Re-formatted shows

What's not currently on the box
Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Re: Re-formatted shows

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Roy Clarke recyled Pulaski into The World of Eddie Weary. Unfortunately.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Post by Paul Hayes »

Speaking of game shows, it was noted in one (and doubtless more) of the recent interviews around the 1000th episode celebrations that Pointless originally had five pairs of contestants, but - evidently at Armstrong's suggestion - cut it down to four so as to be able to include more of the chat and back-and-forth between Armstrong, Osman and the contestants in the final edits.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

"Pointless"...'It's Family Fortunes in reverse' as pointed out by Richard Osman.

I can see why they tweaked the "Millionaire" format ( as mentioned) the first few questions were a waste of time, watching some of them on Challenge, even Chris Tarrant seemed bored.

I suppose "Last Of The Summer Wine" was re-formatted, when it changed from three blokes wandering around beautiful countryside, and then widened out to an ensemble piece, with Roy Clarke cleverly incorporating elements from his other creations, "Open All Hours" and "Rosie".

Always enjoyed it, but preferred the former incarnation ( "Full Steam Behind" was my favourite episode, just the three of them really!).
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Paul Hayes wrote:Speaking of game shows, it was noted in one (and doubtless more) of the recent interviews around the 1000th episode celebrations that Pointless originally had five pairs of contestants, but - evidently at Armstrong's suggestion - cut it down to four so as to be able to include more of the chat and back-and-forth between Armstrong, Osman and the contestants in the final edits.
Didn't that coincide with the move from BBC2 to BBC1?

Pointless has had several format changes. As I recall, when it started all the rounds were "open" rounds, but then they started to run out of categories. One type of round that has come and gone is the "multiple choice" round (which I never liked much).

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

An interesting one is Midsomer Murders with the change of the lead. I remember working in Denmark /Germany at the time and they kept on about the Inspector Barnaby program - they had to explain and I realised they meant MM. Hence, when the lead changed, the replacement had to be a 'Barnaby' to avoid the Taggart situation for the foreign broadcasters.

David Smith
405 lines

Post by David Smith »

Brock wrote:
Paul Hayes wrote:Speaking of game shows, it was noted in one (and doubtless more) of the recent interviews around the 1000th episode celebrations that Pointless originally had five pairs of contestants, but - evidently at Armstrong's suggestion - cut it down to four so as to be able to include more of the chat and back-and-forth between Armstrong, Osman and the contestants in the final edits.
Didn't that coincide with the move from BBC2 to BBC1?

Pointless has had several format changes. As I recall, when it started all the rounds were "open" rounds, but then they started to run out of categories. One type of round that has come and gone is the "multiple choice" round (which I never liked much).
Yes, I guess having more of the old-style "open" rounds allowed in itself for more banter with the contestants (as opposed to Xander and Richard), since they went round everybody more times (at least three I think).

The multiple choice rounds, do you mean the ones where at least one option was pointless and one was incorrect? I quite liked the jokey answers they stuck in there to trip people up :)

voyager
405 lines

Post by voyager »

Between The Lines pretty much changed for each of it's three series. The first was straight CIB with Clark, Naylor and Connolly investigating various possible corruption cases within the force.
The second had Clark getting embroiled with MI5 and the third had Clark and Naylor freelancing.
Always good but I much preferred the first series

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

David Smith wrote: The multiple choice rounds, do you mean the ones where at least one option was pointless and one was incorrect? I quite liked the jokey answers they stuck in there to trip people up :)
Yes, I did. I always found them a bit frustrating since they didn't give the contestants the opportunity to come up with their own answers. I'm glad they were abandoned.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Here's one I've just thought of: The Upchat Line, starring John Alderton as Mike Upchat, became The Upchat Connection, starring Robin Nedwell as a different Mike Upchat - the original having raffled all his names and identities.

Controller 2957
625 lines

Post by Controller 2957 »

Danger Man went from being a half-hour series about an American NATO agent to a one-hour series about an apparently British agent working for a government department called M9. And before you say it, no, Danger Man DIDN'T morph into The Prisoner no matter what the anoraks would have us believe.

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century was re-tooled for the second season with the loss of the Earth-bound stories, Dr Huer, Dr Theopolis, Princess Ardala, and Kane and the introduction of The Seeker, Admiral Efram Asimov (a descendant of the famous science fiction author Isaac Asimov), Hawk, Dr Goodfellow and the obligatory smart-arsed robot, Crichton.
You see, no-one... NO-ONE escapes the new world!!

The Official Timeslip Website
http://www.timeslip.org.uk

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

I don't remember Chrichton in Buck Rogers.
There again, I do remember Buster Crabbe and Constance Moore being in it!

Controller 2957
625 lines

Post by Controller 2957 »

brigham wrote:I don't remember Chrichton in Buck Rogers.
There again, I do remember Buster Crabbe and Constance Moore being in it!
The UNadmirable Chrichton
You see, no-one... NO-ONE escapes the new world!!

The Official Timeslip Website
http://www.timeslip.org.uk