Forgotten Gems

What's not currently on the box
marsey
625 lines

Forgotten Gems

Post by marsey »

We've probably had threads like this, but not for a while now. It was whilst watching Private Schulz again that a thought occurred that most people have probably never even heard of this series, much less remember it. I remember watching it on UK Gold (back when the channel was REALLY good) and enjoying it, then I happened to come across it on DVD (perhaps prompted on this very site? can't remember). I've had it for some time, but eventually got around to watching it (after watcher the brilliant Edge of Darkness for the first time in years).

It really is an incredibly funny programme, largely I think due to the wonderful Ian Richardson. There's lots of brilliant touches, like the way that Richardson assumes the role of a completely different character; completely unnecessary (something I don't think I've seen before) but for some reason it made me laugh out loud. Also the way that the Germans speak in completely fluent English (without the hint of a German accent) but when Schulz speaks English his accent becomes strained. A really good series , really enjoyable, and a real shame that probably 99% of people would never even turn it on to watch it if it was on tv again.

What other series/one off programmes from the past do you guys think have been forgotten about?

Ross
D-MAC

Re: Forgotten Gems

Post by Ross »

To be honest, just about anything pre-1990. Mention Callan, Public Eye, Special Branch, Wings, The Sandbaggers, Warship etc to people outside our fan circle and chances are they won't have heard of it.

The likes of Dad's Army are the minority.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Only When I Laugh (great cast and gags)
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Ross wrote:To be honest, just about anything pre-1990. Mention Callan, Public Eye, Special Branch, Wings, The Sandbaggers, Warship etc to people outside our fan circle and chances are they won't have heard of it.

The likes of Dad's Army are the minority.
1990!

The Black Nun
625 lines

Post by The Black Nun »

ITV Playhouse.

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

Only When I Laugh by a previous poster was a good example of a 'forgotten' gem. It's not completely forgotten of course as Network released it on DVD a few years ago, but you don't hear about it much, compared to other shows anyway, and was a pretty good show.

Along similar lines to that, I'd go for Bless Me Father with Arthur Lowe (also released by Network a few years ago) as a 'forgotten' gem. There's plenty of other shows in a similar boat too numerous to mention.

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

"Cover"

It's a bit like "The Organization" ... but with live ammo.

Clive
625 lines

Post by Clive »

Hancock's Half Hour

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

Two In Clover.

Starring Sid James and Victor Spinetti.

With James in good form (was he ever in bad form?) and Spinetti as a great second-banana, plus a few familiar faces like Bill Pertwee, James Beck, John Inman and Freddie Trueman.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Clive wrote:Hancock's Half Hour
Can this really be described as "forgotten"? I'm more familiar with the radio series than the TV version, but the repeats are rarely off Radio 4 Extra and there have been recent remakes on Radio 4 of ten of the "lost" episodes, featuring Kevin McNally. There was a TV remake as part of BBC4's "Lost Sitcoms" season as well.

perov
405 lines

Post by perov »

Trinity Tales, a 6 part series written by Alan Plater was a gem in my opinion.
It was on BBC2 in 1975.

With people like Francis Matthews, the late Susan Littler, Bill Maynard and the wonderful Paul Copley, it was based on Canterbury Tales, but featuring a group of Rugby supporters on a coach to Wembley.
Each had to tell a tale, with a fish supper going to the winner.
They stopped at various pubs along the way, and the results were very amusing.

prisoner5
625 lines

Post by prisoner5 »

Have fond memories of '60s '70s drama series on itv which some are truly "forgotten" Blackmail, the liars, mr rose, man in room 17,and a god slot ABC series pilgrims progress which was so bizarre it sticks in my mind to this day. Granada's Friday night contribution to the network was awesome.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Have to agree with Perov, "Trinity Tales" is a brilliant series, had a great theme tune as well.

Why it's not out on DVD is anyone's guess?

Also "Don't forget To Write", with George Cole, was a joyful series, released in Australia (I think) but, mystifyingly, no sign on region 2.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"