405 lines

Re: New agreement between Network and the BBC

Post by gallifreyan »

That or Rentaghost

Andrew
405 lines

Post by Andrew »

I'm confused does this mean Network can gain access to the BBC archives as of 10 years ago?

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

Got my attention with two words...The Goodies.
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

Andrew wrote:I'm confused does this mean Network can gain access to the BBC archives as of 10 years ago?
In their early days Network released several BBC titles which have been unavailable for a long time and can now be re-released, I think. And they'll be putting out things not previously released, i.e. Johnny Jarvis.

Michael
625 lines

Post by Michael »

Wow! If you watch the short video teaser on their website, it shows some Radio Times covers depicting:

The Goodies
Lloyd George
Alf Garnett
Eric Sykes
Shoestring
Sink or Swim
Rockliffe's Babies

I do hope these are representative of the coming titles, particularly that last one.

Andrew
405 lines

Post by Andrew »

The very first release they had was 'The Adventures of Robinson crusoe'. They had intended to release 'The White Horses series'. Now that the English soundtrack to this has been found all 12 of the 13 episodes now exist in English, it would be perfect if they could give it an official release.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Oh really? I have the German DVD (in German; no subs) as I thought all the English tracks had been lost. It's great to hear that all bar one have been recovered. I'd love to have a White Horses DVD release.

Andrew
405 lines

Post by Andrew »

Yes they even have the BBC announcer stating episode number and episode title. 12 of the 13 episodes re-appeared on real to reel audio tape earlier this Year. Network could probably do a nice job syncing them up again.

The Post Office
405 lines

Post by The Post Office »

A DVD release of Telford's Change would be nice.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

I would really like a re-release of Star Cops!

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

Ross wrote:Oh really? I have the German DVD (in German; no subs) as I thought all the English tracks had been lost. It's great to hear that all bar one have been recovered. I'd love to have a White Horses DVD release.
The 12 episodes are on sale on the web in English,but does the BBC have these audios?

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

Andrew wrote:Yes they even have the BBC announcer stating episode number and episode title. 12 of the 13 episodes re-appeared on real to reel audio tape earlier this Year. Network could probably do a nice job syncing them up again.
IMDB gives a link-2013-to a seller,so they've been around for a while. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0315006/

Andrew
405 lines

Post by Andrew »

They have been only available with English subtitles previously . In January this year the new discovery of Eng audio means they can be reassembled to play out, not with subtitles but English audio.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Michael wrote:Wow! If you watch the short video teaser on their website, it shows some Radio Times covers depicting:

The Goodies
Lloyd George
Alf Garnett
Eric Sykes
Shoestring
Sink or Swim
Rockliffe's Babies

I do hope these are representative of the coming titles, particularly that last one.
Did someone mention Rockliffe's Babies? Pleeese!

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

Andrew wrote:They have been only available with English subtitles previously . In January this year the new discovery of Eng audio means they can be reassembled to play out, not with subtitles but English audio.
The online offer is for a "13 episode DVD set with 12 episodes in English (dubbed)".They go on to state:

However we have been very lucky in obtaining some reel-to-reel audio tapes which have audio recordings from twelve of the 1960s TV Episodes. We now have put together the original Video footage with these audio recordings to give you twelve episodes of The White Horses TV Series as we fans of the series all remember. With episode three, Suspicion falls on Andrej the only one now missing.(This episode is also on the DVD set with English subtitles).

So I'm wondering if the BBC have these audios?

Andrew
405 lines

Post by Andrew »

No the BBC don't have them.
To make it a little clearer.
1. I translated and oversaw the original English subtitles from the original German dub on a fan site making it possible to watch the series again, which was great for the 'die hards' but didn't quite quite have the same feeling as the original De lane Lea studios dubbing.
2. Unknown to me, a guy in January this year started selling a version with the original English track re-layed onto the German print. He says they are from 12 reel to reel audios. I have no reason not to believe this.
The quality of the audio was quite impressive (as I obtained a copy of his dvd and demuxed the audio to my archive, but it could be further improved with a professional release. I don't know how on earth he got hold of them but I'm glad he did.

So what we have is a very good opportunity to re lay this track professionaly and make lot of people happy.

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

Thanks,Andrew,Very interesting!

The link on IMDB to "these people (who) have the series on DVD" is dated May 13th 2013.Do you know if they were offering the English audios at that point? I don't know what difference it makes,I'm just interested...

Andrew
405 lines

Post by Andrew »

No at that point they were offering a copy of my English subtitles! I wasn't bothered as I only made them for my own amusement They certainly didn't have The English audio... But they do now.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Andrew wrote:2. Unknown to me, a guy in January this year started selling a version with the original English track re-layed onto the German print. He says they are from 12 reel to reel audios. I have no reason not to believe this.
The quality of the audio was quite impressive (as I obtained a copy of his dvd and demuxed the audio to my archive, but it could be further improved with a professional release. I don't know how on earth he got hold of them but I'm glad he did.
Well, if recorded with a line-out, the quality can be very good.
Do you suppose the seller / the source might also have recordings of other dubs or audio tracks from that era? I wouldn't mind "The adventures of Floris" for example.
This is nøt å signåture.™

nlamb
405 lines

Post by nlamb »

JWG wrote:
Andrew wrote:They have been only available with English subtitles previously . In January this year the new discovery of Eng audio means they can be reassembled to play out, not with subtitles but English audio.
The online offer is for a "13 episode DVD set with 12 episodes in English (dubbed)".They go on to state:

However we have been very lucky in obtaining some reel-to-reel audio tapes which have audio recordings from twelve of the 1960s TV Episodes. We now have put together the original Video footage with these audio recordings to give you twelve episodes of The White Horses TV Series as we fans of the series all remember. With episode three, Suspicion falls on Andrej the only one now missing.(This episode is also on the DVD set with English subtitles).

So I'm wondering if the BBC have these audios?

Where on-line is the offer for these English versions please?

Andrew
405 lines

Post by Andrew »

RE: Spiny Norman's question - Im not sure. His website has an email address so you could ask him. As far as 'White Horses' is concerned I reckon he was probably offered the tapes. I too would love to know the full background. I don't have any contact info for Tim Beddows , but if he see"s this thread then he can persue the tapes if he wants. As Robinson Crusoe was their first VHS issue, surely a re-launch with 'White Horses' would be appropriate. I'm certain it would be popular.

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

nlamb wrote:
JWG wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Where on-line is the offer for these English versions please?
Link on IMDB Message Board,under 'Secret Series?'. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0315006/boa ... /197636980

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Andrew wrote:2. Unknown to me, a guy in January this year started selling a version with the original English track re-layed onto the German print. He says they are from 12 reel to reel audios. I have no reason not to believe this.
Well, if recorded with a line-out, the quality can be very good.
Do you suppose the seller / the source might also have recordings of other dubs or audio tracks from that era? I wouldn't mind "The adventures of Floris" for example.
I'm assuming that they were approached by someone.That someone may have other recordings-we hope!
Home recordings can be very good.Weren't the audios on the most-recent DW finds augmented (replaced?) by off-airs because the quality was better?

This site's worth a look: https://thewhitehorsestvseries1968.wordpress.com/ Though I couldn't see a word about English audios.

Colin Robertson
405 lines

Post by Colin Robertson »

My BBC requests:

Morgan's Boy (1984)
Troublemakers (1990)

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Andrew wrote:RE: Spiny Norman's question - Im not sure. His website has an email address so you could ask him. As far as 'White Horses' is concerned I reckon he was probably offered the tapes. I too would love to know the full background. I don't have any contact info for Tim Beddows , but if he see"s this thread then he can persue the tapes if he wants. As Robinson Crusoe was their first VHS issue, surely a re-launch with 'White Horses' would be appropriate. I'm certain it would be popular.
That would be http://www.thewhitehorses.co.uk right?
This is nøt å signåture.™

Andrew
405 lines

Post by Andrew »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Andrew wrote:RE: Spiny Norman's question - Im not sure. His website has an email address so you could ask him. As far as 'White Horses' is concerned I reckon he was probably offered the tapes. I too would love to know the full background. I don't have any contact info for Tim Beddows , but if he see"s this thread then he can persue the tapes if he wants. As Robinson Crusoe was their first VHS issue, surely a re-launch with 'White Horses' would be appropriate. I'm certain it would be popular.
That would be http://www.thewhitehorses.co.uk right?
Yes that's his address, he also has a message box on the site. I asked a few questions about the origins of the tape but he declined to reply. As a consequence as mentioned earlier I obtained the set and demuxed the audiio.
The original tapes he obtained would have been preferable If Network were to use them. Sadly the original owner of these tapes still remain a mystery. The demux is probably not too dissimilar to the original however.. So at least we have that. An additional foley track might help.

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

There's a claim here that Network were planning to release a subtitled version in 2007: http://members3.boardhost.com/thebigkni ... 07149.html

It may even be true.Mind you,there's also a claim that the films were destroyed in a fire...

I suspect there's less chance of any release now,than there was a week ago,given the possibility that an English dub might one day be possible.

Brian F
625 lines

Post by Brian F »

Now you have mentioned subtitles, didn't the BBC (at least at one time) make subtitles a must for releases by Network etc?

Ant
405 lines

Post by Ant »

Brian F wrote:Now you have mentioned subtitles, didn't the BBC (at least at one time) make subtitles a must for releases by Network etc?
BBC Worldwide apparently requires subtitles (for the deaf and hard of hearing) on any third-party releases of their material. Which is excellent, really - it's a shame that so many DVD distributors just don't bother otherwise. But at least there are some content owners (but not ITV, obviously!) who are now making it a contractural obligation - I think that has to be a good thing.