Odd misapprehensions

What's not currently on the box
spflog1
625 lines

Re: Odd misapprehensions

Post by spflog1 »

Kids used to get Michael Rodd and John Craven muddled up back in the seventies. I recall Craven being very confused one week by a letter he'd received on Swap Shop. I laughed because I realised it was the answer to a question from the previous week's Screen Test.

Bodie
625 lines

Post by Bodie »

murphy1961 wrote:I would start and stop the music by turning the radio on and off, thinking that by turning it off the music would also stop, and the same song would start again when I turned it on, at the same spot where I turned it off.
I well recall being sent to bed before a particular show had finished and begging my mum to turn the TV off straight away. "Why?" she asked. I told her it was so I could turn it back on the next day and watch the rest without missing any.

As Brock says, we've come full circle. With DVDs, we can stop any time and pick up from that point again (so long as the disc stays in the machine).

I also remember when Mum told me she'd entered me in a sweep for the Melbourne Cup. I burst into tears. She asked my why, and I told her it was because I didn't know how to ride a horse! (On the good side, my horse won and I got $21 - a fortune!).

Last one - also involving Mum again. One morning Mum said "Did you know Ronnie Biggs is going to Prince Charles wedding? He's going to hold up Lady Di's train." Not having a clue who Ronnie Biggs was or what he'd done, I had no idea this was a joke. I just assumed he was someone important I should have heard of, and everyone knew about. Fast forward to the next morning at school when we started with current affairs and Mr Morris asked if we had any news stories to share. I thrust my arm up high, wriggling in my seat and bursting with my news.
"Okay Bodie, what news have you heard?"
"Ronnie Biggs is going to Prince Charles' wedding!"
(Pause)
"No, I don't think so. Anyone else?"

I was massively deflated but in retrospect I'm glad I didn't say the 'train' part as I could've got in real trouble if the teacher thought I was being 'smart' rather than just coming across as confused.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Bodie wrote:
As Brock says, we've come full circle. With DVDs, we can stop any time and pick up from that point again (so long as the disc stays in the machine).
I can't remember where I read this - possibly on this very forum - but when the option to "pause live TV" first became available, at least one confused viewer refused to use it because he didn't want to annoy the millions of other viewers whose enjoyment of the programme would be interrupted.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Brock wrote:I can't remember where I read this - possibly on this very forum - but when the option to "pause live TV" first became available, at least one confused viewer refused to use it because he didn't want to annoy the millions of other viewers whose enjoyment of the programme would be interrupted.
To reuse a phrase from earlier in the thread "This isn't a genuine misapprehension - it was a joke ". Peter Kay I believe.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Ian Wegg wrote: To reuse a phrase from earlier in the thread "This isn't a genuine misapprehension - it was a joke ". Peter Kay I believe.
Oh that's a disappointment. I could have sworn it was an actual anecdote.

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

Another childhood one. In the early years I used to think that Davy Jones sang all the Monkees songs, because obviously he was the singer and drummers don't sing, although I can't believe I didn't see Mickey Dolenz singing in one of the clips, maybe I thought he was just singing along with the others. Now (and in the last 20-30 years) it's obvious to me that MD sang most of the songs and did a pretty good job too. As Bobby Hart who co-wrote a lot of their early songs said on the DVD set I have, he was one of the great pop singers of the 60s, I don't think he was far wrong.