Odd misapprehensions

What's not currently on the box
Paul Hayes
625 lines

Re: Odd misapprehensions

Post by Paul Hayes »

Brock wrote:Here's an up-to-date one, with an unexpected archive TV connection.

I was listening to Clare Teal's Radio 2 show last night and she mentioned a recording by a 70s jazz band that she thought had a very odd name - "The Sheffield Bottom-Stompers". I immediately guessed that they weren't the Bottom Stompers from Sheffield, but the Stompers from the village of Sheffield Bottom in Berkshire. It turns out that they'd appeared on Opportunity Knocks once, and Hughie Green had made exactly the same mistake:

Source
Staying with Radio 2, there was an occasion in about 2010 when Michael Ball read out an e-mail from a woman he thought was called "Helvetica Bold" on his radio show, and enthused about what a marvellous name it was.

It turned out, of course, that the formatting of the e-mail had somehow gone awry when it arrived with Michael, and "Helvetica Bold" was a font name being displayed on it.

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

One I just thought of today. When Jamie Lee Curtis came on the scene (mid-late 70s I guess) most people knew she was the daughter of Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh, but before I saw her name in print I (naturally) thought it was Jamie Leigh-Curtis. Even when I saw it spelt I thought it was either a misprint or she was still meant to be named after both her mother and father, despite the spelling.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

I'm guessing but I'm still not 100% sure that her Christian name is Jamie Lee (as opposed to her using her middle name or else having a double barrelled surname).

Same with Jerry Lee Lewis. Is he Jerry or Jerry Lee? I'm guessing Jerry Lee, but I wouldn't put money on it.

Arthur Conan Doyle is another one. At birth, his surname was Doyle and his Christian names Arthur Ignatius Conan. But as an author, he began to use Conan Doyle as a surname. According to Wikipedia, his second wife was called Jean Conan Doyle rather than plain Jean Doyle.

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

In the 80's when Ceefax was on TV for long periods there used to be a page that explained what the system was. It said 'hundreds of pages are available to anyone with a suitably equipped television'. I used to think that was a type of TV and asked my dad 'do we have a 'suitably equipped television'?

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Similarly, as a kid I was puzzled by the term "available at all good bookshops". I wondered what qualified as a good bookshop.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Ross wrote:I'm guessing but I'm still not 100% sure that her Christian name is Jamie Lee (as opposed to her using her middle name or else having a double barrelled surname).

Same with Jerry Lee Lewis. Is he Jerry or Jerry Lee? I'm guessing Jerry Lee, but I wouldn't put money on it.
I promise that I'm not kidding, but I know someone who called one of her children Obvious Lee. She was talking to me about him the other day. Poor kid.

spflog1
625 lines

Post by spflog1 »

As a child, I used to think Bless This House was called Blester's House with Sid James playing a character called Blester.

A very common mistake people make to this day is that they think the 1970s BBC kids' animation Roobarb was called Roobarb & Custard.

Matty
405 lines

Post by Matty »

It’s funny how when you are a toddler you get people confused with each other to the extent that seems ridiculous when you are an adult, for instance when I was a tot I thought that Val Doonican and Andy Williams were one in the same person.

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

A very recently topical one for me. His obituaries confirmed that Jimmy Young was born in Gloucestershire yet for some reason I always had it in my head that he came from Wigan. I can only assume I must have misheard or misunderstood something years ago that stuck with me.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

spflog1 wrote:.

A very common mistake people make to this day is that they think the 1970s BBC kids' animation Roobarb was called Roobarb & Custard.
It makes more sense than Hullabaloo & Custard!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

wittoner wrote:A very recently topical one for me. His obituaries confirmed that Jimmy Young was born in Gloucestershire yet for some reason I always had it in my head that he came from Wigan. I can only assume I must have misheard or misunderstood something years ago that stuck with me.
A bit of googling reveals the surprising information that he turned down an offer of a career with Wigan Rugby League Club:

http://www.radiorewind.co.uk/radio1/jim ... g_page.htm

Or perhaps you were confused by the fact that his show came on after Terry Wigan!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

And another one I've just dug out of the recesses of my memory: I'm sure I once thought that the BBC1 "globe" ident meant that the channel could be viewed all round the world.

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Post by Paul Hayes »

On a slightly globe-related note, there's a story in my family that when my older sister was little, if a continuity announcer said "You're watching BBC1" she would ask "how do they know?"

ray lomas
405 lines

Post by ray lomas »

As a child I always thought that when a song appeared on the radio, it was the actual artist in the studio performing "live", like on Top of the Pops.

It never occurred to me that they just played the record, when I found out I was taken aback as I thought records were just for "ordinary" people.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Paul Hayes wrote:On a slightly globe-related note, there's a story in my family that when my older sister was little, if a continuity announcer said "You're watching BBC1" she would ask "how do they know?"
It still annoys me when I switch on near the end of a radio programme and they tell me "you've been listening to so-and-so".

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

When listening to record programmes as a child I always pictured the DJ sitting next to a turntable with all the records he was going to play stacked up on a giant spindle.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

I remember Chris Tarrant on Tiswas c.1981 saying that he'd met a child who thought everything on the show was live and asked what it was like having Bugs Bunny hopping around the studio.

At the time I was astonished, wondering how anyone could be that stupid.

Now I wonder if Tarrant was joking or whether the boy was and Tarrant took him at face value. I recall Tarrant telling the story straight, though.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

As a kid I thought all TV cameras worked on the same principal as my parents' Super-8 camera. In other words, I thought everything was shot on film. Even when very young, I noticed the visual difference between studio VT and location filming, but put that down to the former being shot with studio lights while the latter was filmed under natural light. After all, my house at. Ight when lit looked different to being outside in the day.

It never occurred to me to wonder how live television was possible under this arrangement, but years later I discovered that the Berlin Olympics of 1936 had been filmed with a van-mounted device that could shoot, develop and broadcast the event, so filmed live images could go out almost simultaneously.

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Post by Paul Hayes »

Ross wrote:As a kid I thought all TV cameras worked on the same principal as my parents' Super-8 camera. In other words, I thought everything was shot on film. Even when very young, I noticed the visual difference between studio VT and location filming, but put that down to the former being shot with studio lights while the latter was filmed under natural light. After all, my house at. Ight when lit looked different to being outside in the day.

It never occurred to me to wonder how live television was possible under this arrangement, but years later I discovered that the Berlin Olympics of 1936 had been filmed with a van-mounted device that could shoot, develop and broadcast the event, so filmed live images could go out almost simultaneously.
It was how the Baird system worked for everything bar the continuity in the early days of BBC Television from Alexandra Palace, too - the "intermediate film" method. The recent documentary on BBC Four reckoned they got it down to about a minute or so from shoot to transmission.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Ross wrote:Even when very young, I noticed the visual difference between studio VT and location filming, but put that down to the former being shot with studio lights while the latter was filmed under natural light. After all, my house at. Ight when lit looked different to being outside in the day.
This was a source of puzzlement to me as a child, as (like many people of that era) I'd never heard of videotape. I could see that the location shots suddenly switched to film, but had no idea what it had switched from. I remember asking my grandparents "why is this bit on film?" and being told "it's all on film". "Yes," I replied, "but it's different film..." I truly think there were some people who couldn't tell the difference.

Here's a very odd one from my teenage years, shortly after I moved to London. I knew there were two ITV companies called Thames and London Weekend, but I thought that Thames broadcast all along the Thames estuary, while London Weekend was confined to London itself. I reasoned that there must be some people in Kent who got Thames during the week and Southern at the weekends.

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

Ross wrote:I'm guessing but I'm still not 100% sure that her Christian name is Jamie Lee (as opposed to her using her middle name or else having a double barrelled surname).

I think I heard him called by his first name once years ago on a TV show and it was Jerry Lee. I'd hazard a guess and say it was to avoid confusion with Jerry Lewis as I'm fairly certain Jerry Lewis was around first, or at least got famous first.

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

ray lomas wrote:As a child I always thought that when a song appeared on the radio, it was the actual artist in the studio performing "live", like on Top of the Pops.

It never occurred to me that they just played the record, when I found out I was taken aback as I thought records were just for "ordinary" people.
I think we were all like that at a certain young age. Even with television, I thought early on that everything was performed live at the TV studio - everything. I wasn't dumb enough to think there were little people inside the TV set, or at least I don't think I was, but everything was happening as you saw it.

Thinking about music, probably the dumbest thought I had was once when we were playing 'musical chairs' at my grandparent's house and as the oldest kid there I was in charge of the stopping and starting the music, so I thought we'll just use the radio, there's bound to be some music on there. So I would start and stop the music by turning the radio on and off, thinking that by turning it off the music would also stop, and the same song would start again when I turned it on, at the same spot where I turned it off.

I can't remember how old I was, but I do remember thinking at the time, I should have been old enough to know better!

There were dozens of misapprehensions as a child, come to think of it, in regards to TV, movies and radio.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

murphy1961 wrote:So I would start and stop the music by turning the radio on and off, thinking that by turning it off the music would also stop, and the same song would start again when I turned it on, at the same spot where I turned it off.

I can't remember how old I was, but I do remember thinking at the time, I should have been old enough to know better!
And now things have come full circle. If I listen to a radio programme using the "Listen Live" option on the internet, and stop it and restart it, it starts where I left off and I wonder why the time checks are a few minutes out.

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

Matty wrote:It’s funny how when you are a toddler you get people confused with each other to the extent that seems ridiculous when you are an adult, for instance when I was a tot I thought that Val Doonican and Andy Williams were one in the same person.
There's lots of those. I used to think that Phil Silvers and Joe Flynn (from McHale's Navy) were definitely the same person. Mind you I was probably about 4 or 5 at the time. Both characters were a bit on the brusque side in their respective shows, but undoubtedly it was the glasses that did it, although Joe Flynn wasn't balding, but both usually had a cap on.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Arthur Conan Doyle is another one. At birth, his surname was Doyle and his Christian names Arthur Ignatius Conan. But as an author, he began to use Conan Doyle as a surname. According to Wikipedia, his second wife was called Jean Conan Doyle rather than plain Jean Doyle.
That's an old affectation, though, using a middle name and surname as if it's a double-barrelled surname. The same applies to the barrister Sir Edward Marshall Hall (Shadow of the Noose with Jonathan Hyde). Hall being the family name, but he was invariably referred to as "Marshall Hall."
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Ross wrote:Similarly, as a kid I was puzzled by the term "available at all good bookshops". I wondered what qualified as a good bookshop.
Because ones that did not stock the book were bad!

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Just remembered that a friend once told me that his parents had gone into an electronics retail in the mid-1990 and asked, "Have you got any Super-VHS tapes?" The salesdroid took the most expensive standard VHS blank off a shelf and said, "Well, these are very good."

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Ross wrote:As a kid I thought all TV cameras worked on the same principal as my parents' Super-8 camera. In other words, I thought everything was shot on film. Even when very young, I noticed the visual difference between studio VT and location filming, but put that down to the former being shot with studio lights while the latter was filmed under natural light. After all, my house at. Ight when lit looked different to being outside in the day.

As Paul says, the German "low-definition" service used a 35mm intermediate film system, both on location and in the studio. Unlike the BBC, they archived a lot of the film, and - incredibly - a very large number of reels survived the War to eventually turn up in East Germany. It formed the basis of a 1999 German documentary Das Fernsehen unter dem Hakenkreuz ("Television Under the Swastika"), shown here as part of C4's Secret History in 2001.

JezR
625 lines

Post by JezR »

[see below]

JezR
625 lines

Post by JezR »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
Ross wrote:Similarly, as a kid I was puzzled by the term "available at all good bookshops". I wondered what qualified as a good bookshop.
Because ones that did not stock the book were bad!
Hence the phrase 'available at all good bookshops and WH Smiths'.