A few TV stories visit Scotland :
Doctor Who - Terror Of The Zygons
The Champions - Project Zero + Twelve Hours + The Search
The Persuaders - A Death In The Family
The Protectors - Shadbolt
The Tomorrow People - The Doomsday Men
The Avengers - Castle De'ath
The New Avengers - The Eagle's Nest

Can anybody list a few more, particularly Doctor Who, stories that visit Scotland? Thanks!
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Mark
Committee

Re: Doctor Who in Scotland

Post by Mark »

"Doctor Who"
"The HIghlanders"

"The Tomorrow People"
"Castle Of Fear"
"Achillies Heel"

"Survivors"
"Power"

"The Nightmare Man"
(4 episodes)

"Danger Man"
"The Gallows Tree"

"Stingray"
"Loch Ness Monster"
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Re: Doctor Who in Scotland

Post by Private Frazer »

Thanks for that - forgot about The Highlanders!
(I've changed this topic's name from Doctor Who to TV)
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Re: TV stories set in Scotland

Post by Simon Coward »

Strangers: "A Dear Green Place" and "The Flowers of Edinburgh"
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Man of the World-highland story
The Saint- the Loch Ness one and another b/w one
Douglas Fairbanks Jr Presents - Lochnivar- Lowland Fling-
Shirley's World - The islanders.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

fatcat wrote:The Saint- the Loch Ness one and another b/w one
Ah yes, "The Inescapable Word".

Is "The Organisation Man" set in Scotland? Or is it just that the military uniforms have a hint of Scotland about them?

Colin Robertson
405 lines

Post by Colin Robertson »

There's an episode of Upstairs Downstairs, but I can't remember the title.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

Edge of Darkness - 6. Fusion. Scenes at St Andrews (I think they're the real thing), and the shoot out and final scenes in the Highlands (actually Wales as the Scottish location shooting got rained off)

The Saint - The Convenient Monster (quick establishing shots and cut to studio and environs)

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea - The Secret of the Loch

The Stingray one in Loch Ness

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

Colin Robertson wrote:There's an episode of Upstairs Downstairs, but I can't remember the title.
'Will Ye No Come Back Again' - series 5 episode 12. Not an awful lot of location filming though.

There is also the mess of controversy that was 'Scotch on the Rocks' (BBC, 1973) although two episodes are wiped.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

New Dr Who series "Tooth and Claw", with Queen Victoria at Balmoral.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Private Frazer wrote:ACan anybody list a few more, particularly Doctor Who, stories that visit Scotland? Thanks!
Timelash, briefly.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Michael
625 lines

Post by Michael »

Sutherland's Law

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

Space:1999 - Journey to Where. Lots of Scotland fighting shenanigans courtesy of guest star Freddie Jones IIRC. Presumably filmed outside the studio in Black Park though.

Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons - The Trap. The one in the Scottish castle where the Mysterons try to kill all the delegates meeting there.

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

"I Love Lucy" episode 5x17: 'Lucy Goes To Scotland'. TX 20th Feb 1956. In which Desi Arnaz does the best Scottish accent ever.

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

The final episode of Paul Temple, ‘Critics, Yes! But this is Ridiculous!’ in which a Scottish holiday for Paul and Steve is disrupted by murderous goings on at a hippy commune. The suspicious locals – who perhaps inevitably include Angus Lennie – are appalled by the scandalous goings-on on their doorstep (“They’re dope fiends an’ layabouts! Aye, she used to be a nice girl until she went awa’ to that university”), while Temple’s attempts to intervene are met with hostility by the hippies (“You have bad vibrations, man”). A young Maurice Roeves plays the thankless part of the charismatic cult leader, less Charles Manson than George Best in a kaftan.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

And New Captain Scarlet's Trap for a Rhino. Spiffing stuff. My favourite episode of the first season (still haven't caught the second one).

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

If I remember rightly, some of the Jonathan Creek story "Satan's Chimney" is set in Scotland - I think the castle in which much of the action occurs is north of the border.

Oliver's Travels: The latter part of the serial, episodes 4 and 5 maybe, are in Scotland. The tail end of the serial is on Orkney.

I presume, from your original post, that you're looking for Scottish episodes that are in series which mostly aren't set in Scotland. Otherwise I'm sure many here could supply a list of Scottish Television and BBC Scotland productions, most of which would be set on home turf.

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

Simon Coward wrote:...I presume, from your original post, that you're looking for Scottish episodes that are in series which mostly aren't set in Scotland. Otherwise I'm sure many here could supply a list of Scottish Television and BBC Scotland productions, most of which would be set on home turf.
Yes, wasn't thinking so much about the scottish based ones like Doctor Finlay's Casebook etc.

I'd just watched The Tomorrow People 'The Doomsday Men', which combines the in and outdoor scenes set in Scotland very well. Then watching Doctor Who 'Terror Of The Zygons', episodic version for the first time (with the late Angus Lennie very good in it too), started me thinking about others. I get added interest when a programme comes nearer home!

In The Andromeda Breakthrough episode one the action quickly leads to the scottish west coast, the seashore caves and the man in the cottage.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Private Frazer wrote:I'd just watched The Tomorrow People 'The Doomsday Men', which combines the in and outdoor scenes set in Scotland very well. Then watching Doctor Who 'Terror Of The Zygons', episodic version for the first time (with the late Angus Lennie very good in it too), started me thinking about others. I get added interest when a programme comes nearer home!
The operative word here, of course, is "set". I wonder how many, if any, of the stories mentioned so far have actually been filmed in Scotland? Coincidentally closeness to home is the reason that Terror of the Zygons is one of my favourites. I was doing A-levels when it was filmed and there was a buzz around school when the BBC film crew turned up on our doorstep, in West Sussex.

~iw

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Ian Wegg wrote:
Private Frazer wrote:I'd just watched The Tomorrow People 'The Doomsday Men', which combines the in and outdoor scenes set in Scotland very well. Then watching Doctor Who 'Terror Of The Zygons', episodic version for the first time (with the late Angus Lennie very good in it too), started me thinking about others. I get added interest when a programme comes nearer home!
The operative word here, of course, is "set". I wonder how many, if any, of the stories mentioned so far have actually been filmed in Scotland? Coincidentally closeness to home is the reason that Terror of the Zygons is one of my favourites. I was doing A-levels when it was filmed and there was a buzz around school when the BBC film crew turned up on our doorstep, in West Sussex.

~iw
Yes, looked good though didn't it, and it is a smashing story!

Of the shows I listed, only the episode of "Survivors" ("Power") was actually made in Scotland.

The "Who" serial "The Highlanders" was done at Frensham Ponds ( which doubled up for Spain, in "Carry On Jack").

The "Danger Man" episode "The Gallows Tree" and the 1981 serial,"The Nightmare Man" were done in Cornwall.

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

I can certainly confirm that the "I Love Lucy" Scottish episode never went anywhere near Scotland! Neither did the accents. Not that it matters in that case though.

I suppose an (infamous) recent one would be the episode of "Lost" that wound up being discussed quite heavily here, when Scottish character Desmond was recruited into the Royal Scots, whose recruitment poster promised 'Honor and Adventure"!

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

The Lord Peter Wimsey serial "The Five Red Herrings" is set in Galloway.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

There's an episode of "The Troubleshooters" ("Everybody Is That Kind Of Man") from 1969, with location filming in Scotland.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

A couple of episodes of The Persuaders!:

- the opening pre-credits scene set in a Scottish glen in The Long Goodbye where they find the crashed plane and the skeleton of the pilot. Again, looks like Black Park, Buckinghamshire, to me.

- The death of auld uncle Angus at his castle in A Death in the Family. Don't know which castle it really is but I doubt they went all the way north of the border just for that scene.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Wasn't Adam Smith set in Scotland?

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

ctraynor wrote:A couple of episodes of The Persuaders!:

- the opening pre-credits scene set in a Scottish glen in The Long Goodbye where they find the crashed plane and the skeleton of the pilot. Again, looks like Black Park, Buckinghamshire, to me.

- The death of auld uncle Angus at his castle in A Death in the Family. Don't know which castle it really is but I doubt they went all the way north of the border just for that scene.
I mentioned 'A Death in the Family' but forgot about 'The Long Goodbye'; I can picture the opening.
Avengerland tells me that 'A Death in the Family' has scenes shot in wales - Bryn Bras Castle, Harlech Castle, Llanberis Pass.

George White
625 lines

Post by George White »

McMillan and Wife had a Loch Ness ep with Roddy McDowall.
Lost in Space and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea had Scottish castle/Loch Ness episodes.
There was a Hart to Hart one.
Highlander the series

stanbutler
405 lines

Post by stanbutler »

Hancock's Half Hour 3.4 - A Holiday In Scotland. Hancock is told by the Doctor he must get fit, but when Hancock takes an unwilling Sid on a hunting holiday to Scotland, they get snowed in.

Hugh & I 1.2 A Brace of Peasants sees Terry & Hugh go on a grouse shooting holiday to Scotland where they bump into Fred Emney's Lord.

Although set in SCotland could have been shot anywhere,

Colin Robertson
405 lines

Post by Colin Robertson »

Also The Omega Factor, of course.

Bodie
625 lines

Post by Bodie »

Loch Ness turns up in a lot of these, doesn't it? There's the Goodies "Loch Ness Monster" episode too.