Doctor Who Classic Series and DVDs

What's not currently on the box
Duncan
625 lines

Re: Doctor Who Classic Series and DVDs

Post by Duncan »

I’m afraid that those of us who have never been branded Ian’s “new best friend” can only go by his public behaviour...

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Duncan wrote:I’m afraid that those of us who have never been branded Ian’s “new best friend” can only go by his public behaviour...
Oh, is that me? I don't remember saying he was a friend, just that I prefer to judge people on how I find them rather than from afar. Obviously he must have grievously hurt some of the folks on here to drive you to be so critical:)

Anyway, back on topic, I've now watched the whole thing and it holds together ok, although it's still a poor story, fitting for Season 17 (how did City of Death buck the trend?). I think that if it had been episodic I'd have probably given up after a few episodes, so I got to see the rather strange ending. You can tell it's a fan thing when a person lying on the floor for a few seconds gets a full credit as a body double! I also thought that the score was a bit repetitive and became a bit jarring, but worth doing for completeness - was there a working score from the time or was it created from scratch?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

No score from the time, I haven't heard the new score obviously, but Simpson would never have been repetitive.

As for episodic, still would have been nice to have had a choice though.

"Shada" was, like "City Of Death", a Williams/Adams combo, but it was a rushed effort, which Adams was never all that happy with, he tried to get new writers for s17, but no one seemed in tune with what was wanted, so it ended up with the usual suspects ( not that there was anything wrong with that) Anthony Read was a smashing writer.

It might not be classic, but I have always liked it, a lot of fun and perhaps a fitting conclusion to the 'silly' period of the series.

Chronotis; "B..B"

Doctor: "C..?"
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

One of the suggested options at the time was to make a feature-length special out of it, or so I believe.

The Lurker In The Shadows
405 lines

Post by The Lurker In The Shadows »

drmih wrote:You can tell it's a fan thing when a person lying on the floor for a few seconds gets a full credit as a body double!
The body doubles also shot action footage to give the animators reference material to work from for movements in certain scenes, so Tom's body double did a little bit more than a few seconds under the console. Daniel Hill was his own body double, if such a thing is possible, for animation reference purposes.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

brigham wrote:One of the suggested options at the time was to make a feature-length special out of it, or so I believe.
Yes, sort of, JNT tried to get one studio block to try to do an abridged version of the story, but that fell through.

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

Just finished watching Pirate Planet, the 2nd instalment in the Key To Time. Interesting overall plot, but a bit confusing in the execution. Also whilst I enjoyed the Pirate Captain's rants 'by the great Partot of Hades you shall pay with the last drop of your blood!' it was perhaps a little too overplayed (plus the killer parrot was a bit silly). I would give this a score of 5 out of 10.

On a side note, I notice in the intros when Tom's face appears he isn't grinning. Does he do this randomly, or did he start (or stop) doing it after a certain season? Is there any knd of interesting story behind this?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

marsey wrote:Just finished watching Pirate Planet, the 2nd instalment in the Key To Time. Interesting overall plot, but a bit confusing in the execution. Also whilst I enjoyed the Pirate Captain's rants 'by the great Partot of Hades you shall pay with the last drop of your blood!' it was perhaps a little too overplayed (plus the killer parrot was a bit silly). I would give this a score of 5 out of 10.

On a side note, I notice in the intros when Tom's face appears he isn't grinning. Does he do this randomly, or did he start (or stop) doing it after a certain season? Is there any knd of interesting story behind this?
No, the same (non grinning) picture was used from season 12 to 17, but for season 18 in 1980, a new photo was used, along with new titles, because Tom Baker had obviously changed a bit during that time, the original was taken in 74

It's a 10 out of 10 for "Pirate Planet", for me, an absolute classic, Bruce Purchase was spot on in his performance of The Captain, and I love the Polyphase Avatron, especially the fight with K9...!

It's classic Adams, and the dialogue is superb, if only they could write that well now.

Captain: "You dare to lay the rotting fruits of your own incompetence at my door..?"

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

Thanks for the info, much prefer his grinning demeanor!

Having today off, I decided to watch the 3rd in the series, Stones of Blood. Now this is more like it, with some excellent acting (esp. Beatrix) and a strong storyline. In fact it's more like two stories with the 'Children of the Stones' spookyness of the first two episodes followed by the sci-fi comedic second two. I say comedic as the Megara are comedic genius, and I loved the way that Tom whips a barrister's wig out of his pocket in order to defend himself.

At first I was a little unsure as to the magically moving stones that can suddenly leap up on you, but I decided to suspend my disbelief and ended up thoroughly enjoying this instalment 10/10.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

"Stones Of Blood" had a great atmosphere, very spooky, Beatrix Lehmann was an excellent Actress and a much admired person, loved the bit where she is somewhat tediously comparing the various surveys, while The Doctor looks on with a pained expression on his face!

The Megara were a great idea and very amusing with their legal jargon, and of course the chilling scene with the demise of the two campers.

Darrol Blake directing and opting to use OB for the exteriors, a fitting 100th story.

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

Have now completed Androids of Tara, which is obviously heavily referenced by 'Prisoner of Zenda' (even the Doctor himself says that the plan to substitute the Prince for his coronation says he has heard of it being done before!) Wonderfully villainous performance by Peter Jeffrey and an enjoyable historical romp. I must say that the overall arc of the 'Key of Time' just doesn't seem to be working in the four stories so far, with the only real reference being the pieces of the key. No intervention from other parties involved in competing for the parts, and although this may happen in parts 5 and 6 , it feels like somewhat of a wasted opportunity. I was expecting some Belor-like character chasing them through time and space denying them the Nidus (as from Into the Labyrinth) but nope.

Still enjoying the series, but in all honesty none of the episodes so far is near the height of Baker's who (I'm thinking Face of Evil, Fang Rock, Talons, Pyramids of Mars , Destiny of the Daleks etc). But enjoying them in respect of the fact that I've never seen any of these episodes before.

Androids gets a 7 out of 10 from me.

spflog1
625 lines

Post by spflog1 »

marsey wrote: the height of Baker's who (I'm thinking Face of Evil, Fang Rock, Talons, Pyramids of Mars , Destiny of the Daleks etc).
Is that a typo? Did you mean Genesis of the Daleks instead? If not... well, that's the first time I've ever heard praise for Destiny of the Daleks! All stories have their fans though, I guess. I'm rather partial to The Dominators myself, another story which doesn't get much love.

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

spflog1 wrote:
marsey wrote: the height of Baker's who (I'm thinking Face of Evil, Fang Rock, Talons, Pyramids of Mars , Destiny of the Daleks etc).
Is that a typo? Did you mean Genesis of the Daleks instead? If not... well, that's the first time I've ever heard praise for Destiny of the Daleks! All stories have their fans though, I guess. I'm rather partial to The Dominators myself, another story which doesn't get much love.

Genesis is also excellent, but Destiny is one of my earliest memories of Who , and has stuck with me. The cliffhanger with the reawakening of Davros is (for me) probably the best , most memorable, cliffhanger in the whole of Who. Plus Tom is on fine form in this series.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

"Destiny" was the first 'New' story I recorded on Video ( after the "Pirate"/"Androids" repeats), it has it's plus points, and minus ones., the superb fight sequence between Romana and Sharrel, the lacklustre extras, and the odd decision to use only a couple of minutes of Dudley Simpson's music.

Great model work though, the use of Quantel to create the neg picture around the various victims, and the first use of Steadicam on the series.

"Androids" was a great story, an amusing script, great cast and excellent location, the umbrella theme of the Key to Time was really just meant to link the six stories together, and give purpose to them, rather than six random tales, it was an interesting experiment.

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

Well, just finished off the Key to Time series, and The Armageddon Factor was a good send off. It's quite clear that the influence of Adam's ideas and humour are coming through. Whilst there are a number of good storylines and some memorable characters (Drax was very good, shame he didn't crop up again), it never hit the heights of the most memorable series.

Some great extras on the DVDs, the 'Late Night Stories' by Tom being an interesting bonus.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, Drax was great, a smashing performance from Barry Jackson, loved the idea of expressing himself with his hand movements.

The one critique that usually gets mentioned is the rather rushed conclusion to the theme, but considering all the problems they had, especially on the finale, it was okay.

As you say, a good set of extras, I Audio taped those short stories at the time, so it was nice to get them on the DVD set.

One other thing I remember, is the strike that blanked out the screens on the Beeb, just before Xmas, and constantly checking to see if it was back on in time for the start of "Kroll", it ended on the Friday, just in time.

Always liked "Kroll", the superb and unusual location really gave it the look of an alien world.

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

I finally got around to watching the new Shada 'DVD'.

I was very disappointed. The lack of actual episodes was a mistake. The animation is pretty poor at times. And, the scene at the end, while pleasing some fans, should have been a DVD extra, rather than part of the main feature. I wonder if this has created an argument about continuity on other forums?

Having already bought the 'The Legacy' box set, I was truly hoping that this one could justify the double dip. As it is, this release was sloppily done. Although I'm sure they've sold enough copies to not really care that much about people feeling fleeced...
Great News Inside, Chums!

Duncan
625 lines

Post by Duncan »

Anyone grumbling about continuity re Tom’s new scene should quite frankly be pitied.

625 lines

Duncan wrote:Anyone grumbling about continuity re Tom’s new scene should quite frankly be pitied.
Well, only Doctor Who fans could come up with something like the ridiculous "Season 6B", because Patrick Troughton had dared to age between 1969 and 1983.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Duncan wrote:Anyone grumbling about continuity re Tom’s new scene should quite frankly be pitied.
Anyone grumbling about continuity in Dr. Who will have plenty to grumble about.
Even a Watchtower Bible Student couldn't make a coherent story of it.

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

Paul Cornell et al mention that the Third Doctor uses his watch to trace the TARDIS in Spearhead from Space, but the Second Doctor doesn't wear it as proof for Season 6 (b).

gallifreyan
405 lines

Post by gallifreyan »

Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote:
Well, only Doctor Who fans could come up with something like the ridiculous "Season 6B", because Patrick Troughton had dared to age between 1969 and 1983.
Given that suddenly the 2nd Dr who is being sent on missions by the Time Lords, & discussing it with Jamie, when he pops up in The Two Doctors, which certainly wasn't the case between '66 & '69, it's less of a ridiculous idea & more of a nifty way of ironing out a cock-up introduced by the writer, the script editor & any passing unofficial continuity advisor.

625 lines

gallifreyan wrote:
Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote:
Given that suddenly the 2nd Dr who is being sent on missions by the Time Lords, & discussing it with Jamie, when he pops up in The Two Doctors, which certainly wasn't the case between '66 & '69, it's less of a ridiculous idea & more of a nifty way of ironing out a cock-up introduced by the writer, the script editor & any passing unofficial continuity advisor.
Not to get into THAT discussion, but there are far greater continuity problems with the First and Third Doctors in The Three Doctors/The Five Doctors.

Another reason I really do not care for 'Season 6B' is the emotional impact of the last episode of The War Games. Zoe and Jamie are returned to their own times and places, with all memories of their travels with the Doctor being erased. Jamie will not even remember Victoria or Zoe. And then the moving end of the Second Doctor. Not to mention, how this was the end of an era in several real-world ways as well.

Only for people decades after the event to declare "And then after that he became a Secret Agent for the Time Lords! Oh, and Jamie came back too!" It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

gallifreyan
405 lines

Post by gallifreyan »

Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote:there are far greater continuity problems with the First and Third Doctors in The Three Doctors/The Five Doctors.
Go on...

Duncan
625 lines

Post by Duncan »

Just ignore it all - its madness to try and reconcile continuity.

gallifreyan
405 lines

Post by gallifreyan »

By & large I do. But I'm intrigued by this whole Hurndall 'n' Tweepears problem thing :)

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I must admit, it is a bit of a waste of time!

Having said that, I should point out that Jamie didn't 'come back' in "Two Doctors", as Victoria was mentioned, so he was from the time, and as the CIA (Celestial Intervention Agency) was mentioned in "Deadly Assassin", he could have been an occasional agent for a different department, before the CIA caught up with him.

Still not too sure about The Brig being retired in 77, when he shouldn't have been, the UNIT 7 year difference, Sarah introduced in 73., said she was from 1980 in "Pyramids".

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

gallifreyan wrote:By & large I do. But I'm intrigued by this whole Hurndall 'n' Tweepears problem thing :)
Eh?

gallifreyan
405 lines

Post by gallifreyan »

Mark wrote:
gallifreyan wrote:By & large I do. But I'm intrigued by this whole Hurndall 'n' Tweepears problem thing :)
Eh?
Mr Skryngestone a few posts up says there's some continuity gaffe/prob regarding them. I'm wondering what it is?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

gallifreyan wrote:
Mark wrote:
Eh?
Mr Skryngestone a few posts up says there's some continuity gaffe/prob regarding them. I'm wondering what it is?
Ah right, I see what you mean...can't think what the problem is either.?

All this is nothing compared to the impossible Moff mess ( no one else can play The Master now, except John Simm, because Missy came next and the character was killed off.!).