Odd misapprehensions

What's not currently on the box
ghughesarch
405 lines

Re: Odd misapprehensions

Post by ghughesarch »

Simon36 wrote:
marsey wrote:Couple of things. News programmes in the 70s and early 80s mentioning guerillas (why are there never any references to 'guerillas' any more?) me and my friends thought that we were fighting against apes with machineguns, much like happened in Planet of the Apes.
Me too! And the Daily Mirror always referred to Tony Benn as "Mr Benn", so I naturally assumed they were talking about the one who lived in Festive Road.
For some reason I always thought Mr Benn (of the cartoons) was David Dimbleby. Must have been the suit and the haircut c1975.

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

Not TV-related, but when I registered for the British Gas share offer I was asked during the telephone conversation for my surname and first initial. To the latter question I replied "R-for-Robert". Two days later I received the information pack, addressed to "Arthur Robert Richardson". "Arthur" haunted me for a few years, with various bits of correspondence turning up in that name.
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Bob, a former girlfriends Mum, Carole, told me that when she started work at a new office there were introductions, so she said she was Carole, with an e, and at Christmas got cards addressed to Carole Withanee. You should have used the phonetic alphabet and become Romeo Richardson!

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

... and despite spelling-out my surname, I was once Fireman Cadard, according to those masters of communication the Royal Mail.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Duncan wrote:Glad to see I wasn't the only one to think that guerillas were gorillas!
You certainly weren't.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Mark wrote:Michael Aspel used to joke, that people in the street, would call out 'Hello Ask', when he presented "Ask Aspel", ( at least I think he was joking!).
And I was one of those kids who thought that Jimmy Savile's first name was Jimmel. It didn't help that he was referred to as Mr Fixit.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

SgtPepper wrote:I remember two kids at school a few years younger than me who used to play Batman and Robin. If another friend turned up they used to play Alias, Smith, and Jones.
The very plummy continuity voice that announced Ben Elton's follow up to The Young Ones seemed to think it was about two people, one called Filthy Rich and the other called Catflap.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Ross wrote:
And I was one of those kids who thought that Jimmy Savile's first name was Jimmel. It didn't help that he was referred to as Mr Fixit.
A bit like Tommo Connor then...

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

A friend said his mum was convinced there was a Scouse Comic called Timmy Jarbuck,

God knows what she called Marty Feldman.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Ross wrote: The very plummy continuity voice that announced Ben Elton's follow up to The Young Ones seemed to think it was about two people, one called Filthy Rich and the other called Catflap.
If you're telling me that isn't the case then you can chalk it up as one of my misapprehensions but in my defence I never watched it.

It was only earlier this year that I discovered the brilliantly simple explanation of why Audrey and Katherine Hepburn were nothing like each other, I'd spent my life up to that point believing they were sisters.

~iw

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Ross wrote:A friend said his mum was convinced there was a Scouse Comic called Timmy Jarbuck
Reminds me of that scene from the film of "Porridge":

"We might be getting that Jimmy Tarbrush."
"Buck."
"Oh yes, Buck Tarbrush."

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Ross wrote:
SgtPepper wrote:I remember two kids at school a few years younger than me who used to play Batman and Robin. If another friend turned up they used to play Alias, Smith, and Jones.
The very plummy continuity voice that announced Ben Elton's follow up to The Young Ones seemed to think it was about two people, one called Filthy Rich and the other called Catflap.
I remember Channel Four doing something similar. In this case, I don't think it was the announcer so much as the accompanying graphic and if I remember correctly, the title on the graphic seemed to promise us three violinists: Itzhak, Perlman and Pinchas Zukerman.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Oh! I got one: I always thought that if you lied until your face went orange, and this was a known and proven fact, that people wouldn't trust you or reward you. Well, so much for that idea.
This is nøt å signåture.™

David Plaice
405 lines

Post by David Plaice »

I thought I was being asked to send a cheque or post allorder.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Spiny Norman wrote:Oh! I got one: I always thought that if you lied until your face went orange, and this was a known and proven fact, that people wouldn't trust you or reward you. Well, so much for that idea.
PMSL.

And on the cheque or post allorder front, did other people spend time searching for good book cellers in those days?

Nigel Stapley
625 lines

Post by Nigel Stapley »

Back in the 60s, I was convinced there was a BBC newsreader called Al Varley-Dell.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Simon36 wrote:And on the cheque or post allorder front, did other people spend time searching for good book cellers in those days?
I know someone who as a girl was quite disappointed at the lack of warm air generated by Portsmouth's Warm Air Orial (war memorial).

boblet
405 lines

Post by boblet »

The very young me thought that Man In A Suitcase was literally about a man carried around in a suitcase, like in The Secret Service...

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

I've just been reminded of another one that sort of fits. Just after Christmas 1976 when we went back to school we started chatting about the Rod Stewart concert that was on The Old Grey Whistle Test. After a bit of discussion on the merits or not of Rod Stewart and someone saying how much better the Queen concert had been the previous year, someone else joined in and said he hadn't seen it and had always thought The Old Grey Whistle Test was about cars. No real explanation that I can think of but I think it comes under the heading of "odd".

Clive
625 lines

Post by Clive »

The Glen Campbell song "Rhinestone Cowboy" contains the line "There's been a load of compromisin' On the road to my horizon..." which I as an 8 year old in the late 70's interpreted that Mr Campbell had just taken delivery of a brand new Talbot Horizon car, as had my father at the time.

I still can't listen to that song today without imagining Glen Campbell dressed in his cowboy finery striding down the road towards a bright yellow example of late 70's car perfection.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Back in the day (before 'Tinternet) communications pretty much revolved around FAX machines. We took on a school leaver and at some stage during the day she was given a letter and sent off to the FAX machine which, as I remember, was in the Server room, so out of the way. Time went by and a client rang up who was fuming because he had been receiving FAX after FAX all afternoon. We went to find the girl and she was distraught and in tears by the machine saying "I keep putting it in but it just comes straight back out again". Funny in the cold light of day but I can sort of see how her mind was working.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

I was just out of college, looking for work, and doing the rounds of the agencies in the City. I was going through my CV with one of the staff and at another desk was a chap who just just finished his interview. He was about to leave and realised he hadn't got his keys. Mobiles were not that common then, so he asked if he could phone his wife (of course you can) and told her the situation. He covered the mouthpiece and asked if the office had a fax machine (yes, lady behind desk points to number on business card) and he asks his wife to fax the keys over to this number. I'm guessing they didn't bother to keep him on their books when he nipped outside 'to have a fag and get something to eat' while he waited.

Oh, and one of my own misunderstandings. I was about 8 when Sapphire and Steel went out, and in one adventure (5, I think) set in a gothic mansion someone has a petri dish of cultures thrown in their face. My young mind remembered this as pilchards and the face melting. I wouldn't touch pilchards for years.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

stearn wrote:...and he asks his wife to fax the keys over to this number.
I don't get it?? Or is it so incredibly stupid that there is nothing to get? Did his wife have a fax at home, which is uncommon? If so, then why wouldn't he know the first thing about it?
Or did he think it had star trek beaming logic, so you only need a transporter room on one end to reach to just anywhere and pull in objects?
If so, why didn't they offer to fax him back home instead? Could have saved him the commute.
These are probably not questions you can answer, I know that.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

SgtPepper wrote:... someone else joined in and said he hadn't seen it and had always thought The Old Grey Whistle Test was about cars. No real explanation that I can think of but I think it comes under the heading of "odd".
I had no idea what The Old Grey Whistle Test was about. It was late at night on BBC2, well past my bedtime, and the title didn't give you a clue about the content. I think the first time I got a clue was when I saw the spoof on End of Part One.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Brock wrote:
I had no idea what The Old Grey Whistle Test was about.
And on a similar theme, I remember regularly seeing the listings for Gus Honeybun's Birthdays on Westward in the daily paper. We didn't receive Westward where I lived, and I was sorely puzzled about who this character Gus Honeybun was and why he seemed to have a birthday every day!

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

Brock wrote:
Brock wrote:
I had no idea what The Old Grey Whistle Test was about.
And on a similar theme, I remember regularly seeing the listings for Gus Honeybun's Birthdays on Westward in the daily paper. We didn't receive Westward where I lived, and I was sorely puzzled about who this character Gus Honeybun was and why he seemed to have a birthday every day!
I had a friend at primary school who's mother sent his birthday in every year and it never got read out. Then at the age of 12 when we'd reached the "big boys" school she still sent it in and it did get read out - and he was very embarrassed.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Another source of puzzlement was the titles of Welsh-language programmes (we lived in the HTV West region). With the daily BBC Wales current affairs programme Heddiw (Today), I somehow got the impression that the title was Welsh for "hello" and that the programme started with this greeting to viewers. But its HTV Wales counterpart, Y Dydd (The Day), was more confusing - I couldn't work out what it meant but assumed it was pronounced "I did", as though there were a sister programme called "I didn't".

JezR
625 lines

Post by JezR »

Nigel Stapley wrote:Back in the 60s, I was convinced there was a BBC newsreader called Al Varley-Dell.
Robert Dougall said in his autobiography that at least one person thought his name was Alexander Paris. From the phrase "and now for the news over to Alexandra Palace".

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Many years ago, I read a story about a child writing to a female weather announcer and calling her Auntie Cyclone.

David Smith
405 lines

Post by David Smith »

When I watched the Generation Game when I was little, and the disembodied voice would start announcing the prizes on the conveyor belt with the perennial phrase "And on the conveyor belt tonight...", I thought he was saying what the first item was - I couldn't figure out what "an ontheconveyorbelttonight" was...