Doctor Who Classic Series and DVDs

What's not currently on the box
The Black Nun
625 lines

Re: Doctor Who Classic Series and DVDs

Post by The Black Nun »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
JWG wrote: Apparently,releases of category 'B' finds i.e. non-Who are on their way.Phil Morris said that he was never asked about this category.
Wasn't the story that Cat B was stuff Morris thought worthless and was willing to return it for "free," but Cat C was stuff he thought was valuable, but they BBC wouldn't "pay" for? If it really does amount to the rumoured 60-70,000 films, you can see that the BBC/BBCW would want to be selective. Worldwide are only interested in stuff they can resell, but for the Corporation proper the sudden added responsibility of so much "new" material would upset the archiving/conservation budgets a bit.

Either is potentially far more interesting than the odd episode of Dr Who, if that "angle" is actually true, although potential finds are obviously limited to what was appealing to overseas markets. It would be a bit of a bugger if turned out to include some previously missing Out of the Unknown or Adam Adamant Lives! episodes.
Phil said that he isn't paid to recover the episodes and that any BBC films go back to them (non film material like semi professional/amateur tapes is restored at TIEA). He also said that Worldwide is fully up to speed with "The Project" as he seems to call it. Since it seems reasonably certain the recovered BBC prints are not in the official archive they must be being stored somewhere else at the BBC, either at Worldwide or off-site somewhere.

I think the "Category A/B/C" stuff was just made-up Omnibollocks wasn't it? It wouldn't surprise me one bit if nearly all of the 70 000 rumoured films/tapes were nothing to do with the BBC or ITV. Phil said there were no BBC films whatsoever in Zambia and that is where the big shipping container came from. So they were probably all just Zambian stuff they wanted transferred.

My guess (and that is all it is) is that he's found a modest amount of lost tv, possibly a couple of hundred cans of which maybe well get one or two DW stories and a few other things. Someone asked him about Not Only But Also and he gave a very coy answer so I'm assuming that will be one of them.

Since he could easily have quashed any rumours about DW right there, he must have found something but either they are odd episodes and he wants to find the rest or they are still languishing overseas and he can't get them out. If he had complete stories there would be no secrets to protect. We would have them by now. Or maybe he has zip and just feels very confident of finding more. When asked if he was more confident of finding episodes now than five years ago he answered "yes" without missing a beat and alluded to the junkings not being what people assumed. But he also said all the overseas archives had been searched, so it is very difficult to reconcile those two statements. Wherever this material is he seems confident of finding, it is not where everybody is expecting it would be. In private collections, perhaps? He did say he spoke to one collector who had bought DW in 1974.

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

BN,
Once upon a time,we'd have been quite happy with the return of several hundred shows-I certainly would be.It seems unlikely that there are thousands,not least because there'd surely have been an attempt to defray the cost of collecting and storing the things.
PM discovered the internal-bicycling systems.We can never seem able to say we know all we can about the distribution methods.He does seem to be emphasising private collections now-remember that UM and G4 turned up at a dwelling in darkest Hampshire.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

"The Face Of Evil" gets a repeat on BBC Four (28/29th Dec)....splendid.!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

According to Radio Times it was chosen for being a story originally shown wrapped around Christmas time (1976 in this case).

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

ctraynor wrote:According to Radio Times it was chosen for being a story originally shown wrapped around Christmas time (1976 in this case).
Yes...it started on New Years Day 1977, I remember it well, the other highlight for me was later on ITV, with the New Year episode of "The Fosters" and an appearance of Irene Handl.

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

The Wooksta! wrote:... The only Hartnell that I'd say is bad is The Chase, which is dreadful rubbish..
I just finished watching The Chase again a couple of episodes at a time and there's a lot I like:
- In episode one the time-travel TV makes everybody think quickly what they want to see (I'd like to see Julius Caesar and, as he wrote, watch him "responding to trouble in 'Gaul' at a moments notice").
- These early Daleks have an urgency and Spock-like logic about them. The Doctor recognises that they are gaining on him which makes him seem vulnerable for a while. That's an exciting bit surely, even if one has a cockney accent.
- The mystery of The Mary Celeste remains, or is it solved?
- The voices of the robots on Mechanus are pretty futuristic which makes them, mentally at least (if not physically great by todays TV), seem quite realistic.
- Escaping the city with the same trust as a team of climbers has
- When Ian and Barbara leave I love the stills of them returning home. Barbara is really happy, but there were a few times when she was away that she enjoyed too.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

You've tipped me into what-might-have-been land again. If only the second Dalek movie had been successful enough (and it might have been if the poster had featured the Daleks centre stage instead of on the sidelines).... a third one, Dr Who vs the Daleks (based on The Chase). Sigh. Anyway, back to the real world.

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

Do you really think that a poster has that much sway over a potential audience? Would a picture of a Dalek attract cinema goers more than the title "The Dalek Invasion Of Earth"? That's a pretty good indication that there's going to be Daleks involved, after all.

Must admit, I didn't think that the second film was as good as the first. I appreciate the less comedic aspects - they played up the comedy far too much in the first one for my liking - but I never bought Bernard Cribbins as the action lead. I thought Roy Castle did that better, even being saddled with so many prat falls. I understand that he wasn't available for the second film, but it's a shame thayt they couldn't have got somebody else. I like Cribbins, don't get me wrong, but not in that role.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

Mickey wrote:Do you really think that a poster has that much sway over a potential audience? Would a picture of a Dalek attract cinema goers more than the title "The Dalek Invasion Of Earth"? That's a pretty good indication that there's going to be Daleks involved, after all.
Well it's a theory. They used to say a picture tells a thousand words. It may even be the reason why Dr Who (in an exciting adventure with the Daleks) by David Whitaker wasn't very successful in the 60s, but WAS very successful when republished with a couple of Daleks on the front cover by Target in the 70s.

I've sometimes thought the same issue of the right poster applied to a film I like, Battle of Britain. It was one of the biggest films of the year in the UK, just behind the James Bond film, I gather. But because it was so expensive it really needed to do well in America and it clearly wasn't the kind of thing the mass US audience wanted to know about. But it might have stood more of a chance with a US poster focusing on Christopher Plummer (still famous then for The Sound of Music) and his on-screen wife Susannah York. No jokes about bursting into song, please. Oh, go on then...

spflog1
625 lines

Post by spflog1 »

ctraynor wrote:
Mickey wrote:Do you really think that a poster has that much sway over a potential audience? Would a picture of a Dalek attract cinema goers more than the title "The Dalek Invasion Of Earth"? That's a pretty good indication that there's going to be Daleks involved, after all.
Well it's a theory. They used to say a picture tells a thousand words. It may even be the reason why Dr Who (in an exciting adventure with the Daleks) by David Whitaker wasn't very successful in the 60s, but WAS very successful when republished with a couple of Daleks on the front cover by Target in the 70s.

I've sometimes thought the same issue of the right poster applied to a film I like, Battle of Britain. It was one of the biggest films of the year in the UK, just behind the James Bond film, I gather. But because it was so expensive it really needed to do well in America and it clearly wasn't the kind of thing the mass US audience wanted to know about. But it might have stood more of a chance with a US poster focusing on Christopher Plummer (still famous then for The Sound of Music) and his on-screen wife Susannah York. No jokes about bursting into song, please. Oh, go on then...
And what a cover too! Those Chris Achilleos cover artist editions of the Target range were absolutely gorgeous. It really irritated me when they started republishing them with different covers.

I actually think the poster for the 'Daleks – Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D.' film was pretty marvellous; very visually exciting. It was the films themselves which were a let-down. Frankly, I can't bear watching them.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

spflog1 wrote: ...It was the films themselves which were a let-down. Frankly, I can't bear watching them.
I remember sitting through the first one wondering when the real Who would appear and expose the impostor!

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

I thought the actual poster for Daleks' Invasion Earth was good too, but what's important for the box office is what's going to grab the more casual viewer. They could have had just as dramatic a poster with the Daleks more prominent. Ditto my feelings about the Armada paperback (2'6!) of David Whitaker's Daleks novel. The front and back covers were fine by me, but no Daleks for a book about the Daleks?

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

videoking wrote:Has anyone here seen the animated version of this lost episode produced by Phillip Levine?
Or Ian Morris? ;)
It has circulated, that I know. As has the half animated Shada.
This is nøt å signåture.™

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

It's on YouTube - not exactly hard to find! - I searched for "Doctor Who Mission to the Unknown" and it was on the top of the list.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Spiny Norman wrote:
videoking wrote:Has anyone here seen the animated version of this lost episode produced by Phillip Levine?
Or Ian Morris? ;)
Yes, I finally got to see the animated "Shada" recon (not a fan of animated recons) but this one really worked and was excellent, the animation itself wasn't too bad for a semi-pro effort and the Baker impression was okay too.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

BBC South Today recently unearthed a wonderful news item on the 'Goodwood' festival from 1974, featuring the lovely ( and deeply missed) Elisabeth Sladen, four Daleks, ( two of which are BBC ones) a giant Spider and the Whomobile ( Aggedor was there too, but is not in the clip).

The soundtrack to the whole mini-scenario ( which includes the voice of Jon Pertwee, not present at the event) was included on one of the "Doctor Who At The BBC" CD's and I had always hoped some form of visuals would turn up, there must be some pics somewhere too, I would have thought.

It's lovely to see, anyway, and can be found here.

Goodwood 74

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Mark wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:
Or Ian Morris? ;)
Yes, I finally got to see the animated "Shada" recon (not a fan of animated recons) but this one really worked and was excellent, the animation itself wasn't too bad for a semi-pro effort and the Baker impression was okay too.
Did you see the 'long' original version that Ian just let go on and on (particularly Eps. 6) or the fan edited one where the episodes were trimmed down to something equating to the usual running times?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Mark wrote:
drmih wrote:Did you see the 'long' original version that Ian just let go on and on (particularly Eps. 6) or the fan edited one where the episodes were trimmed down to something equating to the usual running times?
It was the fan edited one, which, I take it, from your remark, is the better of the two?

Although, I did notice at least one filmed shot, that seemed to be missing, it was the shot of The Doctor, Romana, K9 and Bristol walking up the ramp into Skagra's invisible ship.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Interesting thread on missing episodes site about the Christmas omnibus editions.

With mention of the audios that survive of wiped editions, would love to know if anyone did "Planet Of the Spiders", though ( I didn't sadly) although it exists in the archive, the trail that followed it ( for "Robot") doesn't, but it would be on an audio though.

I audio recorded some of them, including the 1974 "Sea Devils" repeat, I noticed Richard Bignell mentioning he put together a version of the omnibus from the audio recording ( which I always fancied having a go at) but getting it to the 88 min duration is obviously tricky using basic editing.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

I just picked up the Power of The Daleks blu ray and I will say something that is probably sacrilege to Classic Who purists. I absoulutely loved the colorized version.
Normally I had altering the original material to color as I'm a purist but to me, the animated black and white version was missing something while the color rounded it out and made the presentation whole and much more enjoyable.

The Black Nun
625 lines

Post by The Black Nun »

I can honestly say I will never watch POTD again. I'm glad I bought it, it was nice to see. But it's not real Dr Who.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

The Black Nun wrote:I can honestly say I will never watch POTD again. I'm glad I bought it, it was nice to see. But it's not real Dr Who.
Since the original no longer exists it's probably the closest we will ever get to the original serial.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

After seeing the color "Power" I wish they would do color animations of all of the missing stories.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

videoking wrote:
The Black Nun wrote:I can honestly say I will never watch POTD again. I'm glad I bought it, it was nice to see. But it's not real Dr Who.
Since the original no longer exists it's probably the closest we will ever get to the original serial.
I would say the Telesnap recon was the closest to the original, as they are actual images from the serial.

More interested in the extras than the animation to be honest.

Ronco
625 lines

Post by Ronco »

Hi,
Looking back at the Colin Baker era, can anyone think of any other actor or actress in any TV series that were ousted or sacked under the directive of the heads of the company?

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Ronco wrote:Hi,
Looking back at the Colin Baker era, can anyone think of any other actor or actress in any TV series that were ousted or sacked under the directive of the heads of the company?
It's obviously going off topic but depending on how you describe 'head' (Michael Grade was Controller of BBC 1 not the company), but there are lots of examples in US tv where actors have either fallen out of favour, or crossed a line and been released e.g. Two and a Half Men, Grey's Anatomy.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

As far as I am aware, Grade had the power to do it, but none of his predecessors had actually exercised that power.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

There is more than a suggestion that the latest serial to get the animation treatment is "Shada".

Not a fan of "Who" animations per se, but have always thought that "Shada" was an obvious one to do, I have always liked the serial and it has always been a source of frustration that it was never completed.

I would be pleased to see this one, but will it blend existing footage with animation, or be completely animated.?, I hope it's the former and I would also hope it didn't take any liberties with the visuals, ( as "Power" did), so we can see it as it would have looked.

Having seen ( and very much enjoyed) the Levine version, I hope it takes a similar approach, and sticks to the script and planned visuals, for that crucial 'BBC 1979 vibe'.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

If they are going to invest in animating 6 episodes I'd rather have something that hasn't already had a pretty significant release (or two if you include the vhs). I'm more than happy with Ian's and a bit of imagination regarding its short comings. EotD would be a good companion piece to Power.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I would have been more than happy with the levene version, if it had been on the DVD ( which obviously it wasn't for a variety of reasons) and therefore another disappointment in the "Shada" saga, so I am pleased with this choice.

Perhaps they could do both the complete animation version and one which marries existing footage with animation ( either through branching or better still, two separate discs).

Personally speaking, with "EOTD" (or any of the others) I would be more interested in the extras, as with "Power".