Odd misapprehensions

What's not currently on the box
Brock
HD

Re: Odd misapprehensions

Post by Brock »

David Smith wrote:When I watched the Generation Game when I was little, and the disembodied voice would start announcing the prizes on the conveyor belt with the perennial phrase "And on the conveyor belt tonight...", I thought he was saying what the first item was - I couldn't figure out what "an ontheconveyorbelttonight" was...
There was a common joke at the time along these lines, about a supposed Irish contestant who could only remember "two doors and a conveyor belt". I remember one contestant who actually tried to slip these items in at the end, only he got it wrong and said "two doors and an escalator". I don't think Brucie was amused!

I've got a great one from 1982. My great-aunt had called a TV repairman round to her house, and as a courtesy he'd tuned the fourth channel in to the Channel 4 test transmissions, ahead of the channel's launch.

"I don't know why he bothered," she complained to me. "I'm not going to watch it at breakfast time."

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

When I first saw The Muppet Show I thought (understandably) it was made in the US and it took me a long time until I found out it wasn't.

Also when I first came across the name Monty Python, I thought it must have been a person, but not Marty Feldman though, I knew who he was, I thought M Python was just some unknown person.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

murphy1961 wrote:When I first saw The Muppet Show I thought (understandably) it was made in the US and it took me a long time until I found out it wasn't.
I don't think that's a particularly unusual misapprehension. In fact I was speaking to someone just the other day who thought it was a US series and was quite surprised to learn otherwise.

It was the other way round for me. I knew it was a British series from the outset because of the ATV ident at the beginning, and couldn't work out why all the characters had American accents, or why the guest celebrities were nearly all people I'd never heard of. I also couldn't work out whether it was meant to be a children's programme or an adult programme, and whether there was an actual live audience or not.

Nor can I understand to this day why viewers are (apparently) forbidden to see the workings of the puppets, even on other programmes where the Muppets appear as guests. I'd love to see the puppeteers in action. Is it a contractual thing, or have I just missed out?

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

I remember being an excited six year old anticipating the very first episode and thinking it was called The Puppet Show. Both my brother and I thought the bear was called Fuzzy for the first few episodes. I might not have discovered his real name until I got the annual and saw it in print.

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

I can remember when an episode of Monty Python first aired(I think it's the one with Watney's Red Barrel), and the introduction credits didn't air until well into the episode. Being young at the time, I thought that that meant that there would be 25+ minutes still coming AFTER the credits finally aired, and how clever the Pythons had been for finding a way to make an extra-length episode. When the entire episode still ran the 30 or so minutes, even though the introduction credits had only run nearly thirty minutes in, I remember feeling cheated.
Great News Inside, Chums!

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote:I can remember when an episode of Monty Python first aired(I think it's the one with Watney's Red Barrel), and the introduction credits didn't air until well into the episode. Being young at the time, I thought that that meant that there would be 25+ minutes still coming AFTER the credits finally aired, and how clever the Pythons had been for finding a way to make an extra-length episode. When the entire episode still ran the 30 or so minutes, even though the introduction credits had only run nearly thirty minutes in, I remember feeling cheated.
They are the ones who issued a 3-sided record, so I wouldn't have put it past them...
This is nøt å signåture.™

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

I'm sure it's a joke, but someone on another Forum asked which channel this new show 'Netflix' airs on...
Great News Inside, Chums!

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

It's amazing how this thread has dredged up some long forgotten memories. I remember at school one of my friends had a mother who thought Brendon Foster was in Man About the House.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Amazing! We had a 'mock' exam paper at school where Donald Farfrae in The Mayor of Casterbridge was referred to as 'Fairfax' throughout. (John Fairfax had just finished rowing solo across the Pacific).
We made the most of it, as you would!

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

I remember being puzzled the first time I saw a quiz show offer a new "kitchen" as a prize. I thought that most people would already have a kitchen, I genuinely believed that builders would be sent round to the winner to extend their house.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

Well ever time they refurbish a house on Homes Under the Hammer I hate it when they say it needs a "new" kitchen and they put it in the same place as the "old" one.
It's the same kitchen just new fittings!!!!

opaltotem
405 lines

Post by opaltotem »

I didn't realise that 'sticky-backed plastic' was Sellotape for many years; I thought it was a product that my local stationers never had in stock.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

opaltotem wrote:I didn't realise that 'sticky-backed plastic' was Sellotape for many years; I thought it was a product that my local stationers never had in stock.
It isn't. It's Fablon, a product that I have never once had cause to buy:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk ... ck-plastic

I hope you didn't go round covering everything in Sellotape when they asked for it! (Sellotape was referred to as "sticky tape".)

jeffcv
405 lines

Post by jeffcv »

I'm sure hundreds must have thought that both Peter Purves and Peter Duncan were the "Blue" Peter, because I originally thought that Christopher Trace was!

smorodina
405 lines

Post by smorodina »

When Blue Peter was shown in my childhood in the 60s, it began with a couple of minutes of film of a sailing ship. I always thought that this film was 'Blue Peter' - like a sort of interlude (which were still being shown occasionally back then) - and that the magazine programme that followed was something else.
Andy Hurwitz

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Brian F wrote:Well ever time they refurbish a house on Homes Under the Hammer I hate it when they say it needs a "new" kitchen and they put it in the same place as the "old" one.
It's the same kitchen just new fittings!!!!
I hate it when they go around the house saying, "Looking at this lovely bannister, these original fireplaces, and all these other wonderful period features..." and then return six months later to find the bastards who bought it have ripped them all out. Scum.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

smorodina wrote:When Blue Peter was shown in my childhood in the 60s, it began with a couple of minutes of film of a sailing ship. I always thought that this film was 'Blue Peter' - like a sort of interlude (which were still being shown occasionally back then) - and that the magazine programme that followed was something else.
This isn't a genuine misapprehension - it was a joke - but when those interludes came up with the caption "The next programme follows shortly", my grandmother would sometimes say "well, this must be Shortly, then".

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

Brock wrote:
murphy1961 wrote:When I first saw The Muppet Show I thought (understandably) it was made in the US and it took me a long time until I found out it wasn't.
I don't think that's a particularly unusual misapprehension. In fact I was speaking to someone just the other day who thought it was a US series and was quite surprised to learn otherwise.

It was the other way round for me. I knew it was a British series from the outset because of the ATV ident at the beginning, and couldn't work out why all the characters had American accents, or why the guest celebrities were nearly all people I'd never heard of. I also couldn't work out whether it was meant to be a children's programme or an adult programme, and whether there was an actual live audience or not.
I'm sure I used to think the Thunderbirds and Stingray were American too, because of the accents, but when I first came across those shows (mid-late 60s) I doubt I was old enough to have picked up differences in accents. I think this thought probably came some time later. They were also ATV shows but that would've meant very little to me way back when. Plus with all that stuff about submarines, rockets and spaceships etc, it had to be American!

smorodina
405 lines

Post by smorodina »

Brock wrote:
smorodina wrote:When Blue Peter was shown in my childhood in the 60s, it began with a couple of minutes of film of a sailing ship. I always thought that this film was 'Blue Peter' - like a sort of interlude (which were still being shown occasionally back then) - and that the magazine programme that followed was something else.
This isn't a genuine misapprehension - it was a joke - but when those interludes came up with the caption "The next programme follows shortly", my grandmother would sometimes say "well, this must be Shortly, then".
Not quite sure why you don't think that's a misapprehension?
Andy Hurwitz

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

smorodina wrote:
Brock wrote:
Because it was a joke, as I just said!

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

That HAS to be a joke! No-one over the age of three could think that 'Shortly' was the name of a television programme.
I remember thinking that 'too far' was at the bottom end of a local churchyard, because I'd asked if we could go there, and been told 'No. That's too far'.
Mind you, I was only about three at the time.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

brigham wrote:No-one over the age of three could think that 'Shortly' was the name of a television programme.
But an awful lot of people think that "Strictly" is...

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

True. I should have said 'mental' age of three.

smorodina
405 lines

Post by smorodina »

Brock wrote:
smorodina wrote:
Brock wrote:
Because it was a joke, as I just said!
Sorry for being dim, but what was a joke? My post or Blue Peter?
Andy Hurwitz

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

You need to read Brock's post in isolation. The 'joke' comment was in reference to his own post, not your Blue Peter recollection that was quoted.

Don't worry, I made the same mistake.

smorodina
405 lines

Post by smorodina »

Ian Wegg wrote:You need to read Brock's post in isolation. The 'joke' comment was in reference to his own post, not your Blue Peter recollection that was quoted.

Don't worry, I made the same mistake.
Thanks, I can see that now! Slow brain day today!
Andy Hurwitz

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Ah, I see. A misapprehension about a misapprehension about a misapprehension! Sorry for any confusion.

ican
405 lines

Post by ican »

When I was very young I thought the continuity announcer said " Here is the ladies' news from ITN" . I remember thinking that ITV news was for ladies and BBC for men. What I couldn't work out was why my dad would always watch the ladies' news.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

ican wrote:When I was very young I thought the continuity announcer said " Here is the ladies' news from ITN" . I remember thinking that ITV news was for ladies and BBC for men. What I couldn't work out was why my dad would always watch the ladies' news.
Okay...that's a good'n...very funny!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Here's an up-to-date one, with an unexpected archive TV connection.

I was listening to Clare Teal's Radio 2 show last night and she mentioned a recording by a 70s jazz band that she thought had a very odd name - "The Sheffield Bottom-Stompers". I immediately guessed that they weren't the Bottom Stompers from Sheffield, but the Stompers from the village of Sheffield Bottom in Berkshire. It turns out that they'd appeared on Opportunity Knocks once, and Hughie Green had made exactly the same mistake:

Source