Re-formatted shows

What's not currently on the box
Mark
Committee

Re-formatted shows

Post by Mark »

It's already been mentioned in another thread about changes from pilots to series, but what about changes during a run.

"The Larkins" ended it's run, but was brought back with a change of setting and the family members absent, and "Home James" dropped most of the cast in the middle of the show's run.

"Oh No, It's Selwyn Froggitt" became "Selwyn" for the final series, and the character was off to a holiday camp.

I thought the 1975 series, "The Growing Pains Of PC Penrose" was excellent, really funny, but when it came back in 1977, it had a change of cast and location and was renamed "Rosie", still very good, as you would expect from the brilliant Roy Clarke, ( and should be out on DVD ) but I liked the 75 series a lot.

"The Grimleys" seemed to be quite happy in 1976, but the final series moved it on to 78, and it didn't work anywhere near as well.

Some odd decisions,along the way.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Re: Re-formatted shows

Post by Paul Hayes »

"Doctor Who", of course, with the changes to the lead but perhaps in terms of format most notably during the "trapped on Earth" years of the early 1970s.

"Rockcliffe's Babies" / "Rockcliffe's Folly" might be another example?

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

SPECIAL BRANCH - within the original vt episodes, (I'm not even including the later film series as a continuation, 'cos it's not).

FAMILY AFFAIRS - which was radically altered several times.

If you want to include THE LARKINS, then I think TENKO can be included too with it's final series following life after the prison camps for the most part.

SOFTLY SOFTLY into SOFTLY SOFTLY TASK FORCE.

THE MAN IN ROOM 17 morphed into the more esoteric THE FELLOWES.

JONATHAN CREEK became ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE...

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Selwyn and Not On Your Nellie were both the results of a star annoying their co-stars to the extent that they quit en masse.

I've no idea why PC Penrose was reformatted, though.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

"Special Branch" is a good one, I forgot about that.

"Who" also with the 'Earth' era, I suppose was a big enough change in an ever changing series...so you could include "Blakes 7", with the change from series 3 to 4.

Also "Space 1999", underground and changes of cast in series 2.

"Hancoc'k Half Hour" with the final "Hancock" series minus Sid and in a new location.

"That's My Boy", moving from the flat to the country for series 4 and 5, presumably due to running out of ideas for the flat scenario, which may be the reason for the format change for "The Larkins".

I know about the "Selwyn" cast leading to the change (although I think it's mentioned in Maynard's Autobiog, it was at his behest!) and of course Baker and Jewell famously didn't get on, but I always assumed "N&D" had just ran it's course.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

ian b wrote:JONATHAN CREEK became ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE...
I don't believe it!

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

Is the original Battlestar Galactica allowed?

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

Not sure if Grange Hill fits the criteria. For most of its run it was set in North London. For the last few series after the school burnt down a location was never mentioned but the pupils all had scouse accents,

JezR
625 lines

Post by JezR »

Fresh Fields into French Fields.

They managed to have a silver wedding anniversary in each version.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

re. The That's My Boy relocation. As a boy of 14, I found that spectacularly exciting. Looking back, I've no idea why.

Catweazle relocated for series two (against Richard Carpenter's will) with just Geoffrey Bayldon remaining.

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

Ross wrote:Catweazle relocated for series two (against Richard Carpenter's will) with just Geoffrey Bayldon remaining.
It's been a while since I watched it last. Didn't the first series end with him getting home and then repeating his mistake for the second series?

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Ross wrote:Selwyn and Not On Your Nellie were both the results of a star annoying their co-stars to the extent that they quit en masse.
I'm not sure about Selwyn, but Not On Your Nellie wasn't exactly a reformatting - it was a different show featuring Hylda Baker playing a different character, albeit one with the same first name and a very similar personality (to get round rights issues presumably). A similar example would be Happy Ever After/Terry and June.

Top Gear has got to be one of the oddest ones. The original BBC show of that name, which started as a Midlands regional programme in 1977, was a magazine programme about motoring. It was cancelled in 2001 and most of the production team moved to Channel 5 to create Fifth Gear. However the BBC retained the rights to the name and launched the Clarkson version the following year, which bore little resemblance to its predecessor.

(And if I can digress onto radio for a moment, I remember the confusion when the Radio 4 travel and transport magazine Going Places was replaced by another show in the same slot about "things to do", also called Going Places. It took me some time to work out why the format was so different.)

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Doom Patrol wrote:
Ross wrote:Catweazle relocated for series two (against Richard Carpenter's will) with just Geoffrey Bayldon remaining.
It's been a while since I watched it last. Didn't the first series end with him getting home and then repeating his mistake for the second series?
Yes. Carpenter wanted him to return to the farm for series two, but LWT thought a stately home and aristocratic family would be better for international sales. At the end of series two, Catweazle flies off in a balloon. Carpenter said he wanted episode one of series three to open with the balloon coming down next to Carrot's farm and with the pair being reunited, but it wasn't to be.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Doom Patrol wrote:Is the original Battlestar Galactica allowed?
Yes...it fits!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I think if it's a change under the same title (or similar) it's a re-format, but if it's a character in a different titled series, it's a spin-off.

So, as Hylda Baker did play a different character in "Not On You Nellie", it's neither.

It would mean that the filmed series of "Special Branch" was a re-format of the VT one ( even if it is a completely different series), so re-formatted twice, in fact.

Arthur Lowe as Leonard Swindley ( from "Corrie") starred in the comedy "Pardon The Expression", so that would be a spin-off, and the character was placed in "Turn Out The Lights" ( along with Robert Dorning as his ex manager) as ghost hunters, that would be a further spin-off.

Therefore, I suppose you would have to say that "Cat's Eyes" was a spin off from "The Gentle Touch" with Maggie Forbes ( Jill Gascoine) moving into the former.

Stephen Lewis as Blakey in "Don't Drink The Water", that was a spin-off from "On The Buses",then again, you have Anna Karen as Olive moving from "On The Buses" to "The Rag Trade" ( if we accept it's the same character) but "The Rag Trade" was obviously not a re-format or a spin-off from "On The Buses".

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Mark wrote:but "The Rag Trade" was obviously not a re-format or a spin-off from "On The Buses".
But you might consider it a re-format of the original BBC series.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Simon Coward wrote:
Mark wrote:but "The Rag Trade" was obviously not a re-format or a spin-off from "On The Buses".
But you might consider it a re-format of the original BBC series.
Yes, that's true.!

Not sure what "Wild WIld Women" was though, as it's a different title it's not a re-format, and as the characters were different it's not a spin-off, just a similar idea set in a different period.

"Fresh" into "French Fields" ( as JezR mentioned) is a good one, which even managed to revert back to it's original format, when they went back home and Sonia ( 'It's only Sonia') but only to conclude the whole series.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Does Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister count? The plot device at the end of Yes Minister was quite ingenious, with Sir Humphrey being promoted to Cabinet Secretary right at the beginning of the (hour-long) episode, then Jim Hacker finding himself unexpectedly raised to the office of PM at the end because of internal party politicking. (He then asks Bernard to come with him to be Private Secretary, which is a bit of a cheat as that would probably be against Civil Service rules.)

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

The preview programme LINE-UP gradually morphing into something more and LATE NIGHT LINE-UP.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

"Line Up" 's a good one.

So is "Yes/Prime Minister", "Party Games" is my favourite episode, a clever transition into "YPM", and a great cast too.

There is also "Hugh And I" of course, the last series saw the duo of on a cruise, and then a change again into "Hugh And I Spy".

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Light Lunch/Late Lunch?

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

The brilliant LOVE SOUP was changed for its second series into half-hour episodes and was much more of a straight comedy. And that was a David Renwick show, too. ATTACHMENTS switched to half-hours in series 2 as well but the rest of it stayed much the same, just a bit of a cast shake up.

HEARTS AND BONES with Dervla Kirwan had a very perplexing makeover. After a superb and very fraught first series, the second was a comedy-drama. The only bit of which I can remember was putting Amanda Holden's character in a neck brace to raise a giggle or two.

AUF WIEDERSEHEN, PET had a vastly different life on the BBC, and I thought it was dreadful, but I didn't think much of series two on ITV either. It became a far-fetched caper show.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Simon36 wrote:The brilliant LOVE SOUP was changed for its second series into half-hour episodes
Which reminds me of The Bill - it started as weekly hour-long post-watershed episodes, then switched to twice-weekly half-hour episodes and adopted more of a "soap opera" feel, then switched back to hour-long episodes again. There may have been other changes as well.

And of course Only Fools and Horses switched from 30-minute to 50-minute episodes, changing from a "straight" sitcom with one with more elements of continuing drama.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

I've seen Roy Minton's Play For Today Horace, but only glimpsed clips of the half hour series made ten years later. The latter, however, seems fairly different, more a gentle sitcom than the bittersweet original. And with a new cast aside from Barry Jackson.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Brock wrote:
Simon36 wrote:The brilliant LOVE SOUP was changed for its second series into half-hour episodes
Which reminds me of The Bill - it started as weekly hour-long post-watershed episodes, then switched to twice-weekly half-hour episodes and adopted more of a "soap opera" feel, then switched back to hour-long episodes again. There may have been other changes as well.

And of course Only Fools and Horses switched from 30-minute to 50-minute episodes, changing from a "straight" sitcom with one with more elements of continuing drama.
I'm not sure I agree about The Bill. For the first decade of its half-hour episodes, I'd argue only the episode length had changed. The soapy stuff came later.

David Smith
405 lines

Post by David Smith »

Simon36 wrote:AUF WIEDERSEHEN, PET had a vastly different life on the BBC, and I thought it was dreadful, but I didn't think much of series two on ITV either. It became a far-fetched caper show.
Does anybody remember that curious thing ITV did with AWP (I *think* as a spoiler for the first few weeks of EastEnders in 1985), where they chopped it into half hour chunks pre-watershed(!), as a twice-weekly "soap"? Didn't really work, especially the false cliffhangers at the half hour mark. Very odd.

(I know it doesn't really fit in the thread, just my memory was jogged at the mention of AWP.)

perov
405 lines

Post by perov »

Trippers Day (1984) starring Leonard Rossiter, turned in to Slingers Day with Bruce Forsyth after Rossiter's death.
It was a surprise it was continued into the new title, both were rather poor.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

perov wrote:Trippers Day (1984) starring Leonard Rossiter, turned in to Slingers Day with Bruce Forsyth after Rossiter's death.
I never understood the new title. The old one was obviously a pun on "day tripper" What's a "day slinger"?

David Smith
405 lines

Post by David Smith »

Brock wrote:
perov wrote:Trippers Day (1984) starring Leonard Rossiter, turned in to Slingers Day with Bruce Forsyth after Rossiter's death.
I never understood the new title. The old one was obviously a pun on "day tripper" What's a "day slinger"?
Well, there's a thing - until I read your post now, I hadn't twigged the first series joke :-( (And never mind what's a day slinger, why was it particularly Tripper's "day"...?)

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Hadn't thought about that, was it perhaps because, as he was the new boss...it was now his 'Day'.

Another one for the list would be "The KIt Curran Radio Show", renamed "Kit Curran" for series 2, as he was sacked and tried to set up a pirate station in a new town.