Doctor Who Classic Series and DVDs

What's not currently on the box
Mickey
625 lines

Re: Doctor Who Classic Series and DVDs

Post by Mickey »

Just finished watching "Reign Of Terror". It's an interesting release. I love the story, and although my favourite Who adventure tends to change with the weather, this one is always somewhere up at the top of the list. The animation is a bit odd, though. Lots of sudden, zooming close ups of eyes and mouths, which is a bit jarring against the usual style; and then, in a very odd contrast to those zippy bits, the action scenes are all in slow motion. Mind you, on the plus side, Animated Ian has rather splendid hair. ;) Strange that the sound quality is so different for those two episodes, as well. I had to turn the volume right up. Still, it's a vast improvement on not having the episodes at all, and I'd be glad to see them trying it again (like with "The Crusade", hint hint). It would be great to see "Fury From The Deep" some time too. It had one of the better Target novelisations, and I've always been fond of it.

Not perfect then, but appreciated. If these episodes will insist on still being lost, I'm happy to have them this way instead.

SteveBoyce
405 lines

Post by SteveBoyce »

billo wrote:well they would....because THEY are 'sad and clueless'.....

and have, it seems, been 'brainwashed' by the media people of today who lead them by the nose & convince them ONLY modern colour TV is worth watching - something they appear to accept without question...

hence all the dumbed down claptrap and reality TV nonsense, plus talentless plonkers who we are told are 'celebs' being endlessly inflicted on us ....
No I think people really dont want to watch b&w. Just like when I was a kid, decades ago, I didnt want to watch silents (though now I do). Nothing to do with media people.
Funnily, i get a much bigger negative mental impact watching 4:3 instead of 16:9 than I do from watching b&w instead of colour.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

There's a stigma to B&W television which never applied to the cinema. It must be a folk-memory by now, but still it persists. Even the words 'Colour TV' remained in use as a product description right until the 'television set' as we knew it was replaced by the 'flatscreen'.

A similar situation seems to exist when non-widescreen material appears, although the perception of it is subtly different; rather than see the picture as the 'old, narrow type', it is perceived to be perfectly fine, but there are 'two black bars down the sides'. The bars, not the narrowness, are the problem.

gallifreyan
405 lines

Post by gallifreyan »

brigham wrote:A similar situation seems to exist when non-widescreen material appears, although the perception of it is subtly different; rather than see the picture as the 'old, narrow type', it is perceived to be perfectly fine, but there are 'two black bars down the sides'. The bars, not the narrowness, are the problem.
Tho considering the amount of people who, so we are lead to believe, watch 4:3 in panorama mode, it's probably less of a problem.

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

There is a short clip of the animated Ice Warriors available now for those that might be interested. More akin to that of The Invasion than Reign, I feel. I like it myself. It's not too fussy and doesn't detract from the story. Even if it does look a bit Scooby Doo'ish.

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

More animation. Tenth Planet this time.

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/artic ... mated-clip

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

Who was talking about scripts that never made it to the screen?

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Doctor-scri ... z2NXqBnmQI

The Wooksta!
405 lines

Post by The Wooksta! »

Comments in another thread but...

The Masters of Luxor is famed as being 'one that got away', although apparently David Whitaker kept trying to get it made for some time whilst he was script editor. We've had the script book, Big Finish has recently made it as an audio play* (with William Russell and Carole Ann Ford) and there's a fan adaptation on the Tube of You.

Still, original writer's drafts are always worth seeing - the alternate An Unearthly Child versions sound interesting. That they've surviuved at all is a small miracle in itself.

*I've got it but like the many Big Finish audios I own, I've yet to listen to it.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

I'm surprised GarethR hasn't appeared to say how he's never understood how anyone can like the works of David Whittaker and/or Big Finish, and that he's always found them overrated.

While I'm very glad these scripts have emerged, I've never really been one for reading scripts, as such for entertainment purposes.

Since the Classic Series DVD range appears to be nearing completion, what's next for the RT? A third go at Tomb of the Cybermen? A "Special Edition" of K9 and Company?
Great News Inside, Chums!

SDG1970
405 lines

Post by SDG1970 »

I picked up 'Revelation of the Daleks' at a charity shop in Canterbury a couple of days ago for 99p (DVD). I really enjoyed 'Terry Molloy's' Davros and that's about all I can say. Alexei Sayle's inclusion injected a certain 'Carnival' effect, but the general 'Dalek menace' was denegrated by the mid-80's colour and vigour. Saward though, seemed to take the piss out of JNT's version of the Doctor!?! Colin Baker would have been better used as 'Bayban the Destroyer' or whatever his Blake's Seven character was.........I jest of course, for 99p it was great fun!! (I think!??!). Why a two-parter though?? Should of been at least three..

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote:
While I'm very glad these scripts have emerged, I've never really been one for reading scripts, as such for entertainment purposes.
Very useful for discovering early ideas, and elements changed to what eventually appeared, fascinating stuff, in any TV series.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

625 lines

Does anyone have any idea what the "Regeneration" item listed on Amazon is? Looks like some sort of box set?

Alice80
405 lines

Post by Alice80 »

Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote:Does anyone have any idea what the "Regeneration" item listed on Amazon is? Looks like some sort of box set?
I've been puzzling over that one...it's expensive as well...

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

Isn't it just like a holding title for some sort of anniversary package? That would be my guess.

deltavega
405 lines

Post by deltavega »

Apparently BBC America are showing 11 documentaries up to November with a one hour programme per month on each of the doctors with the first 4 being issued on dvd in the US in June . Perhaps these are part of the boxset in question . With 4 out on dvd in the US it would be odd if they didn't appear on dvd in the UK at some point .

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

The BBC America programmes are only 30 mins followed by a classic story. They're very basic talking head type things, primarily David Tennant and Steven Moffat, and so far there's been DW1- Aztecs / DW2 - Tomb of the Cybermen / DW3 - Spearhead from Space. It might be that then use these with the accompanying episode (in actual fact they'd need editing otherwise, as Steven Moffat does an description / introduction at the end of each documentary to set up the story), but that would make quite a lot of material.

deltavega
405 lines

Post by deltavega »

Even at 30 minutes I would expect a UK dvd release if there is a US one

dprisoner
405 lines

Post by dprisoner »

It was confirmed today that the BBCAmerica DW Revisited disc set will also include the episodes from each of the first four documentaries (Aztecs/Tomb/Spearhead/Pyramids) So, basically, I'll have to skip this - unless they can be bothered to release the documentaries on their own...

625 lines

I honestly have no interest in buying these "documentary" style DVDs. The ones on the Main Range are irritating enough.

625 lines

More intrigue as the "Regeneration" box set has now been pulled from the schedule. We will never know what it was now.

http://www.bva.org.uk/node/2035979

deltavega
405 lines

Post by deltavega »

Looks like animation may fill the gaps for the release of The Moonbase this year too.

Billy
405 lines

Post by Billy »

Perhaps the boxset was collecting all recent missing+animation stories (Reign, Tenth Planet, Ice Warriors, Moonbase, possibly Underwater Menace) but maybe a couple of them aren't ready yet? It would fit with the name, they've 'regenerated' the stories plus it includes a regeneration story. Extras could have involved animated clips from completely missing stories (Power of the Daleks etc). But that's just my speculation :p

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote:More intrigue as the "Regeneration" box set has now been pulled from the schedule. We will never know what it was now
If you've read the right thread on the right forum, you already know what it was.

robinsmith
405 lines

Post by robinsmith »

Interesting reconstruction of Galaxy 4 on The Aztecs: Special Edition, and great to see a previously missing episode, however the story is quite slight, and really is an example of bad Doctor Who...very very dull

The Wooksta!
405 lines

Post by The Wooksta! »

Personally, I loved it. Yes, it is a little on the light side and padded but then I'm looking at it through more modern eyes, By the standards of the time, there's nothing really wrong with it. The only Hartnell that I'd say is bad is The Chase, which is dreadful rubbish.

My own feeling is that, as with Tomb of the Cybermen, missing stories are built up in the imagination and fan hype, and then you get to see them if they're lucky enough to be recovered and they're dreadful hoary old rubbish. I certainly felt that way about Tomb - I felt cheated.

But then again, Galaxy 4 was largely a recon. The actual episode itself I thought had a lot of charm.

I haven't seen many recons, apart from two episodes of The Invasion and the Loose Cannon version of Mission to the Unknown. The former worked quite well but the latter really dragged. I was lucky enough to catch the Ian Levine sponsored animated version on a certain site before it vanished. The animation could have been better but it wasn't that bad. The story itself... Juvenile garbage. The animation only served to hammer home how childish it was.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

spflog1
625 lines

Post by spflog1 »

The Wooksta! wrote: My own feeling is that, as with Tomb of the Cybermen, missing stories are built up in the imagination and fan hype, and then you get to see them if they're lucky enough to be recovered and they're dreadful hoary old rubbish. I certainly felt that way about Tomb - I felt cheated.
Aside from a couple of very brief production flaws involving the obvious use of fly ropes and also a plainly empty cybercontroller suit being thrown, the only real issue I have with Tomb is the extremely dated characterisations of Kaftan and Toberman. The whole mistress and servant thing seems out of place for sci-fi set in the far future, being far more akin to Arabian Nights.

But those are very minor quibbles. I find Tomb extremely enjoyable and it certainly wasn't a disappointment at all on first viewing. It more than lived up to all the hype. The defrosting scene is one of the finest and most effective moments in the show's entire history and that "You belong to us - You shall be like us" part is downright chilling.

I wasn't aware that Galaxy 4 was shoved on The Aztecs: Special Edition. Like many, I imagine, I've now found the only reason to buy it!

625 lines

GarethR wrote:
Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote:More intrigue as the "Regeneration" box set has now been pulled from the schedule. We will never know what it was now
If you've read the right thread on the right forum, you already know what it was.
That's not really that helpful, is it?

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Puts us in our place, though, doesn't it?

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

brigham wrote:Puts us in our place, though, doesn't it?
What are you talking about? I had no idea what it was either. Then I found out that what had been posted about it on one of the biggest Doctor Who forums was correct.

My point is, the information about what it was *is* in the public domain.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

To save people hunting around the set contains vanilla versions of :

THE TENTH PLANET, THE WAR GAMES, PLANET OF THE SPIDERS, LOGOPOLIS, THE CAVES OF ANDROZANI, TIME AND THE RANI, DOCTOR WHO THE MOVIE, BAD WOLF AND THE PARTING OF THE WAYS and THE END OF TIME

The thing which seems to be upsetting some people is that The Tenth Planet with reconstructed animation for Eps 4 appears here before the official whistle and bells release.