HD

Re: Doctor Who Classic Series and DVDs

Post by brigham »

The Mausoleum Club meets YouTube...

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

Well, If you read his son's book, you definitely see that looking back, Pat had undiagnosed mental health issues,

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

So you've read a book and decided that he was a sexual predator (although that got shot down pretty quickly), was unpleasant to someone he was getting divorced from, and now that he had mental health issues - I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess that you're not medically qualified to make such a diagnosis. Has it crossed your mind that sometimes children favour one parent over another, particualry after a divorce, and perhaps the book isn't balanced?

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

I see...

This interesting defence of Saint Patrick Troughton is coming from the same DW fandom that still argues for The Talons of Weng-Chiang to be re-screened, even though as far back as the seventies, it was banned from TVOntario after they wisely showed it to a Chinese-Canadian civil rights group?

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

I dont think I'm defending anyone, but you're the expert who seems to have read a book and then come to all sorts of conclusions about someone I can't remember being criticised by his collegues, and who obviously doesn't have the right of reply. I'm sure that Talons is shown on various global channels from time to time, as it's a very fine example of Dr Who, but you're just creating a straw-man argument, as where are all of these fans requesting this particular, or any story, to be screened - classic stories haven't been shown on terrestial tv for many years. You need to get a grip and stop this faux concern just to get attention.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

This thread is for the discussion of the Classic Dr Who series and the associated DVDs - the clue is in the thread title.

The thread isn't the place to start any character assassinations, and I'm not even sure that The Mausoleum Club as a whole is the right place for anything along those lines anyway. If you feel that you have to include accusations within a thread, make sure they are wholly within context of what is being discussed and you have definitive proof to substantiate your claims should they be legally challenged. Whilst The Mausoleum Club requires a membership to post, the contents are available to the public and search engines, and members should bear in mind that they are wholly responsible for their own posts.

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

understood. My fingers can run faster than my brain.

The Black Nun
625 lines

Post by The Black Nun »

It was completely normal until recently for actors to tease each other and play practical jokes during a production. It wasn't sexist because it applied equally to men and women. Nobody cared because people were grown ups then and not coddled children.

God save us from the virtue signalling snowflakes who want everyone to be boring, humourless and identical. They love to throw stones, but I would love to know what they get up to themselves in secret.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

I came back to the Dr. Who thread after a period of absence, hoping to read more about the DVD full-animations I keep hearing about.
Are they by the Restoration Team? More to the point, are they worth buying?
Are ALL the 'lost stories' to be covered?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I'm guessing the master tape of Michael Wisher's special recording of 'What's the recipe for today Jim?' in Dalek voice ( for "The Jimmy Young Show" from Longleat, Easter Monday 1975, Tom Baker interviewed) has not survived?...would love to know for sure.

Presumably recorded around the time it was broadcast, but not sure of the date though.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

In "The Curse of Fenric", Ace insulting Kathleen by assuming she's an Eighties-style post-second wave feminism unmarried single mum - in the mooted Season 27's tripe to the fifties, Ace would no doubt have said to a single, unmarried man "Oh, i thought that you were gay!"

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Some Doctor Who stories I really like and why :

Paradise Towers - The spooky imagining of a future community in decline saved ultimately by heroic action has a perfect combination of regular and guest character interaction.

Battlefield - Earth, England, "today" and suddenly strange events occur which revolve around magic old and new; imagining it could happen just down the road, today.

The Chase - How many stories we can share as the doctor is pursued through space and time by enemies old and new until it's time for some of the travellers to leave.

Rose - Earth, England, "today" and suddenly strange events occur and we again imagine it could happen just down the road, today!
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

I have to agree about the stories set on contemporary Earth. I'd first travelled on the Tube not long before 'The Web of Fear', and it made an already worrying experience even worse.
Then I visited Gatwick Airport about two weeks before 'The Faceless Ones'...

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

when I was in high school, Big Finish had just announced their first ever DW audio and stupid teenage me decided it would be "funny" to call Nicholas Briggs, "Nicholas Pricks" on rec.arts.drwho. Gary Russell did not take it well...

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

Mister Fibuli and the Pirate Captain are complicit in a serious of genocides and planetary destruction's that would make the Daleks gasp. Would the Captain really have an "out" with the universe's justice authorities by saying "It's not really my fault! The Queen controlled part of my body like it was a Barbie Doll!"

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

paul.austin wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:17 pm
Mister Fibuli and the Pirate Captain are complicit in a serious of genocides and planetary destruction's that would make the Daleks gasp. Would the Captain really have an "out" with the universe's justice authorities by saying "It's not really my fault! The Queen controlled part of my body like it was a Barbie Doll!"
That's a Douglas Adams comedy, which was broadcast as part of the 'Doctor Who' strand, for some reason.
I can only conclude that there was some sort of hiatus in the production of actual 'Doctor Who'.
Strikes possibly; they were popular at that time.

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

The American Revolutionary War is one of the zones on the map in "The War Games" but they don't show the brave boys whom the traitor George Washington was being traitorous against!

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

That's because the winners write the history!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

brigham wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:31 am
paul.austin wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:17 pm
That's a Douglas Adams comedy, which was broadcast as part of the 'Doctor Who' strand, for some reason.
I can only conclude that there was some sort of hiatus in the production of actual 'Doctor Who'.
Strikes possibly; they were popular at that time.
PC: MOONS OF MADNESS Mr Fibuli, we are under attack again

MF: Yes Captain

PC: What spineless insect has the insolence to pour scorn on our endeavours?

MF: I have ran the information through the computer sir

PC: ...And...AND...DAAARRE you speak his name?

MF: Brigham...Captain

PC: Brigham...BRIGHAM!!!...I smell the poisonous bile of a Mentiad!

MF: No Captain

PC: Curse those interfering psychic parasites, I'll have their bones for giant zebradons toothpicks, I'll....speak again?

MF: He's from Earth

PC: That accursed spherical heap of filth, that nightmarish pinprick of stinking evil, prepare to jump
Mr Fibuli, prepare to jump, I'll crush the very breath out of that odious scab in space!

MF: Preparing to jump sir

PC: Jump...JUMP NOW...Hahahhahahaha!

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

Just a quick question--Do the film inserts for planet of fire exist? They look good on dvd. Is it a good telecine transfer or do copies of the film inserts exist? I know the inserts exist for the caves of androzani and the twin dilemma but not sure about Planet of fire. Anyone know?

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

brigham wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:32 am
I have to agree about the stories set on contemporary Earth. I'd first travelled on the Tube not long before 'The Web of Fear', and it made an already worrying experience even worse.
Then I visited Gatwick Airport about two weeks before 'The Faceless Ones'...
Which makes the current series' idea of a "Whoniverse" all the odder. There is something chilling about seeing Daleks in control of London in "The Dalek Invasion of Earth".
Compare that to the comic book look and feel of alien spaceships crashing into London in the Nu series.
One works because it's very clearly our London. The other just looks silly because it's set in a "Doctor Who Universe".
Great News Inside, Chums!

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

paul.austin wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:14 am
when I was in high school, Big Finish had just announced their first ever DW audio and stupid teenage me decided it would be "funny" to call Nicholas Briggs, "Nicholas Pricks" on rec.arts.drwho. Gary Russell did not take it well...
Was it the name-calling, or who it was?
Hopefully I'm not getting too far off-topic, but I used to post at a certain forum.
The personal attacks against Lawrence Miles and John Peel were constant, and usually involved vulgarity, poor grammar and terrible spelling.
I posted one comment questioning Paul Cornell's ability for comprehension, and was banned from that site on the spot. Apparently they "[didn't] allow attacks on Doctor Who authors". Except, of course, for the thousands of attacks on Miles and Peel.
Great News Inside, Chums!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

ArchiveTvfan43 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:50 pm
Just a quick question--Do the film inserts for planet of fire exist? They look good on dvd. Is it a good telecine transfer or do copies of the film inserts exist? I know the inserts exist for the caves of androzani and the twin dilemma but not sure about Planet of fire. Anyone know?
Yes, The BBC have the 16mm film inserts.

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

Thank you for the info. Will look great on blu ray.