Doctor Who Classic Series and DVDs

What's not currently on the box
Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Re: Doctor Who Classic Series and DVDs

Post by Spiny Norman »

What worries me is that Lister in Red Dwarf has had his appendix out not two, but three times over the course of the series. It makes it hard for me to take the whole show serious any longer.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Brian F
625 lines

Post by Brian F »

Spiny Norman wrote:What worries me is that Lister in Red Dwarf has had his appendix out not two, but three times over the course of the series. It makes it hard for me to take the whole show serious any longer.
Must have been some of those nanobots that reconstructed the Red Dwarf keep putting it back. I hope they got the size right. :-)

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Brian F wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:What worries me is that Lister in Red Dwarf has had his appendix out not two, but three times over the course of the series. It makes it hard for me to take the whole show serious any longer.
Must have been some of those nanobots that reconstructed the Red Dwarf keep putting it back. I hope they got the size right. :-)
Smeg yes, they regenerated his amputated arm too after all. OK, so only the second appendectomy is unexplained.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Razor Eddie
625 lines

Post by Razor Eddie »

This might be of interest

Radio NZ to discuss Dr Who
We have found our Dr Who expert! We'll talk all about the show, its history, characters and impact on Monday 5th March at 2.30pm (new Zealand time)
They usually made items available for listen again, though not sure if those work outside NZ

http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/afternoons

Expert is Paul Scoones http://paulscoones.blogspot.co.nz
Contents may settle after packing.

Callan | The Hanged Man | Turtle's Progress | Kiwi TV

Razor Eddie
625 lines

Post by Razor Eddie »

Contents may settle after packing.

Callan | The Hanged Man | Turtle's Progress | Kiwi TV

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

On a visit to Amazon, to see why my Avengers episode hadn't arrived, I was offered a full Tom Baker series on Blu-Ray.
I haven't heard anything about this new development. Anyone got a clue what it's about?

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

They've redone S12 for a blu-ray release and added a few new extras in. I think it's a trial for potentially doing series releases if it sells well enough.

Duncan
625 lines

Post by Duncan »

brigham wrote:On a visit to Amazon, to see why my Avengers episode hadn't arrived, I was offered a full Tom Baker series on Blu-Ray.
I haven't heard anything about this new development. Anyone got a clue what it's about?
Did you exclaim “Bugger me!” when you saw it?

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Duncan wrote:
brigham wrote:On a visit to Amazon, to see why my Avengers episode hadn't arrived, I was offered a full Tom Baker series on Blu-Ray.
Did you exclaim “Bugger me!” when you saw it?
No, not at all.
Although I distinctly remember thinking "Well, I'll be buggered!".

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

The Wheel In Space DVD is now listed available for pre-order on the US Amazon.
Great News Inside, Chums!

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

So, is there to be a Blu-Ray release?

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Nobody is quite sure of what it realtes to. There is a 10 minute animation of Eps 1 at Misssing Believed Wiped - whether this is a taster and all of the remaining episodes have been done, or the US release relates to the reconstruction type thing isn't clear yet.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

In colour and widescreen ( it seems) and supposedly a potential extra at some point.

Could be a tribute to Graham Strong.

There is supposed to be another entry for a "Macra Terror" release on Amazon.US, but not had a look.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

The Black Nun wrote:I've never seen Marco Polo but I thought the audio was riveting and well and truly worthy of the label classic. I never liked the Hartnel space stories, he seemed ill at ease with them and much more in his element with the historicals. Aside from the first Daleks story and the Master Plan, most of the space serials were dire. The Sensorites or The Space Museum anybody? Or Galaxy Snore or The Chase? No thanks...
I'm just watching Terry Nation's The Chase again and thoroughly enjoying it. Part of it is historical about the Mary Celeste. It seems to me that the good viewing figures at the time, of over nine million, were perhaps partly because only the episode titles came up and, at the end, what was coming next week (only the programme makers of course knew how long the adventure would last).

I was interested to see just when the story names for early Doctor Who came about (following thanks Tardis Wiki) :
"Until The Savages — late into his career as the First Doctor — stories were broadcast not under a serial title, but rather as a series of individually-titled episodes. Thus, when there eventually arose a need to talk of these stories in the context of later serials which only had serial title, they had to be given a retroactive serial title they had never publicly had before. Two particular impetuses for this process were the publications of the first lists of serials, such as The Doctor Who Programme Guide, and the initial BBC Enterprises release of the serials to home video"
So these early story names started, and only probably gradually, being used some time after about 1981. So the whole early programme and not the only later named story had the advantage, for excitement, of being a continuing weekly serial.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Each episode was also a programme it it's own right, as well as part of a serial ( each one had it's own beginning, middle and end).

The 1973 Radio Times Special, used the first episode title for each of the Hartnell serials up to "The Gunfighters", and then ( as you say) from "The Savages", the overall on-screen title.

It's still a mixed bag for some, most call the first two-parter, "The Edge Of Destruction", I still call it "Inside The Spaceship" ( a descriptive working title ) and " 100,000 BC" for the very first serial, even though it's referred to as "An Unearthly Child" usually.

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

" 100,000 BC" is it a sh*t title, it;s understandable why most people reject Howe/Stammers/Walker wankery. Walker is the same silly bunt why complained about Nu Who not accepting the New Adventures as canon (HN/TFOB)

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

DWM uses these titles as well, or at least they have done.

Another title for the first one is "The Tribe Of Gum", although "An Unearthly Child" is a good title, it is the title for the first episode.

"The Mutants" is often used for the first Dalek serial, but that's also a Jon Pertwee serial, I call it "The Daleks", but that's also the title for Episode 2 of "The Dalek Invasion Earth".

Thankfully everyone calls the one-parter by it's on screen title, "Mission To The Unknown", I certainly don't know of anyone referring to it as "Dalek Cutaway".

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

Nyssa: But, Tegan, I'm too old for a clown at my birthday party!

Tegan: Well I'm sorry, Nyssa, but the Doctor can stay if he wants.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

While a lot of Robert Holmes stories are really four-parters followed an immediate two-part sequel, there such a clear delineation between the first broadcast episode and the following three episodes that trying to put a single title on all four defies logic. Better just to refer to An Unearthly Child/That Caveman Bollocks.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:While a lot of Robert Holmes stories are really four-parters followed an immediate two-part sequel, there such a clear delineation between the first broadcast episode and the following three episodes that tryign to put a single title on all four defies logic. Better just to refer to An Unearthly Child/That Caveman Bollocks.
Message from Za:

"Za has FIRE...Nick does not!"

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Mark wrote:
Nick Cooper 625 wrote:While a lot of Robert Holmes stories are really four-parters followed an immediate two-part sequel, there such a clear delineation between the first broadcast episode and the following three episodes that tryign to put a single title on all four defies logic. Better just to refer to An Unearthly Child/That Caveman Bollocks.
Message from Za:

It starts of better than it continues, I have to admit.
It IS, as far as I know, the only example of the Doctor smoking, though.
Captain Baines is in it. Are there any other Onedin Line cross-overs?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

brigham wrote:
Mark wrote:
Message from Za:

It starts of better than it continues, I have to admit.
It IS, as far as I know, the only example of the Doctor smoking, though.
Captain Baines is in it. Are there any other Onedin Line cross-overs?
Only time he smoked, and the only time he tried to kill someone in cold blood, when he tried to bash Za's head in with a rock.

He did wack the road works overseer over the head with a shovel in "The Reign Of Terror", but only to escape, and he killed Shockeye with cyanide in "The Two Doctors", but that was in self defence.

As for "The Onedin Line", Peter Gilmore was in "Frontios" with Peter Davison in 1984.

Duncan
625 lines

Post by Duncan »

Tom Adams was in Warriors of the Deep in 1984, and James Garbott (sp?) was in Genesis of the Daleks.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Oh yes, James Garbutt, poor old Ronson!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I see "The Macra Terror" animation has been announced, I was going to mention a couple of things about the serial that no one seems to know about, but looking at some of the animated frames from the story, it looks like a lot more liberties have been taken with it, so accuracy seems unimportant now anyway, aiming them at nu-who fans by the look of it.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Mark wrote:(...), so accuracy seems unimportant now anyway, aiming them at nu-who fans by the look of it.
In which case, I wonder if they will keep the creaky old soundtrack?

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

gentle reminder that BBC blu-rays and DVDs have to be commercially viable and that means they have to be presented in a way to appeal to the broadest audience possible... and not a bunch of purist saddoes who may have gotten William Hartnell's autograph on the back of a ciggy packet.

Duncan
625 lines

Post by Duncan »

Nicely put :)

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

No actually, not nicely put, resorting to insults is no argument, it just kills it stone dead.