Odd misapprehensions

What's not currently on the box
Brock
HD

Odd misapprehensions

Post by Brock »

When I was young I remember my mother seeing Marty Feldman appear on the screen and asking "Isn't that Monty Python?"

In vain did I try to explain to her that Monty Python wasn't an actual person. And, in fairness to her, if any one individual looked as though he should be called "Monty Python" then it was probably Marty Feldman.

Any similarly bizarre misapprehensions?

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Re: Odd misapprehensions

Post by Spiny Norman »

Brock wrote:And, in fairness to her, if any one individual looked as though he should be called "Monty Python" then it was probably Marty Feldman.
And apart from the looks, there's also the fact that the Pythons wrote for "It's Marty", and material that he rejected ended up in Flying Circus.
This is nøt å signåture.™

The Lurker In The Shadows
405 lines

Post by The Lurker In The Shadows »

Brock wrote:When I was young I remember my mother seeing Marty Feldman appear on the screen and asking "Isn't that Monty Python?"
My mum also thought the same thing. Back in the 80s, when I was first getting into Python, she was talking about Cleese and Palin and 'that Monty Python', and when I asked her who she thought 'that Monty Python' was, she said, 'him with the eyes.'

I did wonder if she had vague memories of 'At Last the 1948 Show' with Cleese and Feldman's involvement, and the slight similarity in names - Marty/Monty - did the rest.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

The Lurker In The Shadows wrote:
Brock wrote:When I was young I remember my mother seeing Marty Feldman appear on the screen and asking "Isn't that Monty Python?"
My mum also thought the same thing.
Maybe a commoner misapprehension than I thought then! Perhaps a whole generation of viewers believed that Marty Feldman was the genius behind Monty Python's Flying Circus.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Episode two of EARTHSHOCK is playing out, and into the lounge comes mother - "Oh," she says, "the Cybernauts are back."

Which, considering "Cybermen" is both an easier word to recall, and had been on the telly for more weeks than all three AVENGERS episodes combined is quite an achievement.

She also asked "Is this a repeat then?" during the opening moments of THE TWO DOCTORS, (before nodding off - along with dad and brother, which says it all really. Wish I'd had that option at the BFI a while back...)

The 80s repeat of THE SIX WIVES IF HENRY VIII caused a real argument, when I tried to explain to both parents that the Mary seen on screen wasn't of the Queen of Scots variety but more Henry's sister...

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I knew a lad, back in the day, who always called " Doctor Who"...'Doctor Who and the Daleks", no matter what, I tried to drop hints, but to no avail.

'Did you see Doctor Who and the Daleks on Saturday, I missed it'

'Yes, it was great...the CYBERMEN were in it'

'Oh, I like the Cybermen...so they are back in Doctor Who and the Daleks, then?'
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

The Black Nun
625 lines

Post by The Black Nun »

It's a common mistake to confuse Marty with Python. I've heard people say that many times - "Monty Python, oh I like him".

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

Not sure if this qualifies for what the OP had in mind, but..................
I remember watching probably Swap Shop, or at least whatever was on BBC on Saturday morning in the early 80's, and Stephanie Turner was a guest and a kid phoned up and said he had a question for "Juliet".

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

"Oh by the way, which one's Pink? "

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Brock wrote:And, in fairness to her, if any one individual looked as though he should be called "Monty Python" then it was probably Marty Feldman.
And apart from the looks, there's also the fact that the Pythons wrote for "It's Marty", and material that he rejected ended up in Flying Circus.
And I forgot to mention, in one now-lost sketch, most of the Python cast appeared as extras except for that tall fellow.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

SgtPepper wrote:Not sure if this qualifies for what the OP had in mind, but..................
I remember watching probably Swap Shop, or at least whatever was on BBC on Saturday morning in the early 80's, and Stephanie Turner was a guest and a kid phoned up and said he had a question for "Juliet".
Oh, I think quite a few people believed that "Juliet Bravo" was the name of the character - although probably not the name of the actress as well!

I'm sure I wasn't alone in believing, for a very long time, that "Doctor Who" was the name of the character as well as the series.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

There was one kid at my school who had the Arrow reprint of the Quatermass II script book, swore blind it was Quatermass 11, and that he also had the books for Quatermass 1-thru-Quatermass 10!
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:There was one kid at my school who had the Arrow reprint of the Quatermass II script book, swore blind it was Quatermass 11, and that he also had the books for Quatermass 1-thru-Quatermass 10!
Oh that reminds me. One of my schoolmates had a brother who was convinced that "K9" in Doctor Who was a replacement for an earlier version called "K8"...

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Brock wrote:
I'm sure I wasn't alone in believing, for a very long time, that "Doctor Who" was the name of the character as well as the series.
"Doctor Who" was the name of the character. Don't let trendy revisionists lead you astray!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

brigham wrote:
Brock wrote:
"Doctor Who" was the name of the character. Don't let trendy revisionists lead you astray!
Ah, that's probably why then. I was never a big fan of the programme but I'm fairly sure I remember the character being credited as "Doctor Who" back in the days of Jon Pertwee (even though he was never referred to that way on air).

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

Brock wrote:
brigham wrote:
Brock wrote:
Ah, that's probably why then. I was never a big fan of the programme but I'm fairly sure I remember the character being credited as "Doctor Who" back in the days of Jon Pertwee (even though he was never referred to that way on air).
I take it you've never seen The War Machines then?

Great News Inside, Chums!

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

The Black Nun wrote:It's a common mistake to confuse Marty with Python. I've heard people say that many times - "Monty Python, oh I like him".
I've met people who thought that John Cleese was 'Monty Python', and I've also met people who thought that Graham Chapman was 'Monty Python', but never Marty Feldman.
Great News Inside, Chums!

Nigel Stapley
625 lines

Post by Nigel Stapley »

In about 1972, our next-door neighbour Ada said, "We're getting a BBC2 aerial in time for Christmas so we can see The Queen in colour".
They only had a black-and-white set...

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Michael Aspel used to joke, that people in the street, would call out 'Hello Ask', when he presented "Ask Aspel", ( at least I think he was joking!).

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

Couple of things. News programmes in the 70s and early 80s mentioning guerillas (why are there never any references to 'guerillas' any more?) me and my friends thought that we were fighting against apes with machineguns, much like happened in Planet of the Apes.

Also many older tv programmes/films were black and white, so we naturally assumed that in 'olden times' everything was black and white in real life as well,

Duncan
625 lines

Post by Duncan »

Glad to see I wasn't the only one to think that guerillas were gorillas!

Nigel Stapley
625 lines

Post by Nigel Stapley »

Mark wrote:Michael Aspel used to joke, that people in the street, would call out 'Hello Ask', when he presented "Ask Aspel", ( at least I think he was joking!).
The guy who used to run our office (and whose name appeared at the top of all the letters we sent out) got the OBE, which he had appended to his name on the letterhead.

I suppose that it was inevitable that he then started getting letters starting with "Dear Mr Obe..."

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Nigel Stapley wrote:
Mark wrote:Michael Aspel used to joke, that people in the street, would call out 'Hello Ask', when he presented "Ask Aspel", ( at least I think he was joking!).
The guy who used to run our office (and whose name appeared at the top of all the letters we sent out) got the OBE, which he had appended to his name on the letterhead.

I suppose that it was inevitable that he then started getting letters starting with "Dear Mr Obe..."
Ha...nice one!

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

I remember two kids at school a few years younger than me who used to play Batman and Robin. If another friend turned up they used to play Alias, Smith, and Jones.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

marsey wrote:Couple of things. News programmes in the 70s and early 80s mentioning guerillas (why are there never any references to 'guerillas' any more?) me and my friends thought that we were fighting against apes with machineguns, much like happened in Planet of the Apes.
Me too! And the Daily Mirror always referred to Tony Benn as "Mr Benn", so I naturally assumed they were talking about the one who lived in Festive Road.

I was convinced for a while that Nicholas Lyndhurst sang the theme to Only Fools and Horses. It sounds much closer to his speaking voice than John Sullivan's.

When I was very little I used to think people on telly in dramas were sort of "generated" or animated. I couldn't get my head around the idea that it was just people pretending. I remember in particular thinking this when The Sweeney was on, and asking, if it was real people pretending, why they didn't just get real policemen?

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

As a kid I thought that if an actor died, when a show he/she was in was repeated -he wouldn't be in it, just a blank space where he/she use to be ...when he turned out to be in it I thought he hadn't died after all LOL

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

SgtPepper wrote:I remember two kids at school a few years younger than me who used to play Batman and Robin. If another friend turned up they used to play Alias, Smith, and Jones.
Well well! Of course I knew there were only two characters - one called "Alias Smith" and the other called "Jones"...

The Lurker In The Shadows
405 lines

Post by The Lurker In The Shadows »

marsey wrote:Couple of things. News programmes in the 70s and early 80s mentioning guerillas (why are there never any references to 'guerillas' any more?) me and my friends thought that we were fighting against apes with machineguns, much like happened in Planet of the Apes.
I used to think the film 'Battle for the Planet of the Apes' was missing out by not having the tagline, 'A Tale of Gorilla Warfare'...

Andy Marriott
625 lines

Post by Andy Marriott »

fatcat wrote:As a kid I thought that if an actor died, when a show he/she was in was repeated -he wouldn't be in it, just a blank space where he/she use to be ...when he turned out to be in it I thought he hadn't died after all LOL
I used to think this too! Some of my favourite shows and films would now be just empty sets.

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Post by Paul Hayes »

As a very young child of about four or five, I was always confused by the standard out cues at the end of news packages - "John Smith, BBC News, London," that sort of thing. I didn't understand why the reporters all called the presenter in the studio by a different name - thinking that the SOC was their way of handing back to him or her, not them saying their own name!