Hine ATV DVD release

What's not currently on the box
doubleM
625 lines

Hine ATV DVD release

Post by doubleM »

Can anyone confirm how many of the 13 episodes of Hine are in colour on the Network DVD set?

I'm mindful that some installments were produced during the ITV colour strike and wouldn't be in colour whether they now survive from the original taped copies or as b/w telerecordings, and possibly there may have been discoveries since the last Kal ITV Drama Guide? ... So how many in colour on the set?

Thanks in anticipation!

servalan66
405 lines

Re: Hine ATV DVD release

Post by servalan66 »

Just got this in the sale! 3 episodes are in colour, episode 1 being one of them.

doubleM
625 lines

Post by doubleM »

servalan66 wrote:Just got this in the sale! 3 episodes are in colour, episode 1 being one of them.
Excellent, thanks .. the other two colour episodes are?
.. ah yes, well worn carpets and the pungent smell of over-boiled vegetables!

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

doubleM wrote:
servalan66 wrote:Just got this in the sale! 3 episodes are in colour, episode 1 being one of them.
Excellent, thanks .. the other two colour episodes are?
"To Have And To Hold" and "Survival of the Creeps".

The other episodes which were originally in colour are "Caviare And Chips", "The Little White Lady", "Everything I Am I Owe" and "The Big Package".
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

doubleM
625 lines

Post by doubleM »

Thanks for the detail Simon, so quite a lot of new information on the survival/formats of this series turned up cf the detail in the last Drama Guide. Nothing like a commercial release to get the paperwork updated and/or the best copies hunted down I presume?

It's fascinating that only 7 of the 13 were made in colour and ATV went ahead (instead of postponing production) leaving them with a series of mixed format considering the possible resulting sales damage potential ... this presumably being a series they would be looking to sell extensively abroad. I assume the costs of putting things on haitus re contract signed, availablity of cast at a future point etc. made it necessary to continue production through the strike period and there was no hint of the potentail disruption before recording originally got underway?
.. ah yes, well worn carpets and the pungent smell of over-boiled vegetables!

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

doubleM wrote:Thanks for the detail Simon, so quite a lot of new information on the survival/formats of this series turned up cf the detail in the last Drama Guide. Nothing like a commercial release to get the paperwork updated and/or the best copies hunted down I presume?

It's fascinating that only 7 of the 13 were made in colour and ATV went ahead (instead of postponing production) leaving them with a series of mixed format considering the possible resulting sales damage potential ... this presumably being a series they would be looking to sell extensively abroad. I assume the costs of putting things on haitus re contract signed, availablity of cast at a future point etc. made it necessary to continue production through the strike period and there was no hint of the potentail disruption before recording originally got underway?
I haven't seen the series yet, so I'm going on things I've read rather than the on-screen evidence of my own eyes, but I think the biggest issue was the scheduling of some of the overseas filming in late 1970. I think that went ahead regardless (and so in b/w) and then the episodes for which the film had been shot were finished off in the studio during the strike - and probably two or three others too.

When the strike hit, two episodes had already been recorded but not fully edited and those were put to one side and completed after the strike was over so they could be kept in colour - those two were "Rifles Are Dangerous" and "The Little White Lady". The six monochrome episodes were shot next and then, once the strike was over, the final five episodes (Caviare, Hold, Package, Owe, Creeps - in that order) were recorded between February and April 1971.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

I got this in the sale too. Talk about dangerous driving in the titles! That Jag veers alarmingly across the chevrons of the motorway slip road and sweeps straight across into the outside lane!

Al Mundy
405 lines

Post by Al Mundy »

always loved those opening credits [and theme music recorded on my tape machine as a lad!] sort of suited ighams character and my network release of 2012.