Doomwatch DVD finally here

What's not currently on the box
robinsmith
405 lines

Doomwatch DVD finally here

Post by robinsmith »

Well, one of my favourite archive shows finally gets a DVD release, my only irk is lack of information on the cover of discs about which episodes are contained inside.
That niggle aside, I'm working my way through the series episode by episode and there's a few I've missed, so it'll be nice to see them,

Private Frazer
625 lines

Re: Doomwatch DVD finally here

Post by Private Frazer »

I enjoyed the four that were released on video (favourite The Red Sky) and I once watched Operation Sahara too. Hope the others are good.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

Picture quality is much improved from VHS and UK Gold repeats, so far. Looking forwards to "Sex and Violence" which I have only seen projected in NFT 2.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Ridge has always been my favourite character, Simon Oates was so good.

Must be something about mavericks, Derren Nesbitt's Jordan was my favourite in "Special Branch" ( at the same time) as well.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

Mark wrote:Ridge has always been my favourite character, Simon Oates was so good.

Must be something about mavericks, Derren Nesbitt's Jordan was my favourite in "Special Branch" ( at the same time) as well.
Not having seen Doomwatch before I bought the DVD (but having seen Special Branch), the first thing I thought when I saw Ridge was "isn't that Derren Nesbitt?"

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

It's always Derren Nesbitt! Whatever you're watching, from around 1957-77, at some point, it'll be Derren Nesbitt. Multiple times, on some occasions. He was a one-man acting troupe.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

That's true..!...should be the name of his Autobiography, he was always good, though.

There were similarities between the two Actors/characters, apart from being mavericks, their dress sense, flowery shirts and kipper ties I mean I know they were the fashion at the time, but they both stood out in their respective series, amongst the sea of grey suits, Ridge even gets admonished for his dress sense in one episode.

The Black Nun
625 lines

Post by The Black Nun »

I'm pretty happy with this set except for "Toby Wren" which looks like shit and was better on the vhs. The old double standard conversions don't actually look too bad on this set. The other couple of RSC transfers look okay but frankly you've got to wonder why they ever bothered. The motion is slightly better but at the cost of serious picture degradation - swings and roundabouts.

I wish they'd included the missing scripts, but that might have been too costly. Frankly I'm delighted that all the eps got released in one go, and they didn't do a "series 1 " release and never follow it up like many other companies. Simply are very high up in my estimation at the moment. If you're reading guys, keep up the good work.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

Yes the colour (or should it be color after the NTSC conversion with lower u or v bandwidth) on the opening titles broke up more than the other episodes, especially the red. I haven't watched past them yet so I'm hoping there are no large saturated red areas in the rest of the episode.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

It hadn't even occurred to me that it was in colour! Another first.
I have no complaints about this set. Just being able to watch it again is good enough for me.
Of course, the ONLY episode which I have strong memories of is missing.

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

brigham wrote: Of course, the ONLY episode which I have strong memories of is missing.
Or as the 'glass half-full' brigade might say,"Luckily,I have strong memories of one of the missing episodes".

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

JWG wrote:
brigham wrote: Of course, the ONLY episode which I have strong memories of is missing.
Or as the 'glass half-full' brigade might say,"Luckily,I have strong memories of one of the missing episodes".
And let me guess....would it be "Survival Code"..?

Bernie
D-MAC

Post by Bernie »

Mark wrote:Ridge has always been my favourite character, Simon Oates was so good.

He and John Paul always turned out to be too tall. One of those things that isn't obvious unless you were there. We'd rehearse on the first afternoon and by the time the evening was done we'd have the designer arranging to put ceiling corners on all the sets that they were in before we got going on day two.

B

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Bernie wrote:

He and John Paul always turned out to be too tall. One of those things that isn't obvious unless you were there. We'd rehearse on the first afternoon and by the time the evening was done we'd have the designer arranging to put ceiling corners on all the sets that they were in before we got going on day two.

B
Ha!..great story...I'll be looking out, now, and corner spotting!

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Rather nice, thought-provoking piece about the series here:

http://sundayinoldmoney.blogspot.com/20 ... -code.html

All the best

Andrew

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Interesting, Toby's demise was certainly a big shock, and a good example of how 'Special', TV was.

I suppose the third series was the weakest, although there were still some gems amongst the episodes.

lovecraft
625 lines

Post by lovecraft »

I have the boxset and have had two goes at getting into it but I'm afraid I find it all rather shallow.

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

The Fusion Patrol podcast has just completed its look at "Doomwatch" with "Winter Angel". The later editions of this covering Series Two onwards are particularly good with some very engaging discussion between the hosts. Worth a listen if you have the time:

https://fusionpatrol.com/category/series/doomwatch/

All the best

Andrew