"Star Treatment"

What's not currently on the box
Mark
Committee

"Star Treatment"

Post by Mark »

Talking Pictures are screening the six editions of the Southern TV series, "Star Treatment" from the start of 1979, which gave upcoming stars their own show.

They are screened on the 27th and 28th, and include Grace Kennedy and Cannon And Ball.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

boblet
405 lines

Re: "Star Treatment"

Post by boblet »

Grace Kennedy's performance of "Rhythm of Life" from this show will be familiar to most folks here -it was repeated as part of Southern's final show on New Years's Eve 1981.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Oh yes...and then the Sothern TV logo spinning off into space...very sad.

It was nice to get to see these shows again, they were somewhat patchy, with the highlight ( for me anyway) being the Cannon And Ball one, I was familiar with the material, but still very funny.

The Grace kennedy one was also very entertaining and brought back memories of her excellent BBC series, a great singer.

The one with Glen Murphy was interesting, if only for the chance to see him in something other than his turn as George.A. Cooper's head shaking Trade Union assistant in the "Sykes" episode "Job".

Sadly the series had a filmic look...someone forgot which button to press again...naughty.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

The first episode of Star Treatment, featuring Grace Kennedy, is getting another airing on TPTV on Sunday 16 August. Hopefully, other episodes will follow.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

So long as it's not on at Stupid O' Clock, I might watch it again.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Ian Wegg wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:59 am
The first episode of Star Treatment, featuring Grace Kennedy, is getting another airing on TPTV on Sunday 16 August. Hopefully, other episodes will follow.
Since TP the first time resurrected this series, one episode could now be problematic...

http://the-mausoleum-club.org.uk/phpBB3 ... ent#p35917

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Mark wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:04 pm
By the time I'd stopped watching 'as broadcast' TV, the problem of being 'in' for a programme had been well and truly solved.

Has this technology gone the way of 3-D and supersonic airliners?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

brigham wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:21 am
Mark wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:04 pm
By the time I'd stopped watching 'as broadcast' TV, the problem of being 'in' for a programme had been well and truly solved.

Has this technology gone the way of 3-D and supersonic airliners?
Oh yes...I'd forgotten about all that, I'm still in 'Watch it when it's on' Mode.

I suppose it's just a glorified menu now...I miss TV (Sigh).

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

I missed TV so much I decided to re-create it.

Television is a process, not just an art-form. In the early sixties watching TV was entirely immersive; the room was filled with a strange bluish light; the warm electrical smell and the all-pervasive whistle told you that something 'special' was taking place.
All swept away in favour of a screen wherever you happen to be looking, at home or elsewhere, balefully repeating the day's news, showing men running up and down with a ball, or trying to sell you something you neither need or want.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Brought back a few memories there!

Even in the VHS era, I rarely used the timer, and would always tried to record a programme when it was on.

Watching a recording is never as exciting as watching it when broadcast, maybe it's partly because of the feeling of watching it with millions of others!