the serial, just over 3 mins, but a lovely find nonetheless.

625 lines

westward wrote:Having just watched the recently released 'Ambassadors of Death' I'd suggest that should be looked at again.
Ooh. That was actually a joke on my part. I suppose it's pointless to ask which other stories will get the "Special Edition" treatment?

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

Well, without knowing the Latin for a lot of technical terms I was quite surprised by some aspects of Ambassadors. Those episodes with the spool marks down the sides for instance. Surely they could have been re-framed or painted over? And then without knowing exactly which of the shots were recovered from chroma dots or domestic NTSC recordings I was surprised they didn't tone some of the colour down and make it less energetic.

Tim Scrafton
405 lines

Post by Tim Scrafton »

Recently got the 'Planet of Giants' DVD, and was intrigued at the restoration of the edited script to make a more complete version of this serial. Was the original script actually filmed then junked before broadcast or was it edited before filming? I'm sure they said somewhere on the docu but I missed it! Had a chuckle, as I thought the voice actor playing the part of Hartnell sounded more like Kenneth Waller as old Mr Grace in latter episodes of 'Are You Being Served?' If anyone remembers that!!!

Chris Berry
405 lines

Post by Chris Berry »

Tim Scrafton wrote:Recently got the 'Planet of Giants' DVD, and was intrigued at the restoration of the edited script to make a more complete version of this serial. Was the original script actually filmed then junked before broadcast or was it edited before filming?
They made episode 4 normally, then edited 3 and 4 together before broadcast and junked the unused material. If I remember rightly, the episodes were telerecorded and the edits made on film rather than VT.

Tim Scrafton
405 lines

Post by Tim Scrafton »

Ah thanks for that, thought that was the case.

robinsmith
405 lines

Post by robinsmith »

Giants is a drag at 3 episodes, I still havent managed to get through the fourth. Edge of Destruction is also pretty dull, for me. Anyone else have a story they really can't get through? (Invisible Enemy and Fear Her, are also pretty dire)

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

Frontier in Space. After they'd done a lot of running around and got captured and locked up for about the third time I gave up.